Main Menu

Aircrew Patches

Started by vesryn, October 20, 2016, 12:40:25 AM

vesryn

So I just turned 18 (yay) and will be attending a TRAEX in the middle of November to obtain my Mission Scanner rating.

I notice that there is no Mission Scanner insignia for the flight suit, but I do notice that there is the Aircrew option to purchase.

Is this acceptable wear for a Mission Scanner? Googling and searching this forum has come up with nothing.
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Luis R. Ramos

Better than googling this site for that info would have been to read the appropriate regulation.

Get CAPR 35-6, Operations Ratings, Awards and Badges...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Trenzalorian on October 20, 2016, 12:40:25 AM
n/a

Nuking your post is a big no-no around here. If you want the post removed, have a Mod do it.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

The Basic Aircrew is authorized, and is required.  If you have wings, you must wear them.

Angus

To add in while yes, it's best to look it up in the Regs, since you are just starting your training you don't yet qualify to wear the AC wings.  Once you've been signed off and approved then you'll be able to wear the badge. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Spam

Suggestion, Trenzalorian:

Purchase the leather name patch with applicable wings for your flight suit.
Carefully cut and emplace a strip of black electrical tape over the wings/device.
Ensure that your name and grade show.
Poof - done.

Then, when you earn the 101 rating, DON'T TAKE THE TAPE OFF YET...
Make sure that your Commander goes into eServices Ops Quals and clicks award of your wings.
THEN, rip that tape off and have your CO present the wings in a ceremony in front of the troops.

The CAPF 101 ES rating is not the decoration.
The rating can expire.
The decoration (wings) stay with you like luggage!

Best,
Spam

JC004

Quote from: Spam on October 20, 2016, 10:04:26 PM

Best,
Spam

stay like luggage?  Don't fly commercial much? 

They stay with you for all time.  For all time. 

Spam

Quote from: JC004 on October 20, 2016, 10:32:17 PM

Best,
Spam

I have fugly luggage. No one wants that stuff.
Man, I try and try to get it lost and claim it, but no takers.

Cheers,
Spam

RogueLeader

Quote from: Spam on October 20, 2016, 10:39:57 PM

Best,
Spam

Cheers,
Spam

Not quite. Mission Scanner is an ES Specialty. Aircrew is a rating. Specialties expire, but ratings do not. Ratings can be revoked for cause though.   See CAPR 35-6 fir further details.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spam

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 20, 2016, 11:05:26 PM
Quote from: Spam on October 20, 2016, 10:39:57 PM

Best,
Spam

Cheers,
Spam

Not quite. Mission Scanner is an ES Specialty. Aircrew is a rating. Specialties expire, but ratings do not. Ratings can be revoked for cause though.   See CAPR 35-6 fir further details.

You're correct - thanks - tired tonight...

vesryn

Quote from: PHall on October 20, 2016, 01:13:25 AM
Quote from: Trenzalorian on October 20, 2016, 12:40:25 AM
n/a

Nuking your post is a big no-no around here. If you want the post removed, have a Mod do it.

My bad, haven't been around long enough to really know the ropes.

Suggestion, Trenzalorian:

Purchase the leather name patch with applicable wings for your flight suit.
Carefully cut and emplace a strip of black electrical tape over the wings/device.
Ensure that your name and grade show.
Poof - done.

Then, when you earn the 101 rating, DON'T TAKE THE TAPE OFF YET...
Make sure that your Commander goes into eServices Ops Quals and clicks award of your wings.
THEN, rip that tape off and have your CO present the wings in a ceremony in front of the troops.

The CAPF 101 ES rating is not the decoration.
The rating can expire.

Best,
Spam

Thanks a lot, Spam!
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Spam

You bet, pal.

Keep pushing towards your rating. I turned senior member myself at age 18 precisely to fly operationally; you have the option now to do so and remain a cadet (keep pushing on that, too).

"Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night".

V/r
Spam

Spam

Further thoughts (general):

So, there I was, teaching one sunny morning at USN Test Pilot School, and I noticed a guy I knew (from the Flight Deck bar) sitting in the fourth row of my class, with odd looking wings on his flight suit. (The US Navy takes a few flight test engineers in each class who are not pilots).

Said I, "why, they ain't Navy, USAF, Army nor allied wings - they look like CAP wings... I didn't know Gerard was in CAP!" (being the CC of the CAP unit on base at the time, MD089 St. Marys Comp Sqdn.).

Said I at the break, "hey dude - neat wings. Are you a CAP mission pilot" to which I got an embarrassed look and a confession that he had dropped out of CAP years ago and didn't want to be the only guy in the TPS class without a cool "wings" patch.  BUZZZZZZZ - wrong answer - don't wear ANY wings you haven't earned!!! Ever!!!

Long story short: his fellow USNTPS students bought him a set of "Bush Pilot" wings (look it up on your own) as a joke. (Note: not necessarily endorsed by CAP, Spam, nor major league baseball - but the lesson learned is that mob justice and humor can be funny but harsh!)

Soooo.... don't wear 'em until you've been awarded them!   ;D

V/r
Spam

PHall

Quote from: Spam on October 23, 2016, 01:37:11 AM
Further thoughts (general):

So, there I was, teaching one sunny morning at USN Test Pilot School, and I noticed a guy I knew (from the Flight Deck bar) sitting in the fourth row of my class, with odd looking wings on his flight suit. (The US Navy takes a few flight test engineers in each class who are not pilots).

Said I, "why, they ain't Navy, USAF, Army nor allied wings - they look like CAP wings... I didn't know Gerard was in CAP!" (being the CC of the CAP unit on base at the time, MD089 St. Marys Comp Sqdn.).

Said I at the break, "hey dude - neat wings. Are you a CAP mission pilot" to which I got an embarrassed look and a confession that he had dropped out of CAP years ago and didn't want to be the only guy in the TPS class without a cool "wings" patch.  BUZZZZZZZ - wrong answer - don't wear ANY wings you haven't earned!!! Ever!!!

Long story short: his fellow USNTPS students bought him a set of "Bush Pilot" wings (look it up on your own) as a joke. (Note: not necessarily endorsed by CAP, Spam, nor major league baseball - but the lesson learned is that mob justice and humor can be funny but harsh!)

Soooo.... don't wear 'em until you've been awarded them!   ;D

V/r
Spam

Yeah, I bet that "party foul" cost him a bunch of rounds at the bar!  And he's probably darn lucky nobody called his home unit too!

SarDragon

What did his call sign turn out to be?  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spam

Sorry, don't recall. I ended up with "Spam" because I'm six four, and fit a small cockpit like "spam in a can" - meat wall to wall.

I think the "bush pilot wings" were humiliation enough, because if challenged you had to tell the story.

One of the other guys ended up with "Dozer" because he'd stayed up all night studying calculus refreshers to pass, and dozed off in class (where everyone got up quietly and walked out - he woke up in the middle of the next class).

V/r
Spam

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on October 23, 2016, 03:47:14 AM
What did his call sign turn out to be?  >:D

Nice thing about being an Enlisted Flyer in the Air Force, we don't have no stinkin' personal call signs.
Being a Flight Engineer if somebody wanted to talk to me I would almost always heard "Hey Eng".
Usually right after the Master Caution light came on. ::)

MICT1362

So, a little further discussion on this topic.  I have read 35-6 and did not see this address specifically.  It very well could be implied, but I would like others interpretation/input. 

If a member earned the Mission Scanner rating prior to the creation of the Air Crew wings, however, are not a current MS, would they still be eligible/required to wear those wings?  I.E. is this a retro-active award?

RogueLeader

Quote from: MICT1362 on October 23, 2016, 10:09:02 PM
So, a little further discussion on this topic.  I have read 35-6 and did not see this address specifically.  It very well could be implied, but I would like others interpretation/input. 

If a member earned the Mission Scanner rating prior to the creation of the Air Crew wings, however, are not a current MS, would they still be eligible/required to wear those wings?  I.E. is this a retro-active award?

My opinion, as a Wing Assistant  Director of ES, is that yes, you are eligible for the aircrew rating. You would need to provide documentation of the qualification though, if not showing in E-Services.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340