Programming The E.F. Johnson 5113

Started by RBunn, October 15, 2021, 01:49:08 PM

RBunn

I am back in CAP after being away fo r30 years.  I am an active amateur radio operator, so I am now the squadron's comm officer.  I recently purchased an E.F. Johnson 5113 and took it to the wing DC to program.  But the radio would not take the program.  It appears that it firmware is 1.18.15 and it needs an OLDER programming software.  I downloaded it but it tells me that I don't have the permissions needed to run the software.  Any ideas?

Regards
SM Rick Bunn
Alexandria, VA.

PHall

Eclipse

You don't have permissions on your PC? If that's the case you'll need to admin.

If you're running some janky old version of a firmware updater, you may need to
run it in compatibility mode for a previous version of Windows.

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

The EFJs are notorious for needing different versions of PCConfigure to program different versions and firmware revisions of the radio; and the older versions of PCConfigure are also extremely picky about the operating systems they run on.

It's pretty hard to give general advice; if you're confident with your tech skills then what has worked for me in the past is creating a virtual machine to run a 32 bit Windows XP and giving it access to your serial port / USB port with USB-serial adaptor.

wacapgh

I finally just built an XP box to run PCConfig. Went out to the garage found an old board with serial ports, an unopened XP disk, case, etc.

JayCraswell

I think the last version of firmware for version 1 handhelds was 1.20.11 which is really solid.

For PCConfigure I would use 1.30.7  Someone told me this was a version made for us but... I'm not sure that is correct. The way it really works is you do a version check and whatever the file format is you can use any version of PCConfig that outputs that.  But beware writing any code plugs for any version means you can not read them in older versions. You can read older versions into a higher ver however.