When to hand out awards

Started by UWONGO2, September 24, 2018, 06:21:42 PM

UWONGO2

The award committee I'm on is attempting to solidify some processes that includes when the awards be given to the recipient. We typically hand out a bunch of the awards at our annual wing conference, however there's never been any real rhyme or reason as to why the award gets handed out there versus at the home squadron. If you get nominated for a Commander's Commendation a month before the conference, it will get handed out at the conference. But what about 2 months? Or three months? Where do you draw the proverbial line? Or what happens if you get the award two months after the conference, should we wait until the following year?

I'm curious if any wings have any standardized process for this sort of thing.

Jester

My wing hasn't had a conference in a couple of years.  We hand out stuff as it makes its way down to us.  I've won wing-level awards both years we haven't had a conference and haven't been presented either one (I've gotten Comm Comms too, never presented).  Wing handed out a bunch of awards at the summer encampment, but they were all wing staff so I assume the expectation is that units present their own stuff.

I think it depends on what the award is, what it's for, etc.  If it's an Achievement Award for a cadet, I'll get that one on the agenda at a unit meeting, same for Comm Comm.  Anything higher probably has a much higher level of impact and probably needs a better venue for presentation, or at least coordinating a DV to come down and present.

Eclipse

Awards should be presented as soon as it's practical after they have been approved, not held for
activities few members attend - that's how they wind up behind file cabinets never presented.

They are intended to motivate and reward a volunteer, not make a party longer.

Waiting a year?  Might as well not even bother - by then, the person who did the "thing", might not
even be a member any more, partially due to the fact that the great "thing" they did, something
agreed by all parties was worthy of decoration, went unappreciated.

This is an issue moreso now then ever before with Commercial Media being so "important" in people's
lives.  The person who just spent 120 hours in an EOC up to his ankles in water is going to see
when the Wing Dir of Looking Out The Window (LOTW-D) gets his third MSA, while all he got was a refusal to
reimburse his fuel expenses because his S-1798 form was printed with the wrong font.

All the while an ESA is sitting in a drawer waiting for "next year's conference" which just got cancelled due
to lack of interest weather.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

When I was the Mass Wing DP we had a lot of submissions just prior to the Conferences. But the Wing Commander loved to visit squadrons to present awards at other times of the year. Awards should be presented as soon as possible after approval. If you see something commendable, write it up as soon as possible and ask the Wing or Group CC to present it. Doesn't have to be a special occasion.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 24, 2018, 07:35:32 PM
...the Wing Commander loved to visit squadrons to present awards at other times of the year.

I agree 100%, but to be fair...

...driving end-to-end, or even flying is a somewhat different proposition between MAWG and TXWG.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

I once received an Exceptional Service Award standing in the hallway at region headquarters.  As in, "hey we found this in the mailbox.  Here you go. . . "

We should all strive to do better.

TheSkyHornet

I'm totally with Eclipse on this.

This goes right in line with someone's promotion. A couple of weeks might not be the end of the world. But don't endlessly hold up recognizing someone for their achievements, especially if it's several months away. Common sense really needs to be applied since it's case-by-case.

Wing Conferences could just as easily read off a list of award recipients or list them in a welcome packet. I understand that the banquet may seem somewhat useless if 90% of the awards have already been presented. But I don't see the logic in waiting for a special event that you want to invite everyone to in order to present a certificate when not everyone can make it or it's so far off into the future.

capmaj

Quote from: Ned on September 24, 2018, 08:19:58 PM
I once received an Exceptional Service Award standing in the hallway at region headquarters.  As in, "hey we found this in the mailbox.  Here you go. . . "

I can beat that........ I had my Wilson slid down the table to me by a 1st Lt squadron commander.

PHall

Quote from: capmaj on September 24, 2018, 08:44:39 PM

I can beat that........ I had my Wilson slid down the table to me by a 1st Lt squadron commander.

At least you actually got it. ::)

sardak

I had an MSA presented by the mail carrier, sort of. I found an oversized envelope with an NHQ return address at my front door. Inside was the MSA certificate with nothing else included. And it seems the date on it was a year or two old. I was an active member, attended meetings and conferences and hadn't quit, moved or changed units in that time.

Mike

TheSkyHornet

Oh jeez...  ::) :clap:

I had to purchase all of my awards, rank insignia, and badges (with the exception of the AFOEA). Never had them presented in front of anyone.

So I made it a personal goal to never to that to my own staffs. I procure all of their duty-related items and make sure they are presented accordingly. I don't anyone to be in the position of having to ask me "Hey, so how does this work?"

Set the example.

ZigZag911

There's no reason awards can't be presented at the earliest opportunity.

Later, when there is a large gathering, recognize these folks publicly and thank them for their contributions...not a second ceremony, more a case of "The following have been awarded Commanders Commendations since the last wing conference (read list -- expression of thanks by wing CC) -- we'd like to aks all of them with us today to stand and accept the wing's appreciation."

Now they're getting noticed twice, locally and at the wing...ought to be good for morale!

Mitchell 1969

The practice at the City of L. A. has morphed into tradition.

Roll call, cops getting ready for briefing, the sergeant has a coin envelope in his hand.

"Your service pin arrived. The City thanks you. Here, catch," as he flings it over the heads of the guys sitting in front.

It's so ingrained that they depicted it in an episode of "Southland."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Eclipse on September 24, 2018, 07:38:58 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on September 24, 2018, 07:35:32 PM
...the Wing Commander loved to visit squadrons to present awards at other times of the year.

I agree 100%, but to be fair...

...driving end-to-end, or even flying is a somewhat different proposition between MAWG and TXWG.

That's why God and NHQ invented Group Commander's
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

ColonelJack

Quote from: PHall on September 24, 2018, 10:42:42 PM

At least you actually got it. ::)

I got my Wilson in the squadron mail.  I presented it to myself (I was squadron commander at the time) in a little ceremony right there in my own office, before anybody else arrived at the meeting.  At least a few of my CommComms and my MSA were actually presented to me.

Sheesh.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

GroundHawg

They didn't even fill out my Lifesaving certificates. They just handed me the blank certificate, still in the envelope it was mailed in, at a squadron meeting both times. All you can do is laugh sometimes.

Eclipse

I've gotten several in high-visibility public situations, but that's balanced by never
being pinned for a promotion, nor that I can recall, re-upping my oath.  They've all
just shown up in email unceremoniously, incl Lt Col.

Always a motivator is receiving a cert that has creases and bends in it from being shuffled around
from hand-to-hand (though now that most aren't printed by NHQ anymore, less of an issue,
or even better, has stains on it.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on September 25, 2018, 02:01:22 PM
Always a motivator is receiving a cert that has creases and bends in it from being shuffled around
from hand-to-hand (though now that most aren't printed by NHQ anymore, less of an issue,

So pulling the certificate out of your pocket is a no-no?

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 25, 2018, 03:05:43 PM

2 folds, along the center line is the max allowed by regulation.  BBQ sauce fingerprints are
"not for verification purposes"...

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on September 25, 2018, 03:32:02 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 25, 2018, 03:05:43 PM

2 folds, along the center line is the max allowed by regulation.  BBQ sauce fingerprints are
"not for verification purposes"...

BBQ sauce is ALWAYS welcome! YOU HEAR ME?!?!  >:(

ALWAYS.....

UWONGO2

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 24, 2018, 08:24:23 PMWing Conferences could just as easily read off a list of award recipients or list them in a welcome packet. I understand that the banquet may seem somewhat useless if 90% of the awards have already been presented. But I don't see the logic in waiting for a special event that you want to invite everyone to in order to present a certificate when not everyone can make it or it's so far off into the future.

This is an awesome idea that I will be unabashedly stealing.

PHall

Does your wing have a monthly/quarterly newsletter/magazine? List all of the awards/promotions, cadet and senior there.

CAP_truth

I've gotten several in high-visibility public situations, but that's balanced by never
being pinned for a promotion, nor that I can recall, re-upping my oath.  They've all

Sorry Eclipse I was present when you received your Lt. Col. grade was pinned and given oath.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Eclipse

Quote from: CAP_truth on September 26, 2018, 01:45:22 AM

Sorry Eclipse I was present when you received your Lt. Col. grade was pinned and given oath.

Pics or it didn't happen.

"That Others May Zoom"