Cadet Interactive Live Oct 2021

Started by Eclipse, October 26, 2021, 05:20:12 PM

Eclipse

https://www.capnhq.gov/news/Documents/eServices%20Release%20Notes.pdf

"Scope: Cadet Programs is undergoing a major refresh with the debut of Cadet Interactive, a new Cyber
Security Aerospace Dimensions module, and updated CAPR 60-1. Check out the details in Cadet News
& Innovations:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/library/news-and-innovations

Beginning 26 October, Cadet Promotions will be processed using Professional Levels
framework. Cadets can access Cadet Interactive modules and cadet achievement testing through the
AXIS Learning Management System. There are updates to cadet promotion requirements regarding the
new Aerospace Dimensions module, test banking, Cadet Welcome course, and honor credit.

User guide: A users guide with applicable updates/changes will be available prior to the 26 October
2021 release date at:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/library/cadet-interactive

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

I for one am not impressed with this product.

I had hi hopes because interactive modules with actual checks to make sure that the student is learning and retaining the material can be incredibly good. I got my realtors license using interactive modules with stage checks and proctored tests, and it was a lot easier to learn than just sitting in a classroom, even though the classroom would have likely taken less time.

However, I've gone through some of these Cadet Interactive modules, and there is absolutely nothing in there to ensure that the cadets are learning or retaining the knowledge. You can click/scroll all the way through the material without reading one single word and then take the quiz at the end to get full credit. The quiz is a mere 4 questions and if you get a questions wrong you retake it. When you retake the quiz, it's the EXACT same questions in the EXACT same order; you literally just have to remember the quiz answers to pass the module. This is a massive failure and I predict we're going to see Wright Bros and Mitchell failure rates skyrocket.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

etodd

Quote from: jeders on October 26, 2021, 07:51:54 PMYou can click/scroll all the way through the material without reading one single word and then take the quiz at the end to get full credit.

Been that way for many "certificates" in the past. The Yeager for example. Open book, skip the reading and studying, and just search and/or Google the answers.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on October 27, 2021, 01:22:25 AM
Quote from: jeders on October 26, 2021, 07:51:54 PMYou can click/scroll all the way through the material without reading one single word and then take the quiz at the end to get full credit.

Been that way for many "certificates" in the past. The Yeager for example. Open book, skip the reading and studying, and just search and/or Google the answers.

Not an apt comparison.

This is not ticket-punching a ribbon intended as much as a unit esprit-de-corps exercise as
a test of AE history for adults who have received the information from school as well as
life experience, as characterized this represents a significant water-down of the expectations
for cadets who are likely receiving the information in CAP curriculum for the first time, and
which culminates in a closed-book, theoretically comprehensive test.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

I took the new cyber module last night just for funsies (subject matter is germane to my professional job).

First of all, I am reminded how terrible AXIS is as a platform. I can't believe it's a commercial company with other paying customers. The modules were hard to find, and I knew where to look. These 12 y/o new cadets will struggle with it.

The overall flow of the module was decent. Contents were a good introduction to the subject matter at an age appropriate level. I was texting my coworkers snarky comments about the "hacker" graphics they used. Hoodie == bad guy, no hoodie == good guy.  ::) 

The end of module quiz was dumb. I didn't pass it the first time because a couple of the answers don't make a ton of sense.

I still believe this concept is a better way to deliver instruction. Hopefully they can iterate on the implementation, but I suspect they (like VOLU) will be hamstrung by the platform's inadequacies.

Spam

Ned or any other teammates:

I have a cadet in one of my units who has been caught by the rollout here, and I need some advice for her.

A C/CMSGT, who had completed all the Ach.8 requirements, was delayed in getting her promotion last week due to a missing HFZ score. Now in eServices, it will not allow her promotion because it now requires her to go back and complete the (brand new) aerospace Module 7, which wasn't in existence when she was working to promote.

Is she out of luck to stay on her timeline to make Mitchell by the end of the calendar year?  Or, is there potential for a waiver?  There are three of us who are former and current DCPs here who are a bit at a loss...

R/s
Spam

PS the NHQ curriculum page hasn't caught up to this new system yet. It still isn't providing the new module to her to study - and cites only six modules - see: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/aerospace-education/curriculum

dwb

Although it's unfortunate when NHQ moves the goal posts, she can absolutely knock out the cadet interactive cyber module in one evening and still be on track to take her Mitchell exam.

Ned

Ned

Quote from: dwb on November 01, 2021, 11:38:04 PMAlthough it's unfortunate when NHQ moves the goal posts, she can absolutely knock out the cadet interactive cyber module in one evening and still be on track to take her Mitchell exam.
After checking, this is probably the best answer.  She should be able to complete the module easily within one session, and gets to correct the test online to 100%.

On the bright side, if she completes her Mitchell by the end of the year, she avoids any cyber questions on the milestone test.

Ned lee

TheSkyHornet

Now this leads me to ask...

Any cadet who did not advance by October 26, but completed their requisite items for their next promotion prior to October 26...do they have to complete the new modules?

For example:
I have a cadet who was ready to promote on November 18. They completed everything by the beginning of October. Are they going to get denied a promotion in eServices for not completing the new Cadet Interactive?

Spam

Hi, Hornet, 

The answer (as I read it from Ned), is "yes", our cadets (yours and mine) will be denied promotion until they meet the revisions that took effect on 1NOV.  Since the pending change was no secret (even if no direct mass emails were sent to hold their hands) no grandfathering, no waivers, etc. are justified. Arguably, the folks at NHQ/CP put out videos and websites as far back as August telling everyone this was coming, so "cadets should have planned better". Tough, but there it is.

If you go into Cadet Promotions, there is physically no way in the system to approve the promotion without a positive entry for AE7. So it has to happen IAW the new flow, if it didn't prior to the new system coming on line.

I will go back to my Squadrons (ccing my boss and keeping our DCP in the loop) with this feedback. 

Thanks, Ned!

V/r
Spam

Eclipse

Nothing says "retention" to an adolescent like making them do things twice or extra.

There needs to be a 1-off way to accommodate the in-betweeners.

We all know that a non-trivial number of Unit CC's are wholly unaware of any changes to the
CP, and some will be clueless into next year.

Also 100% guarantee there are a handful who have already presented the promotion intending to
"catch up the ppwrk next week", only to find they no longer can.

Cadets should not be held back or penalized for the failings of the system or their leadership.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dad Jokes

FYI, if I remember correctly that I just sat through the achievement 7 interactive AE test because I wanted to observe a cadet take it.... It... was... one... question... ONE

Eclipse

Quote from: Dad Jokes on November 04, 2021, 02:31:09 AMFYI, if I remember correctly that I just sat through the achievement 7 interactive AE test because I wanted to observe a cadet take it.... It... was... one... question... ONE

I'm in the "if you can't be bothered" camp as well, however CAP's history is littered with ex-members
who only had to do "one more thing" after they had completed whatever they were working towards,
and that "one more thing" was the last straw to quit the circus.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dad Jokes

Oh I didn't mean it as it wasn't difficult to go back and do.  More of are you kidding me, that's it?

jb3

I'm also not loving this new program. Mainly the way it was rolled out. I think some of the parts will help the cadet program overall in the future but CAP could do better when it makes big changes. Not only for the cadets, but also for the senior members responsible for running CP. For example, the cadet tracking report became my monthly tool for making sure that I didn't miss anything. Similar to what we used to do with the Senior Member PD report before Volunteer University made our lives "easier". Now you have to navigate the unnecessarily confusing Professional Levels. I'm sure I'll figure out the new system eventually, but like many other CP officers, I have a full-time job, family, life, etc. I love CAP and put in countless hours, but now I'll have to spend more hours re-learning a new system that was "fixed" despite not being broken. Ok, enough of a rant... For now!

Spam

I have other reports coming in from other units also, asking about stalled cadets, stuck records, blank screens that don't allow data entry, etc... not turning out to be a smooth experience. I'm tracking down the anecdotes of error screens/stalled blank screens to try to diagnose whats going on there. 

Getting 10PM THU night calls with complaints are not fun as a second or third order effect, here, so I hear what you're saying about unintended consequences of the roll out on the volunteer CP officer base (commanders, too).

Our DCP has scheduled a zoom call in a week to try to train the new system, where I hope she won't take a lot of heat.

R/s
Spam

TheSkyHornet

Any update on Module 7?

I'm also getting reports of cadets being "stuck" because they can't find where to take the new module.

Dad Jokes

Quote from: Dad Jokes on November 04, 2021, 02:31:09 AMFYI, if I remember correctly that I just sat through the achievement 7 interactive AE test because I wanted to observe a cadet take it.... It... was... one... question... ONE

On this one it was AE module #6 that I observed not 7. Just a follow up.

TheSkyHornet

Another week has gone by.

Anyone hear of any updates with Module 7?