Corporate uniforms and customs and courtesies

Started by citizensoldier, September 22, 2008, 01:49:54 AM

DC

Quote from: NCO forever on September 22, 2008, 08:53:18 PM
Thanks, CAP needs a acronym of the day calender.
There are all kinds of acronym lists, both CAP specific, and general military, all over the internet. Google is your friend.

JoeTomasone

You don't render the C&C based on what uniform a member is wearing.  You render C&C based on your ability to determine that the individual in question is recognizable as someone superior to you whom you are required to render said C&C to. 

If you see a member in the Golf Shirt uniform and don't know who he is or what grade, you are not required to render C&C. 

If you see a member in the Golf Shirt Uniform and realize that the member is superior to you (however that comes to pass), then you render C&C. 

This has nothing to do with the uniform.   If you see the grade or know the grade (or the office), you render whatever is due to that grade/office.   The golf uniform makes that difficult (since there is no grade displayed) but not impossible since you might know who it is or be told.  Spacing - MIKE

PHall

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 22, 2008, 04:24:44 AM
On golf shirts I wish only the personalize one was authorized, it makes working with people happen "faster" to be able to see their name and grade.

Well, the personalized shirt don't have your grade on them, just your name and wings/badge.

And being the cheap sucker I am, my golf shirt is not personalized.

If we're at an activity and you need to know my name you find it out the old fashioned way.

Ask...

CAP Producer

Quote from: JoeTomasone on September 23, 2008, 02:01:27 AM
The golf uniform makes that difficult (since there is no grade displayed) but not impossible since you might know who it is or be told.

Not for me.  I try to greet people by saying Good Morning Sir/Maam (with a smile) no matter their grade. Sure helps when I am dealing with 60+ year old Lt in the golf shirt or the C/Lt Col in full blingage.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: PHall on September 23, 2008, 02:08:41 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 22, 2008, 04:24:44 AM
On golf shirts I wish only the personalize one was authorized, it makes working with people happen "faster" to be able to see their name and grade.

Well, the personalized shirt don't have your grade on them, just your name and wings/badge.

And being the cheap sucker I am, my golf shirt is not personalized.

If we're at an activity and you need to know my name you find it out the old fashioned way.

Ask...

Hardie-har-har!!!  I think it is a courtesy in itself to make yourself identifiable to your fellows, most people will know you by reputation already (unless you are doing WING to WING...Fibber McGee and Molly's themesong ;D).  At least when wearing BDUs or Blues (or Corp equivs) people will know you you are and make quick name recognition.  I had thought this allowed a person to learn one's name faster.

I sometimes get mixed signal from you guys.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

citizensoldier

All of this is probably going to serve to keep me in BDUs or AF blues as appropriate. 
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

Lloyd Bumanglag Capt,CAP

I am in a Senior Squadron, and we have all different ranks Capt's, Lt.Col's etc.. I don't believe we need to salute everyone. I understand that if you are reporting to the Commander in his office, and you are in uniform, you would render the appropriate motion on entering his officer and snapping a salute......am I correct?

Lloyd Bumanglag, CAPT, CAP
Public Affairs Officer (PAO)
Long Beach Squadron 150
Los Alamitos, California

davidsinn

Quote from: LBCAP150 on September 23, 2008, 07:30:08 PM
I am in a Senior Squadron, and we have all different ranks Capt's, Lt.Col's etc.. I don't believe we need to salute everyone. I understand that if you are reporting to the Commander in his office, and you are in uniform, you would render the appropriate motion on entering his officer and snapping a salute......am I correct?

Yes and if you encounter them outside you salute all superior officers all the time.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

No.  You need to salute everyone who is superior to you in grade.  If you're a SMWOG, or have chosen to wear your
NCO stripes from another service instead of accepting CAP grade, that's everyone.

And if they give you any guff about "this ain't the military" make a point to salute them every time.

The unit designation doesn't relieve courtesies and cause issues when the GOB's try and participate outside the hanger.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: davidsinn on September 23, 2008, 07:31:01 PM

Yes and if you encounter them outside you salute all superior officers all the time.

To clarify I was referring to the bold section. I my line about outside was trying to say the same as Eclipse.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MSgt Van

I find that many don't know how to react when they are on the receiving end of a salute.  I've coached many a sr member on the what-how-why's of the salute.  In my opinion, it is incredibly rude to not return a salute and start talking to the "saluter" as if their hand is normally stuck to the brim of their hat.  It's like they've never seen it done in the movies or something. As pointed out, I salute darn near everyone. 

ricecakecm

Quote from: CAP Producer on September 23, 2008, 02:18:30 AM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on September 23, 2008, 02:01:27 AM
The golf uniform makes that difficult (since there is no grade displayed) but not impossible since you might know who it is or be told.

Not for me.  I try to greet people by saying Good Morning Sir/Maam (with a smile) no matter their grade. Sure helps when I am dealing with 60+ year old Lt in the golf shirt or the C/Lt Col in full blingage.

I prefer the "Hey Dude!" approach.  :)  But then again, no one's ever accused me of being overly formal in CAP.

BuckeyeDEJ

"HEY, DUDE!"

Not too much different from "Hey, you in the blue!" (Of course, that gets harder when you start seeing gray and green.)

If you don't wear your grade, don't expect the courtesy. We can't read your ID in your wallet, nor should we in order to decipher your status.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

stratoflyer

I've seen that it don't matter what seniors wear. They usually tend to be very slack and not adhere to any customs and/or courtesies.

Last time I was in the middle of a gaggle of seniors standing outside, some were wearing their covers, some weren't. Nobody seemed to mind and kept sipping coffee and munching donuts. True for the AF wearers as well as the CSU folks.

I felt the cadet within cringe.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on September 24, 2008, 02:58:58 AM
"HEY, DUDE!"

Not too much different from "Hey, you in the blue!" (Of course, that gets harder when you start seeing gray and green.)

If you don't wear your grade, don't expect the courtesy. We can't read your ID in your wallet, nor should we in order to decipher your status.

My philosophy - no hat, no salute; no rank visible, no salute. Singular exception - the unit commander always gets one.

YMMV. *Batteries not included.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: SarDragon on September 25, 2008, 06:24:12 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on September 24, 2008, 02:58:58 AM
"HEY, DUDE!"

My philosophy - no hat, no salute; no rank visible, no salute. Singular exception - the unit commander always gets one.

Not if I outrank the unit commander, whether he's in a golf shirt or in the Air Force uniforms. The salute goes with grade, not position. (To be fair: I have lieutenant colonels under my command, and I salute them.)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

citizensoldier

Quote from: MSgt Van on September 23, 2008, 08:12:12 PM
I find that many don't know how to react when they are on the receiving end of a salute.  I've coached many a sr member on the what-how-why's of the salute.  In my opinion, it is incredibly rude to not return a salute and start talking to the "saluter" as if their hand is normally stuck to the brim of their hat.  It's like they've never seen it done in the movies or something. As pointed out, I salute darn near everyone. 

To my mind not returning a salute like not shaking hands when one is offered. It just violates the social contract.
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

notaNCO forever

I hate it when people don't salute back. I always try to salute back when someone walks by.

PaulR

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 22, 2008, 02:03:18 AM
As far as I'm concerned, we salute the individual and not so much the uniform (I mean that in I respect the person and the uniform).  As a form of respect for our fellows.

I definitely understand where you are coming from... but it is the other way around.  It is the rank is what is being saluted, NOT the individual.   This point was hit home when enlisted members at a past unit brought it this topic up to their Chief.  They had issues with rendering honors to an officer who they considered to be "inept officers"(BTW their assumption was correct... he was a real piece of crap).   The Chief rightfully snapped at them, saying the were to render the proper honors to the rank.  Not the individual. 

This is the reason officers out of uniform (and out of a decaled vehicle) are not saluted. 

billford1

The information I have is that whatever uniform a senior member is in if he is saluted the salute must be returned. If you're unaware that's understandable. It's important to anticipate that you may be saluted. It will look really bad if the salute is not returned promptly. Cadets are subject to Military Customs and Courtesies. Senior members need to encourage Cadets to be enthusiastic about being in CAP by having a positive attitude and overall setting a good example. Cadets watch us closely.