Difference between thick and normal shoulder cords?

Started by i_am_a_politician, October 08, 2018, 08:44:35 PM

i_am_a_politician

Is there a big difference between which one we can wear?  I know Vanguard stocks both.  However the thick green cord and thick yellow cord are the ones that Vanguard say are for CAC, and the regular ones are for region and wing.  Is there really a big difference or can I wear the one that I prefer?  Is there one that is recommended? I personally used the green thick one during my squadron CAC term but switched to the thin red one as a WCAC Chair.
1st Lt Politician

FalconHatTrick

Each color represents the echelon that you serve on.

Green - Group
Red - Wing
Blue - Region
Gold - National

CAPM 39-1 9.3.1

So wear the color for the echelon that you currently serve on
Maj, CAP
Former C/Lt Col
ATP/CFI/CFII
LR-JET/DA-50

SarDragon

That didn't answer the original Q, which was about the form of the cord.

I couldn't see the difference in the Vanguard pictures, but it looks like the CAP specific cords were all the thick type.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

The "thick" cords listed under the CAP Parade and Honor Guard section are the appropriate ones.

Couldn't find the "thin" cords. The only thing I can think of are the fourragere/aiguillette items, and that is not what is being referenced in the manual. Those aren't authorized for wear.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 09, 2018, 10:16:30 AM
The only thing I can think of are the fourragere/aiguillette items, and that is not what is being referenced in the manual.

We have to stop taking fashion tips from the French. My eyes glazed over reading that.

i_am_a_politician

The "thick" cords listed under the CAP Parade and Honor Guard section are the appropriate ones.

Couldn't find the "thin" cords. The only thing I can think of are the fourragere/aiguillette items, and that is not what is being referenced in the manual. Those aren't authorized for wear.

If you look up "royal blue shoulder cord" on Vanguard, you will find that there are 2 types that pop up.  One "thick" and one standard.  Since the regulations never said thick vs regular, it shouldn't matter right?
1st Lt Politician

hamburgee

Hawk200

Quote from: lam_the_lame on October 09, 2018, 08:10:29 PM

If you look up "royal blue shoulder cord" on Vanguard, you will find that there are 2 types that pop up.  One "thick" and one standard.  Since the regulations never said thick vs regular, it shouldn't matter right?
It does matter. The manual says "cord" not "fourragere" or "aiguillette." A "cord" is authorized, a "fourragere" or "aiguillette" is not.

Wearing things that are a little different creates uniformity issues.

Of course, 39-1 (or whatever replaces it eventually) needs to specify the proper item. Fourragere/aiguillette isn't listed in the CAP section. Now, that doesn't actually mean that's the policy, but if you're looking outside the CAP categorized items, you're going to find all kind of things that aren't authorized for CAP.

I remember that the manual used to spell it out, but that has fallen out of the current manual.