The Best of Squadron Patches

Started by Pylon, January 09, 2006, 08:41:09 PM

MIKE

I wasn't figuring the Guard would have a monopoly on it... Heck, it's on the state quarter too.
Mike Johnston

alamrcn

Quote from: MIKE on February 26, 2007, 04:35:24 PM
Just something simple with the Minuteman.

This squadron had used a Minutemen likeness...

I believe they have since changed their patch however.

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Jolt

^^^ Actually, I think I still see that patch sometimes.

DNall

So nothing on Lt Col Pocher? What's up with that? Also, are you still required to wear your Wg patch, & if so do you think that'll last long term, and do you like that wing symbol on it at all?

MIKE

Quote from: DNall on February 26, 2007, 08:40:23 PM
So nothing on Lt Col Pocher? What's up with that?

He was a Group Commander who helped with the formation of the unit, and who died in an aircraft accident about the time the unit was chartered.
Mike Johnston

DNall

So is there anything referring to him & his life you'd like to include in honor of him, or don't worry about it?

MIKE

Quote from: DNall on February 26, 2007, 09:46:26 PM
So is there anything referring to him & his life you'd like to include in honor of him, or don't worry about it?

Not that I can think of... I don't know much of the story other than what I mentioned.  I would focus on the Minuteman as the key design element.
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Mike, how much detail would an image have to have to render correctly on a patch?

Maybe I, or another, could draw you a minuteman?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

well I'm playing with the base & scroll, but what I was thinking was the wing design from you wing patch overlayed on top of the minuteman/plow - which is why I ask if you're still wearing the wg patch now & think that's going to stick in the future, and if that design is popular or not. There's a miniuteman motto in latin, I have to look up again, I had it last night. I'll give you the semi-subdued look on color choices.

I got various minuteman designs already, thanks though.

MIKE

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 26, 2007, 10:00:12 PM
Mike, how much detail would an image have to have to render correctly on a patch?

I dunno... I was always using the ANG patch as a guide, this is also why I was keeping the elements on the patch to a minimum.  CAP patches tend to be too busy IMO.

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 26, 2007, 10:00:12 PM
Maybe I, or another, could draw you a minuteman?

You're welcome to... I know you can draw.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Quote from: DNall on February 26, 2007, 10:05:32 PM
well I'm playing with the base & scroll, but what I was thinking was the wing design from you wing patch overlayed on top of the minuteman/plow - which is why I ask if you're still wearing the wg patch now & think that's going to stick in the future, and if that design is popular or not. There's a miniuteman motto in latin, I have to look up again, I had it last night. I'll give you the semi-subdued look on color choices.

I have heard scuttlebutt that the wing is planning to retain the patch, but I have yet to see anything in writing.  I am in the camp that thinks they should go bye-bye actually, but haven't removed them... just in case. I still appreciate the AAF roots to the patch though.  I'd have to see how the wings look on it.   I'm actually not pro-squadron patches either, but I would like a logo that would work as a patch.

I don't really want to add a motto just for the patch.  It's not a requirement IIRC.
Mike Johnston

DNall

No it isn't a requirement. I'll send it over this evening & you can see how it feels though. I'm also not pro-sq patch, but do like use on letterhead & websites. I'll play with the design & try to keep it as un-busy as possible, and of course the under-stated colors.

DNall

Pretty simple & straightforward. I can darken up the colors & use your green statue guy instead of the standard guard one. Just something simple to look at for the concept.

Motto I was talking about...
Ense et aratro - With sword and plow. (citizen-soldier, one who serves in war and peace)

I really like the one I put on Joe's patch though.

ddelaney103

Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2007, 04:39:12 AM
Quote from: DNall on February 26, 2007, 04:26:08 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on February 25, 2007, 11:31:15 PM
Design our unit patch...
Alright, quick & dirty, motto is a bit cliche'. I'll play with it some more if you want... email me & let me know what you want done.

Nice, good color choice.

I would suggest using a white stroke arounf the shield, instead of losing the shape in field. 

Really sharp.

Non concur on the shield - Fimbriation (the placing of a defining line around a symbol whose color is too close to the background) usually washes out at what would be the normal viewing distance.  You'd be better off just using the triangle and tri-prop and making is as large as possible to fit the space, though the space between the wings doesn't lend itself to symbols that aren't long and narrow, like swords or elongated 4 point stars.

BTW, since this is almost a direct copy of the TXWG patch, you may want to get an extra sign off from the CC before proceeding much further.

Eclipse

With regards to the stroke, there might be some practical realities to stiching, but I wouldn't let that limit the actual image used for the graphic.

On the group shield, we got a single thread width to make the stroke and it seperated fine.

That patch is earlier in this thread.

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

thei's no shield there, just the triangle. I already tried to straighten it out pixel by pixel, but it's going to be coppy cause of the size. This is why art used for the actual patch must be 3-5 times actual size.

It's a tx wg unit, so there's not problems using elements of the wing patch, especially since that'll go away at some point.

MIKE

Quote from: DNall on February 27, 2007, 06:20:58 AM

Can you try something different with the black boarder and scroll?  It just seems like a lot of black.  It might not be so bad if the boarder and text of the scroll were the same color, but the background color was different maybe.  Unit name should be in caps I think.

Not sure about the wings yet.
Mike Johnston

DNall

I can change that scroll out if you want a dif look. What's up on those wings? If you like em, that's fine if not, that's okay too, just tell me what other CAP element you want in there & I'll fix it up.

LtCol White

Those wings with the disk look like the flying ball from Harry Potter. HAHAHA
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

ddelaney103

The Golden Snitch Composite Sqdn?  I like it!

Otherwise, I think the patch might have jumped the tracks a bit.  I would suggest finding an image of the Minuteman that carries a distinctive outline.  Not only will it be easier to see on the patch, it will make a great stencil.  Indeed, "does it make a good stencil" is one of the questions on my checklists when coming up with a design.