The Best of Squadron Patches

Started by Pylon, January 09, 2006, 08:41:09 PM

ddelaney103

While it's a very striking design with a lot of clever details, I do have some heartburn about the Fullerton patch.

I think the biggest problem is the general busyness of the design and the lack of color contrast will make it muddled when viewed at the normal distance one views 3" pocket patches.

This is the current problem with new designs, both in CAP and the military - the tendency to design for the computer screen instead of the BDU patch.  My civilian work unit has gone the "eagle on flag background" path.  This is fine on PowerPoint or as a wall plaque but has real problems when woven into something for wear on the flight suit.

One possible suggestion would be to design a simple patch and then "bling it out" for the t-shirt or the web page.  7.62 Designs (http://www.7point62design.com/index.html) is a good example of "blinging out" Army patches, which tend towards really basic designs.

alamrcn

Here's Snoopy!

Too fun! I think I have one more somewhere, but couldn't find it.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

BBerry

Thanks for the plug again, Ace!

Our fearless Flyin' Ace met the National Commander this week when "TP" dropped in for a surprise visit to us on our meeting night.  See "National Commander Surprises Ga. Squadron with Visit to Meeting" at CAP News Online.

We presented the General a 'mission-hardened' Snoopy patch (cut in the back room from one of our ground team leader's uniforms!) and our "Don't Make Us Come Looking For You" ground team t-shirts. 

The "Pickle Suits, Jungle Fatigues, and BDUs" phrase in the article was lifted by the CAP News Online editor from the words we supplied to Ace for his website's history of our squadron patch.  See Ace's The History of the Snoopy Patch

Joe Congleton, the patch designer and now a disabled Vietnam vet, will be proud to hear about Snoopy's latest exploits. 

"Curse You, Red Baron!..."
Brian Berry, Lt Col, CAP
GBD, GTL, GTM1
Seminole Composite Squadron
FL116

alamrcn

Another patch successfully preserved...
IN-069, Col James H Kasler Senior Squadron

The patch's history: http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/IN/in069.html

Positive comments and discussion about this patch are welcome Watch out for more unique pieces of CAP uniform history as they arrive!

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Hoser

The best has already been taken IMHO.

RiverAux

Who exactly are you fighting?

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

ddelaney103

Quote from: LtCol White on May 12, 2007, 02:27:14 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on May 12, 2007, 01:18:47 PM
Who exactly are you fighting?

Themselves? LOL  ;D

Reminds me of a Mad Magazine "article":

TITLE "I fought with the 212th Infantry!"

TEXT "I also fought with the 177th Armor, 32nd Engineers and my high school classmates - I couldn't get along with anyone..."

Eclipse

Yes, I'm always amazed at the lack of understanding of what a herald should be.

Units that depict missions they don't participate in, skulls, references to "fighting", or aircraft / vehicles / equipment which have never been a part of CAP are generally amusing to me, in the least, but show that
no one, from the unit CC on up the Chain cared enough to have a conversation about it...

"That Others May Zoom"

alamrcn

Quote from: Eclipse on May 12, 2007, 06:28:03 PM
Units that depict missions they don't participate in, skulls, references to "fighting", or aircraft / vehicles / equipment which have never been a part of CAP are generally amusing to me, in the least, but show that
no one, from the unit CC on up the Chain cared enough to have a conversation about it...

I'm not sure, but looking at the file name for that pic - "VF-143" - It sounds like a Navy unit and not CAP...

[Ace does quick Google image search]

Yup, sure is a USN Squadron - and posted in a thred called "The Best of Squadron Patches" I guess he'd be entitled to that opinion, heh.  Oh well.

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

If thats a Navy squadron patch that he was bragging on, then I rescind my comment (though a heads up on who he was bragging on would have been nice). 

AlphaSigOU

VF-143... the World Famous Pukin' Dogs!  ;D (Yes, that is their nickname.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

alamrcn

Another patch successfully preserved...
VA-095, Coastal Composite Squadron

Positive comments and discussion about this patch are welcome. Watch out for more unique pieces of CAP uniform history as they arrive!

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

NIN

Now that is a sweet lookin' patch
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LtCol White

Looks really cool. Unique to cap and very professional. Accurately reflects the unit.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Mustang

Here's one designed by yours truly.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

LtCol White

Nice job. Would be a bit better if it had the wording in the rockers above and below the disc. Otherwise, really sharp looking patch and lots of detail.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

alamrcn

Quote from: Mustang on May 23, 2007, 06:08:42 AM
Here's one designed by yours truly.

Very nice! I think I had seen a computerized art version of this somewhere on the net, but didn't know that it did get made into a patch. This amount of "depth" is hard to get, but I think it was pulled off very well - especially the banking plane seen from the belly side. Please share with us the manufacturer if you could.

I'd like to purchase a few of these if they are available, and I'll try to PM you from the forum website.

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

A new patch successfully recorded and preserved for posterity...

OR-065, Aurora Composite Squadron - "Fearless Falcons"

Positive comments and discussion about this patch are welcome. Watch out for more unique pieces of CAP uniform history as they arrive!

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota