Actual missions (Non-CAP and CAP)

Started by pascocap2002, March 27, 2014, 03:59:41 AM

pascocap2002

What missions have you participated at and in what capacity did you serve as?

(Note: This is posted here since this is primarily for CAP activities)

Non-CAP:

This past year has been busy with disaster relief operations.

First image: Tacloban Philippines after the Super Typhoon hit. Behind me you will see a Japanese Air Force C-130 and a Royal Australian Air Force C-130. I served as Incident Commander for 2 weeks and on site Physician for an additional 2 weeks. Then provided medical direction for an additional 2 months while also performing duties from search and rescue operations to recover operations in both urban search and rescue and underwater recovery. 

Second image: Bohol Philippines after the Earthquake and you can see the buildings with critical structural damage. My team provided on site medical relief and support operations for locals. We had our building and base there. We lost everything.

Third image: I was on TV in the Philippines during a TV show and they caught me helping others and assisting with a patient.  I was serving as medical director and instructor/advisor for a Volunteer Fire Fighting foundation and we were tasked with teaching actors how to be firefighters and medics and we went on actual calls. I did not expect to see me on TV but it was a delightful surprise.

Fourth image: Responding to a vehicular accident and extricating 2 Coastguardsman from a vehicle. While coming home from work one day, I heard over the radio that there was an MVA (motor vehicle accident) and it was directly on my way home and across the street from where I was, I arrived and assumed command of the accident, when Fire/EMS arrived, They elected to have me stay as incident commander and we extricated and the two coast guardsmen. (2 saves)

Over all, 2013 was a busy year and so was 2014 so far. I could post other years of operations but this is good for now.

CAP Missions:

2014 I went on a training mission and re-qualified as a Mission Observer and Mission Scanner. I need to re-qualify as Ground Team Leader and many others but so far, I am happy with the knowledge and progression of the certifications I am getting with CAP.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Eclipse

Various and sundry typical ELT hunts - 6 finds.  Haven't been on one personally in a number of years but my wing still gets them fairly frequently.

Hurricane Katrina in 2005 - Spent about a week at Stennis doing house-to-house well being checks and population surveys as well
as other related duties.

Assist the NTSB in 2007 searching for parts of a biz jet that had an uncontained engine failure on final.
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1540.msg23387#msg23387  !@#$%! eagle eye (then) Cadet USAFAUX2004 found the needle in the haystack (pic attached)

Kentucky Ice Quake in 2009 - spent another week in Paducah as GBD coordinating similar ground activities in the DA.

Disaster Assessment after major flooding - GBD / GTL coordinating house to house assessments for the ARC.

Aerial survey for NOAA of tornado destruction swath as Scanner / AP.

Aerial survey of Ice Damming for an EMA as Scanner / AP.

Had several missing persons missions I was involved in at the high-level ESO / LO level.

And the last year or so coordinating several customer-funded DR/DA missions of aerial surveys of rivers, bridges, ice dams,
flooding and post-tornado work, etc.  Planing Section Chief or Liaison Officer or both for those.

"That Others May Zoom"

BFreemanMA

Nothing, but I suppose it's a good thing that our services haven't been needed in Massachusetts!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Spaceman3750

I have an ELT find from a King Air. I helped out with the  2007 (I think?) ice storm as a CAP member in a Red Cross warming shelter. Coordinated  my group's assistance to a 1AF mission to spread word about a TFR when POTUS came home to Chicago.

THRAWN

Probably about 40 or so ELT finds...for a while that was how me and my first wife spent out date nights....

TWA800 in 96, as a beach walker, looking for debris along the NJ coast.

A few MPS in the hills in NW NJ. 2 finds, one wandered home and we got recalled.

Ice storms in NY in 96-97, working with the OEM and ARC doing DA and Shelter Managment.

JFK Jr in 99, doing ramp checks.

Damage assessment in Hackensack after Hurricane Floyd in 99.

9/11, did little with CAP, lots of coordination and logistics movement. Did some work with the NJ OEM and DMAVA.

Katrina was assigned to a DHS TF doing communications. Gustav in 08 was assigned to an enhanced DHS TF doing contingency communications, security, and evacuation coordination.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Huey Driver

Two nondistress, rainy-day ELT finds. Probably ~30 hours with CAP doing DR for Hurricane Sandy, and another 30 hours repairing our house's flooded bottom floor (my god, was that a mission...). Waiting to work an aircrew mission now.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

LSThiker

My only good story was an ELT mission that resulted in me finding a regional control tower.

The Infamous Meerkat

1st picture: Distress ELT for an aircraft that pinged a 406 beacon shortly after ground radar lost its contact. It was a flight with three hunters on it, family had already driven into Cascade when the ALNOT went out, and we couldn't move until the morning. Idaho DOA and CAP, as well as ARNG Blackhawks are already in the air as we roll in early in the morning, and about 45 minutes later into us setting up a forward liaison post, the little Lakota helicopter found it. They dropped a PJ to confirm no survivors. Worst part about that one is the Valley County sheriff's office had just sent out two ground teams no more than a few minutes before we got on scene...

Second picture: Hiking the mountain in search of the Smith family aircraft in December. Notice the non regulation headgear that I didn't care about getting in trouble for... It was cold!!! :P We worked that side of the mountain with an Idaho Mountain Search and Rescue unit team and actually got very close to the site, but had to end our deployment that day before the sun went down. The family funded searchers later found it with the aid of photo reviewers for the aerial photography that had been done and a snow cat that they drove some of the distance with.

And lastly, Boise/Nampa area's search vehicle, all lit up at night. It's also got the dual VHF and an HF setup that can't be seen. That little thing now has some of my respect. :D
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

The Infamous Meerkat

Second...

SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

The Infamous Meerkat

Third...
These wouldn't go onto one post for some reason... but I am doing it from my phone....

SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on March 27, 2014, 04:23:45 AM
Various and sundry typical ELT hunts - 6 finds.  Haven't been on one personally in a number of years but my wing still gets them fairly frequently.

Hurricane Katrina in 2005 - Spent about a week at Stennis doing house-to-house well being checks and population surveys as well
as other related duties.

Assist the NTSB in 2007 searching for parts of a biz jet that had an uncontained engine failure on final.
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1540.msg23387#msg23387  !@#$%! eagle eye (then) Cadet USAFAUX2004 found the needle in the haystack (pic attached)

Kentucky Ice Quake in 2009 - spent another week in Paducah as GBD coordinating similar ground activities in the DA.

Disaster Assessment after major flooding - GBD / GTL coordinating house to house assessments for the ARC.

Aerial survey for NOAA of tornado destruction swath as Scanner / AP.

Aerial survey of Ice Damming for an EMA as Scanner / AP.

Had several missing persons missions I was involved in at the high-level ESO / LO level.

And the last year or so coordinating several customer-funded DR/DA missions of aerial surveys of rivers, bridges, ice dams,
flooding and post-tornado work, etc.  Planing Section Chief or Liaison Officer or both for those.

That NTSB mission was great. Good crew and good memories. Can't believe that was over 7 years ago!

Spaceman3750

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on March 29, 2014, 06:39:08 AM
Third...
These wouldn't go onto one post for some reason... but I am doing it from my phone....

Those Expeditions are pretty awesome. We have two in my wing and I play with them at every opportunity.

Devil Doc

Ive been on Standbye for 2 Missions? I have not been called out :(

I volunteer for the RedCross DAT team, I have been called out a few times for that.
August 2014, will be 2 years In CAP. I hope I atleast have one Mission Under my Belt.

I do, However, Have lots of Qualifications in CAP, just waiting to use them.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

PHall

DevilDoc, you will probably see way more action with the Red Cross then you will see with CAP.

SunDog

On a couple of night ELT's, on RTB, shutting off our lights and transponder, slowing to MCAS and sneaking up on a container ship from behind, and rolling the mains on the top of one of the containers. That was a hoot!

Once, when we had several aircraft airborne, two of us met at a prearranged location and had a ten minute mock dogfight. We finished off with a "tallest rooster tail" contest on a mountain lake. My buddy won that, though I think actually touching the wheels on the water was cheating. . .

PHall

Quote from: SunDog on April 02, 2014, 03:42:17 AM
On a couple of night ELT's, on RTB, shutting off our lights and transponder, slowing to MCAS and sneaking up on a container ship from behind, and rolling the mains on the top of one of the containers. That was a hoot!

Once, when we had several aircraft airborne, two of us met at a prearranged location and had a ten minute mock dogfight. We finished off with a "tallest rooster tail" contest on a mountain lake. My buddy won that, though I think actually touching the wheels on the water was cheating. . .

Weak.... ::)

SunDog

I was sleepy. . .almost crossed the line from fiction to fact, but held back at the last minute. There was plenty of room under that bridge anyway. . .

a2capt

SunDog

Dusk, late twilight, bridge over water, in quick; one pass, skedaddle. Laugh like a lunatic, then sweat out the next two months wondering if you're busted.   Not suggesting or reccomending, just saying, as impure speculation, that this might be the way to go about it.

a2capt

People have done that .. to that very bridge ;-)

SunDog

Out of my league; plus the cars, right there.  Get caught and/or hurt someone. . .but whoever did it with no harm done, then good on 'em!

SarDragon

I-15! And then there's its mate on I-805.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret