Main Menu

Unit Citation

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, September 11, 2018, 05:07:38 PM

Color Guard Rifleman

I recommended a unit citation for my unit around a month ago. How long does it usually take for the award to be approved?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

jhighman

Remember that this is an award that must be reviewed and approved at every echelon from your squadron commander all the way to NHQ.

Just as an example, as a squadron commander, I nominated my unit and we were awarded the distinction.

I submitted via online CAPF-120 in eServices on 27 Dec 2016. Group approved on 28 December 2016. Don't expect this kind of turn around! I mentioned to my boss that I was writing the citation so he knew it was coming.

Wing approved on 13 January 2017. Region on 16 January 2017. Again, this is unusually fast. Some of the speed is because of eServices, but some is because of deadlines with annual "of-the-year" award nominations.

National approved on 10 May 2017. It was presented at the Region conference on 20 May 2017.

So, while six months is possible, I wouldn't expect such a turn around. Perhaps closer to nine to twelve months.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

If submitted through eServices, it should be reviewed relatively quickly. I'm not sure cadets can submit an award recommendation in eServices, though. I haven't browsed the cadet portal enough.

If submitted by paper, it can take a lifetime.

The current question is:
Who has it held up for review? If it made it through your Commander, did it make it through Group, and so forth? If they rejected it, you may just not have been informed.

Vegas1972

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 11, 2018, 06:17:30 PM
I'm not sure cadets can submit an award recommendation in eServices, though. I haven't browsed the cadet portal enough.

The Award Recommendation Module is available to cadets in eServices.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Vegas1972 on September 11, 2018, 06:22:34 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 11, 2018, 06:17:30 PM
I'm not sure cadets can submit an award recommendation in eServices, though. I haven't browsed the cadet portal enough.

The Award Recommendation Module is available to cadets in eServices.

Ah. Didn't know that.

GaryVC

I submitted one for our unit last year in eServices. While it was approved fairly quickly, it wasn't presented and eServices wasn't updated until about 6 months after I submitted it.

Eclipse

Quote from: GaryVC on September 11, 2018, 11:35:20 PM
I submitted one for our unit last year in eServices. While it was approved fairly quickly, it wasn't presented and eServices wasn't updated until about 6 months after I submitted it.

Do UC's even show up in eServices?

The last time I looked they didn't.

I would >>>luuvvvv<<< it if they finally worked right and were only awarded to individuals who were assigned to
the charter of record at the time of whatever instigated the award.

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2018, 12:41:23 AM

I would >>>luuvvvv<<< it if they finally worked right and were only awarded to individuals who were assigned to

You have to click historical for the award to show up in eServices
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Starbird

Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2018, 12:41:23 AM

....how else are they awarded?  100% agree... anyone receiving an UC for something they weren't even around for is completely bogus IMHO.  Always assumed they were only awarded as you stated they should be awarded....

Eclipse

Quote from: Starbird on September 12, 2018, 02:18:22 AM
....how else are they awarded?  100% agree... anyone receiving an UC for something they weren't even around for is completely bogus IMHO.  Always assumed they were only awarded as you stated they should be awarded....

Historically the awards were very laissez faire which is why you would see C/SrAs with several before they had an
encampment.

Some wings would just blanket SPAM "everyone in the wing", or something similar.

Then you had a lot of units who thought CAP was the Army and would present a UC ribbon to every new member
"while they were in the unit", which for most members is the same as "forever".

And then there are those who wore them because of Squadron of Merit ((*sigh*)), etc., etc.

There are a lot of people of a certain era wearing the Green Jelly Bean who have no idea when or why they
received it, or sometimes even where.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I am probably of that certain era.

Back when communications were all paper based, "the word" didn't get out nearly as efficiently. The entire Northeast Region was awarded a UC back in the 1960s, but it was not well passed down to the units. It wasn't until about 15 years ago that I was actually able to verify this award, and my eligibility to wear it, before I actually put it on my rack.

Before that, in my mind, it was simply rumour, and and I didn't wear it. I still do not know the exact circumstances behind the award.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

That's one thing I appreciated with the AFOEA, that it went to people within the service period and not a mass blast. Although, I imagine there are units out there that dished them out to everyone.

I think with the AEX, our unit has only presented certificates to the individuals that were in the unit within the dates than everyone on the roster by the time the awards came out.

Anyway....I'm curious, and maybe it's not my business, as to what the unit citation here was for. Considering that unit citations should be items of esteemed merit:
- Is the hold-up due to vetting it?
- Is the hold-up due to complacency?

Citations like that should be taken seriously enough to properly review, but expediently enough to recognize accomplishments in a timely manner.

Starbird

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 12, 2018, 02:13:31 PM
That's one thing I appreciated with the AFOEA, that it went to people within the service period and not a mass blast. Although, I imagine there are units out there that dished them out to everyone.

Nice thing about the AFOEA, it is specifically listed in each person's e-services if they are authorized to wear the award.... so ***hopefully*** people would check to see if they are actually eligible... before slapping on the award.  Now, as you said, I'm sure there are people who didn't understand the scope of the award and just assumed that all current members are authorized to wear it or something along those lines.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Starbird on September 12, 2018, 02:20:57 PM
Now, as you said, I'm sure there are people who didn't understand the scope of the award and just assumed that all current members are authorized to wear it or something along those lines.

Well, I think what happens is that people "hear" about something, look it up, and think it applies to them. And then you have this mass exodus of awards that go out. I make it the equivalent of those memes that are like "Do you have depression? You might if you have these signs..."

"Oh, I'm in CAP. CAP got an award. Therefore, I got an award."

I don't think it's malicious, perhaps more ignorant.

If you have a good Personnel Officer and a good Professional Development Officer, these things shouldn't slip by.

How many people earned a Red Service Ribbon though and never received one (or even know it's a thing)?

Eclipse

I think with the AEX, our unit has only presented certificates to the individuals that were in the unit within the dates than everyone on the roster by the time the awards came out.

Well, I guess it's a nice to have, but AEX is presented to the squadron, not the members.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2018, 05:31:56 PM

Well, I guess it's a nice to have, but AEX is presented to the squadron, not the members.

Negative, Ghostrider.

The AEX award is presented to the unit. Certificates are encouraged to be presented to the individual unit members:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/AEX_CAP_Certificate_7EA7AFE6B0D92.pdf

Eclipse

Are these new?  First I've seen them.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2018, 07:07:05 PM
Are these new?  First I've seen them.

Nah. They've been around around for several years, at least. The templates seem like they were maybe updated recently.

I don't handle them in my role. I've just been a recipient each year, so I've got a them laying around...somewhere...

These are off of the AEX for Seniors page: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/aerospace-education/programs/aex-for-senior-members
So maybe they're just a senior member-only thing? No clue.

Anyway, the point still stands. Monitor who is supposed to get an award rather than blasting awards out to everyone in the unit. It's an area to be cautious with because you may get new members on the roster after the end date of the award criteria but before the awards are distributed. And it can be awkward for someone who's been in the unit for 3 months to suddenly be the only one without an award presented to him/her. I recommend explaining to that person on the side that why they were not in the group that received it.

SarDragon

On the two instances when CAWG got a UCA since I've been in the wing, I generated a supplemental PA, listing the names of everyone eligible to wear it, and put it in the records. It took a little research, but there were no questions on who could or couldn't wear the ribbon.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret