AAFES Access for CAP members

Started by Eclipse, March 10, 2006, 08:06:06 AM

Eclipse

This question has come up in several places, especially recently, so I thought I would post it up here and on cadetstuff.org as a reference.

CAP members have purchase privileges at AAFES as well as base exchanges and clothing sales.  We are ONLY authorized to purchase uniform items through AAFES. The same goes for base exchanges and clothing sales.  The rules are a bit different if you are stationed on a respective base, either temporarily or permanently.  When in doubt, read the regs or consult your wing's LO.

Full privileges:
     Active Duty Military
     Military Retirees
     Reserves
     National Guard personnel
     Department of State Officials serving in foreign countries
     and dependants of the above

Restricted privileges:
   ROTC
   Foreign Officers
   Civil Air Patrol
   Coast Guard Auxiliary

It is correct that we are not authorized to purchase items online. Sales must be done manually, via telephone or fax.  I recommend direct phone call.  Your best bet is to call them and request a catalog, or if you are near an AAFES store or base exchange, just run in and request one.  Each service has their own catalog.

In most cases, military clothing runs smaller than civilian clothing, if for no other reason than the cuts are usually tapered, so you can almost bet you'll need at least one size larger than an equivalent item from Target.  However similar items between services are usually identical or close enough to use as a gauge (example, a USN wheel cap can be used to size your head for a USAF wheel cap, likewise service coats, etc.).  So if you don't have a USAF AAFES store near you, but you do have a NAVEx store, you can at least try things on before you order them.

Any AAFES store should be able to order anything from the AAFES inventory, as well as
do your alterations.  Few civilian tailors will hook you up on a military dress jacket as well as an AAFES or base exchange tailor who does 20 a week. And the NAVEx's will generally have no issue doing alterations for you on a jacket you bring in - our people up here do it at NSGL all the time.

Another thing many people don't know is that AAFES can custom order blouses and other parts if your sizes are outside the norm.  I have personally ordered custom-made USAF blouses through
the Scott AFB AAFES store , as they did not carry 19-1/2" neck, 37" sleeves.  It took a couple of weeks, but the ladies down there were great and hand-held the order for me.

And to that issue, for goodness sake, be courteous!  Once you know the 1-2-3, its pretty straightforward, but it depending on what you order and from where, like anything else there may be hiccups, and you have to hand-hold this a little more than you might prefer.  I've heard more scuttle lately about CAP people acting like Alpha-Hotel's to AAFES and Vanguard, which isn't going to make it any EASIER for us.  Remember, the operator does not know the whole history of the CAP-USAF relationship, etc.  we are just one of thousands calling that day.

Ok, enough of that…

Here's AAFES's site:  http://www.aafes.com/

You will not be able to login unless you are a member of the military, retired, etc., but you can get the phone numbers you'll need from there.  Bear in mind these are standard colors, styles, etc.
Every officer in the USAF wears the same jacket - the ability to "browse" doesn't have a lot of use in this case.

Call 1-800-527-2345, and ask the operator for assistance in setting up a CAP purchasing account.  For a long time, they would refer you to "Rosie" who was the operator who
handled the manual CAP transactions.  The first purchase takes the longest - once you are in the system, things will go much smoother.

Whether you wind up talking direct to Rosie, or to someone else, you will need to fax a letter into AAFES explaining your status as a CAP member. The letter will need to include your
full name, address, SSN#, CAPID, grade, home unit, etc.  Make sure you are clear form the operator on the requirements of the letter.

On the bottom of the letter you will need to include a copy of your CAP ID, and a photo ID, usually a driver's license.  Make sure they are legible.

Follow up in a day or so that the letter was received and that you are good to go.  Obviously
this is something you should do in advance of the need.  Don't expect to call a week before
your dining out to order your Mess Dress, and then get cranky when it takes "too long". Also,
bear in mind that we are at war, and some items are in short supply all over.

From here you should be able to place your order(s). The more information you have regarding part number, size, color (i.e. 1620 vs 1625, etc.), will makes things easier. I have found the AAFES people very helpful and knowledgeable about their PRODUCTS, however do not expect them to know AFI 36-2903, let alone CAPM 39-1, so don't ask for advice regarding regs, etc.

Once you are done with the order, invariably the operator (unless its "Rosie"), will request credit card info, etc., and then reach a point where they try and close the order and find they can't because you are not military.

Now, I have been told, that a work-around for this is to fill in field V006 with day code "040981",
this worked the last time I ordered something.  If it doesn't anymore, well, systems change.
That code enabled the order to be closed immediately.

If they are not able to release the order, it will go to "Rosie" for manual release.  Unless she is out, she is good about getting things done.  I'm sure some of you are grumbling right now about
only having "one person handle CAP".  But my understanding is that CAP volume into AAFES is fairly light and one person is all they need.

If the order was released by the operator, you should receive it without further intervention, if it goes to manual, I would suggest calling back and checking on it in a day or so.

As I said, I have also, in the past, called AAFES stores directly and ordered things through the store, shipped direct.

Walking you through this process makes it seem more complicated than it really is.  Dot the "I's",
cross the "T's" and be a little patient and this will not be a big deal.

Please reserve your comments to corrections or updates to procedures based on your recent
experience.  Save nonsense about this being too complicated,  or we're second class citizens, blah, blah, blah for other threads.

"That Others May Zoom"

SKYKING607

Thank you for the reminder.

It's needed!
CAWG Career Captain

alexalvarez

Thanks for the information. I just submitted a question about AAFES before I saw your posting.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

addo1

I know this is an old topic, but I decided to post here instead of starting up a new useless thread. It was mentioned below that we were not authorized to purchase uniforms online.. If that is the case, what is up with the following quote from the AAFES website?

"If you can shop for retail merchandise at your local Exchange, you are authorized to order from the Catalog and Exchange Online Store."

I probably missed something and that is fine, but I was just wondering...
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

arajca

CAP members cannot shop for retail merchandise (except in very limited instances), therefore cannot use the online store. Retail merchandise includes such stuff as you'd find a WalMart or similar stores, minus food. That does not include uniform items.

CAP members are not enrolled in DEERS, which is what AAFES uses to verify eligibility.

Spike

^ CAP is not allowed to "shop for retail merchandise".  We are allowed to buy specific items (military clothing manufactured by an Army/AF contractor), which meets strict guidelines.  It used to be Exchanges carried no Military Clothing or Accessories.  You had to walk over to the Military Clothing Sales Store.  Today many exchanges co-operate with the MCSS store inside the exchange. 

Exchanges and MCSS use different inventory tracking systems, and are audited separately.  So, buying a television is not allowed (buying from AAFES Exchange) buying an AF belt (buying from MCSS) is.  It is complicated to see how it works to a non accounting/ business operations type person. 

We are afforded the buying power for MCSS merchandise (and restricted even more so, to just uniform items that are approved by CAP-USAF)

You can register on AAFES on line to buy AAFES gift cards for military members etc., but that registration does not carry with it buying power on the entire site.  WHICH BTW if they can do that, they surely can setup a way for CAP to buy ONLY uniform items on line! 

addo1

^ Thanks guys for the detailed explaination. I was confused, but it makes sense now.

Quote from: Spike on December 18, 2009, 03:50:01 AM
  WHICH BTW if they can do that, they surely can setup a way for CAP to buy ONLY uniform items on line! 

That would surely be wonderful.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

AlphaSigOU

While I am stationed overseas as a 'silly-vilian' contractor here on Kwajalein, I have full exchange, commissary and MWR privileges, as well as online access to the All-Services Exchange online - with the exception of military clothing section; I can look all I want but can't place an order in that section. I may do the phone order request, but since there is no CAP on Kwaj I'll wait to buy what I need at the MCSS stateside or at Hickam when I'm on home leave in July.

The only time CAP members are allowed to shop at the brick-and-mortar retail exchanges is when they are occupying government quarters (billeting) under a military support authorization (MSA). Even then, commissary and Class VI is off limits.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

FYI, commissaries and exchanges operate as separate and independent entities. DECA != AFEES != NEX != MCX.

Commissaries are appropriated funds activities; exchanges are not.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 18, 2009, 05:28:37 AMEven then, commissary and Class VI is off limits.
That's where having a military ID is handy.

Eclipse

Putting this here as well:  http://hq.group22.net/files/AAFES_cat_scan_Mar_2008_sm.pdf

If the link goes down, PM me.

I had an off-handed conversation with a member last night who says he was told by AAFES that he needed his Commander's approval to buy from AAFES, and we weren't allowed to shop at MCSS stores.

Neither is the case (with the caveat that a local commander could block CAP access to a respective base, seperate from the MCSS discussion).

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

Quote from: Eclipse on December 18, 2009, 03:50:02 PM
I had an off-handed conversation with a member last night who says he was told by AAFES that he needed his Commander's approval to buy from AAFES, and we weren't allowed to shop at MCSS stores.
In "hostile territory" like that, it wouldn't hurt to carry around a copy of page 23 from AR 215-8 (http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r215_8.pdf).  Table 6-2 helps clarify that a bit (although I wish they would fix it to read "CAP members" instead of "CAP cadets").
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Was this member trying to shop online or at a brick-and-mortar shop?  Did he ask to speak to someone in management?

I've never been refused access to an MCSS.  Fortunately, the ones I've gone to have been on bases with a fairly significant CAP presence, so they know us.

Making nice to everyone you see in the MCSS, military and civilian, certainly doesn't hurt, either.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JoeTomasone

Apparently civilian contractors are permitted as well.  I just tried and am now happily shopping.  :)

Spike

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 20, 2009, 02:48:24 PM
Apparently civilian contractors are permitted as well.  I just tried and am now happily shopping.  :)

It is up to the Base/ Post/ Station Commander who gets Exchange privileges.

If you have an awesome Base Commnader, your CAP unit can do whatever they want from eating in the DFAC to watching movies in the Theater. 

One stipulation was that I have to "highly recommend" my Members join the Officers club.  It's like 45 dollars a year, and has so many benefits its silly not to join.

PHall

Quote from: Spike on December 20, 2009, 03:27:38 PM

If you have an awesome Base Commnader, your CAP unit can do whatever they want from eating in the DFAC to watching movies in the Theater. 

One stipulation was that I have to "highly recommend" my Members join the Officers club.  It's like 45 dollars a year, and has so many benefits its silly not to join.

Yeah, I bet having CAP members joining the Officers Club will work real nice until one of two things happens.

1. A CAP member gets popped for DUI after attendining an event at the club.

2. A "regular" member of the club (probably a retiree) has a problem with CAP members being allowed to be a member of "their" club.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on December 20, 2009, 03:44:03 PM

If I found out something like that happened, I'd probably request that the wing CC punch his ticket immediately, but with that said, why would a CAP member, or anyone else getting a DUI (or other infraction) on base be any "different".  Members of the military and civilian contractors get nailed everyday all over the place.

This attitude that we're always on eggshells isn't right.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

I'm in Iraq; everyone (American) here has access to AAFES brick-and-mortar; I wasn't sure if that extended to the online world though.

Spike

Quote from: Eclipse on December 20, 2009, 04:24:55 PM

If I found out something like that happened, I'd probably request that the wing CC punch his ticket immediately, but with that said, why would a CAP member, or anyone else getting a DUI (or other infraction) on base be any "different".  Members of the military and civilian contractors get nailed everyday all over the place.

This attitude that we're always on eggshells isn't right.

Agreed!  Plus a DUI on a federal installation is a Federal Crime.  The US District attorney prosecutes, not the local municipality. 

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 20, 2009, 04:55:07 PM
I'm in Iraq; everyone (American) here has access to AAFES brick-and-mortar; I wasn't sure if that extended to the online world though.

It does not extend to online.  Contractors do not have the benefit. 

Nick

There's a whole different clause for "civilians accompanying armed forces overseas".  They typically get full exchange/commissary/MWR privileges.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

JoeTomasone

Quote from: McLarty on December 20, 2009, 05:03:27 PM
There's a whole different clause for "civilians accompanying armed forces overseas".  They typically get full exchange/commissary/MWR privileges.

..So sayeth the CAC card, now that I think about it.

SarDragon

Yeah, I bet having CAP members joining the Officers Club will work real nice until one of two things happens.

2. A "regular" member of the club (probably a retiree) has a problem with CAP members being allowed to be a member of "their" club.

With the funding crunches that all the clubs are experiencing, I think that won't be too much of an issue these days.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CadetMurphy

how did DUI come from ordering uniforms?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

When the 126th ARW(ILANG) was at O'Hare IAP, CAP senior members were invited to join the O'Hare Officer's Club.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PHall

Quote from: ol'fido on December 21, 2011, 03:39:13 AM

When the 126th ARW(ILANG) was at O'Hare IAP, CAP senior members were invited to join the O'Hare Officer's Club.

That's because they sensed that there was money in your pockets. >:D

MSG Mac

One of the reasons CAP Officers are invited to join local Officer Clubs is that where it was once (unofficially) mandated that all officers join, that policy has lapsed. So that at many bases there are no Officer clubs they have been replaced by all Ranks Clubs open to anyone with both an ID card and a pulse.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 22, 2011, 07:23:09 AM
One of the reasons CAP Officers are invited to join local Officer Clubs is that where it was once (unofficially) mandated that all officers join, that policy has lapsed. So that at many bases there are no Officer clubs they have been replaced by all Ranks Clubs open to anyone with both an ID card and a pulse.

And they may waive the ID Card part. A pulse and money will get you in. ::)

cpyahoo

ZombieButter

Has anyone tried ordering through AAFES recently? I just talked with them and they said that "You do not have access to our site". When I told them that i wasn't looking to have access to the site, just phone ordering, they just repeated what they said.

Just called again, they said that there isnt an "account" that I can set up as a CAP member. I just call and request to set up an order then im set.

NorCal21

Quote from: addo1 on December 18, 2009, 03:25:47 AM
I know this is an old topic, but I decided to post here instead of starting up a new useless thread. It was mentioned below that we were not authorized to purchase uniforms online.. If that is the case, what is up with the following quote from the AAFES website?

"If you can shop for retail merchandise at your local Exchange, you are authorized to order from the Catalog and Exchange Online Store."

The key to that quote is "retail merchandise." CAP members are not authorized purchasing anything in the Exchange (its no longer AAFES by the way) other than uniforms in Clothing Sales. Many times Clothing Sales will be located within the Exchange, and many times it will be a separate store front or building.

With that being said, most exchanges don't really care if you buy a few small items, but they're going to turn you down if you're buying some uniforms and a 60" plasma and then show a CAP ID.

NorCal21

Putting this here as well:  http://hq.group22.net/files/AAFES_cat_scan_Mar_2008_sm.pdf

Neither is the case (with the caveat that a local commander could block CAP access to a respective base, seperate from the MCSS discussion).

Here's the thing...

CAP regulations, in accordance with agreements with the USAF, CAP members can shop uniforms items with Clothing Sales. The problem is that the regs don't say that CAP is allowed access to military installations. Even if the regs did say that, its still up to the discretion of the CG whether to allow access in general or dependent on different levels of ThreatCon.

Some bases allow drive-on access pretty much anytime in which the exchange system would be open with nothing more than your CAP ID such as Luke AFB in Phoenix. Others don't allow any access unless you're on a certified list as a member of a squadron that meets on base, and then access is authorized only during the day of the meeting such as Buckley AFB in Denver.

Other bases will authorize DBIDS cards for members of squadrons that meet on base such as Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs and again Luke AFB in Phoenix.

Members of the other auxiliary services usually have it significantly better than CAP.

Coast Guard Auxiliary members can access nearly every Coast Guard base pretty much any time of day, and can use nearly every facility on base within reason of course. They can even take full advantage of the MWR facilities no different than active/reserve Coasties.

Members of the multiple state defense forces usually have easy access to the bases in their states in the respective services (most SDF's are Army based although Texas has Army, Air and Maritime units). For example, members of the Georgia SDF can access all Army, Guard and Air Guard bases with their GSDF ID. They receive CAC cards from their command using a National Guard machine. They are even issued proper colored base decals as well (red or blue).

I'm not too sure on how well the Sea Cadets are treated by the Navy though.

PHall

Quote from: NorCal21 on December 29, 2012, 06:08:41 AM
Quote from: addo1 on December 18, 2009, 03:25:47 AM

The key to that quote is "retail merchandise." CAP members are not authorized purchasing anything in the Exchange (its no longer AAFES by the way) other than uniforms in Clothing Sales. Many times Clothing Sales will be located within the Exchange, and many times it will be a separate store front or building.

With that being said, most exchanges don't really care if you buy a few small items, but they're going to turn you down if you're buying some uniforms and a 60" plasma and then show a CAP ID.

Actually it IS still AAFES. They just replaced Post Exchange and Base Exchange with the Exchange. So it's the same everywhere, Army or Air Force.

NorCal21

Quote from: PHall on December 29, 2012, 06:52:14 AM
Actually it IS still AAFES. They just replaced Post Exchange and Base Exchange with the Exchange. So it's the same everywhere, Army or Air Force.

Aw OK. I just read this link http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123222333 which sort of explains it. The parent operation is still AAFES but the stores are referred to as the Exchange to reduce confusion. Yeah, that's not confusing!

Eclipse

Quote from: NorCal21 on December 29, 2012, 06:23:48 AM

Here's the thing...

CAP regulations, in accordance with agreements with the USAF, CAP members can shop uniforms items with Clothing Sales. The problem is that the regs don't say that CAP is allowed access to military installations. Even if the regs did say that, its still up to the discretion of the CG whether to allow access in general or dependent on different levels of ThreatCon.

Some bases allow drive-on access pretty much anytime in which the exchange system would be open with nothing more than your CAP ID such as Luke AFB in Phoenix. Others don't allow any access unless you're on a certified list as a member of a squadron that meets on base, and then access is authorized only during the day of the meeting such as Buckley AFB in Denver.

Other bases will authorize DBIDS cards for members of squadrons that meet on base such as Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs and again Luke AFB in Phoenix.

Members of the other auxiliary services usually have it significantly better than CAP.

Coast Guard Auxiliary members can access nearly every Coast Guard base pretty much any time of day, and can use nearly every facility on base within reason of course. They can even take full advantage of the MWR facilities no different than active/reserve Coasties.

Members of the multiple state defense forces usually have easy access to the bases in their states in the respective services (most SDF's are Army based although Texas has Army, Air and Maritime units). For example, members of the Georgia SDF can access all Army, Guard and Air Guard bases with their GSDF ID. They receive CAC cards from their command using a National Guard machine. They are even issued proper colored base decals as well (red or blue).

I'm not too sure on how well the Sea Cadets are treated by the Navy though.

The Sea cadets have the same issues CAP does. 

I don't know what you are basing the other assertions on.  CAP's access is granted via regulation to USAF bases and reciprocal
regulation to non-USAF bases, always at the discretion of the CC.  See AFI-10-2701.

We have never had any issue with access to MWR up this way.  CAP units use facilities and resources on a Space-A basis
just like everyone else.   I suppose having a Unit, Group, and the LRADO on base doesn't hurt, but that isn't generally even discussed.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

Others don't allow any access unless you're on a certified list as a member of a squadron that meets on base, and then access is authorized only during the day of the meeting such as Buckley AFB in Denver.

Other bases will authorize DBIDS cards for members of squadrons that meet on base such as Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs...
Neither of those statements is true. Peterson and Buckley will not allow CAP members access with a CAP ID, but both bases issue DBIDS cards to CAP members whether they are a member of the units that meet on base or not. The DBIDS process doesn't ask what CAP unit a member is assigned to, nor is access limited to just the day of the meeting. The process has not changed since the bases went to DBIDS access several years ago.

Mike

Garibaldi

Just found out that we have to notify Wing 24 hours in advance if we want to visit the MCSS at Dobbins.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

NorCal21

Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2012, 04:05:20 PM

I don't know what you are basing the other assertions on.  CAP's access is granted via regulation to USAF bases and reciprocal
regulation to non-USAF bases, always at the discretion of the CC.  See AFI-10-2701.

Just on previous experience. Not once have I been allowed access without sponsorship and escort at any base in FL, GA, AL or CO save the USAF Academy with a CAP ID. You are probably right that its mostly due to base commanders setting it up that way though. Who knows.

NorCal21

Quote from: sardak on December 29, 2012, 06:42:27 PM
Others don't allow any access unless you're on a certified list as a member of a squadron that meets on base, and then access is authorized only during the day of the meeting such as Buckley AFB in Denver.

Other bases will authorize DBIDS cards for members of squadrons that meet on base such as Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs...
Neither of those statements is true. Peterson and Buckley will not allow CAP members access with a CAP ID, but both bases issue DBIDS cards to CAP members whether they are a member of the units that meet on base or not. The DBIDS process doesn't ask what CAP unit a member is assigned to, nor is access limited to just the day of the meeting. The process has not changed since the bases went to DBIDS access several years ago.

Mike

OK. You may be right. I was just stating it based on my experience years ago. I hated going to Buckley because of the civilian security. You get an Airman at the gate and no issues. Thanks for the update Mike.

pascocap2002

I just read this stating that CAP cards will not allow you access on this base:

http://www.charleston.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123226087

abdsp51

That is at the determination of the Wing commander.  The story linked is over 3 years old and chances are that Charleston has measures in place for CAP to have access just no one has probably asked about it.

spaatzmom

did you notice the date on the article was in 2010?

pascocap2002

I am behind the times and catching up. Reading old threads to see if there are any updates on the policies.

CAP-USAF is improving because one senior member tried to get on MacDill AFB with his CAPID card and was turned away 2 years ago and one of my friends just got on base with only a CAPID card last week.

To me, it appears that things are getting better for CAP members to get on base.

a2capt

Quote from: pascocap2002 on January 23, 2014, 01:53:49 AMI am behind the times and catching up. Reading old threads to see if there are any updates on the policies.
.. and replying to them to up a post count? ;)

abdsp51

Quote from: pascocap2002 on January 23, 2014, 01:53:49 AM
I am behind the times and catching up. Reading old threads to see if there are any updates on the policies.

CAP-USAF is improving because one senior member tried to get on MacDill AFB with his CAPID card and was turned away 2 years ago and one of my friends just got on base with only a CAPID card last week.

To me, it appears that things are getting better for CAP members to get on base.

Don't jump the gun.  Have your CC, PAO or group PAO or CC contact the base and find out the proper means for entry.  Your friend may have violated base policy with that.

pascocap2002

Perhaps they were in violation of a base policy. I do know that a lot of CAP members think they can just enter a USAF base and buy uniform items.

MSG Mac

MacDill is extremely strict on base access, when I was stationed there cabs and busses were not allowed past the front gate.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

CAPklass

J2H

You'll more than likely need an EAL (access list) or visitor's pass, as everyone accessing the installation (esp Charleston, where I was stationed) has to have a DBIDS scanable ID Card
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

DrewBirds

This is definitely an old topic but...
In case someone reads this three in the future:
If you're rated at 100 percent by the VA and you have the award letter head to any military base in your area then show the MP your award letter and State ID. You will be directed to the ID card center and given a uniformed ID card for 100 percent disabled veterans. Then you get full PX privileges. Anything tobacco even. If you're a Coast Aux member you can visit Coast Guard exchanges I believe. Not sure though. They can't buy cigarettes or booze I do know that. If you served after 1982 you're pretty much already enrolled in DEERS so if you're 100 percent just hit up ebenefits and print a verification letter. Other than that I didn't know they let CAP members shop for uniforms on bases.

DrewBirds

Quote from: pascocap2002 on January 23, 2014, 02:02:21 AM
Perhaps they were in violation of a base policy. I do know that a lot of CAP members think they can just enter a USAF base and buy uniform items.
Even me. I have 100 percent perm and total from the VA. I called Wright Patterson and told them the rules regarding 100 percent vets. No way they said. I drove to Ft. Knox KY and had no trouble getting on base and obtaining an ID card and getting ID for my dependents. Now I know some folks think that going on base is kosher because they never served on AD. But, Air Force bases from what I hear and little knowledge I have are very strict. A recruiter I know for the Air Guard invited me out to hang out with the wing during drill weekend. Even then MPs checked my ID and called the guy. Then I was let in. Army Guard armories here don't have MPs posted at a gate even during drill weekend.

PHall

Quote from: DrewBirds on June 28, 2015, 06:01:12 AM
Even me. I have 100 percent perm and total from the VA. I called Wright Patterson and told them the rules regarding 100 percent vets. No way they said. I drove to Ft. Knox KY and had no trouble getting on base and obtaining an ID card and getting ID for my dependents. Now I know some folks think that going on base is kosher because they never served on AD. But, Air Force bases from what I hear and little knowledge I have are very strict. A recruiter I know for the Air Guard invited me out to hang out with the wing during drill weekend. Even then MPs checked my ID and called the guy. Then I was let in. Army Guard armories here don't have MPs posted at a gate even during drill weekend.

On Air Force Installations, per the regulations, it's the Base Commander's call on who is allowed to enter.

On the Air Guard Base thing, they have no services there which means unless you were part of one of the units that were drilling, you had no good reason to be there. That's why the recruiter had to vouch you in.

kwe1009

I would suggest that you go to the visitor's center and try to get on.  Sometimes the person you call may not know the answer, may think they know the right answer, and are too "busy" to look for the right answer.

PHall

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 29, 2015, 02:39:33 PM

I would suggest that you go to the visitor's center and try to get on.  Sometimes the person you call may not know the answer, may think they know the right answer, and are too "busy" to look for the right answer.

Most Guard Bases don't have a Visitor's Center. They're too small and they rarely get visitors.

kwe1009

Quote from: PHall on July 09, 2015, 01:00:20 AM
Quote from: kwe1009 on June 29, 2015, 02:39:33 PM

Most Guard Bases don't have a Visitor's Center. They're too small and they rarely get visitors.

He said he couldn't get into Wright Patt.  My reply was in reference to that.

Lem

Not sure if this helps or not.
When I was looking for a Class A service coat the only place I could find one was at the AAFES on Andrews Air force base in Md.
They would not sell it or ship it to me over the phone  I had to personally go in and purchase the item.  This was about four hour drive for me. Luckily I had to go to Md that weekend but my final destination was one the other side of the belt way. 

When I arrived at the base entrance  I had no problem getting on base just by showing him my CAP ID (no picture on my Id at that time) and drivers license. And the guard was very helpful in directing me around some construction to the AAFES.  I made my way to the counter and picked up my item again showing  my CAP ID and drivers license and was on my way.  This was about two years ago.

I had been in the Virginia Defense Force for almost thirteen years and not all Virginia army /guard bases will honor the the VDF. ID's
I believe unless something has changed Ft Picket PX will not allow VDF personnel to buy uniform items, they can buy certain food/grocery items. Ft Lee did allow VDF to buy uniform items, I bought my Class A uniform items there.  Like many have said it all depends on the base you are trying to get on.

In hind sight if I had not been going to MD anyway  I most likely would have placed a call to Andrews to make sure I was allowed on the property.  This was just my experience yours may differ 

MSG Mac

This article may help with Uniform purchases in the future.

Exchange Online Shopping Update 04  ►   All Vet Proposal Status

The idea of expanding online exchange-shopping benefits to all honorably discharged veterans is moving closer to reality, with all three military-exchange services supporting the idea. The Defense Department's deputy chief management officer is addressing the related issues, Army and Air Force Exchange Service CEO Thomas C. Shull confirmed. Once the concept is approved, the online benefit could be rolled out to veterans within as little as six months. At a session of the American Logistics Association's annual convention 27 OCT, DoD Deputy Chief Management Officer Peter Levine did not directly talk about online exchange privileges for veterans, but he did say the department is looking at ways to expand the customer base in the military resale community.

The Navy and its Navy Exchange Service Command support the idea, said NEXCOM CEO and retired Rear Adm. Robert J. Bianchi. There are details to be worked out, but "in general, we all believe we can get there," Bianchi said in an interview. "It's a nice way to provide a version of a nonpay benefit to those who have served," Bianchi said. The benefit would be for online shopping only; honorably discharged veterans would be able to shop at the Navy Exchange website, Mynavyexchange.com, as well as the AAFES website, Shopmyexchange.com. While Shull has been the point man on the idea, Bianchi said, "we've been working collaboratively." "Frankly, [veterans] would go back and forth between [the sites] and have freedom of choice," Bianchi said, "And Veterans Canteen Service would continue to have an online presence."

Cindy Whitman Lacy, director of the Marine Corps' Nonappropriated Fund Business and Support Services Division, said the Marine Corps Exchange is also supportive of the veterans online-shopping benefit. While all the services, including the Marine Corps and Coast Guard, support the idea, "we still have work to do" with the Veterans Canteen Service, Shull said. "We want to make it work for them, too," he said. VCS operates resale stores in Veterans Affairs medical facilities. One reason the benefit hasn't been rolled out already, Shull said, is concerns about whether the AAFES website could handle the potential large wave of extra customers.

The website suffered myriad problems when it was relaunched a year ago, but those issues have been resolved, he said. Shull noted that about 50 percent of online customers had complaints a year ago, compared to about 4 percent now. Shull submitted a proposal to defense officials in May 2014, arguing that even if they don't serve to retirement, honorably discharged veterans should get this modest benefit to honor their service. He said it's particularly appropriate in light of the numerous wartime deployments over the past 15 years. "If I could leave with my team this legacy, providing a benefit where all veterans could shop online — strictly online — I'd feel like I actually made a
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

supertigerCH

probably unlikely to ever really happen, however...

one model (or interesting idea) is the following =

i remember that many years ago, the reserve components of the military (Guard & Reserve)... were not allowed full access to the commissary.

each member of the reserve components was given a "commissary card", that was good for 12 total visits per year.  every time a reserve component member shopped at the commissary, one of their visits on the card was punched (or "marked off").  once all 12 visits had been used up, no more shopping was permitted for that year.

often i have wondered if a similar model could work for a military auxiliary like CAP.  it would give a partial benefit for using the BX, but would address the Air Force's concern -- of limiting CAP use, and making sure that members of the regular military would still have plenty of the resource for themselves (since the primary purpose of the BX facility is to service their needs).

the Air Force / DoD is correct to be concerned about this... since you don't want to have so many people shopping at the exchange that supplies run low (or get backed up)... and then suddenly the primary customers are not getting everything they need.

although an Auxiliary like CAP could be granted a limited amount of access (for the service they give)... there must be a way to ensure the regular military are always the main customers... being given priority.

could a similar type of system work for CAP?  having some type of BX card... (or software based account -- in the exchange's computer system)...   which would only allow a certain amount of visits (or spending limit)?  the computer would keep track of CAP member visits per year... and make sure people didn't use more than the limited benefit that was allocated to them.

some of the people in this forum who were members of the military "back in the day" might remember the old commissary card system that i'm talking about.  it seems that such a way of doing things could be possible (at the BX) for an auxiliary like CAP... but the question is (like everything else) whether or not the Air Force (DoD) would agree, and decide to use such a concept.

in my opinion probably very unlikely... however sometimes the thought has rolled around in my head...  as to whether something like it could work.

thoughts on this anyone?  ideas?  friendly criticism?  agree / disagree?  if interested, feel free to share and discuss.

[when I mention BX use... I am referring to shopping in the BX aside from clothing sales (which are already guaranteed to CAP).  also I am not talking about when CAP members are on base on Air Force orders...  because different rules regarding BX use apply in that situation.]

PHall

Won't work because CAP is not in DEERS. The Guard and Reserve are in DEERS. AAFES uses the DEERS database to determine who is authorized.

supertigerCH

hi PHall,

Yes, CAP is not in DEERS... that's a given (and is the reason why currently such  use of AAFES is a non-issue).

obviously for such an arrangement (or any arrangement) to work that is one of the first things that the Air Force / DoD would have to be willing to change.

what I was getting at here, is if such an overall model for BX use would work or not.  thanks for pointing this out though.  You've highlighted what is just about the most important fact... when it comes to this whole issue (one that many people are not aware of when they talk about this).

thanks for your input!  anyone else have more reactions or thoughts on this (as an overall approach I mean)?

abdsp51

There's no real savings at the BX anyway, plus there is still the overarching issue of base access.

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 28, 2016, 10:37:04 PM
There's no real savings at the BX anyway, plus there is still the overarching issue of base access.

The only real savings is no taxes.

Eclipse

Even base access doesn't solve the issue for most members.

Not all wings even have a USAF base in the state or close proximity, and many of the bases
have small exchanges that have trouble supplying the active forces assigned there, let alone CAP people.

NAVEXs have very little CAP can make use of beyond shoes, boots, undergarments, and the tailor.

And of course MCSS generally has little that the 50+% of the membership who are restricted from wearing
USAF-style combos can use besides the shoes, boots, and ribbon racks.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2016, 02:05:39 AM

Not all wings even have a USAF base in the state or close proximity, and many of the bases
have small exchanges that have trouble supplying the active forces assigned there, let alone CAP people.

NAVEXs have very little CAP can make use of beyond shoes, boots, undergarments, and the tailor.

And of course MCSS generally has little that the 50+% of the membership who are restricted from wearing

CAP is not authorized to use NAVEX, so you're in there at their pleasure.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on May 29, 2016, 03:30:56 AM

In your haste to post the pedantic, you missed the actual point.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2016, 03:36:37 AM

So what is the point Bob?

etodd

If you ask me, the point is that this is a 10 year old thread. Some folks need to get over it and realize its not going to happen. Go get a Costco or Sam's Club membership and go shopping like the rest of us civilians. You'll get a nice card with your name on it and a bar code. Looks all official ;)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Then why did you mention them in the first place, Bob? Your statement was correct, but not relevant. I can shop there, since I have the necessary credentials, but that's not really relevant, either.

So, to repeat Phil's Q, what is your point of mentioning NavEx's?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on May 29, 2016, 07:07:28 AM

Then why did you mention them in the first place, Bob? Your statement was correct, but not relevant. I can shop there, since I have the necessary credentials, but that's not really relevant, either.

Because NAVExs make up some of the MCSS' that CAP theoretically has access to, and before all the
services got "happy" about being "unique", members could get a lot of uniform items at them.

Access to them, and other non-USAF military facilities, are provided through reciprocal support / access agreements to the AFIs that grants CAP
base access.

The point was that when you make an issue of the fact that CAP still presents AAFES as a uniform source, but the phone
ordering ability disappeared without notice, the response by some members of NHQ staff is "well you can still go to
clothing sales", when in fact, that's never been an actual option for most members, who, by far, will never set foot on
a military base of any kind during the entirety of their CAP career, and even those who do, these days, may not be on
a USAF base.

"That Others May Zoom"

supertigerCH

Quote from: PHall on May 29, 2016, 12:24:37 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on May 28, 2016, 10:37:04 PM

You make a good point here.  Even if a good model was ever found... base access will almost always be an issue.  There are some PX/BX locations that are not on military bases (some that I know of off the top of my head are Sacramento, California... and some in Hawaii.  i'm sure there are others)... but this will always be an issue, because the majority are on bases... which turns it into an additional problem of access.

supertigerCH

Quote from: etodd on May 29, 2016, 05:12:53 AM
If you ask me, the point is that this is a 10 year old thread. Some folks need to get over it and realize its not going to happen. Go get a Costco or Sam's Club membership and go shopping like the rest of us civilians. You'll get a nice card with your name on it and a bar code. Looks all official ;)

You're probably correct about this... when it comes to some people who continually bring this issue up.  I already have access to AAFES, so it's not something that i worry about.

any curiosity that i expressed in my post... was just wondering whether or not something like the old-style commissary card system would work or not.  maybe it could, or maybe not.  who knows?  just wondering if anyone had thoughts on that.  thanks for sharing everyone...

SarDragon

If you walk into a NavEx, and mention CAP, the vast majority of them will respond with, "huh?", and decline the sale. If Great Mistakes allows sales to CAP members, it's an exception based on the encampments being there, and not a normal occurrence. I say that as a lifelong Exchange customer. Again, not worth bringing into the conversation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2016, 08:20:40 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 29, 2016, 07:07:28 AM

Because NAVExs make up some of the MCSS' that CAP theoretically has access to, and before all the
services got "happy" about being "unique", members could get a lot of uniform items at them.

Access to them, and other non-USAF military facilities, are provided through reciprocal support / access agreements to the AFIs that grants CAP
base access.

The point was that when you make an issue of the fact that CAP still presents AAFES as a uniform source, but the phone
ordering ability disappeared without notice, the response by some members of NHQ staff is "well you can still go to
clothing sales", when in fact, that's never been an actual option for most members, who, by far, will never set foot on
a military base of any kind during the entirety of their CAP career, and even those who do, these days, may not be on
a USAF base.

There are no agreements for CAP to use anything other then the Army and Air Force Exchange Service. The various services Exchanges are not connected and they all make their own rules. If you were able to use the NAVEX with just your CAP membership card, great.
If you can find an AFI that allows CAP to use anything other then AAFES please post it here. We'll wait...

Eclipse

I've exhausted my supply of Anti-Pedantic spray, and the store is closed.

Have a nice, quiet Memorial Day.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

If anybody is interested, here is the Air Force Regulation regarding CAP access to AAFES Exchanges.
AFI 34-211(I), 5 Oct 2012, Table 7-2, Category 14 and 15.

TheSkyHornet

I read "NAVEX" several times. Are you referring to "NEX" (Navy Exchange)?

The NEX has nothing do to with CAP, just as they would have nothing to do with the USAF. They're two different exchange services.

NEX has some great discounts depending on what you're buying. I haven't had the privilege of actually using AAFES, but I'm sure it's comparable in cost/quality. The no-tax is mucho fantastico depending on what you're buying. Uniform items are going to run you a higher rate than surplus items, but where else are you going to get the official government-issue with the original tags/stamps?

The issue with the ABUs is that this is the uniform that CAP is switching to and is inherently inaccessible to CAP members. You won't get the DLATS items from anywhere else except for the knock-offs.

You figure by this point Ma Blue and Father CAP would have came up with some form of arrangement to grant everyone access to at least purchase their uniform items through an official source and not have to scour the scorched earth to find them on their own.

Even if it costed a bit more, I would be in complete favor of NHQ having a supply program through which items could be procured through CAP, paid for by CAP members and shipped to their home units or personal location without having to essentially "figure it out on your own." It's just like the Voucher: "Use it at Vanguard." Why couldn't CAP just obtain the items for the cadets based on their input information and cut the B.S. with the "voucher." Just issue the friggin' uniform. Whatever you can't "give," bill me. It may not be the cheapest route, but it would be so much easier for Joe Q. Airman.

Just my buck and a half.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 31, 2016, 07:18:55 PM
The NEX has nothing do to with CAP, just as they would have nothing to do with the USAF.

Unless you're in the USAF and assigned to a Navy base because it's the only military base in the area.

The point of the comment was that there are other MCSS locations besides those on USAF bases, and
the AAFES locations are many times too small to be much value to those assigned there, let alone
CAP.  For every Wright Patt, there's a Scott, which at least the last time I was down there, was the size of
the average gift shop in a small hotel (I'd like to think that has changed in the intervening years).

But even with the availability of other MCSS locations, those aren't much value to CAP, either, because
the don't stock items members can wear, and those aren't that plentiful, either.

The entire point of the comment was that to respond that "CAP members still have access to MCSS
even though AAFES phone orders have ceased" ignores the fact that those locations in general, USAF or other,
are few and far between, and/or logistically non-existent for most members, the majority of which will never set foot on
a military base.

As to the other nonsense about AFIs not applying to the Navy, etc., of course not, per se.  I have no interest in
a conversation where people who don't know will explain how things that have been happening for 25+ years
"never happen".

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Even if it costed a bit more, I would be in complete favor of NHQ having a supply program through which items could be procured through CAP, paid for by CAP members and shipped to their home units or personal location without having to essentially "figure it out on your own." It's just like the Voucher: "Use it at Vanguard." Why couldn't CAP just obtain the items for the cadets based on their input information and cut the B.S. with the "voucher."

I think you have pretty much answered your own question.  CAP could, of course, purchase/acquire the uniforms and accessories and mail them to members.  It would, as you suggest, require an considerable investment in infrastructure.  We would need space to store, process and ship thousands of uniforms a year.  Plus a half dozen employees or so.   Who would have to be paid a competitive wage, along with benefits, etc.

That pretty much describes what we used to call the Bookstore (later CAPMART).  And we consistently lost tens of thousands of dollars a year trying to run a retail operation.  Despite several reorganizations and serious tweaking over many years. 

That's we outsource that function to folks who have a great deal of expertise in uniform and accessories.  And who already have warehouses, order processing folks, and a shipping line.  They can do if far more cheaply and efficiently than we could ever hope to do so.  That's a win for our members.

Luis R. Ramos

The no-tax is mucho muy fantastico depending...

Fixed that for you.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

DakRadz

Quote from: Ned on May 31, 2016, 07:29:19 PM

Even if it costed a bit more, I would be in complete favor of NHQ having a supply program through which items could be procured through CAP, paid for by CAP members and shipped to their home units or personal location without having to essentially "figure it out on your own." It's just like the Voucher: "Use it at Vanguard." Why couldn't CAP just obtain the items for the cadets based on their input information and cut the B.S. with the "voucher."

I think you have pretty much answered your own question.  CAP could, of course, purchase/acquire the uniforms and accessories and mail them to members.  It would, as you suggest, require an considerable investment in infrastructure.  We would need space to store, process and ship thousands of uniforms a year.  Plus a half dozen employees or so.   Who would have to be paid a competitive wage, along with benefits, etc.

That pretty much describes what we used to call the Bookstore (later CAPMART).  And we consistently lost tens of thousands of dollars a year trying to run a retail operation.  Despite several reorganizations and serious tweaking over many years. 

That's we outsource that function to folks who have a great deal of expertise in uniform and accessories.  And who already have warehouses, order processing folks, and a shipping line.  They can do if far more cheaply and efficiently than we could ever hope to do so.  That's a win for our members.

I think it would be far easier to have a "kit" option. The software exists.

I put in my year, make, model of car and get a "kit" for front suspension (this week will be fun, I ain't no mechanic)

Why not a package on Vanguard, or "New Cadet Kit" that requires sizes be input and already includes everything that is needed? Maybe several packages with actual descriptions of what is provided and how they help you? I think the tweaks can be made to Vanguard without making more drastic changes. I, for one, still remember coming into CAP and people talking about how nice it was to not deal with the Bookstore even if Big V is slow.

Майор Хаткевич

Big V had a rocky start, but much of that was on CAP, not them. Still was miles better than the bookstore or CAPMart

Paul Creed III

Quote from: DakRadz on June 02, 2016, 04:21:02 AM

I put in my year, make, model of car and get a "kit" for front suspension (this week will be fun, I ain't no mechanic)

Why not a package on Vanguard, or "New Cadet Kit" that requires sizes be input and already includes everything that is needed? Maybe several packages with actual descriptions of what is provided and how they help you? I think the tweaks can be made to Vanguard without making more drastic changes. I, for one, still remember coming into CAP and people talking about how nice it was to not deal with the Bookstore even if Big V is slow.

To an extent, this is done now with the Curry voucher: the cadet goes to a special webpage that has a complete Blues "kit", picks sizes, plugs in their credit card for anything over the voucher amount and it shows up in a box a little while later. Certainly helps to avoid the "I forgot/didn't know I needed it" when their Blues are not complete.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Paul Creed III on June 02, 2016, 12:27:20 PM
Quote from: DakRadz on June 02, 2016, 04:21:02 AM

To an extent, this is done now with the Curry voucher: the cadet goes to a special webpage that has a complete Blues "kit", picks sizes, plugs in their credit card for anything over the voucher amount and it shows up in a box a little while later. Certainly helps to avoid the "I forgot/didn't know I needed it" when their Blues are not complete.

Meanwhile:

If you're near an Air Force installation, you can buy uniform garments (but not CAP insignia) at the Exchange or base thrift store.

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/new_cadet_help/uniforms/

And back to square one.

np1

The reading material available on the CAP website is very clear on the restrictions for purchase by CAP members at the commissary. I'm not one who joined the CAP for those benefits unlike what was suggested by someone on this forum somewhere. However, personally knowing that there are civilian contract workers who are on visas even , that have access to such facilities, makes me wonder why not CAP members? After all these contract workers just do regular jobs like any other civilian out there, and don't even offer to do anything close to what CAP members are willing to do! CAP members are not military alright, but they are willing to serve the Air Force with pride in whatever way they are able to, when asked to, and even put their money and time forward voluntarily to do so, compared to the contractors who are making fat salaries and nothing more!

SarDragon

Unless things have changed recently, contractors only get commissary and exchange privileges in overseas areas. CAP members in overseas units generally already have these bennies, since they are usually either on active duty, or are dependents.

There's no reason for either group to have this stateside.

BTW, DECA and AAFES/NEX/MCX are distinctly different activities, and operate under different sets of rules. DECA is an appropriated fund activity, and operates with tax dollars. The exchanges are non-appropriated fund activities, and are self-sustaining based on sales, and have looser rules.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Not to mention that you can get pretty much the same prices at Walmart. ::)

SarDragon

Depends on the brand. The sales tax savings can add up, though.

Sent from my phone.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

After 10-1/2 some years it might be time to retire / unsticky this as it is no longer applicable.

AAFES access is really no longer an option for CAP members, certainly not in the way Rosie helped
us back in 2006.

Yes, members can access MCSS at various bases, but the days of mail or phone orders are inexplicably,
and without any formal notice to this day, gone.

"That Others May Zoom"

TotalForce

Whatever happened to that Total Force thing huh?

Wear our blues, do the SAR's, get the fingerpinting and the FBI checks but still the red headed step child ;)

THRAWN

Quote from: TotalForce on April 14, 2017, 06:34:33 PM

Wear our blues, do the SAR's, get the fingerpinting and the FBI checks but still the red headed step child ;)

Hardly. CAP has a role and it fills that role. Want something outside of that role or some other special privilege? You're free to explore those options. Otherwise, stay in your lane.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TotalForce

Quote from: THRAWN on April 14, 2017, 07:18:12 PM

Hardly. CAP has a role and it fills that role. Want something outside of that role or some other special privilege? You're free to explore those options. Otherwise, stay in your lane.

Role as USAF AUX with no perks? Total Force means just a name or big borther should also put out some better rules for the volunteer force a la CG AUX?

My post was to ask for some true opinions of what other members think. that is all :)

vorteks

Quote from: TotalForce on April 17, 2017, 02:48:19 PM

Role as USAF AUX with no perks? Total Force means just a name or big borther should also put out some better rules for the volunteer force a la CG AUX?

My post was to ask for some true opinions of what other members think. that is all :)

There were already 5 pages of opinions on this before you blundered onto the scene.

TotalForce

Quote from: vorteks on April 17, 2017, 02:58:06 PM
Quote from: TotalForce on April 17, 2017, 02:48:19 PM

There were already 5 pages of opinions on this before you blundered onto the scene.

Typical to name call I see.

You should never post your picture on the internet. I suggest you remove it hahaha.

ColonelJack

TotalForce: 

Tread cautiously here. 

I'm just sayin'.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

SarDragon

Dave Bowles