Main Menu

Multiple Specialty Tracks

Started by davedove, October 12, 2006, 03:36:56 PM

davedove

Can a member pursue multiple specialty tracks at the same time?  In small units, members often must fill multiple positions.  All I can find in the regs states that if a member has multiple assignments, he should choose the primary duties specialty track.  I don't see anything that says he CAN"T work on more than one at a time.

Granted, in the ideal situation, squadrons would have plenty of people to fill the different positions, and each member could focus on an individual track.  But in the real world, if you are working two different positions, it would be great to get credit for the different specialty tracks.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Psicorp

I asked that same question when I rejoined.  I was told my our Professional Development Officer that yes, you can.  The actual number of specialty tracts you can work in isn't limited.  When you think about it, if you have a Technician Rating and then work on another specialty, you can still qualify for the Senior Rating in the original tract.   

The number of badges you can wear on the uniform in limited, but what you can learn and get credit for isn't.

As far an Officer having multiple assignments, you should see what my squadron's position listing looks like.  We have several members who's duty list is larger than my old cadet ribbon rack.  Needless to say, we're getting other Officers to step up a little more.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Camas

There are those who would suggest that members with a multitude of specialty track ratings, especially with "tech" ratings might be spreading themselves a bit thin.  The opinion is that as members we should pursue one track and pursue it with the best of our ability in getting a "senior" or "master" rating so as to grow in the professional development program.
   Yet there are those who share the view that members who are enrolled and pursuing more than one track have the opportunity to broaden their knowledge and not become focused on just one aspect of the CAP program.
   I can't give anyone a "right" answer as we all pretty much have our own needs in professional development and, of course, many of us are in a situation where we have to "wear more than one hat".
   As my wing DPD I see members throughout my wing doing both.  I do have some concerns when I see members doing five specialty tracks and all they have is an "enrolled" or "tech" rating and they haven't even done their Level II yet.   Yet there are those who've been doing one and only specialty track for years and, as mentioned earlier, sometimes become too focused on just one part of the program.
  For my part, I hold two specialty track ratings and I enjoy working in both of them as time permits.  And I look forward to working in other aspects of CAP even though I might never pursue another specialty track rating.  Just some thoughts.

arajca

I currently hold three tech ratings and one senior. I only actively pursued one rating. The rest happened as I served in the various staff positions I was needed in. After a while, I'd look at the requirements and noticed that I met all of them, so I was awarded the rating.

Many of the multi-track seniors I know have had the same experience.

Pylon

I also have a number of specialty tracks going, even though I only primarily work with cadet programs.  However, after 3 years of working cadet programs as a senior, I am still only technician rated.  The lack of TLC anywhere in the area has prevented me from finishing my last remaining Level III requirement -- earning my senior rating.

I've had to pursue ratings in other areas I've helped out in to get my senior rating and move forward with my professional development that's been on hold for some time.

Can't blame your members for branching-out to other tracks when they complete every aspect of a specialty, except the one they can't control, and have to stick-it-out at technician level.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on October 12, 2006, 05:52:17 PM
The lack of TLC anywhere in the area has prevented me from finishing my last remaining Level III requirement -- earning my senior rating.

Weren't  you guys planning one that was supposed to happen around this past summer?  Should've come to Westover.

What are some good specialty tracks that don't have the extra training, that makes it easier to get senior or master ratings in than things like CP and COMM? 
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on October 12, 2006, 06:08:33 PM
What are some good specialty tracks that don't have the extra training, that makes it easier to get senior or master ratings in than things like CP and COMM? 

I've found it easy to pick up Senior Programs, but I've been an Assistant Test Control Officer for a while and have studied 50-17 and related regs a bunch.

When I realized I'd never be able to complete the Cadet Programs rating anytime soon, I went through all of the specialty track guides and looked at the various requirements.  I'd definitely agree with you that ratings like Cadet Programs, Comm, Ops, and ES are among the more difficult.  And certain ones require specific knowledge I don't have, like Finance.

Quote from: MIKE on October 12, 2006, 06:08:33 PM
Weren't  you guys planning one that was supposed to happen around this past summer?  Should've come to Westover.

I think I was only one of two registered students.  If I had known ours was going to get low response, I would've been to Leftovers in a heartbeat to take it.  If you hear of any others upcoming, lemme know.   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Well...I've started planning a TLC in CO. Looking at late Feb. If you don't mind a little travel, you'd be welcome to join us.

Bring the family - they can hit the slopes while you hit the books. >:D

Camas

I understand that the TLC training has to be conducted by someone with a master's rating in CP - and I'm sure that in some groups or wings that could be a problem.  One might figure that if you've done Level One's, SLS and the like you should be able to do the TLC but it doesn't work that way.  I'm sure someone in CP can correct me if I'm wrong.  Cadet programs isn't one of my fields.

As far as specialty tracks that are attainable you're right - some of them are very difficult.  I hold a tech rating in communications and I have no illusions of ever getting a senior's rating.  No radios and no comm exercises - that kind of thing.  I might just pursue something else.

My suggestion to those who are looking for something that's attainable is to do the research yourself.  I could tell you that a specialty track is a piece of cake but others on this forum might find that that's not the case at all given their situation and the makeup and needs of their unit.

lordmonar

Well....if you actually doing multiple jobs...then you should be working on the specialty track that goes with that job.  Every Senior member in a cadet squadron should also be working on the CP tech rating, even if they are finance or administration.  Likewise if you are holding down two (or more staff positions) you should be working on both of those ratings.

As you move higher, you will find that it becomes difficult to be working on two senior ratings at the same time....but again...you could work on Senior in your main job ans work on your tech in another.

There is nothing wrong with learning how the other guys in your squadron are doing their jobs.

Forgive me if this makes anyone angry...but I view most tech ratings as sort of Boy Scouts Merit badges....they are there to give you a very basic level of understanding of the job....no make you an expert....that is what the senior and master ratings are for.

So....I encourage everyone to take on as many tech ratings as they can honestly handle (honest to the squadron).  They may find out that someone else's job is better than the one they are currently doing.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

For those interested in getting promoted at some reasonable rate you have to sometimes do multiple specialty tracks because if you waited to meet all the requirements in some of the them it would delay your promotion a while.  So, some people chose their "real" specialty and then do a backup "easy" specialty to ensure that when promotion time comes around they will have met the level rating requirements.  Take a look at the time requirements for Public Affairs, for example.   This wasn't an issue for me, but could be for others.

davedove

Yes, some tracks are much easier to accomplish in terms of requirements.  Some, like Personnel Officer and Administrative Officer only require you to work successfully in the job for a certain length of time.  Others, like Cadet Programs, require specific training.  If the training is not offered, you don't get to advance.

I am working both Personnel and Senior Programs.  The Senior Programs requires specific tasks be accomplished.  There are not a lot of members in my squadron, so those specific tasks may not come up in the six month period.  So, I find that I am using my own actions to satisfy the Senior Programs requirments.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

arajca

Quote from: Camas on October 12, 2006, 11:04:29 PM
I understand that the TLC training has to be conducted by someone with a master's rating in CP - and I'm sure that in some groups or wings that could be a problem.  One might figure that if you've done Level One's, SLS and the like you should be able to do the TLC but it doesn't work that way.  I'm sure someone in CP can correct me if I'm wrong.  Cadet programs isn't one of my fields.
Catch-22. It is supposed to be conducted by a Master CP rated member, but conducting it is a requirement for the Master CP rating. Also, if the course is only offered once or twice a year in a wing, how many Master CP ratings can your wing get? I haven't taken TLC yet because in the two years before I got my Senior CP rating, the course was not offered. My commander waived it because he didn't think it was right to hold me up because of the group/wing failure to offer the required course.

I am setting up the TLC because 1. I need to for my Master CP rating and B) I know several members who need it for their Senior CP rating.

QuoteAs far as specialty tracks that are attainable you're right - some of them are very difficult.  I hold a tech rating in communications and I have no illusions of ever getting a senior's rating.  No radios and no comm exercises - that kind of thing.  I might just pursue something else.
Some requirements can be waived by the wing DC. If you live in an area with no radio nets, you meet the net participation/NCS requirements. 25% of 0 is 0. If wing/region doesn't hold exercises, you can't participate in them. I would petition your wing DC for a waiver on those points, as long as you're doing what you can to meet the requirements. The worst he will do is say no.

QuoteMy suggestion to those who are looking for something that's attainable is to do the research yourself.  I could tell you that a specialty track is a piece of cake but others on this forum might find that that's not the case at all given their situation and the makeup and needs of their unit.
I agree completely.

Chappie

Quote from: davedove on October 12, 2006, 03:36:56 PM
Can a member pursue multiple specialty tracks at the same time?  In small units, members often must fill multiple positions.  All I can find in the regs states that if a member has multiple assignments, he should choose the primary duties specialty track.  I don't see anything that says he CAN"T work on more than one at a time.

Granted, in the ideal situation, squadrons would have plenty of people to fill the different positions, and each member could focus on an individual track.  But in the real world, if you are working two different positions, it would be great to get credit for the different specialty tracks.

You can work on and receive multiple specialty tracks.  I hold a Master rating in the Chaplain, Cadet Programs and Professional Development Officer specialty tracks.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

How come we have a seperate ROA card?  Isn't there some convenient way to display this information for BCUT and / or ACUT on the 101 Card?

Sure there is - but I'm guessing this will add to the work load of those using SIMS, WMU, or some other convenient system for their local units.  Just think, if an individual receives the ROA qualifications, this can be entered into the _______ system and then the recipient can print off the 101 card, even if (s)he hasn't completed the 116 test. 

Nobody says that you can't print out a 101 card without completing the 116 test, so why not simplify the process and combine these two features together.  It reduces mail costs, makes it easier for the Wing Licensing Officer, and puts the responsibility back on the unit commander to approve these operations for his/her people.  It also gives an immediate feedback to the ROA holder instead of waiting up to 9 months for the ROA card to arrive.

Thoughts?

H

RedCloud246

In response to the A/B-CUT (CAPF 76); and adding it to the CAPF 101... here's some perspective on the matter.

CAP Communications Program, even though part of the Emergency Services (ES) Mission, is separate from the ES Program. Different series of regulations, separate duty positions, etc.

The radio nets, maintenance, and use of CAP Radios is not limited to ES. You don't have to have a CAPF 101 to operate CAP radios. In fact, some of our best Radio Control Officers for the VHF and HF nets do not participate in the ES Mission, but they're superb at communications.

That's why they're still separate.

My opinion: YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, H! Putting a separate field on the CAPF 101 to denote B-CUT, A-CUT, and why don't we through the CAP vehicle license info and first aid information on there, too. Except for those few folks who have EVERYTHING already listed on their CAPF 101, the list still wouldn't be very long for your average Aircrewman or Ground Pounder, and I can stop carrying the separate wallet of ID and Qualification cards around.

This means NHQ would have to add Comm and transportation modules to track CAPF 75's (Driving permits); and CAPF 76's (ROA's); to MIMS. They already have a module for tracking monthly vehicle usage.

A lot of Wings are still low-tech when tracking and issuing the 75's/76's. This may be a benefit to all.

That's my 2-Cents, anyway. Good Question H (119411).

RogueLeader

I personally want to have a couple speialty tracks, so I can learn different things and keep busy. At this point, I want to get into something, at this point.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Carrales

In a starting or retooling/rebuilding unit, mutliple track are a must.  Then, one must/should shed them for the benefit of the new people in favor of the one they want to do.

Part of the WHOLE CAP approach dictates that units be flexible and have people who can slide into positions with ease due to a low degree of cross training.

There are some logical crossovers:
For example, and Admin Officer might moonlight as the Personnel Officer

Safety Officer along with Emergency Service/ Operations Officer

Public Affairs along with Historian

One could list other working combos...

In the end the person to whom the responsibility falls will be the Squadron Commander.

The key to a sucessful command is a working Staff with departments that report to the commander.  The commander is ultimately responsible, but no man or woman can be 100% into every track as a staff officer can.  To make a Commander do so for a long period of time while others participate in the "fun" is asking for BURN OUT.

The creedo is best... "WE DO OUR PART!"
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Camas

Quote from: Major CarralesIn the end the person to whom the responsibility falls will be the Squadron Commander.

Sir, I would agree with you to a point.  However if a squadron is blessed with people who have the mangerial skills to serve as deputy squadron commanders, I wonder if some of these responsbilities could be delegated to them.  It's an awful big workload for a unit commander to handle.  I would certainly concede that most squadrons with limited resoures in manpower don't have that luxury.  But it's certainly a way to distribute the workload due to lack of personnel for those units fortunate to have that resource.  Squadrons with members with multiple specialty track ratings would also be possible candidates to step into the deputy squadron commander positions and assist in recruiting new members so members don't have to wear too many hats.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Camas on November 08, 2006, 06:07:59 PM
Quote from: Major CarralesIn the end the person to whom the responsibility falls will be the Squadron Commander.

Sir, I would agree with you to a point.  However if a squadron is blessed with people who have the mangerial skills to serve as deputy squadron commanders, I wonder if some of these responsbilities could be delegated to them.  It's an awful big workload for a unit commander to handle.  I would certainly concede that most squadrons with limited resoures in manpower don't have that luxury.  But it's certainly a way to distribute the workload due to lack of personnel for those units fortunate to have that resource.  Squadrons with members with multiple specialty track ratings would also be possible candidates to step into the deputy squadron commander positions and assist in recruiting new members so members don't have to wear too many hats.

Would be be so bold as to agree with you entirely.  When I say the untilmate responsibility is with the Squadron Commander, I mean that it is that Commander's duty and obligation to insure that the departments are running effectively.

At the end of the year, or when ever unit reports et al are due, it will be the Squadron Commander who will answer for sucess and failure.

I, as a Squadron Commander, accept that and must be ready for that.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 08, 2006, 05:48:02 PM
Part of the WHOLE CAP approach dictates that units be flexible and have people who can slide into positions with ease due to a low degree of cross training.
I think you mean HIGH degree of cross-training. Honestly most of the specialty tracks a re a mess, due in large part to the diffuculties mentioned. That being understaffed equals many of those are not filled, certainly you don't mentor up/OJT under a person master rated & current in that field certainly not that also has a background as a trained instructor - it may happen once in a blue moon, but that's not the norm. We also don't have standardized training to go w/ the OJT/mentor block, nor an outside career field manager like you'd see in the military or business world to oversee everyone in that field. Say you're talking about personnel, you'd think that responsibility falls on the Gp & Wg personnel officer, but they are busy being personnel officer for that echelon & not overseeing every unit Sq personnel officer as they progress in the track. It seems like those are simple solutions that could make a world of difference if applied in a Wg.