Main Menu

Tattoos in uniform

Started by Darknight87, October 14, 2018, 12:48:02 PM

Darknight87

SO I've read on the USAF Regs about the update on tattoos. No more size limitation... now.... can I wear short sleeve blues with a non-offensive tattoo sleeve on my left or right arm. The reg seems to say you can have them but I don't see anything saying you can or can't show them. I'm thinking about joining cap but I don't want to be discriminated against for have tattoos and being aloud to have them.......

EMT-83

Discrimination? I'm not aware that having a tattoo makes you a member of a Protected Class.

Darknight87

I don't follow... My question is will it be a problem now that the air force don't care

Luis R. Ramos

Until CAP issues new regulations, CAP will care. However, your squadron commander may be lax, not enforcing regulations as he should, or he may not. Hopefully he will follow regulations. If he does not, do not be surprised when someone else mentions them!

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Tim Day

You can submit a waiver request through your chain of command. In the request I put together for one of my members, I cited (and attached) the excerpt from the Air Force regulations. I requested a waiver for both corporate and USAF-style uniforms. The corporate waiver came through much faster since it can be approved by CAP/CC; the USAF-style waiver had to go to CAP-USAF. However, both were eventually approved.

EMT-83 is correct in that there is no requirement for CAP to allow people with tattoos on their arms to wear short-sleeve uniforms (corporate or USAF-style). However, the leadership seems to be amenable to granting waivers.

I also brief the member that if questioned, they need to be ready with a courteous response indicating that they have been granted a waiver which is on file with the command. I would like them to be able to commend those who respectfully provide feedback on proper uniform wear including compliance with CAPM 39-1 tattoo restrictions.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander