NRA qualifications badge

Started by skeeter, June 06, 2012, 07:59:20 PM

skeeter

I have several thousand targets under my belt with the NRA because I'm on a shooting team. Can I go ahead and order the qual badge or do I need to have my targets approved first?

lordmonar

You can order the badge all you want.....you can't wear it.

The NRA badge listed in 39-1 does not exist anymore.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

+1 - not to mention that the badge that was approved required a specific qualification, not just a history or shooting.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

The "thousands of targets" Skeeter is talking about is NRA program that replaced the youth shooting.

You save your targets after the shoot.....as you move up in the program you have to show "x number of targets with 10 shots in 8 ring or better".

Not just "I've been shooting my whole life I think I get me a marksmans medal"

skeeter

I shoot on a shotgun team ie. clay targets. The targets I am talking about are all registered so I can go back in the history of competitions and have a record of my targets. I have competed in state competitions and even won them so I don't have "just a history of shooting", I have an actual record of targets. What I want to know is if I can get any kind medal for shooting with the NRA? And, where would I find the info about it..I've had a hard time finding it?

Eclipse

Understood, but that's not the way the CAP / NRA badges were awarded.

There are currently no approved cadet shooting / NRA medals for wear on the CAP uniform. 

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

At one time CAP had a "NRA"marksmenship badge. It's been obsolete for at least a decade.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

skeeter

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 06, 2012, 08:17:24 PM
At one time CAP had a "NRA"marksmenship badge. It's been obsolete for at least a decade.

Doesn't stop anyone from wearing them though. I constantly see them in the magazine, on Spaatz recipients, etc.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 06, 2012, 09:58:27 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on June 06, 2012, 08:17:24 PM

Doesn't stop anyone from wearing them though. I constantly see them in the magazine, on Spaatz recipients, etc.

IIRC, a unit near me still "issues" the surplus ones they've got, apparently...

Extremepredjudice

Chances are most cadets can't shoot in competitions (Obviously not true for skeeter). Competition shooting is way different than "shooting with dad" or whatever cadet snuffy wants to say to get a Marksmanship badge.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

lordmonar

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 07, 2012, 03:24:50 AM
Chances are most cadets can't shoot in competitions (Obviously not true for skeeter). Competition shooting is way different than "shooting with dad" or whatever cadet snuffy wants to say to get a Marksmanship badge.
Ahhhh  no....and the new NRA program does not require shooting in competition....it just requires that you show consistant/repetitive ability to shoot to a certain accuracy.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: lordmonar on June 07, 2012, 03:36:48 AM
Ahhhh  no....and the new NRA program does not require shooting in competition....it just requires that you show consistant/repetitive ability to shoot to a certain accuracy.
Well thats dumb. Competition shooting actually teaches you how to shoot.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 07, 2012, 03:41:48 AM

The "consistent/repetitive ability to shoot to a certain accuracy" is a byproduct of knowing how to shoot.

IMHO, target shooting has three components for success - gun safety, sight alignment, and trigger control. What else is there to knowing how to shoot, within that context, in your opinion?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Ah no.  Competition shooting sees how well you can apply all the fundamentals with added stress of adrenaline and time for accuracy.  If you do not know how to shoot competitions will do nothing for you, and most competitions you need to display a certain level of competence to enter. Having participated in competitions and plenty of time on the range they are different spectrums.

GroundHawg

Not to thread jack but to go slightly off subject, I dont wear my EIC Badges due to the amount of "you cant wear those" that would be inevitable. I do have a friend that might be joining that has earned EIC Badges from the USMC. The regs state that the USAF Dist Rifle and Pistol Badges may be worn, and silver, bronze and EIC badges. My opinion is that he would be within regs to wear USMC EIC badges as the regs do not specify branch specific. Can any one offer opposition and why?

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPM 39-1CAP members may wear only the US military badges authorized for wear
on the US Air Force uniform when earned through qualification and awarded by competent authority for
service performed in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or its allies. The military
badges authorized for wear on the CAP uniform and BDU are listed in Table 6-5. Before wearing any
badge not listed in this table, contact National Headquarters/LMM for clarification.

I don't see any provision in AFI36-2903 for wear of other service EIC badges, since the awarding authority for the authorized EIC badges is HQ AFSVA, and there is no mention of the gold level badges authorized by the other services.

The AF EIC badges are specifically mentioned in CAPM 39-1.

Admittedly, both regs are vague at best.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: SarDragon on June 07, 2012, 03:49:44 AM

The "consistent/repetitive ability to shoot to a certain accuracy" is a byproduct of knowing how to shoot.

IMHO, target shooting has three components for success - gun safety, sight alignment, and trigger control. What else is there to knowing how to shoot, within that context, in your opinion?
breathe and heart control. How to align your body so you have a stable platform.

Ideally all you should see is the end sight move slightly every few seconds (heart rate) and time your shot.

But that is for precision shooting (level above normal competitions). Precision air rifles are like 5,000 on up.

Competition shooting teaches you proper form. Any yahoo with half a mind can understand gun safety, trigger control, and to line up his target in the sight. You could get reasonably on target with some consistency without understanding how to stand, kneel, or lay prone. Or how to stop breathing, rather than hold your breathe.

It is about a stable shooting platform.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

abdsp51

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 07, 2012, 05:29:42 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 07, 2012, 03:49:44 AM

breathe and heart control. How to align your body so you have a stable platform.

Ideally all you should see is the end sight move slightly every few seconds (heart rate) and time your shot.

But that is for precision shooting (level above normal competitions). Precision air rifles are like 5,000 on up.

Competition shooting teaches you proper form. Any yahoo with half a mind can understand gun safety, trigger control, and to line up his target in the sight. You could get reasonably on target with some consistency without understanding how to stand, kneel, or lay prone. Or how to stop breathing, rather than hold your breathe.

It is about a stable shooting platform.

Heart rate has nothing to do with with accuracy what so ever.  Accuracy is based on breathing, sight picture and trigger squeeze that movement you see is related to breathing and involuntary muscle movements/muscle fatigue.  If you do not have a solid platform prior to competitions you will fail, competition does not teach proper form or platforms.  Competition shooting teaches if anything muscle memory and refinement not the basics. 

krnlpanick

2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP