virtual flight instructor software ad-on

Started by pleader, July 15, 2013, 03:18:01 PM

pleader

Has anyone evaluated FS Flying School add-on software?  I've had it on my computer for several years in conjunction with Microsoft Flight Simulator X.  A different version is available for other simulator platforms.  The virtual flight instructor evaluates your flying as you fly in the simulator environment and offers verbal tips and suggestions regarding equipment, radios, in-flight status reporting, co-pilot assistance when requested, and engine operation.  It essentially reacts to your pilot inputs.  At the end of each flight, it provides a verbal summary and incisive critique.  There are several individual aircraft, such as the C182, C150/152, and C206, among others, where a further detailed operations programs are available.  It has another program that accepts verbal recognition input, though I haven't tried it yet.  So far, I haven't found anyone in CAP who has familiarity with this inexpensive software, which has one many awards, yet it would seem an excellent educational tool, especially for people seeking more exposure to learning about piloting other than just flying around in their sim.  When I was taking flight instruction, I found the virtual "flight instructor" was commenting on the same deficiencies that my flight instructor noticed.  Over the years the publisher has continually improved it and made the program more capable.  Obviously, the program is a much less expensive way to find out about and find ways to improve cockpit awareness and improve pilot skills, and have a handy co-pilot to assist with altitude calls, radio frequencies, etc.  The program also has a Google map interface available after the flight which permits a review that was especially helpful for landing pattern work.

For those interested, an excellent video of the "free to download and try" program is found at fsflyingschool.com.  I've been so impressed with the possibilities for the software in CAP, particularly for cadet aerospace learning, that contact with the publisher in Great Britain has raised some interest in making the program available at a discount through the CAP Members Benefits page and possibly some sort of sponsorship to get it into CAP squadrons for cadet use on a low cost basis.  I'd be interested in comments of others as to whether or not this is worthwhile to pursue and input regarding how to make this happen on a CAP nationwide basis.  There's also a program from this publisher named "on approach" for practicing various airport approach scenarios.
Steven Michael, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Unit Maintenance Officer
Washington Wing Assistant Legal Officer