USCG HH-65 Down 4 dead.

Started by Flying Pig, February 29, 2012, 06:45:47 PM

Flying Pig

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/story/2012-02-28/coast-guard-helicopter-crash/53295486/1

Very sad day. Its interesting on a training note that they crashed in "only" 13 ft of water and none of them made it out alive. They recovered the body of the Rescue Swimmer.  The bodies of the two pilots and the aviation mech are still belived to be in the aircraft. 

davidsinn

Sounds like they must have crashed hard enough to incapacitate the crew. Thirteen feet of water should otherwise have been survivable. That sucks.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

It is not how deep the water is....but how fast you hit it.

Clear Skys guys.   :-\
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on February 29, 2012, 07:46:20 PM
It is not how deep the water is....but how fast you hit it.

Clear Skys guys.   :-\

That's what I meant. If they ditched slow they should have made it out OK. They apparently did not ditch softly for whatever reason.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Huey Driver

Well, let's hope there aren't 4 fatalities. But the chances are looking very slim.

RIP brothers.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Flying Pig

Well, the sad part is that they confirmed a couple of days ago that the rest of the crew is still in the aircraft but for whatever reason they werent able to retrieve them.

We do a lot of over water operations where I work, we attend Swift Water Rescue Tech school, Underwater Egress School with the Navy, we are all Navy 2nd class swimmers.....and then to read that NONE of them survived a crash into water, I am anticipating the findings. 

Huey Driver

Read today that the CG recovered the airframe with no bodies in it.

http://www.d8.uscgnews.com/go/doc/425/1323315/
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Flying Pig

Wow.  Hmmm, I had heard or read somewhere that the crew was still in the aircraft.  That throws a twist in it.  Those guys fly with top of the line survival gear and have the best training.  I still havnt heard any pre-lims on what caused the crash.