Main Menu

Change in terms?

Started by NCRblues, February 29, 2016, 06:55:21 PM

A.Member

^ Agree, we tend to get wrapped around the axle on relatively trivial items.

That said, I'll play...

My $.02:

All active adult members can/should be termed Airmen (Civil Air Patrol Airmen).  This effectively addresses those adult members without grade and provides a catch all term for all adult members.  This also aligns with recent comments/direction from NHQ leadership.  Edit Note:  All patrons remain patrons, etc.
Adult members choosing to retain their NCO ranks are...wait for it....NCO's
Adult members that have earned an officer rank are...can also be Officers

Cadet members are Cadets (Civil Air Patrol Cadet)...and this term (Cadet) continues to preface each of their ranks.

To me, that's simple and straight forward.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Storm Chaser

I think using the term Airman would be more confusing and it would imply members in the other CAP membership categories are not Airmen.

Why not keep things simple and call senior members "active members"? And if that's not clear enough, then "regular members"?

A.Member

You're either an Airmen or a Cadet.   How is that confusing?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: A.Member on March 01, 2016, 06:43:27 PM

Or...Adult vs Cadet.

THRAWN

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 01, 2016, 06:46:07 PM

Or...Adult vs Cadet.

That'll never work. Adult member? Cadet member? It's so....descriptive....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

lordmonar

Cadets are Big A airman too.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

A.Member

Quote from: lordmonar on March 01, 2016, 06:47:59 PM
Yep, but Cadet prefaces that term.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: THRAWN on February 29, 2016, 06:59:12 PM
That works if all of the adult members are officers. Since they're not, this looks like the left and right hands operating independently.

Hopefully this means my internalized request for SMWOG to be converted to "Temporary Third Lieutenant" is in the works!"

I guarantee you this will increase membership!

Would you like to know more?

lordmonar

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 01, 2016, 06:51:17 PM
That works if all of the adult members are officers. Since they're not, this looks like the left and right hands operating independently.

Hopefully this means my internalized request for SMWOG to be converted to "Temporary Third Lieutenant" is in the works!"

You are disturbing the ghost of RAH.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

THRAWN

Quote from: lordmonar on March 01, 2016, 07:00:02 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 01, 2016, 06:51:17 PM

You are disturbing the ghost of RAH.

Terrible concept, but I grok.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

That being said, this now makes certain conversations more annoying. We have NCOs and... officers without a commission? I'm ASSUMING there isn't a change in our "officer" status being anything beyond recognition of PD.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 01, 2016, 07:23:15 PM
That being said, this now makes certain conversations more annoying. We have NCOs and... officers without a commission? I'm ASSUMING there isn't a change in our "officer" status being anything beyond recognition of PD.

Non non commissioned officer and no commissioned officers. Duh.  >:D

Storm Chaser

Quote from: A.Member on March 01, 2016, 06:50:44 PM

Only when it relates to the grade. Otherwise, cadets are as much Airmen as senior members.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 01, 2016, 08:28:20 PM

Only when it relates to the grade. Otherwise, cadets are as much Airmen as senior members.

Except, the term only applies during the execution of Air-Force assigned missions.

https://www.capnhq.gov/news/Documents/CAP%20and%20the%20Total%20Force%20FAQs.pdf

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 01, 2016, 07:23:15 PM

Officer promotions are not supposed to be a recognition for Professional Development progression. CAPR 35-1 is clear that duty performance promotions are based on performance. PD progression is just an additional, albeit important, requirement.

A.Member

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 01, 2016, 08:31:47 PM

Except, the term only applies during the execution of Air-Force assigned missions.

https://www.capnhq.gov/news/Documents/CAP%20and%20the%20Total%20Force%20FAQs.pdf
But it doesn't have to; that's self-imposed.  Same answer to Storm Chaser.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: A.Member on March 01, 2016, 08:42:20 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 01, 2016, 08:31:47 PM

How is it self-imposed? The AF wrote it that way when they updated their doctrine.

Quote from: Air Force Doctrine, Volume 2, Chapter 1In addition, Civil Air Patrol members, when executing Air Force-assigned missions, are civilian volunteers (with a small paid staff) of the official Air Force Auxiliary.

I'm not saying that I don't like the idea, I do, it's just not the way things appear to be designed today.

A.Member

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 01, 2016, 08:46:31 PM
Quote from: A.Member

How is it self-imposed? The AF wrote it that way when they updated their doctrine.
We could call ourselves Propeller Heads if we wanted.  The fact that USAF recognizes us as Airmen in their doctrine is great but how we refer to ourselves is really up to us. 

CAP_truth

We have active duty servicemen or women, reservists, National Guardsmen or women. How about Auxiliarist. 
Cadet CoP
Wilson

SarDragon

Regarding the whole SMWOG thing, let's review this post from 2012. It is still relevant.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret