Aviation Headsets

Started by OMA, March 02, 2015, 05:59:36 PM

OMA

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for headsets under $200? I'm training to be an MS and I want to have my own set, as the ones my group provides are hit or miss when it comes to how well they work. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Huey Driver

You can find some great deals on Evilbay.

Of course, do some research on your own to find a decent headset, given your budget, but I guarantee you'll be able to get one for a bargain if you're patient.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Capt Thompson

I'm not a pilot, so I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but a quick google search turned up $169 headsets at pilotmall and amazon.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Eclipse

+1 With that budget you should have no issue finding something serviceable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panzerbjorn

It's hard to go wrong with David Clarks.  A good entry level DC is the H10-13.4.  On eBay, you can find them for around $150.

For under $200, you're going to have a hard time finding anything new that also have good quality.  To get the quality and stay in that budget, buying used is your best bet.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Eclipse

Looking on eBay, I'm assuming the lighter-weight, non-surrounding ones are for quieter
environments like a biz-jet, etc?

Not much use in a Cessna?

I'd like to pick up a pair myself - seems like it's always a last minute scramble to find a pair when
I fly - would love to have something that didn't make my ears sweat and that had ANC.

"That Others May Zoom"

jhighman

I highly recommend Marv Golden if you are looking for very affordable Active Noise Reduction headsets. http://www.marvgolden.com/mg-anr-headset.html

It's a tiny bit upstairs of your budget but if you'll be spending a lot of time in the air, I think you, will appreciate the performance and comfort of ANR vs a Passive Noise Reduction set.

I bought this rig when I started flight training. In the interest of full disclosure I did upgrade the ear seals and the head pad even before I started using it, so I'm not 100% sure how the comfort of the default version compares. I've put in a couple hundred hours since, including some 3+ hours as a Mission Observer. It continues to hold up well and to be a comfortable, robust option.

On a side note, if you just want inexpensive, you might want to look at PilotUSA passive headsets. I bought my wife (who flies very seldom) the 1161 http://www.marvgolden.com/pilot-usa-pa-1161-passive-headset.html. I've borrowed it a couple times and for the price, it's quite a nice choice too.

LSThiker

Quote from: OMA on March 02, 2015, 05:59:36 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for headsets under $200? I'm training to be an MS and I want to have my own set, as the ones my group provides are hit or miss when it comes to how well they work. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Just as a thought, you are currently training to be an MS.  Before dropping some serious cash into a headset, I would suggest first becoming qualified in MS.  Then spend a little time in it just to make sure you enjoy that position.  If the aircraft headsets are not working, then get with the squadron CC or ES officer and raise the concern to your next headquarters (either Group or Wing) to have those replaced.  Also, is the MS an active ES qual in your area?  Will your alerting officer call you if they need an MS?  Or will they call some other person?

It may turn out that you do not like the position and you could have spent that $200 towards an NCSA or encampment or something else.

Huey Driver

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on March 02, 2015, 08:15:46 PM
It's hard to go wrong with David Clarks.  A good entry level DC is the H10-13.4.  On eBay, you can find them for around $150.

They also last a long time. Furthermore, DC will refurbish and repair them for free, minus parts and shipping.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

JC004

I got my David Clark headset for an excellent price on eBay. 

SeanM

This is the headset I purchased, and I'm very happy with it.  $155 new.

http://pilot-usa.com/pa-1171t.html

Sean
Sean McClanahan, Lt Col, CAP
Squadron Commander, Delaware Legislative Squadron
Director of Emergency Services - Delaware Wing

JC004

A headset that isn't puke green?!  WHAT?!

JacobAnn

Quote from: JerseyCadet on March 03, 2015, 12:35:29 AM
Quote from: Panzerbjorn on March 02, 2015, 08:15:46 PM

They also last a long time. Furthermore, DC will refurbish and repair them for free, minus parts and shipping.

I've had mine forever and it still works great.  Never needed any repairs.

Cliff_Chambliss

Take a look at Gulf Coast Avionics.  They have a good selection, decent prices, and service is great.  I bought two headsets from them and 10 years later had a problem which they said would cost more to fix than the headsets were worth and gave me a very good trade in on two new units.  https://gulfcoastavionics.com
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

OMA

Has anyone ever used the David Clark H10-76? It's relatively cheap on Amazon and I'm thinking about adding that one to the list of possible headsets to buy. Another one I was looking at was the FARO G2-PNR. One of the things I'm afraid of is I'm not sure if different headsets need adapters to work with our Cessnas, any clarification would be much appreciated.

SarDragon

General aviation audio systems are pretty standard, so the headsets are mostly interchangeable.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

Quote from: OMA on March 22, 2015, 05:45:07 AM
Has anyone ever used the David Clark H10-76? It's relatively cheap on Amazon and I'm thinking about adding that one to the list of possible headsets to buy. Another one I was looking at was the FARO G2-PNR. One of the things I'm afraid of is I'm not sure if different headsets need adapters to work with our Cessnas, any clarification would be much appreciated.

Be careful with the H10-76, there's a reason they are cheap on evilbay.
"Most popular noise attenuating headset ever produced for use with military radio"
Military radios != Civilian radios
It may not work with your ICS system due to differences in impedance.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Cliff_Chambliss

The only adapters would be of two types and very specific in need.
1.  Military Surplus:  If using a military surplus headset, even David Clarks, you will need an impediance adapter for the mic.  Or you can change out the mil mic for a civilian mic.  Military to Civilian impedence adapters run in the $50-75 dollar range without a push to talk switch and 75-95 with.
2.  Plugs:  When buying a used headset not all come with standard General Aviation Plugs.  Military units and units for the helicopter set frequently have different style plugs.  You can buy plug adapters which cost $35-50 on the average.

You can find a military surplus headset and have to buy an impedence adapter (or civilian mic) and a plug adapter and you've now spent 2/3d's what a new headset would cost.
3d Infantry Division

Al Sayre

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on March 23, 2015, 02:08:21 PM

The only adapters would be of two types and very specific in need.
1.  Military Surplus:  If using a military surplus headset, even David Clarks, you will need an impediance adapter for the mic.  Or you can change out the mil mic for a civilian mic.  Military to Civilian impedence adapters run in the $50-75 dollar range without a push to talk switch and 75-95 with.
2.  Plugs:  When buying a used headset not all come with standard General Aviation Plugs.  Military units and units for the helicopter set frequently have different style plugs.  You can buy plug adapters which cost $35-50 on the average.

You can find a military surplus headset and have to buy an impedence adapter (or civilian mic) and a plug adapter and you've now spent 2/3d's what a new headset would cost.

Not to mention adding additional failure modes, bad adapter, bad plug(s) etc. when you get it and it doesn't work when you finally test it...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Cliff_Chambliss

I've been down the military surplus headset road and it is about as smooth as 10 miles of bad tank trail.  First headset (1960's) was something my dad had left over from his days in a B-29.  He cut the mic cord so it was a listen only and use a hand mic to talk.  Better than nothing but not by much.  The impedence difference made even listening less than great.  In the early 1980's I was given (found on post or whatever) several grey headsets with the kidney bean shaped earcup.  Off to buy the necessary adapters.  Getting set up was fun.  Headset (w/3'cord) to impedence/plug adapter (another 3'cord), to portable Push to Talk Switch (another 3' cord), to the radio.  All that wire made the cockpit look like a snake's den.
Add that the military headsets had a pre-formed steel wire spring that made the earcups want to pass each other.  Putting these on the head was like putting your head in a vise.  I actually considered wearing my SPH-4 as it was more comfortable (or maybe less uncomfortable).  We finally bought some nice Telex headsets and used them for years before moving to Lightspeeds. 
  A decent not great passive headset can be purchased new for less than $150.00.  Buy what you can afford and as finances improve upgrade.  Hang out around the airport (many fields still have a Saturday/Sunday Morning Flyers & Liars Group) and listen.  Sometimes you can find a deal as someone else is upgrading.  I would suggest however if you should buy a used headset invest the few bucks and replace the ear cushions with a good set of jel filled and get a good earcup cover  plastic on skin develops hot spots and a good cover prevents that.
3d Infantry Division