Main Menu

Overcoat/Topcoat?

Started by ChamorroPride, November 10, 2017, 02:57:35 AM

ChamorroPride

So firstly, what's the difference between the overcoat and topcoat? I believe I heard something or read something about the topcoat being more "dressy" but I'm just curious as to how, and to what they both look like in comparison with eachother. Also, where can I buy either/or? Thank you!
C/CMSgt Jacob A. Halbrook, CAP
Cadet First Sergeant
NER-NY-283

LSThiker

Quote from: Cadet Halbrook on November 10, 2017, 02:57:35 AM
So firstly, what's the difference between the overcoat and topcoat? I believe I heard something or read something about the topcoat being more "dressy" but I'm just curious as to how, and to what they both look like in comparison with eachother. Also, where can I buy either/or? Thank you!

For the USAF, the Overcoat consists of polyester, cotton and poplin material, while the topcoat is a polyester and wool gabardine.  Essentially, they are same except for weight of the fabrics.

Traditionally, a topcoat was a lighter and thinner version of an overcoat.  While fabrics have changed over the decades, today the topcoat is typically made from a cotton gabardine material, while the overcoat is made from heavier materials.  The topcoat was made for the fall and spring periods, while the overcoat was made for winter.  In addition, the overcoat was made to be worn over a suit jacket (hence overcoat).  On the other hand, the topcoat was made for the time when a suit jacket was not necessary or when a suit jacket was necessary but would be too warm for a overcoat.  In regards to "dressy", both coats were considered "dressy" (by today's standards) and the same (by tradition). 

I own both a civilian topcoat and an overcoat for formal events.  While living in the North, my overcoat was worn more.  Living in the South, my topcoat was worn more.  As an aside, I would suggest any young man to learn more than a cursory knowledge of gentleman's fashion for suits and formal events. 

Of course, for USAF uniforms, let a lone CAP uniforms, you only need one.  So think about your environment.  Also, remember, if you wear a USAF-style service coat, think about the size.  When wearing a shirt, the coat may fit, but when you wear the coat with a service jacket, it may be a bit too tight.