AAFES Access for CAP members

Started by Eclipse, March 10, 2006, 08:06:06 AM

pascocap2002

I just read this stating that CAP cards will not allow you access on this base:

http://www.charleston.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123226087

abdsp51

That is at the determination of the Wing commander.  The story linked is over 3 years old and chances are that Charleston has measures in place for CAP to have access just no one has probably asked about it.

spaatzmom

did you notice the date on the article was in 2010?

pascocap2002

I am behind the times and catching up. Reading old threads to see if there are any updates on the policies.

CAP-USAF is improving because one senior member tried to get on MacDill AFB with his CAPID card and was turned away 2 years ago and one of my friends just got on base with only a CAPID card last week.

To me, it appears that things are getting better for CAP members to get on base.

a2capt

Quote from: pascocap2002 on January 23, 2014, 01:53:49 AMI am behind the times and catching up. Reading old threads to see if there are any updates on the policies.
.. and replying to them to up a post count? ;)

abdsp51

Quote from: pascocap2002 on January 23, 2014, 01:53:49 AM
I am behind the times and catching up. Reading old threads to see if there are any updates on the policies.

CAP-USAF is improving because one senior member tried to get on MacDill AFB with his CAPID card and was turned away 2 years ago and one of my friends just got on base with only a CAPID card last week.

To me, it appears that things are getting better for CAP members to get on base.

Don't jump the gun.  Have your CC, PAO or group PAO or CC contact the base and find out the proper means for entry.  Your friend may have violated base policy with that.

pascocap2002

Perhaps they were in violation of a base policy. I do know that a lot of CAP members think they can just enter a USAF base and buy uniform items.

MSG Mac

MacDill is extremely strict on base access, when I was stationed there cabs and busses were not allowed past the front gate.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

CAPklass

J2H

You'll more than likely need an EAL (access list) or visitor's pass, as everyone accessing the installation (esp Charleston, where I was stationed) has to have a DBIDS scanable ID Card
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

DrewBirds

This is definitely an old topic but...
In case someone reads this three in the future:
If you're rated at 100 percent by the VA and you have the award letter head to any military base in your area then show the MP your award letter and State ID. You will be directed to the ID card center and given a uniformed ID card for 100 percent disabled veterans. Then you get full PX privileges. Anything tobacco even. If you're a Coast Aux member you can visit Coast Guard exchanges I believe. Not sure though. They can't buy cigarettes or booze I do know that. If you served after 1982 you're pretty much already enrolled in DEERS so if you're 100 percent just hit up ebenefits and print a verification letter. Other than that I didn't know they let CAP members shop for uniforms on bases.

DrewBirds

Quote from: pascocap2002 on January 23, 2014, 02:02:21 AM
Perhaps they were in violation of a base policy. I do know that a lot of CAP members think they can just enter a USAF base and buy uniform items.
Even me. I have 100 percent perm and total from the VA. I called Wright Patterson and told them the rules regarding 100 percent vets. No way they said. I drove to Ft. Knox KY and had no trouble getting on base and obtaining an ID card and getting ID for my dependents. Now I know some folks think that going on base is kosher because they never served on AD. But, Air Force bases from what I hear and little knowledge I have are very strict. A recruiter I know for the Air Guard invited me out to hang out with the wing during drill weekend. Even then MPs checked my ID and called the guy. Then I was let in. Army Guard armories here don't have MPs posted at a gate even during drill weekend.

PHall

Quote from: DrewBirds on June 28, 2015, 06:01:12 AM
Even me. I have 100 percent perm and total from the VA. I called Wright Patterson and told them the rules regarding 100 percent vets. No way they said. I drove to Ft. Knox KY and had no trouble getting on base and obtaining an ID card and getting ID for my dependents. Now I know some folks think that going on base is kosher because they never served on AD. But, Air Force bases from what I hear and little knowledge I have are very strict. A recruiter I know for the Air Guard invited me out to hang out with the wing during drill weekend. Even then MPs checked my ID and called the guy. Then I was let in. Army Guard armories here don't have MPs posted at a gate even during drill weekend.

On Air Force Installations, per the regulations, it's the Base Commander's call on who is allowed to enter.

On the Air Guard Base thing, they have no services there which means unless you were part of one of the units that were drilling, you had no good reason to be there. That's why the recruiter had to vouch you in.

kwe1009

I would suggest that you go to the visitor's center and try to get on.  Sometimes the person you call may not know the answer, may think they know the right answer, and are too "busy" to look for the right answer.

PHall

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 29, 2015, 02:39:33 PM

I would suggest that you go to the visitor's center and try to get on.  Sometimes the person you call may not know the answer, may think they know the right answer, and are too "busy" to look for the right answer.

Most Guard Bases don't have a Visitor's Center. They're too small and they rarely get visitors.

kwe1009

Quote from: PHall on July 09, 2015, 01:00:20 AM
Quote from: kwe1009 on June 29, 2015, 02:39:33 PM

Most Guard Bases don't have a Visitor's Center. They're too small and they rarely get visitors.

He said he couldn't get into Wright Patt.  My reply was in reference to that.

Lem

Not sure if this helps or not.
When I was looking for a Class A service coat the only place I could find one was at the AAFES on Andrews Air force base in Md.
They would not sell it or ship it to me over the phone  I had to personally go in and purchase the item.  This was about four hour drive for me. Luckily I had to go to Md that weekend but my final destination was one the other side of the belt way. 

When I arrived at the base entrance  I had no problem getting on base just by showing him my CAP ID (no picture on my Id at that time) and drivers license. And the guard was very helpful in directing me around some construction to the AAFES.  I made my way to the counter and picked up my item again showing  my CAP ID and drivers license and was on my way.  This was about two years ago.

I had been in the Virginia Defense Force for almost thirteen years and not all Virginia army /guard bases will honor the the VDF. ID's
I believe unless something has changed Ft Picket PX will not allow VDF personnel to buy uniform items, they can buy certain food/grocery items. Ft Lee did allow VDF to buy uniform items, I bought my Class A uniform items there.  Like many have said it all depends on the base you are trying to get on.

In hind sight if I had not been going to MD anyway  I most likely would have placed a call to Andrews to make sure I was allowed on the property.  This was just my experience yours may differ 

MSG Mac

This article may help with Uniform purchases in the future.

Exchange Online Shopping Update 04  ►   All Vet Proposal Status

The idea of expanding online exchange-shopping benefits to all honorably discharged veterans is moving closer to reality, with all three military-exchange services supporting the idea. The Defense Department's deputy chief management officer is addressing the related issues, Army and Air Force Exchange Service CEO Thomas C. Shull confirmed. Once the concept is approved, the online benefit could be rolled out to veterans within as little as six months. At a session of the American Logistics Association's annual convention 27 OCT, DoD Deputy Chief Management Officer Peter Levine did not directly talk about online exchange privileges for veterans, but he did say the department is looking at ways to expand the customer base in the military resale community.

The Navy and its Navy Exchange Service Command support the idea, said NEXCOM CEO and retired Rear Adm. Robert J. Bianchi. There are details to be worked out, but "in general, we all believe we can get there," Bianchi said in an interview. "It's a nice way to provide a version of a nonpay benefit to those who have served," Bianchi said. The benefit would be for online shopping only; honorably discharged veterans would be able to shop at the Navy Exchange website, Mynavyexchange.com, as well as the AAFES website, Shopmyexchange.com. While Shull has been the point man on the idea, Bianchi said, "we've been working collaboratively." "Frankly, [veterans] would go back and forth between [the sites] and have freedom of choice," Bianchi said, "And Veterans Canteen Service would continue to have an online presence."

Cindy Whitman Lacy, director of the Marine Corps' Nonappropriated Fund Business and Support Services Division, said the Marine Corps Exchange is also supportive of the veterans online-shopping benefit. While all the services, including the Marine Corps and Coast Guard, support the idea, "we still have work to do" with the Veterans Canteen Service, Shull said. "We want to make it work for them, too," he said. VCS operates resale stores in Veterans Affairs medical facilities. One reason the benefit hasn't been rolled out already, Shull said, is concerns about whether the AAFES website could handle the potential large wave of extra customers.

The website suffered myriad problems when it was relaunched a year ago, but those issues have been resolved, he said. Shull noted that about 50 percent of online customers had complaints a year ago, compared to about 4 percent now. Shull submitted a proposal to defense officials in May 2014, arguing that even if they don't serve to retirement, honorably discharged veterans should get this modest benefit to honor their service. He said it's particularly appropriate in light of the numerous wartime deployments over the past 15 years. "If I could leave with my team this legacy, providing a benefit where all veterans could shop online — strictly online — I'd feel like I actually made a
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

supertigerCH

probably unlikely to ever really happen, however...

one model (or interesting idea) is the following =

i remember that many years ago, the reserve components of the military (Guard & Reserve)... were not allowed full access to the commissary.

each member of the reserve components was given a "commissary card", that was good for 12 total visits per year.  every time a reserve component member shopped at the commissary, one of their visits on the card was punched (or "marked off").  once all 12 visits had been used up, no more shopping was permitted for that year.

often i have wondered if a similar model could work for a military auxiliary like CAP.  it would give a partial benefit for using the BX, but would address the Air Force's concern -- of limiting CAP use, and making sure that members of the regular military would still have plenty of the resource for themselves (since the primary purpose of the BX facility is to service their needs).

the Air Force / DoD is correct to be concerned about this... since you don't want to have so many people shopping at the exchange that supplies run low (or get backed up)... and then suddenly the primary customers are not getting everything they need.

although an Auxiliary like CAP could be granted a limited amount of access (for the service they give)... there must be a way to ensure the regular military are always the main customers... being given priority.

could a similar type of system work for CAP?  having some type of BX card... (or software based account -- in the exchange's computer system)...   which would only allow a certain amount of visits (or spending limit)?  the computer would keep track of CAP member visits per year... and make sure people didn't use more than the limited benefit that was allocated to them.

some of the people in this forum who were members of the military "back in the day" might remember the old commissary card system that i'm talking about.  it seems that such a way of doing things could be possible (at the BX) for an auxiliary like CAP... but the question is (like everything else) whether or not the Air Force (DoD) would agree, and decide to use such a concept.

in my opinion probably very unlikely... however sometimes the thought has rolled around in my head...  as to whether something like it could work.

thoughts on this anyone?  ideas?  friendly criticism?  agree / disagree?  if interested, feel free to share and discuss.

[when I mention BX use... I am referring to shopping in the BX aside from clothing sales (which are already guaranteed to CAP).  also I am not talking about when CAP members are on base on Air Force orders...  because different rules regarding BX use apply in that situation.]

PHall

Won't work because CAP is not in DEERS. The Guard and Reserve are in DEERS. AAFES uses the DEERS database to determine who is authorized.