Rack Builder, yo Baronet68

Started by Stonewall, March 20, 2019, 11:56:59 PM

Stonewall

I've been using your rack builder a lot lately. Most recently, I used it to build my mini medal rack for my mess dress.

I noticed it shows that the NCSA medal exists, however, Vanguard doesn't offer one for sale.

Anyone got any clarity on this one?
Serving since 1987.

WillTheCommsGuy

Half of the mini medals it shows on their don't exist. If it ain't on Vanguard, chances are it doesn't exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baronet68

I suppose I should include a disclaimer that the appearance of a miniature medal on the rack builder does not guarantee its commercial availability. Across the years, some mini medals seems to have gone in and out of production (e.g. I know a few people in possession of medals that are not currently available from Vanguard).   

In theory, all of the medals "should" exist and the rack builder provides an example of their precedence and attachments.  Note the actual medal suspension design shown for most of the medals is just a generic representation.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

Where are you building min-medals on there?

Or are you just saying you can't take your normal rack and match it 1-for-1?

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on March 21, 2019, 07:23:48 PM
Where are you building min-medals on there?

Or are you just saying you can't take your normal rack and match it 1-for-1?

In addition to the regular ribbon rack, the rack builder also displays all of the corresponding mini-medals.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

I see it now - haven't been there since the upgrades. Still the best one.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: baronet68 on March 21, 2019, 07:18:55 PM
I suppose I should include a disclaimer that the appearance of a miniature medal on the rack builder does not guarantee its commercial availability. Across the years, some mini medals seems to have gone in and out of production (e.g. I know a few people in possession of medals that are not currently available from Vanguard).   

In theory, all of the medals "should" exist and the rack builder provides an example of their precedence and attachments.  Note the actual medal suspension design shown for most of the medals is just a generic representation.

No worries and thanks, as always, for your brilliant product.

I was just ordering mini-medals and when I didn't see the NCSA medal available via Vanguard, I thought maybe I missed something.
Serving since 1987.

maholtzclaw

We do not have mini medals for every CAP ribbon.  Just as the Air Force does not have one for every one of their ribbons. The Air Force Award for Organizational Excellence case in point.  Note the mini medals have differing medallions specific to their award. 
Mark A. Holtzclaw Maj, CAP
Director Aerospace Education
Ohio Wing

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on March 21, 2019, 08:31:36 PMI see it now - haven't been there since the upgrades. Still the best one.

I have never seen a star on a Commanders Commendation before.  I looked it up in 39-3.............and discovered my own ribbon rack has been wrong for seven years now.

baronet68

Quote from: maholtzclaw on June 14, 2019, 05:49:44 PM
We do not have mini medals for every CAP ribbon.  Just as the Air Force does not have one for every one of their ribbons. The Air Force Award for Organizational Excellence case in point. 

Based on the medals currently available from Vanguard, one might think that there are only 32 awards with corresponding miniature medals.  However, there are medals in existence which have been manufactured in the past but that are not currently available from Vanguard (e.g. Counterdrug).  There are also medals which theoretically should exist (e.g. Cadet Special Activity Ribbon) but that are not currently being manufactured.

The McChord.org rack builder provides a representative sample of the medals, their attachments, and order of precedence but makes no guarantee that all medals are commercially available for purchase.

Quote from: maholtzclaw on June 14, 2019, 05:49:44 PM
Note the mini medals have differing medallions specific to their award.

You are correct, however the McChord.org rack builder utilizes more than 2,000 graphic images (all painstakingly made by yours truly using MS Paint) so I opted to simplify the design for all medals below the Meritorious Service Award.  Many of the medallions feature imagery symbolic of their original ribbon designs and, if my future time and skills allow, I will attempt to render the appropriate medallions for more medals.

Meanwhile, the McChord.org rack builder will continue to provide a representative sample of the medals, their attachments, and order of precedence.

baronet68

Quote from: baronet68 on June 15, 2019, 07:18:59 AM
... if my future time and skills allow, I will attempt to render the appropriate medallions for more medals.

Well, I put the free time of my quiet weekend to good use and now most of the medals on the rack builder have the appropriate medallions.   8)

Shuman 14

QuoteWell, I put the free time of my quiet weekend to good use and now most of the medals on the rack builder have the appropriate medallions.

You're a good man Major Moore.  :)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Holding Pattern

I found a mistake.

"Cadets do not wear miniature meals on any uniform combinations."

While technically accurate, I do not believe that is the intended message!

baronet68

Quote from: Holding Pattern on June 29, 2019, 04:20:33 AM
I found a mistake.

??? :o :P

Nice catch... Thanks, I've fixed that.
;D ;D ;D

Also, looking for input on a new section of the rack builder to display ribbons from CAP's history. 

http://www.mcchord.org/rack_builder/historic.asp

It's still a work in progress (so play nicely) but I'd love to hear input on the historic rack displays.  Not a true "rack builder" just yet, but should get there eventually. 

The ultimate goal is to select a year, then pick ribbons from that era to build a rack with... ideally for those assembling historically-accurate uniforms for display or those nostalgic for the classic cartoon ribbons.

MSG Mac

I found a mistake.

You've never eaten with cadets
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RangerConlin

The historical builder is cool.  I know it would be a lot of work, but it would be interesting from a CAP history perspective if you could click on the ribbon and get a description of the name, when it was awarded, and what for.

OldGuy

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 29, 2019, 01:05:35 PM
I found a mistake.

As a cadet, back when Fred Flintstone ruled the airways, mess hall spaghetti was ALWAYS served just before encampment inspections. And we all wore miniature meals.  It appears to have been a basic law of nature.

PHall

Quote from: OldGuy on June 30, 2019, 02:00:06 AM
I found a mistake.

As a cadet, back when Fred Flintstone ruled the airways, mess hall spaghetti was ALWAYS served just before encampment inspections. And we all wore miniature meals.  It appears to have been a basic law of nature.

It's the law, anytime you wear a light blue shirt something with red sauce will be served. ::)

baronet68

Quote from: RangerConlin on June 29, 2019, 10:41:21 PM
The historical builder is cool.  I know it would be a lot of work, but it would be interesting from a CAP history perspective if you could click on the ribbon and get a description of the name, when it was awarded, and what for.

Everything you've described is in the pipeline. 

For now, I can offer this temporary page (which does contain some errors) as a snapshot of what was awarded and when:
http://www.mcchord.org/rack_builder/historical.html

OldGuy

Quote from: PHall on June 30, 2019, 02:17:30 AM
Quote from: OldGuy on June 30, 2019, 02:00:06 AM
I found a mistake.

It's the law, anytime you wear a light blue shirt something with red sauce will be served. ::)
And a white shirt means "change the toner today!"