Advice on short stacking?

Started by i_am_a_politician, September 12, 2018, 10:53:16 AM

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SarDragon on September 12, 2018, 07:28:16 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on September 12, 2018, 11:09:03 AM
I've done it as a senior member. It's one of those things where most people with common sense will (rightly) assume that since you have a Mitchell, you have all the ribbons that came before it.

It is a bit easier.

39-1 will lay out what you're allowed to do. Follow it, and you shouldn't have any problem.

But, but, I have a Mitchell, and I do not have all the prior ribbons. I was never awarded the Curry, because I did my first achievement under the olde program.  ;)

You have what was considered at THAT  time as the equivalent thereof. At THIS time there are only old-timers who even remember. Besides, as a Mitchell holder, you'll never wear either a Red Training Ribbon or a Curry anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 13, 2018, 02:56:43 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 12, 2018, 07:28:16 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on September 12, 2018, 11:09:03 AM
I've done it as a senior member. It's one of those things where most people with common sense will (rightly) assume that since you have a Mitchell, you have all the ribbons that came before it.

It is a bit easier.

39-1 will lay out what you're allowed to do. Follow it, and you shouldn't have any problem.

But, but, I have a Mitchell, and I do not have all the prior ribbons. I was never awarded the Curry, because I did my first achievement under the olde program.  ;)

Wear the Red Traing Ribbon-if you can find one.:)

He can't. He can wear his "highest," which, in his case, is the Mitchell.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: etodd on September 13, 2018, 02:08:52 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 12, 2018, 02:05:16 PM

If anyone is paying attention to your ribbon rack.....

No m'aam! ... its was your "ribbon" rack I was admiring.

100,000 push-ups for you.

Ready? Exercise.

N6RVT

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on September 12, 2018, 10:38:25 PM
I usually don't wear ribbons or I short-stack on class B's, it just depends on the occasion for me.
And I recommend wearing all your ribbons on class A's, it looks neater in my opinion.

Mine don't fit, even if I do 4 across.  It makes the coat uncomfortable and I find myself talking with a Russian accent.

Drop the rocketry badge and the marksmanship award, change cadet Col to senior Major, and I would look like this.  I actually have more, but the observer wings can't go above the lapel notch.

I was trying to think up some funny comment about that being in the regulations as paragraph 11.1.1.1.1. but its late.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on September 14, 2018, 04:01:27 AM
I usually don't wear ribbons or I short-stack on class B's, it just depends on the occasion for me.
And I recommend wearing all your ribbons on class A's, it looks neater in my opinion.

Mine don't fit, even if I do 4 across.  It makes the coat uncomfortable and I find myself talking with a Russian accent.

Drop the rocketry badge and the marksmanship award, change cadet Col to senior Major, and I would look like this.  I actually have more, but the observer wings can't go above the lapel notch.

I was trying to think up some funny comment about that being in the regulations as paragraph 11.1.1.1.1. but its late.

As a Major you wouldn't look like that at all. You'd lose about a dozen or so right off the bat.

PHall

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 14, 2018, 06:53:07 AM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on September 14, 2018, 04:01:27 AM

As a Major Captain you wouldn't look like that at all. You'd lose about a dozen or so right off the bat.

Fixed that for you.

N6RVT

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 14, 2018, 06:53:07 AM
As a Major you wouldn't look like that at all. You'd lose about a dozen or so right off the bat.

I am aware this is a photo of a cadet uniform.  The only ones I now have in common with this picture would be the Encampment, CAC & Mitchell.  They are, however, the same size.

Color Guard Rifleman

So if you are a part of a color guard wearing a service coat must you wear all your ribbons or can you short stack?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 14, 2018, 05:14:42 PM
So if you are a part of a color guard wearing a service coat must you wear all your ribbons or can you short stack?

You can still reduce your ribbons as per 39-1.  Being on a CG doesn't change that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2018, 05:17:50 PM

You can still reduce your ribbons as per 39-1.  Being on a CG doesn't change that.

Ok. But what about the service coat?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 14, 2018, 05:19:29 PM

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

The uniform standard didn't change just because your duty of the day changed.

Color Guards can be conducted in Class A, Class B, or utilities. The uniform standards that apply to each of those uniforms during a normal unit meeting apply when you're performing a Color Guard detail.

And don't confuse Color Guard with Honor Guard.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 17, 2018, 02:51:50 PM

The uniform standard didn't change just because your duty of the day changed.

Color Guards can be conducted in Class A, Class B, or utilities. The uniform standards that apply to each of those uniforms during a normal unit meeting apply when you're performing a Color Guard detail.

And don't confuse Color Guard with Honor Guard.

I wasn't confusing them, I was just wondering how the ribbon stacking differs between the two. (If at all) Also, what is the difference between Class A and B uniforms and the differences between them?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 17, 2018, 03:21:32 PM
I wasn't confusing them, I was just wondering how the ribbon stacking differs between the two. (If at all) Also, what is the difference between Class A and B uniforms and the differences between them?

No worries. It wasn't an accusation, just a reminder.

Class A = Service Dress (blues with the service coat - "dress blues")

Class B = Service Uniform (short sleeve or long sleeve blues without the service coat)

^ CAP/Air Force variations at least.
Each military branch has their own distinction for Class X service uniforms (some have a C...some have summer/winter/tropical variations...I'm partial to service khakis myself  ;D).

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 17, 2018, 03:27:19 PM

Class B = Service Uniform (short sleeve or long sleeve blues without the service coat)

Each military branch has their own distinction for Class X service uniforms (some have a C...some have summer/winter/tropical variations...I'm partial to service khakis myself  ;D).

So the ribbon stacking doesn't differ between Class A and Class B?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

Only real difference between the shirt and the coat is you can go with rows of 4 on the coat if you want, the shirt is restricted to rows of 3.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 17, 2018, 03:33:29 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 17, 2018, 03:27:19 PM

So the ribbon stacking doesn't differ between Class A and Class B?

Ribbons are mandatory on the Class A service coat. They are optional on the Class B shirt.

If you wear ribbons on Class As, you can short-stack it. If you wear ribbons on Class Bs, you can short-stack it.

If you choose to wear Class As, you must wear ribbons on the service coat. I recommend not wearing them underneath on the shirt.

If you choose to wear Class Bs, you can go without ribbons. If you choose to go with ribbons, you can wear all, or short-stack.

The only ribbons you can decide to take off, when short-stacking, are your Cadet Program achievement ribbons (Curry, Feik, Mitchell, etc.). The "CAP Achievement Award" is an award, not a Cadet Program achievement. So you must wear everything else if you choose to short-stack; only remove the Cadet Program achievements below your highest rank. If you earned any devices (subsequent awards, etc.), then you must wear those on the ribbon... now, who's really going to know that you earned two versus one? Nobody, really. But Integrity is a Core Value. Remember that.

If you wear the service coat, and the collar lapel covers the ribbons, they align to the right when stacked (and as Jester said, you can wear a row of 4 instead of 3; I prefer 3 myself). If you are wearing the service coat, and the lapel does not cover the ribbons, then you center the top ribbons. If you wear Class Bs, center the ribbons.

Again, my preference is to not wear any. That's your call. if you wear them, I would suggest you short-stack, just because the more stuff you have on, the more there is to go haywire. But that's just me. You do you.

mdickinson

Quote from: PHall on September 12, 2018, 07:13:17 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 12, 2018, 06:53:52 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 12, 2018, 06:49:47 PM
What about Milestone awards?
What about them? The milestone is a Cadet Program achievement. So as a C/TSgt, you would wear your Rickenbacker ribbon, not your Wright Brothers ribbon.
You wear your highest Cadet Program Achievement ribbon. Same rule the senior members follow.

What "rule the senior members follow"??

(a) there is no rule about seniors short-stacking. There is a ribbon+device height limit, but beyond that no rule - only one sentence saying we are "encouraged" (:o) to choose our prof.dev. ribbons as the first to go. (See attached snip from M39-1.)

(b) when have senior members ever followed a rule - especially one regarding uniform wear?!  ;D

PHall

Quote from: mdickinson on September 21, 2018, 11:46:04 AM
Quote from: PHall on September 12, 2018, 07:13:17 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 12, 2018, 06:53:52 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 12, 2018, 06:49:47 PM
What about Milestone awards?
What about them? The milestone is a Cadet Program achievement. So as a C/TSgt, you would wear your Rickenbacker ribbon, not your Wright Brothers ribbon.
You wear your highest Cadet Program Achievement ribbon. Same rule the senior members follow.

What "rule the senior members follow"??

(a) there is no rule about seniors short-stacking. There is a ribbon+device height limit, but beyond that no rule - only one sentence saying we are "encouraged" (:o) to choose our prof.dev. ribbons as the first to go. (See attached snip from M39-1.)

(b) when have senior members ever followed a rule - especially one regarding uniform wear?!  ;D

The rule where seniors who are former cadets wear their highest cadet achievement ribbon.