AAFES Access for CAP members

Started by Eclipse, March 10, 2006, 08:06:06 AM

DakRadz

Quote from: Ned on May 31, 2016, 07:29:19 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 31, 2016, 07:18:55 PM

Even if it costed a bit more, I would be in complete favor of NHQ having a supply program through which items could be procured through CAP, paid for by CAP members and shipped to their home units or personal location without having to essentially "figure it out on your own." It's just like the Voucher: "Use it at Vanguard." Why couldn't CAP just obtain the items for the cadets based on their input information and cut the B.S. with the "voucher."

I think you have pretty much answered your own question.  CAP could, of course, purchase/acquire the uniforms and accessories and mail them to members.  It would, as you suggest, require an considerable investment in infrastructure.  We would need space to store, process and ship thousands of uniforms a year.  Plus a half dozen employees or so.   Who would have to be paid a competitive wage, along with benefits, etc.

That pretty much describes what we used to call the Bookstore (later CAPMART).  And we consistently lost tens of thousands of dollars a year trying to run a retail operation.  Despite several reorganizations and serious tweaking over many years. 

That's we outsource that function to folks who have a great deal of expertise in uniform and accessories.  And who already have warehouses, order processing folks, and a shipping line.  They can do if far more cheaply and efficiently than we could ever hope to do so.  That's a win for our members.

I think it would be far easier to have a "kit" option. The software exists.

I put in my year, make, model of car and get a "kit" for front suspension (this week will be fun, I ain't no mechanic)

Why not a package on Vanguard, or "New Cadet Kit" that requires sizes be input and already includes everything that is needed? Maybe several packages with actual descriptions of what is provided and how they help you? I think the tweaks can be made to Vanguard without making more drastic changes. I, for one, still remember coming into CAP and people talking about how nice it was to not deal with the Bookstore even if Big V is slow.

Майор Хаткевич

Big V had a rocky start, but much of that was on CAP, not them. Still was miles better than the bookstore or CAPMart

Paul Creed III

Quote from: DakRadz on June 02, 2016, 04:21:02 AM

Even if it costed a bit more, I would be in complete favor of NHQ having a supply program through which items could be procured through CAP, paid for by CAP members and shipped to their home units or personal location without having to essentially "figure it out on your own." It's just like the Voucher: "Use it at Vanguard." Why couldn't CAP just obtain the items for the cadets based on their input information and cut the B.S. with the "voucher."

I think you have pretty much answered your own question.  CAP could, of course, purchase/acquire the uniforms and accessories and mail them to members.  It would, as you suggest, require an considerable investment in infrastructure.  We would need space to store, process and ship thousands of uniforms a year.  Plus a half dozen employees or so.   Who would have to be paid a competitive wage, along with benefits, etc.

That pretty much describes what we used to call the Bookstore (later CAPMART).  And we consistently lost tens of thousands of dollars a year trying to run a retail operation.  Despite several reorganizations and serious tweaking over many years. 

That's we outsource that function to folks who have a great deal of expertise in uniform and accessories.  And who already have warehouses, order processing folks, and a shipping line.  They can do if far more cheaply and efficiently than we could ever hope to do so.  That's a win for our members.

I put in my year, make, model of car and get a "kit" for front suspension (this week will be fun, I ain't no mechanic)

Why not a package on Vanguard, or "New Cadet Kit" that requires sizes be input and already includes everything that is needed? Maybe several packages with actual descriptions of what is provided and how they help you? I think the tweaks can be made to Vanguard without making more drastic changes. I, for one, still remember coming into CAP and people talking about how nice it was to not deal with the Bookstore even if Big V is slow.

To an extent, this is done now with the Curry voucher: the cadet goes to a special webpage that has a complete Blues "kit", picks sizes, plugs in their credit card for anything over the voucher amount and it shows up in a box a little while later. Certainly helps to avoid the "I forgot/didn't know I needed it" when their Blues are not complete.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Paul Creed III on June 02, 2016, 12:27:20 PM
Quote from: DakRadz on June 02, 2016, 04:21:02 AM

To an extent, this is done now with the Curry voucher: the cadet goes to a special webpage that has a complete Blues "kit", picks sizes, plugs in their credit card for anything over the voucher amount and it shows up in a box a little while later. Certainly helps to avoid the "I forgot/didn't know I needed it" when their Blues are not complete.

Meanwhile:

If you're near an Air Force installation, you can buy uniform garments (but not CAP insignia) at the Exchange or base thrift store.

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/new_cadet_help/uniforms/

And back to square one.

np1

The reading material available on the CAP website is very clear on the restrictions for purchase by CAP members at the commissary. I'm not one who joined the CAP for those benefits unlike what was suggested by someone on this forum somewhere. However, personally knowing that there are civilian contract workers who are on visas even , that have access to such facilities, makes me wonder why not CAP members? After all these contract workers just do regular jobs like any other civilian out there, and don't even offer to do anything close to what CAP members are willing to do! CAP members are not military alright, but they are willing to serve the Air Force with pride in whatever way they are able to, when asked to, and even put their money and time forward voluntarily to do so, compared to the contractors who are making fat salaries and nothing more!

SarDragon

Unless things have changed recently, contractors only get commissary and exchange privileges in overseas areas. CAP members in overseas units generally already have these bennies, since they are usually either on active duty, or are dependents.

There's no reason for either group to have this stateside.

BTW, DECA and AAFES/NEX/MCX are distinctly different activities, and operate under different sets of rules. DECA is an appropriated fund activity, and operates with tax dollars. The exchanges are non-appropriated fund activities, and are self-sustaining based on sales, and have looser rules.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Not to mention that you can get pretty much the same prices at Walmart. ::)

SarDragon

Depends on the brand. The sales tax savings can add up, though.

Sent from my phone.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

After 10-1/2 some years it might be time to retire / unsticky this as it is no longer applicable.

AAFES access is really no longer an option for CAP members, certainly not in the way Rosie helped
us back in 2006.

Yes, members can access MCSS at various bases, but the days of mail or phone orders are inexplicably,
and without any formal notice to this day, gone.

"That Others May Zoom"

TotalForce

Whatever happened to that Total Force thing huh?

Wear our blues, do the SAR's, get the fingerpinting and the FBI checks but still the red headed step child ;)

THRAWN

Quote from: TotalForce on April 14, 2017, 06:34:33 PM

Wear our blues, do the SAR's, get the fingerpinting and the FBI checks but still the red headed step child ;)

Hardly. CAP has a role and it fills that role. Want something outside of that role or some other special privilege? You're free to explore those options. Otherwise, stay in your lane.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TotalForce

Quote from: THRAWN on April 14, 2017, 07:18:12 PM

Hardly. CAP has a role and it fills that role. Want something outside of that role or some other special privilege? You're free to explore those options. Otherwise, stay in your lane.

Role as USAF AUX with no perks? Total Force means just a name or big borther should also put out some better rules for the volunteer force a la CG AUX?

My post was to ask for some true opinions of what other members think. that is all :)

vorteks

Quote from: TotalForce on April 17, 2017, 02:48:19 PM

Role as USAF AUX with no perks? Total Force means just a name or big borther should also put out some better rules for the volunteer force a la CG AUX?

My post was to ask for some true opinions of what other members think. that is all :)

There were already 5 pages of opinions on this before you blundered onto the scene.

TotalForce

Quote from: vorteks on April 17, 2017, 02:58:06 PM
Quote from: TotalForce on April 17, 2017, 02:48:19 PM

There were already 5 pages of opinions on this before you blundered onto the scene.

Typical to name call I see.

You should never post your picture on the internet. I suggest you remove it hahaha.

ColonelJack

TotalForce: 

Tread cautiously here. 

I'm just sayin'.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

SarDragon

Dave Bowles