Electronic fingerprints?

Started by kcebnaes, January 19, 2015, 04:42:20 AM

kcebnaes

Is it possible to get a waiver for the old school fingerprints?  I have a potential senior member who is allergic to ink, and will not join if the only option is ink. 
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

SarDragon

Call Jennifer Carroll, at NHQ, or submit a Q to the Knowledgebase.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

I've seen electronic fingerprints printed on to the cards by law enforcement agencies with the fancy machines/printers.  Try to find an agency that can do that. 

sardak

I was fingerprinted for the umpteenth time in November at my local sheriff's department. They digitially scanned all ten fingers, even rolling on them on the scanner like they used to do with ink. They printed them out on a standard FBI fingerprint card.

Mike

kcebnaes

Thank you all for your help, even sarcasm! I'll check it out on Tuesday!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

LTCinSWR

You are looking for an AFIS (Automated Fingerprint Identification System) device. Most (if not all) county S.O.s have these, because the Sheriff is responsible for prisoner intake and jailing (Most states, anyway). My sister has been with Harris County (Houston TX) as a deputy for years and when I was a Reserve in AZ, we also had the same. New Mexico, where I live now, is no different.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

Bullpup95

Just a little input from a fingerprint guy, you are looking for agencies that have "livescan" devices which as described above scan your fingers and produce a printed ten print card.  "AFIS" are the systems used for searching latent and unknown fingerprints against known databases.  Most agencies can do this, however most charge a fee ranging from a few dollars up to and in excess of $25 which I find crazy.

Personally I don't understand why units are not using inkless systems available for the same prices paid for ink, rollers, and a card holder.  JMHO

LTCinSWR

I called it AFIS because we colloquially called it the AFIS machine; thanks for the information! :)
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

The CyBorg is destroyed

When I last rejoined CAP six years ago, I got my prints done at a small-town police station.

The officer who took my prints was incredulous that CAP, an agency associated with the Air Force, would still be using such archaic methods.  He actually said, "I'm going to have to dig into my memory to remember how to do this."  He showed me their electronic scanner, saying "this is much easier...of course, most of the people we print are not usually here voluntarily and being cooperative, like you! ;)"

I got my fingerprints done for my NEXUS border-crossing card at a CBP station.  They used the electronic scanner.

I don't think I had to pay a fee in either case, though I did for the entire NEXUS process.

The FIRST time I got printed for CAP ('93), it was (unbelievably) done by a couple of secretaries at a Sheriff's office...and they used the same kind of ink pad they used for rubber stamping!  My squadron CC saw it and was baffled (he was a reserve Sheriff's officer in another county).  He said "these will get sent back," and they did.

For my second try, I went to another police department, who did it the traditional ink-and-roller-on-glass-plate way.  No problems.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Delta75

Quote from: kcebnaes on January 19, 2015, 04:42:20 AM
Is it possible to get a waiver for the old school fingerprints?  I have a potential senior member who is allergic to ink, and will not join if the only option is ink.

I live in a Large city and just about everyone here has moved to the Digital scanner fingerprint. I thought this would be a problem but have since found out that HQ will accept them.

Eclipse

There are more then a few units who have bought fingerprinting kits and do ink prints themselves.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: Delta75 on March 04, 2015, 06:43:38 PM
Quote from: kcebnaes on January 19, 2015, 04:42:20 AM

I live in a Large city and just about everyone here has moved to the Digital scanner fingerprint. I thought this would be a problem but have since found out that HQ will accept them.

What did they accept?  A card made on the electronic machine, then printed?

When I had mine done by the TSA for clearance through them, they scanned them and I never saw them print them.  I think they were electronically sent away while I was doing my documents.