Main Menu

New BoG Member

Started by RiverAux, August 13, 2007, 10:20:55 PM

RiverAux

From CAP News Online today:
QuoteNEC elects Col. John Tilton to serve on Board of Governors

Tilton currently serves as CAP national safety officer
August 13, 2007

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS – Members of the U.S. Civil Air Patrol National Executive Committee recently elected CAP National Safety Officer Col. John E. Tilton as a member-at-large on the organization's CAP Board of Governors.   

Tilton, who currently serves as the national safety officer, will serve in one of the board's two four-year, at-large positions starting on Aug. 24.

"The opportunity to work with the Civil Air Patrol's governing board members to assure the U.S. Civil Air Patrol remains one of America's premier all-volunteer humanitarian organizations is a true honor for me," said Tilton.

Tilton, who resides in Moody, Ala., joined CAP in 1999 and initially served at the squadron level as a safety officer, flight instructor and check pilot. Later, as a member of the Alabama Wing, he served as a maintenance officer, operations officer, vice commander and commander. Prior to being appointed as CAP's national safety officer, he served as commander of the Southeast Region, which has more than 10,000 members, 100 aircraft and over 130 vehicles operating in the Southeastern U.S. and Puerto Rico. 

Tilton is a retired U.S. Army aviator with a background in flight operations and management in both military and corporate aviation. He has operated and commanded combat, medical and transport aircraft units. He is also a certified flight instructor and instrument instructor in airplanes and helicopters and a certified airframe and power plant mechanic. 

Tilton's military decorations include the Bronze Star, the Air Medal and the Meritorious Service Medal. His Civil Air Patrol awards include the CAP Meritorious Service Medal, the Exceptional Service Award and the Master Level Safety Badge. 

The 11-member Board of Governors is the governing body of Civil Air Patrol. The at-large positions on the board account for two of the four positions occupied by CAP members, with the other two positions occupied by the national commander and national vice commander. Of the remaining seven members, four are appointed by the secretary of the Air Force and the other three are appointed jointly by the secretary of the Air Force and the national commander.

Now, I don't know Col. Tilton and never heard of him until now, but for a man that has only been in CAP he has gone pretty far in less than 8 years.  In this time period he has served as:
AL Wing Maintenance Officer
AL Wing Operations Officer
AL Wing Vice Commander
AL Wing Commander
Southeast Region Commander
National Safety Officer

He may be a heck of a guy, but there is no way he spent any significant time in any of these positions in 8 years.  Even the best CAP officer ever should be a little more familiar with the organization before holding most of these positions and after 7.5 years should only now be looking at Wing Vice Commander in my opinion. 

Please, please no conspiracy theory replies - you know what I mean!

Ricochet13

Quote from: RiverAux on August 13, 2007, 10:20:55 PM
From CAP News Online today:
QuoteNEC elects Col. John Tilton to serve on Board of Governors

Tilton currently serves as CAP national safety officer
August 13, 2007

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS – Members of the U.S. Civil Air Patrol National Executive Committee recently elected CAP National Safety Officer Col. John E. Tilton as a member-at-large on the organization's CAP Board of Governors.   

Tilton, who currently serves as the national safety officer, will serve in one of the board's two four-year, at-large positions starting on Aug. 24.

"The opportunity to work with the Civil Air Patrol's governing board members to assure the U.S. Civil Air Patrol remains one of America's premier all-volunteer humanitarian organizations is a true honor for me," said Tilton.

Tilton, who resides in Moody, Ala., joined CAP in 1999 and initially served at the squadron level as a safety officer, flight instructor and check pilot. Later, as a member of the Alabama Wing, he served as a maintenance officer, operations officer, vice commander and commander. Prior to being appointed as CAP's national safety officer, he served as commander of the Southeast Region, which has more than 10,000 members, 100 aircraft and over 130 vehicles operating in the Southeastern U.S. and Puerto Rico. 

Tilton is a retired U.S. Army aviator with a background in flight operations and management in both military and corporate aviation. He has operated and commanded combat, medical and transport aircraft units. He is also a certified flight instructor and instrument instructor in airplanes and helicopters and a certified airframe and power plant mechanic. 

Tilton's military decorations include the Bronze Star, the Air Medal and the Meritorious Service Medal. His Civil Air Patrol awards include the CAP Meritorious Service Medal, the Exceptional Service Award and the Master Level Safety Badge. 

The 11-member Board of Governors is the governing body of Civil Air Patrol. The at-large positions on the board account for two of the four positions occupied by CAP members, with the other two positions occupied by the national commander and national vice commander. Of the remaining seven members, four are appointed by the secretary of the Air Force and the other three are appointed jointly by the secretary of the Air Force and the national commander.

Now, I don't know Col. Tilton and never heard of him until now, but for a man that has only been in CAP he has gone pretty far in less than 8 years.  In this time period he has served as:
AL Wing Maintenance Officer
AL Wing Operations Officer
AL Wing Vice Commander
AL Wing Commander
Southeast Region Commander
National Safety Officer

He may be a heck of a guy, but there is no way he spent any significant time in any of these positions in 8 years.  Even the best CAP officer ever should be a little more familiar with the organization before holding most of these positions and after 7.5 years should only now be looking at Wing Vice Commander in my opinion. 

Please, please no conspiracy theory replies - you know what I mean!

I would imagine that his military/corporate background must look pretty good and have a direct connection to his progression in CAP.  A real conscientious person can learn a lot in 8 years, especially if they are motivated.  If he can help 1) get the mission done, and 2) knows how to represent the membership of CAP, I'll reserve judgment and say congratulations COL. 

Skyray

I want to thank you John for a pleasant visit with my memories.  Let me say I agree with you explicitly, and if 1999 is not a mistake, there is no way he could have done all those jobs justice.  The thing that confused me was SER CC.  I have know most of them since Bill Tallent, and Tilton's name did not ring a bell.  So I went over to the SER web site and had a good old time looking at old friends.  Anyway, the job has occasionally developed the characteristics of a game of musical chairs, and maybe he went through so fast I didn't notice.  I did notice that they haven't added the new VC, Joe Martin, to the web site yet.  I also noticed that they have an Earthquake Officer, but no Hurricane Officer.  No excuse for that with Florida, Alabama and Georgia in the region.  I think the last earthquake in SER is the one that formed Kentucky Lake.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

RiverAux

He was listed as AL Wing Commander in the 2003, 2004, and 2005 annual reports so he came close or completed a full term as a Wing Commander, which is fine to move up from there. 

But, that also means he joined CAP and was Wing Commander in 4 years or less after only having staff jobs at squadron and Wing level.   I don't care how good you are, that just isn't appropriate. 

Skyray

Was he region commander before or after Sharkey?
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

RiverAux

The 2006 annual report didn't list him at all so he must not have been there but a short period of time before moving up to NHQ.