NEC Meeting, Membership Decline

Started by abysmal, May 25, 2005, 12:52:48 AM

abysmal

COPIED FROM
http://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/2005/05/from_the_recent.html#more

The National Executive Committee met recently (13 & 14 May) in Cincinnati, OH.  

Out of this, a few nuggets have emerged from the minutes that I thought were interesting and informative about the inner workings of Civil Air Patrol and our national governance structure.  Its sometimes difficult for our newer members to understand how our organization is organized and run at the echelons above reality.

(Note: these are not the official minutes, but gleaned from notes taken during the meeting. There was more, but these are some of the more interesting points...)

Membership

"Membership continues to decline.   
In the last year we have lost 6.2% of the membership.   
As of the end of April, strength was 34,114 seniors and 23,717 cadets."

[...]

"Membership is projected to decline about 7% in FY 2006 if the current trend continues."

:: What? 
A 7% percent hit in our membership?? (well, 13% if you count this year so far and next year's projected loss)   
What in tarnation is National Headquarters doing about this?
Please don't tell me we're sitting on our hands over this!

More importantly, what are we, as the rank-and-file membership, doing to help this? 
The maximum effective range of recruiting (and retention, too) is ZERO meters.
In other words, it takes face-to-face interaction and a committed member base to expand the membership, and all this happens down where the rubber meets the road, at the local unit level. 
All the echelons above reality can do is support that mission.
They cannot do that mission.   
To paraphrase Smokey the Bear: "Only you can recruit new members.."

Another thought: Is this a true membership decline, or are we finally facing the end of the "post-9/11 bubble" and the membership numbers are experiencing a "correction" of sorts?

Either way, we need to fix this. Pronto!
National can only do so much in this instance.
Its up to all of us to make our little corner of the auxiliary the best it possibly can be, and live up to the core value "Excellence in all we do!" so folks will see how good & cool CAP is and join up!

2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

arajca

I think it is partially a result of improper marketing. CAP made a whole bunch of hype about us doing HLS functions, but when it came down to it, the only members involved - and only a few of them - were aircrews. For some reason, the command levels - mostly pilots - overlooked the fact that we need to engage our non-pilot, non-flying members. And, it seems to me, these are the members that are leaving.

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on May 25, 2005, 01:15:02 AM
I think it is partially a result of improper marketing. CAP made a whole bunch of hype about us doing HLS functions, but when it came down to it, the only members involved - and only a few of them - were aircrews. For some reason, the command levels - mostly pilots - overlooked the fact that we need to engage our non-pilot, non-flying members. And, it seems to me, these are the members that are leaving.

He mentions a "Bubble" appearing after 9/11

Do you have any idea what the membership numbers were for 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
Something to compare against???

Major_Chuck

I have long said that we (CAP) made a huge mistake by sitting and waiting for the Air Force to come to us.  Granted they like most of the Federal Government literally had to rethink how to fight the terrorist threat but we (again the collective CAP) should have been going after state and local agencies.

We sold our members on our HLS capabilities but didn't sell it to those outside of CAP until too late in the game.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

SarDragon

Here's an even better idea - retain the folks we do manage to recruit. Typically, if we could retain half of the folks that leave every year, our membership numbers would increase every year instead of decrease. Our recruiting is doing fine; it's the retention that needs work.

From statistics a couple of years old, 50% of our cadets have been in CAP less than a year. With retention like that, the organization will never grow.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abysmal

Quote from: SarDragon on May 25, 2005, 05:26:35 PM
From statistics a couple of years old, 50% of our cadets have been in CAP less than a year.

Is it really that bad?

elkorona

Quote from: abysmal on May 25, 2005, 06:19:31 PM
From statistics a couple of years old, 50% of our cadets have been in CAP less than a year.

Is it really that bad?

I forget the numbers but it was noted by a BOG member to the NCAC last year that we need to get cracking on that kind of thing.  The numbers are just too high.
Lt Col Elliott Korona, CAP
Deputy Director, Civic Leadership Academy

SarDragon

Is it really that bad?
Yes, and that was a repeat comment from prior years. I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed appreciably in the last two years.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abysmal

Has anyone taken a good hard look at why we have such a high attrition rate in new Cadets.???

What is it that they are looking for and not finding??

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal
What is it that they are looking for and not finding??

Active units?   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

ncc1912

Is it really that bad?

Yes... In some places it is worse.  However, in my own rather extensive analysis of the numbers it is safe to say that at your next meeting; if you look around, more than half of the cadets and almost 20% of the senior members won't be members 12 months from now.

Moreover, kudos to CAP for recruiting!  We almost completely make up that loss every year, but as you can see, it isn't getting us anywhere.

One more note:  Don't confuse a decline in growth with a decrease in retention.  It isn't always the same thing.  For instance, if we miraculously increased retention today to 60% we would only stand to see around a 5% increase in growth next year IF our recruiting doesn't decline.

Sorry to throw all these numbers at you, but I think it is important to draw conclusions and make decision on thorough information.  ;)
//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea

arajca

Having just completed a training course in recognition of employees, I found a couple things to be real eye openers.

First, Gen Y'ers need recognition for doing what is expected of them, not for exceeding expectations. And it is needed almost immediately. Also, Gen Y'ers are the most scheduled generation to date. Almost from birth, they have had all their activities and days scheduled. They are also the most capable at multitasking.

Second, CAP's program is based on the Silent/Greatest/WWII Generation and Baby Boomers needs. Those are far different from Gen X and Gen Y needs.

Third, the prevelant Gen X attitude is "Tell me what to and leave me to it." Don't micromanage them.

When designing reward/award/promotion programs, CAP needs to take the generational differences into account. What works well for one generation may not work as well for another and may be a disincentive for a third.

SKYKING607

Recruiting

After a 10 year absence from CAP, I elected to attend a meeting of a local senior squadron located near where I lived.  Within minutes I was greeted with a friendly hello handshake and that's about it for the balance of the night.

On the second and third night...nothing.  Everyone was doing staff work and no one approached me or the five other male adults (all pilots) that were there to see whazzzzup.

I ended up returning to Wing Staff.

Assigning a "tenured" member to mentor a "newbie" would be innovative and an important part to make the new member feel welcome.  Have membership infor-mation packets to distribute to new members would be nice.

Cadet/Composite units should have announcements to local Jr High/Intermediate and High schools of an "open house" at their local unit.  Make special attempts to contact school counselors and science teachers. 

Senior squadrons should consider open houses too.  Advertise in local paper, airport pilot's lounges, etc.

Retention

Recognize membership accordingly!  Red Service Ribbon ceremonies....Cadet achievement ceremonies...etc.  How 'bout a "dining out" as a unit somewhere?

Periodic surveys of 201 files to see who qualifies for what awards.  Who needs to go to CLC or SLS?  Who needs training?

Someone absent from the unit in a while?  Call 'em and get 'em involved again.

Activities

Activity levels vary so greatly  from unit to unit it's scary!  Some routinely get USAF O-rides and base visits.  Lots do not.  Cadets regularly receive O-rides and others only dream about it.  Whazzzzup w/dat guys?

Let's get the FUN back in the organization!
CAWG Career Captain

mikeylikey

I am sure it only accounts for a small percentage, but on the Fed Governments websites for volunteering, I have never seen CAP, but I do see Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and the Coast Guard Aux.  Perhaps this oversight could be corrected, and the organization as a whole would see an increase in prospective members. 
  On a separate note, I attended a meeting on the School Initiative program, and from the look of things the future of the cadet program may be in the schools.  CAP is able to get into the schools under the intention of Aerospace and Leadership education.  They have developed totally different and new approaches because of educational guidelines.  If the organization continues as it is, it was estimated by the Florida wing that by 2015 nearly 70 percent of all cadets will be in a school squadron. 
  I do not think we are having retention problems, I believe the organization and program, both cadet and senior, is in the process of change.  Since 2001, the role of CAP has changed from primarily SAR to that of a force multiplier for federal and state agencies.  The members that provide the best input, knowledge and skills are staying while those members that for whatever reason, "slacked, failed to continue their CAP education, and did not actively particpate" will be the ones we see leave the organization. 

What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 16, 2006, 06:20:45 PM[redacted]  I do not think we are having retention problems, [redacted]

If losing 50% of our new members every year isn't a retention problem, then what is? Discuss.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikeylikey

Does anyone remember the membership survey that was sent out to every member about 3 or 4 years ago by some college guy doing a thesis?  I would sure like to get my hands on his results! 

If we are truly loosing 50 percent of new membership each year, the following years new members would surely make up that 50 percent lost the previous year.  We would need to increase recruiting to overcome that 50 percent automatic loss.
  But I am no genius, and stats class was a few years ago.
What's up monkeys?

shorning

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 16, 2006, 08:39:06 PM
Does anyone remember the membership survey that was sent out to every member about 3 or 4 years ago by some college guy doing a thesis? 

It didn't go out to everyone.  I never got it.  Perhaps it was a random sampling of members.  Perhaps it was just one wing.  But it wasn't everyone.

Although, it would be interesting to see his research...

ncc1912

Quote from: SarDragon on May 16, 2006, 06:55:47 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on May 16, 2006, 06:20:45 PM[redacted]  I do not think we are having retention problems, [redacted]

If losing 50% of our new members every year isn't a retention problem, then what is? Discuss.

I am not exactly sure where the "50% of our new members" is coming from.  Please site your source on that one.

But to speak on the numbers I have researched in my region alone, we loose roughly 50-60% of cadets and 15-18% of senior memebers every year.  There is no way of isolating whether those are new or "seasoned" members, just people who did not renew.  As far as the cadets are concened, I am more likely to believe they are the newest cadet members who are not renewing.

I can assume with a significant amount of certainty that these numbers aren't far off the national average.  In fact, I'd bet that they may be a little better than the national average.

As far as recruiting; I don't think that CAP has the capability at present to increase recruiting enough to show a gain in total membership over these losses.  We would have to increase recruiting by at least 45% to show a measurable increase.
//SIGNED//
"Dislocated Member"
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea

mikeylikey

I agree that recruiting would have to significantly increase.  Was it 2003 or 2002 that they put up those CAP billboards in every state.  I remember that they claimed it would drastically increase membership numbers, if I remember correctly, numbers actually fell during that FY.  Anyway, I will leave it up to the paid geniuses at NHQ to develop a new recruiting campaign for all of us to try.  I am sure they must know something that every unit is missing when it comes to recruiting.
What's up monkeys?

ncc1912

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 17, 2006, 12:04:55 AM
I am sure they must know something that every unit is missing when it comes to recruiting.

Leadership?
//SIGNED//
"Dislocated Member"
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea

SarDragon

Quote from: ncc1912 on May 16, 2006, 11:51:26 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 16, 2006, 06:55:47 PM

I am not exactly sure where the "50% of our new members" is coming from.  Please site your source on that one.

But to speak on the numbers I have researched in my region alone, we loose roughly 50-60% of cadets and 15-18% of senior memebers every year.  There is no way of isolating whether those are new or "seasoned" members, just people who did not renew.  As far as the cadets are concened, I am more likely to believe they are the newest cadet members who are not renewing.

I can assume with a significant amount of certainty that these numbers aren't far off the national average.  In fact, I'd bet that they may be a little better than the national average.

As far as recruiting; I don't think that CAP has the capability at present to increase recruiting enough to show a gain in total membership over these losses.  We would have to increase recruiting by at least 45% to show a measurable increase.

As stated previously, these statistics were given out at various wing conferences. Specific statistics from NHQ used to be available online, but I can't find them any more. The retention numbers were given for CAP overall, and for first-year retention. The 50% may have been just the cadet side, but I can't get at the figures.

If we can retain half of the members that don't renew at the end of their first, CAP would show a growth every year. I'm not too concerned about specific percentages, but just getting the annual change on the plus side.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

Does anyone know why we haven't gotten the AOPA as a corporate partner?  We have EAA and a couple of other pilot organizations as partners.  This seems like something that should be addressed by national.  After all, it is the largest group of pilots in the the US, and is also fertile recruiting ground.  They have similar goals as far as safety etc., and provide many good aviation resources for their members.  It's also one of the first groups new pilots and those who are interested in aviation join.  A link from their website to ours and a mention in their magazines could go a long way towards the recruiting goals.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787