Advice on short stacking?

Started by i_am_a_politician, September 12, 2018, 10:53:16 AM

i_am_a_politician

Hey all, just got my Mitchell today, which also means another ribbon to add to my rack.

What do you all think about short stacking?  Does it look more professional and cleaner overall?  Can it possibly confuse more junior (and sometimes seasoned) cadets when a C/CMSgt has more ribbons than a C/Capt?

Do you recommend it? (especially for comfort since bigger racks tend to get less comfortable)
1st Lt Politician

Hawk200

I've done it as a senior member. It's one of those things where most people with common sense will (rightly) assume that since you have a Mitchell, you have all the ribbons that came before it.

It is a bit easier.

39-1 will lay out what you're allowed to do. Follow it, and you shouldn't have any problem.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

In the guide above titled 'The Proper Wear of CAP Ribbons' there are recommendations on short-stacking. It used to be allowed only for seniors but cadets can short stack after they've earned the Mitchell Award.

In the Squidward Service - ahem - the Navy, there are three options for short-stacking ribbons:

Single row of three consisting of the three top decorations and awards.
Three rows of three containing any nine decorations and awards. These must be in the proper order of precedence.
Full stack on service dress uniforms.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

NIN

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 12, 2018, 01:49:02 PM
<snip>

In the Squidward Service - ahem - the Navy, there are three options for short-stacking ribbons:

<superfluous guidance deleted>

Good thing we're not the Navy.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AlphaSigOU

KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: lam_the_lame on September 12, 2018, 10:53:16 AM
What do you all think about short stacking?  Does it look more professional and cleaner overall?  Can it possibly confuse more junior (and sometimes seasoned) cadets when a C/CMSgt has more ribbons than a C/Capt?

It shouldn't confuse anyone how many ribbons you have. What's on your shoulders and flight cap indicate your grade, not your ribbon rack. Most people couldn't even tell you what ribbon means what.

I don't even wear ribbons, only badges. In fact, I think all but one of our cadet officers wears ribbons, to include a C/Lt Col. There is that old "tradition" about Air Force officers not wearing ribbons. But that's an -ism that really means nothing, and it's not as often as people think.

For me, ribbons are just one more thing I have to tend to on a uniform, and one more thing for me to lose or dirty up. But that's me. Don't take that as guidance. The less I have to wear, the easier (ooh-la-la, tres chic!).

In the military, it's more likely that an E-9 would have more ribbons than an O-3. He's been in a heck of a lot longer. But really, nobody cares.

If anyone is paying attention to your ribbon rack and not your authority, there's a bigger issue. Maybe work on teaching them modesty.

Jester

In the guide above titled 'The Proper Wear of CAP Ribbons' there are recommendations on short-stacking. It used to be allowed only for seniors but cadets can short stack after they've earned the Mitchell Award.

Three rows of three containing any nine decorations and awards. These must be in the proper order of precedence.

Where did you get that not about the mitchell?  Because that's not on the reg.

Starbird

Quote from: lam_the_lame on September 12, 2018, 10:53:16 AM
Hey all, just got my Mitchell today, which also means another ribbon to add to my rack.

Do you recommend it? (especially for comfort since bigger racks tend to get less comfortable)

I personally always do it, unless I have to face a Board of Review.  My personal view is that having a boat load of ribbons on the uniform doesn't really add anything (the cadet promotion ribbons are represented with stripes, circles, and diamonds... do we really need a ribbon for each one as well?) and that it can lead to promoting for the wrong reasons.  And as such I opt to wear as few as possible when I can.  It is also common for me to forgo ribbons on my class B uniform altogether.

And yes, it is certainly more comfortable! :)  As far as I'm concerned, the less frogs pressing into my chest the better, since bigger racks tend to have more fasteners.

Eclipse

CAPM 39-1, Page 112:

11.1.1.1.2. Cadets. Cadets may choose to reduce the height of their ribbon bar by
removing all cadet achievement ribbons but their highest Cadet Program achievement ribbon. All other
earned CAP ribbons and devices must still be worn

Nothing about Mitchell.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Jester on September 12, 2018, 02:26:11 PM

Considering how many years (decades) it's been since Chuck was a cadet, I'm guessing that things have changed just a little.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: jeders on September 12, 2018, 05:39:03 PM
Quote from: Jester on September 12, 2018, 02:26:11 PM

Considering how many years (decades) it's been since Chuck was a cadet, I'm guessing that things have changed just a little.

Yea, my age is showing as a former cadink!  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2018, 05:29:15 PM
CAPM 39-1, Page 112:

11.1.1.1.2. Cadets. Cadets may choose to reduce the height of their ribbon bar by
removing all cadet achievement ribbons but their highest Cadet Program achievement ribbon. All other

Nothing about Mitchell.

What about Milestone awards?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 12, 2018, 06:49:47 PM
CAPM 39-1, Page 112:

Nothing about Mitchell.

What about them? The milestone is a Cadet Program achievement. So as a C/TSgt, you would wear your Rickenbacker ribbon, not your Wright Brothers ribbon.

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 12, 2018, 06:53:52 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 12, 2018, 06:49:47 PM
CAPM 39-1, Page 112:

Nothing about Mitchell.

What about them? The milestone is a Cadet Program achievement. So as a C/TSgt, you would wear your Rickenbacker ribbon, not your Wright Brothers ribbon.

You wear your highest Cadet Program Achievement ribbon. Same rule the senior members follow.

SarDragon

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 12, 2018, 11:09:03 AM
I've done it as a senior member. It's one of those things where most people with common sense will (rightly) assume that since you have a Mitchell, you have all the ribbons that came before it.

It is a bit easier.

39-1 will lay out what you're allowed to do. Follow it, and you shouldn't have any problem.

But, but, I have a Mitchell, and I do not have all the prior ribbons. I was never awarded the Curry, because I did my first achievement under the olde program.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

I_Am_Twigs

I usually don't wear ribbons or I short-stack on class B's, it just depends on the occasion for me.

And I recommend wearing all your ribbons on class A's, it looks neater in my opinion.
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

etodd

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 12, 2018, 02:05:16 PM

If anyone is paying attention to your ribbon rack.....

No m'aam! ... its was your "ribbon" rack I was admiring.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

MSG Mac

Quote from: SarDragon on September 12, 2018, 07:28:16 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on September 12, 2018, 11:09:03 AM

It is a bit easier.

But, but, I have a Mitchell, and I do not have all the prior ribbons. I was never awarded the Curry, because I did my first achievement under the olde program.  ;)

Wear the Red Traing Ribbon-if you can find one.:)
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Red Training ribbon came after  satisfactorily completing Achievement One of the Phase II cadet training program.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret