Service ewheel cap with class B

Started by jfkspotting, October 07, 2018, 03:31:39 PM

jfkspotting

Can the service "wheel cap" for cadet officers be worn with class B either long or short sleeve blues with tie? I've seen some cadets post pictures of this combination online especially at encampment

NovemberWhiskey

Refer CAPM 39-1 paragraphs 4.1.9.10 and 4.1.10.11

NIN

You *can* do it.

Should you do it?

Google for photos of USAF folks wearing the wheel cap.  You'll be hard pressed to find an officer wearing a wheel cap in Class B.

Short version: unless you want to look like Patton, leave that stuff for strictly ceremonial circumstances. And usually in strictly ceremonial situations, you're in service dress.  And even then, it better be a pretty serious ceremony.

I've owned a wheel cap for about 2 years now (thanks to BuckeyDEJ here). I've worn it once, and that was a funeral.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Hawk200

I remember one time in the Air Force that we had a retreat where the commander ordered service caps. We were wearing short sleeves, ribbons, no tie.

We were the only unit wearing the wheels. Everyone else wore flight caps.

Don't think it ever happened again. Would probably have been different if everyone was wearing it.

Eclipse

Is an "ewheel" cap the one with the Wifi hotspot in it?

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Yes.

It also has a carbon fiber antenna disguised as the chin strap. Being carbon fiber, it is black.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Papabird

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 07, 2018, 05:25:40 PM
I remember one time in the Air Force that we had a retreat where the commander ordered service caps. We were wearing short sleeves, ribbons, no tie.

We were the only unit wearing the wheels. Everyone else wore flight caps.

Don't think it ever happened again. Would probably have been different if everyone was wearing it.

It used to be the definition of Sierra Hotel back in the 1980's...Not anymore.  :)  Personally, I liked the look, but I have...ahem...matured.   >:D

Heck in my BMT grad picture, all of us were wearing them, but for our final pass and review, we were in flight caps.
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

NIN

Quote from: Papabird on October 08, 2018, 01:44:47 PM
It used to be the definition of Sierra Hotel back in the 1980's...Not anymore.  :)  Personally, I liked the look, but I have...ahem...matured.   >:D

Heck in my BMT grad picture, all of us were wearing them, but for our final pass and review, we were in flight caps.

Dunno about Sierra Hotel, but I take your meaning :)

I look back (and look at it today) and really its a "I wanna be different!" thing with cadets. That cap is a pain the butt. Maybe in my old age (ahem) I'm less tolerant to things that are a pain. Or, after being in the Army, I understand the value of broad uniformity.

(for the record: I ran out and bought a wheel cap for my Dress Greens while I was in AIT, mostly "because I could." Then, I was trying to figure out how to jam it into my duffel bag to go to Korea without it being destroyed.  The "pain the butt" value of the wheel cap, and the "no trouble" value of the garrison cap became painfully evident at that point..)

I wouldn't have gotten one had I not gotten a great deal on it, considering there is maybe 1x a year where I'd be at an event where its actually appropriate.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: NIN on October 08, 2018, 02:24:07 PM
(for the record: I ran out and bought a wheel cap for my Dress Greens while I was in AIT, mostly "because I could." Then, I was trying to figure out how to jam it into my duffel bag to go to Korea without it being destroyed.  The "pain the butt" value of the wheel cap, and the "no trouble" value of the garrison cap became painfully evident at that point..)

Same with the Navy combination cover for khakis and dress. You're so worried about ruining the darn thing (snapping the frame, etc).

PHall

The Air Force thinks so much of the Service Cap that all enlisted and company grade officers (2Lt - Capt) are not required to own one.

N6RVT

Quote from: PHall on October 08, 2018, 04:26:31 PM
The Air Force thinks so much of the Service Cap that all enlisted and company grade officers (2Lt - Capt) are not required to own one.
We have an annual ceremony at Gill Robb Wilson's grave, which is the only time I ever wore one in CAP.  I would have to shell out $60 for the hat I need now.

Incidentally, when did that change?  Used to be Majors didn't need the farts & darts.

PHall

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on October 08, 2018, 05:50:47 PM
We have an annual ceremony at Gill Robb Wilson's grave, which is the only time I ever wore one in CAP.  I would have to shell out $60 for the hat I need now.

Incidentally, when did that change?  Used to be Majors didn't need the farts & darts.

Majors have always worn the "farts and darts". It's one of the ways you distinguish between Company Grade and Field Grade. Field Grade gets the farts and darts.

MSG Mac

Quote from: PHall on October 08, 2018, 06:48:15 PM

Majors have always worn the "farts and darts". It's one of the ways you distinguish between Company Grade and Field Grade. Field Grade gets the farts and darts.

O-4s in all the services, except the USN wear the gilded service caps. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

ColonelJack

Actually, majors didn't start wearing the farts 'n darts until the 1990s.  The ornamentation was only for colonels and light colonels (and the three-on-a-side for generals).

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ColonelJack

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 08, 2018, 07:39:14 PM

O-4s in all the services, except the USN wear the gilded service caps.

Now they do (except in the Navy and Coast Guard).  Prior to the 1990s, though, majors in the AF didn't wear the farts 'n darts.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 08, 2018, 02:43:09 PM
Quote from: NIN on October 08, 2018, 02:24:07 PM

Same with the Navy combination cover for khakis and dress. You're so worried about ruining the darn thing (snapping the frame, etc).

We were required to maintain our barracks covers in the Corps, even aboard ship on the MEU as part of the basic sea bag issue. The trick is to ditch the box, pack it crown down on top of flat folded items like cammies, and stuff rolled socks, skivvies, undershirts and the like inside and around it tight enough to protect it. The rugged hat boxes work well too, but they're bulky and cumbersome.

To the original point of the post, save your money. Wheel caps are bulky, impractical and I think they look stupid on most people anyway. Especially in service uniforms. It screams "Look at me! I have to wear a stupid looking hat so you know I'm an officer!" Save it for full service dress, and even then for special occasions.
I was gifted mine by my CC when he made Major, and I have yet to wear the thing other than fit testing it. Flight caps are more comfortable, fit under my belt when not worn, and I think look cooler when worn with the proper panache. Nerds wear wheel caps, awesome dudes like Robin Olds wear flight caps.

I have a brimmed cap for work, too, and I avoid wearing it as much as possible because I know it makes me look like a hardo.

As always, this is the opinion of one belligerent dude and your mileage may vary.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

TheSkyHornet

They couldn't find one my size at the uniform shop when we were getting ours issued at OCS. My head was too small. They had to steal it off one of the mannequins.  :-[

OldGuy

I was proudly part of the cadet color guard for that ceremony in  the 70s!

NIN

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on October 08, 2018, 11:23:32 PM
[...] awesome dudes like Robin Olds wear flight caps.

This may well have to be the summary of my position on wheel caps going forward.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

HandsomeWalt_USMC

You're welcome to it, Nin! Works best if you have a mig killing mustache as well. Mine is the best thing to come out of my relationship imploding!  8) >:D
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

NIN

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on October 09, 2018, 03:36:26 PM
You're welcome to it, Nin! Works best if you have a mig killing mustache as well. Mine is the best thing to come out of my relationship imploding!  8) >:D

Sadly, my mustache kills nothing but my chances...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 09, 2018, 01:47:32 AM
They couldn't find one my size at the uniform shop when we were getting ours issued at OCS. My head was too small. They had to steal it off one of the mannequins.  :-[
So your hat came off a dummy?  ;D

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 09, 2018, 11:24:30 PM

Is there a difference between a dummy and a brand new Ensign/2d Lt? >:D

NIN

Quote from: PHall on October 10, 2018, 12:13:09 AM

*zing*
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

TheSkyHornet

We prefer to use the term Opportunistic Americans, thank you.

MSG Mac

You don't have to pay or salute a mannequin.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 11, 2018, 07:56:49 PM

DI may tell you otherwise.

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 12, 2018, 02:05:04 PM

Kinda flies in the face of that most standard of Standard Operating Procedures.

"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. If you can't pick it up, paint it."

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: PHall on October 12, 2018, 02:56:24 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 12, 2018, 02:05:04 PM

Kinda flies in the face of that most standard of Standard Operating Procedures.

"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. If you can't pick it up, paint it."

"YOU OWE THAT TREE AN APOLOGY FOR USING UP THE BEAUTIFUL OXYGEN IT PROVIDES US ALL! STAND THERE AND SALUTE IT! AND DO NOT DROP YOUR SALUTE UNTIL THE TREE RELIEVES YOU!"