Shoulder Cord Question

Started by Capmonkey, October 16, 2018, 03:18:48 PM

Capmonkey

Hey, guys!
     So this may be a controversial question, but why is there the small loop on the shoulder cords if you wear the cord on the shoulder seam? For example, I just got my gold shoulder cord in for NCAC, and I was wondering why we always wear the cord on the seam rather than looped around the button, as I feel it looks way better that way and is less of a hassle (the cord spins around on the seam). Just curious, and appreciate any answers.

C/Lt. Col Capmonkey

Color Guard Rifleman

It is usually for other things such as honor guard. It is also used in the military, so it is just the standard way they are made
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Capmonkey

Thanks! I was just curious as to why we didn't wear the cord on the button! Appreciate it!

Jester

Just one of those things that changed when the AF service coat went to a no-epaulet style in the 90s I think. 

Here is one that is made for attaching at the shoulder seam.  Vanguard doesn't make it, so I'm sure there's something prohibiting using it because we're all about protecting Vanguard's business at the expense of the membership.

http://www.paradestore.com/index.php/uniforms/shoulder-cords/army-style-shoulder-cords-shoulder-top-cord-one-color.html

arajca

The Honor Guard folks didn't like it, so they got the manual changed. Prior to 2014, they were worn at the button.

Capmonkey

Quote from: arajca on October 16, 2018, 03:37:18 PM
The Honor Guard folks didn't like it, so they got the manual changed. Prior to 2014, they were worn at the button.

That makes a whole lot more sense. Thanks!

hamburgee

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure Vanguard doesn't own the trademark to shoulder cords, if one even exists, so that company can make them all they want and VG can't really say anything that holds any weight.

SarDragon

Quote from: Jester on October 16, 2018, 03:36:16 PM
Just one of those things that changed when the AF service coat went to a no-epaulet style in the 90s I think. 

Here is one that is made for attaching at the shoulder seam.  Vanguard doesn't make it, so I'm sure there's something prohibiting using it because we're all about protecting Vanguard's business at the expense of the membership.

http://www.paradestore.com/index.php/uniforms/shoulder-cords/army-style-shoulder-cords-shoulder-top-cord-one-color.html

How about we ease up on trashing Vanguard.

CAP, not Vanguard, is the owner of the intellectual property, and they are the folks who make a stink when unauthorized companies produce CAP merchandise. That merchandise consists only of items bearing the CAP logo, letters, etc. Everything else, like the shoulder cords, is fair game.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

I_Am_Twigs

One thing I do to reduce the spinning is using safety pins on the inside of the jacket and/or shirt, it helps to keep the cord aligned with the seam of the garment as well.
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

GroundHawg

When did they add the verbiage banning SMs from wearing cords? I remember SMs wearing them when I was a cadet back in the 90s. Where they in violation? Or was the ban added later?

Eclipse

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 03, 2018, 03:04:52 PM
When did they add the verbiage banning SMs from wearing cords? I remember SMs wearing them when I was a cadet back in the 90s. Where they in violation? Or was the ban added later?

It doesn't have to be banned when it's not authorized.

There are no duties open to adult members that authorize a cord, and that includes HWSRN's Praetorian Guard.

"That Others May Zoom"