Main Menu

AAFES price list

Started by dogboy, June 09, 2010, 05:31:58 PM

J2H

SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

N6RVT

Quote from: PHall on February 02, 2018, 01:46:00 AM
As soon as my status changed to USAF Retired AAFES would not sell me uniform items online.
They have zero problem taking my money in person though. ::)

And I got yet a third result.  I am a retired Army officer.  AAFES will let my buy most uniform items online - but not DLAATS items.  I can buy the $41 shirt - but not the $14 shirt - that online looks like the same thing.  I even think its the same picture.

In person they don't care how I was authorized to get in the building - all customers are the same at that point.

Eclipse

From comments here and IRL experience, it appears AAFES has somewhat of a mess on their hands in
this regard.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2018, 06:54:07 PM
From comments here and IRL experience, it appears AAFES has somewhat of a mess on their hands in
this regard.

I was truly surprised to find I could by anything online except a DLAATS uniform item.  Only possibility I can think of is that DLAATS is there for enlisted and online at least, my retired rank makes a difference.  As has been said, they don't care when you physically go there in person.  Which would be the only way I could get ABU's, as I don't think they even exist in a non-DLAATS version.

Fester

Quote from: N6RVT on March 20, 2018, 07:04:47 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2018, 06:54:07 PM
this regard.

I was truly surprised to find I could by anything online except a DLAATS uniform item.  Only possibility I can think of is that DLAATS is there for enlisted and online at least, my retired rank makes a difference.  As has been said, they don't care when you physically go there in person.  Which would be the only way I could get ABU's, as I don't think they even exist in a non-DLAATS version.

Propper makes ABU's....

https://www.propper.com/men-s-abu-trouser.html
https://www.propper.com/men-s-abu-coat.html
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

SarDragon

I have had varying experience buying AF uniforms in person. According to a couple of places, DLAATS items are universally restricted to folks with green and red ID cards. Other places let anyone buy them. USN and USMC uniforms are generally sold in two different locations - the uniform store for DLAATS stuff, and the exchange for everything else, simplifying the restrictions.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

G+10

Quote from: N6RVT on March 20, 2018, 07:04:47 PM

You are correct sir - I'm just a veteran (not retired) and I was able to load non-DLATS stuff to my cart.

Jester

Anything not DLATS is a commercial item and open for purchase, DLATS is restricted to current military.

I used to work in an MCS.

SarDragon

Quote from: Jester on March 21, 2018, 11:50:08 PM
Anything not DLATS is a commercial item and open for purchase, DLATS is restricted to current military.

Enforcement seems to be uneven.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Jester

Quote from: SarDragon on March 22, 2018, 01:40:44 AM
Quote from: Jester on March 21, 2018, 11:50:08 PM

Enforcement seems to be uneven.
Probably wouldn't be AAFES if it wasn't.

There's probably some tomfoolery going on with DEERS too since that's what AAFES privileges are based on.

hfriday

Soooo....at the end of all that, is the supposed process as outlined in CAPM 39-1 defunct? Is it no longer possible to get an MCSS catalog sent to a unit (perhaps electronically, if not in print?), or to gain individual access by calling some magic telephone number and then ordering over the phone? Has all that gone away with the advent of shopmyexchange.com?

As a veteran who has some sense of AAFES, my commander has tasked me with getting to the bottom of this and getting our unit access to uniforms ASAP.

Thanks for any insights anyone has on how to proceed here!

Eclipse

Quote from: hfriday on April 25, 2019, 04:16:30 PM
Soooo....at the end of all that, is the supposed process as outlined in CAPM 39-1 defunct?

Correct - as of last contact, AAFES is no longer available to members except for in-person MCSS locations.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: hfriday on April 25, 2019, 04:16:30 PM
Soooo....at the end of all that, is the supposed process as outlined in CAPM 39-1 defunct? Is it no longer possible to get an MCSS catalog sent to a unit (perhaps electronically, if not in print?), or to gain individual access by calling some magic telephone number and then ordering over the phone? Has all that gone away with the advent of shopmyexchange.com?

As a veteran who has some sense of AAFES, my commander has tasked me with getting to the bottom of this and getting our unit access to uniforms ASAP.

Thanks for any insights anyone has on how to proceed here!

I hope your commander is aware this is well above yours or his paygrade.  There are work arounds availible.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

QuoteWhat workarounds?

Find an Active Duty Service Member, Reservist, National Guardsman or Military Retiree that has access to AAFES, give him a list of your needs (and cash) and have him/her either in person, or online, purchase the requested items.

Not ideal, but most Military Members I know would happily help out a CAP unit/member if asked.

The only issue, ABUs are soon to unavailable (ACUS too) and the only field uniforms that you be able to get from AAFES will be OCP pattern.

And before you have to ask, any CAP unit/member in the Greater Chicagoland area that would like to ask me for help, send me a PM, and I will assist you as best I am able.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PhotogPilot

Quote from: Pylon on May 23, 2012, 01:36:58 PM
Quote from: Levilockling on May 23, 2012, 12:36:00 AM
Haha thanks. Do you happen to know how to specify a LS with french cuffs? Is that a separate number entirely?

If I recall correctly, the shirts are "dual purposed" for french and barrel cuffs.  In other words, I've never seen the shirt with just true french cuffs, but rather they have barrell cuffs (without the "fold back") that also have holes stitched for cuff links which you can use in lieu of the standard buttons which are also there.

Yep, i bought a DLATS 1550 SS and LS at McConnell AFB on Tuesday. The LS can be button or cuff link closed. And you are also correct, they are not true French cuffs, but are, in fact, barrel cuffs.

Also, FYI, I bought a pair of Trousers, shade 1625 (100%) polyester. According to The MCSS manger, there is currently a nation wide shortage of Shade 1620 trousers, in all sizes. She said they have a policy letter from the AF that, for the time being, shade 1625 trousers CAN be worn with the 1620 coat. Not sure how that affects us, (I don't currently own a Service Coat anyway, since I'm newly below max gross takeoff weight). It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

N6RVT

Quote from: PhotogPilot on January 16, 2020, 06:31:50 PM
[Also, FYI, I bought a pair of Trousers, shade 1625 (100%) polyester. According to The MCSS manger, there is currently a nation wide shortage of Shade 1620 trousers, in all sizes. She said they have a policy letter from the AF that, for the time being, shade 1625 trousers CAN be worn with the 1620 coat. Not sure how that affects us, (I don't currently own a Service Coat anyway, since I'm newly below max gross takeoff weight). It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

At El Segundo they had 1620's, but not only had very few 1625 they told me they were being discontinued.  But El Segundo doesn't follow any air base rules - like actually having a runway, so who knows.

PHall

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on January 16, 2020, 11:41:24 PM
Quote from: PhotogPilot on January 16, 2020, 06:31:50 PM
[Also, FYI, I bought a pair of Trousers, shade 1625 (100%) polyester. According to The MCSS manger, there is currently a nation wide shortage of Shade 1620 trousers, in all sizes. She said they have a policy letter from the AF that, for the time being, shade 1625 trousers CAN be worn with the 1620 coat. Not sure how that affects us, (I don't currently own a Service Coat anyway, since I'm newly below max gross takeoff weight). It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

At El Segundo they had 1620's, but not only had very few 1625 they told me they were being discontinued.  But El Segundo doesn't follow any air base rules - like actually having a runway, so who knows.
Los Angeles AFB's mission isn't to fly airplanes which is why don't don't have a runway. They're a procurement base. These are the guys who buy stuff like satellites and rockets for the Air Force. Take a look around the neighborhood. You see companies like Boeing, SpaceX, The Aerospace Company, Northrop.
Heck, they weren't even a full fledged Air Force Base until about 1980 or so. They were an Air Force Station before that.