Cadet Flight Duty Uniform

Started by stratocaster29, July 29, 2018, 04:13:03 PM

jb512

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 20, 2018, 03:34:51 PM
Question: What would be the best example of "attempting to do something in violation of a reg?"

Answer: "Some personal opinions were not consistent with the way the reg is worded."

Another good source is CAPR 1-2 Attachment 7 which has the definition of terms - what is directive, non-directive, etc. The words "Shall, Shall Not, Will, Will Not, Must or Must Not" or "May", "Should".

Okayish Aviator

I mean, it's pretty clear, (emphasis mine):

8.1. USAF-style and Corporate-style Flight Duty Uniform (FDU) Guidance
8.1.1. Authorized FDU.
8.1.1.1. The USAF-style FDU and Corporate FDU (CFDU) are Flight duty includes preparation, preflight, in-flight, post-flight, and other flight related duties associated with aircraft operations. The FDU and CFDU are authorized for wear by personnel who have or previously had a CAP aeronautical rating as defined by CAPR 35-6, Aeronautical Ratings, Emergency Services Patch and Badges, and Ground Team Badges, and/or have a current aircrew mission qualification (mission pilot, transport pilot, observer, scanner, aerial photographer, etc.). Personnel who do not have a current aircrew mission qualification or a current or prior aeronautical rating may be authorized wear of the FDU and CFDU on days when actual flying is planned or anticipated. Wing commanders will determine when FDU and CFDU wear is appropriate.

So:

• Is authorized functional clothing for wear by individuals who perform aviation particular duties.
  • Is authorized for wear by personnel who have or previously had a CAP aeronautical rating as defined by CAPR 35-6
  • Can be worn by those without an aeronautical rating / aircrew rating when actual flying is planned or anticipated.
  • Can be worn by those with an Aircrew or Aeronautical Rating (no restrictions are given except those outlined in 8.1.2 of the CAPM-39-1 for those WITH a rating)

That said, don't be the one dude at the squadron wearing a flight suit on a squadron meeting when everyone is in ABU's or Blues. Don't be that toolbag.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Eclipse

Quote from: jb512 on September 20, 2018, 03:50:10 PM
Another good source is CAPR 1-2 Attachment 7 which has the definition of terms - what is directive, non-directive, etc. The words "Shall, Shall Not, Will, Will Not, Must or Must Not" or "May", "Should".

Unfortunately that's not any more help, as NHQ does not follow it's own guidelines for that in a lot of cases,
and / or has regs that internally conflict with themselves, or conflict with other regs or pamphlets.

"That Others May Zoom"

jb512

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2018, 03:42:58 PM
Quote from: jb512 on September 20, 2018, 03:14:35 PM
Wing commanders will determine when FDU and CFDU wear is appropriate.

So...members should email the Wing CC each time they go to a meeting and ask if they
can wear a given uniforms?

Or maybe there should be a report that's updated each week so when people get a rating
the Wing CC can access it to be able to respond?

Or...

Wear a flight suit when you're going to be in a CAP plane, and not when you're not.

Your last idea would be an appropriate directive for a wing commander to issue according to the reg.

Eclipse

Quote from: DocJekyll on September 20, 2018, 03:50:41 PM

8.1.1. Authorized FDU.
8.1.1.1. The USAF-style FDU and Corporate FDU (CFDU) are Flight duty includes preparation, preflight, in-flight, post-flight, and other flight related duties associated with aircraft operations. The FDU and CFDU are authorized for wear by personnel who have or previously had a CAP aeronautical rating as defined by CAPR 35-6, Aeronautical Ratings, Emergency Services Patch and Badges, and Ground Team Badges, and/or have a current aircrew mission qualification (mission pilot, transport pilot, observer, scanner, aerial photographer, etc.). Personnel who do not have a current aircrew mission qualification or a current or prior aeronautical rating may be authorized wear of the FDU and CFDU on days when actual flying is planned or anticipated. Wing commanders will determine when FDU and CFDU wear is appropriate.

So:

• Is authorized functional clothing for wear by individuals who perform aviation particular duties.
  • Is authorized for wear by personnel who have or previously had a CAP aeronautical rating as defined by CAPR 35-6
  • Can be worn by those without an aeronautical rating / aircrew rating when actual flying is planned or anticipated.
  • Can be worn by those with an Aircrew or Aeronautical Rating (no restrictions are given except those outlined in 8.1.2 of the CAPM-39-1 for those WITH a rating)

The problem with this assertion is it negates the need for 1/2 the verbiege - why assert only aero ratings and then
later say assert "anyone" regardless of rating?

That said, don't be the one dude at the squadron wearing a flight suit on a squadron meeting when everyone is in ABU's or Blues. Don't be that toolbag.

This.

"That Others May Zoom"

jb512

8.1.1. Authorized FDU.

So:

I'm not saying that he/she would not be a toolbag - that's a whole different discussion. I'm just saying that being a toolbag is not against regulations.  :D

jb512

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2018, 03:53:46 PM
Quote from: jb512 on September 20, 2018, 03:50:10 PM

Unfortunately that's not any more help, as NHQ does not follow it's own guidelines for that in a lot of cases,
and / or has regs that internally conflict with themselves, or conflict with other regs or pamphlets.

On that I agree with you.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2018, 03:55:46 PM

8.1.1. Authorized FDU.

So:

The problem with this assertion is it negates the need for 1/2 the verbiege - why assert only aero ratings and then

This.

It doesn't give blanket authorization though, it says "may be authorized", so that means they still need approval from someone higher up. I wouldn't say that negates any of the verbage above it.

Eclipse

Quote from: jb512 on September 20, 2018, 03:56:37 PMI'm not saying that he/she would not be a toolbag - that's a whole different discussion. I'm just saying that being a toolbag is not against regulations.  :D

Maybe that should be General Order #1.

"Don't be a toolbag."

"That Others May Zoom"

jb512

Quote from: DocJekyll on September 20, 2018, 03:58:44 PM

8.1.1. Authorized FDU.

So:

This.

It doesn't give blanket authorization though, it says "may be authorized", so that means they still need approval from someone higher up. I wouldn't say that negates any of the verbage above it.

May – indicates an acceptable or suggested means of accomplishment (nondirective).

CAPR 1-2 Attachment 7

jb512

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2018, 03:59:13 PM
Quote from: jb512 on September 20, 2018, 03:56:37 PMI'm not saying that he/she would not be a toolbag - that's a whole different discussion. I'm just saying that being a toolbag is not against regulations.  :D

Maybe that should be General Order #1.

"Don't be a toolbag."

If they had just added that we wouldn't have needed this entire discussion...

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: jb512 on September 20, 2018, 04:01:27 PM

8.1.1. Authorized FDU.

So:

This.

May – indicates an acceptable or suggested means of accomplishment (nondirective).

CAPR 1-2 Attachment 7

Read it again. "May be authorized" May (indicating a non-directive) be Authorized (having official permission or approval)

This indicates a higher authority can give them permission to wear it, but they don't have to. Don't get caught on one word, look at the whole thing. This ain't rocket science.

Luis R. Ramos

Good Lord!   :-\

Stop taking it and understanding it piecemeal!  :-\ :-\

Read it in its entirety!  :-\ :-\ :-\

Interpret it in its entirety!  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

The answer has been given by Eclipse!!!  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

jb512

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 20, 2018, 04:48:34 PM
Good Lord!   :-\

Stop taking it and understanding it piecemeal!  :-\ :-\

Read it in its entirety!  :-\ :-\ :-\

Interpret it in its entirety!  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

The answer has been given by Eclipse!!!  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\  :-\

Relax. I thought there were more dissenters at the beginning of this thread, but maybe I am the only one left.

An answer was given by Eclipse, not the answer...

jb512

Quote from: DocJekyll on September 20, 2018, 04:31:59 PM
Quote from: jb512 on September 20, 2018, 04:01:27 PM

8.1.1. Authorized FDU.

So:

This.

CAPR 1-2 Attachment 7

Read it again. "May be authorized" May (indicating a non-directive) be Authorized (having official permission or approval)

This indicates a higher authority can give them permission to wear it, but they don't have to. Don't get caught on one word, look at the whole thing. This ain't rocket science.

I'm not advocating that we start wearing the bags at meetings or even change what seems to be a common interpretation of the regulation. I just think it is interesting that there is almost an anti-aircrew sentiment in an organization that has flying as an integral component of its mission. This is the only service that cares so much about this issue compared to other services including military, law enforcement, medical, etc. Every branch or agency that has rated flyers consider the flight suit their duty uniform whether they are flying that day or not.

Eclipse

Quote from: jb512 on September 20, 2018, 05:20:28 PM
I'm not advocating that we start wearing the bags at meetings or even change what seems to be a common interpretation of the regulation. I just think it is interesting that there is almost an anti-aircrew sentiment in an organization that has flying as an integral component of its mission. This is the only service that cares so much about this issue compared to other services including military, law enforcement, medical, etc. Every branch or agency that has rated flyers consider the flight suit their duty uniform whether they are flying that day or not.

CAP doesn't even need the flight suit - the rest of the GA world flies in shorts and t-shirts.
Nomex in a Cessna is a silly affectation, and there is no statistical basis for it to be considered a
factor in reducing GA injuries, because thankfully there aren't enough GA crashes that include both
fire and Nomex.

CAP doesn't have a "duty uniform".  It does have an MBU, which is whites.

CAP doesn't issue uniforms to adults, nor compensate them for the purchase, therefore
they can't have a "duty uniform" (despite the assertion by 39-1 that a CC can set any UOD).

Expecting people to dress properly and leave the tactical onsie at home when it's inappropriate
for the activity isn't "anti-aircrew" it's "pro appearance and common sense".

However if there is an "anti-aircrew bias" look to the behavior of the "zipper-suited sun gods"
who in many cases disregard not only uniform but other CAP protocols and policies, including height and grooming,
not to mention wearing the same bag they bought 20 years ago, including the wrong insignia and coffee stains.

"That Others May Zoom"

jb512

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2018, 05:28:20 PM

CAP doesn't even need the flight suit - the rest of the GA world flies in shorts and t-shirts.
Nomex in a Cessna is a silly affectation, and there is no statistical basis for it to be considered a
factor in reducing GA injuries, because thankfully there aren't enough GA crashes that include both
fire and Nomex.

CAP doesn't issue uniforms to adults, nor compensate them for the purchase, therefore
they can't have a "duty uniform" (despite the assertion by 39-1 that a CC can set any UOD).

Expecting people to dress properly and leave the tactical onsie at home when it's inappropriate

However if there is an "anti-aircrew bias" look to the behavior of the "zipper-suited sun gods"
who in many cases disregard not only uniform but other CAP protocols and policies, including height and grooming,
not to mention wearing the same bag they bought 20 years ago, including the wrong insignia and coffee stains.

The argument against the flight suit could be made for more than just GA. It's not usually the fire that kills you, it's the sudden impact prior to the fire.

I get it, it's a mentality that some are better than others or think that the rules don't apply for whatever reason. That is not limited just to CAP, trust me. It's just interesting to me that the flight suit is the only one where so many people scream "No! Never to our squadron meetings!" when it's just another uniform hanging in the closet.

Eclipse

Quote from: jb512 on September 20, 2018, 05:47:15 PMI get it, it's a mentality that some are better than others or think that the rules don't apply for whatever reason. That is not limited just to CAP, trust me. It's just interesting to me that the flight suit is the only one where so many people scream "No! Never to our squadron meetings!" when it's just another uniform hanging in the closet.

What would you say to members who showed up every week wearing full GT battle rattle?

"That Others May Zoom"

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: jb512 on September 20, 2018, 05:47:15 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2018, 05:28:20 PM

fire and Nomex.

The argument against the flight suit could be made for more than just GA. It's not usually the fire that kills you, it's the sudden impact prior to the fire.

I get it, it's a mentality that some are better than others or think that the rules don't apply for whatever reason. That is not limited just to CAP, trust me. It's just interesting to me that the flight suit is the only one where so many people scream "No! Never to our squadron meetings!" when it's just another uniform hanging in the closet.

I was always politely informed that the reason for the fire bag is so that you can be properly identified after the crash, not to protect you from dying during a crash and the subsequent fire. lol.

But the May Authorize is in regards to those without qualifications.... for those who have them, there are no restrictions.

That said, and as I stated above... don't be that toolbag.

jb512

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2018, 05:53:31 PM
Quote from: jb512 on September 20, 2018, 05:47:15 PMI get it, it's a mentality that some are better than others or think that the rules don't apply for whatever reason. That is not limited just to CAP, trust me. It's just interesting to me that the flight suit is the only one where so many people scream "No! Never to our squadron meetings!" when it's just another uniform hanging in the closet.

What would you say to members who showed up every week wearing full GT battle rattle?

Equipment is a different story. I would not expect 24/72 hour packs to be worn into a normal squadron meeting any more than I would expect a headset, gloves, or pockets full of charts.