Achievement Awards with stars

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, October 01, 2018, 03:46:51 PM

Color Guard Rifleman

I was looking at a Civil Air Patrol rack builder the CMSgt and 2nd Lt have an option for a star on them. What is this used for?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Capmonkey

The star on C/CMSgt is completion of the Model Rocketry Program, and the star on C/2d Lt is completion of COS. Hope this helps!

C/Lt. Col Capmonkey

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Capmonkey on October 01, 2018, 05:04:41 PM
The star on C/CMSgt is completion of the Model Rocketry Program, and the star on C/2d Lt is completion of COS. Hope this helps!

C/Lt. Col Capmonkey

Thank you for the help
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Ned

There are more stars on cadet achievement ribbons lurking within the regulation..

For instance, I was awarded a silver star for my Spaatz ribbon.

Has a nice look to it.

chuckmilam

Some of us have stars on our CAC ribbons.  The mystery deepens (for those who don't know how to CTRL-F on a regulation PDF.)

Capmonkey

Agreed. Stars on ribbons go further than just those two, as I'm about to get a gold star on my CAC ribbon!

C/Lt. Col Capmonkey

TheSkyHornet

This is where I don't get CAP redundancies...

If you completed the Model Rocketry Program, you can wear the badge. Why have a star for it?

If you earned the grade insignia, why have a ribbon? I get that achievements aren't exactly the same as the grade itself, but I just see redundancies.

wacapgh

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 01, 2018, 07:41:34 PM

If you completed the Model Rocketry Program, you can wear the badge. Why have a star for it?

Historically, a bit of a head scratcher. With the new STEM and Cyber badges, you must choose one (Left pocket). So going forward, you could wear the STEM/Cyber badge and the Star on the Goddard would show award of the rocketry badge.

68w20

Quote from: wacapgh on October 01, 2018, 07:56:19 PM

Historically, a bit of a head scratcher. With the new STEM and Cyber badges, you must choose one (Left pocket). So going forward, you could wear the STEM/Cyber badge and the Star on the Goddard would show award of the rocketry badge.

I also knew some Cadets coming up who preferred not to wear the badge because of the size/appearance. 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: 68w20 on October 01, 2018, 10:22:14 PM
Quote from: wacapgh on October 01, 2018, 07:56:19 PM

I also knew some Cadets coming up who preferred not to wear the badge because of the size/appearance.

....okay, and?

That doesn't really warrant the need to duplicate items. If you choose not to wear it, you choose not to wear it.

Eclipse

Quote from: Ned on October 01, 2018, 05:36:43 PM
There are more stars on cadet achievement ribbons lurking within the regulation..

For instance, I was awarded a silver star for my Spaatz ribbon.

Has a nice look to it.

Is it hard to mount a star on a stone tablet?

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2018, 11:31:52 PM

Is it hard to mount a star on a stone tablet?

Dremel tool and hot glue.  Works every time.  ;D