Main Menu

New Member Integration

Started by davedove, December 12, 2006, 03:32:10 PM

davedove

I found a manual from the CGAux that I thought had some good principles for integrating new members into the organization:

http://www.auxtdept.org/PDF/NewMemberFirstSixMonths.pdf

Although it's written for CGAux, it's principles can be easily adapted for CAP.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Pylon

Quote from: davedove on December 12, 2006, 03:32:10 PM
I found a manual from the CGAux that I thought had some good principles for integrating new members into the organization:

http://www.auxtdept.org/PDF/NewMemberFirstSixMonths.pdf

Although it's written for CGAux, it's principles can be easily adapted for CAP.

Thanks for sharing!  This is certainly an area CAP as a whole needs to improve upon, with our horrible retention rates as of late.  Any lessons we can learn are good ones.   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

davedove

My own integration into the squadron was pretty self directed.  The basic direction I got was:

1.  You  want to be a member?  Great, fill out this application and mail it in.
2.  Your membership application was accepted?  Great, how would you like to do personnel?
3.  Okay, you're the Personnel Officer.  Let us know if you need anything.

That was basically it.  I did get introduced to most of the officers.  One of our senior officers did help me get my Level I and some communications classes.  Everything else had to research myself.

If I wanted to rewrite this as a CAP Pamphlet, what steps would I have to go through?
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

Hawk200

Quote from: davedove on December 12, 2006, 04:10:53 PM
My own integration into the squadron was pretty self directed.  The basic direction I got was:

1.  You  want to be a member?  Great, fill out this application and mail it in.
2.  Your membership application was accepted?  Great, how would you like to do personnel?
3.  Okay, you're the Personnel Officer.  Let us know if you need anything.

That was basically it.  I did get introduced to most of the officers.  One of our senior officers did help me get my Level I and some communications classes.  Everything else had to research myself.

If I wanted to rewrite this as a CAP Pamphlet, what steps would I have to go through?

Just out of curiousity, were you recruited, or did you see something on CAP and decided to join?

Lancer

Quote from: davedove on December 12, 2006, 04:10:53 PM
My own integration into the squadron was pretty self directed. 

Same here. Which personally I didn't mind, for a number of reasons. The first being the fact that I used to be a cadet years ago and was familiar with the organization. Second is that I'm pretty astute when it comes to finding information, especially on line. Heck I had all the information about the new Level 1 course reviewed before any of the other s'members knew there was a new Level 1.

I think there should be more emphasis put on new member orientation, but to varying degrees obviously. A lot should be left to discretion of the leadership of the squadron. Maybe a questionnaire could be generated and a simple 'sit down' can cover any new member concerns. Task a seasoned member to act as a POC for newbie questions and concerns and the like for each new member.

I liked some of the principals discussed by Midway Six on his blog regarding having a 'Wingman', especially at the cadet level, and if the squadron is large enough and able to support this type of interaction at the adult officer level, to practice it there as well.

For me being a new member of the squadron, my first priority was doing everthing I could to start helping out, but at the same time, making sure I didn't step on any toes in the process.

davedove

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 12, 2006, 04:47:37 PM
Just out of curiousity, were you recruited, or did you see something on CAP and decided to join?

Since I got a new position a few years ago and my commuting time was cut drastically (3 miles across town as opposed to 45 miles down the I270 parking lot into DC), I was looking for somewhere to volunteer some time.  I have been (and still am) associated with the military as first, Army enlisted, then Army civilian for over twenty years, so I liked the psuedo-military nature of CAP.  I checked it out online and connected with the Squadron Commander.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

floridacyclist

I'm trying to get the Squadron CC and DCC to institute a formal mentoring program so that incoming newbies can have someone to walk them through the confusing parts until they get a clue of their own. In my mind, such a program would formally assign a 2nd or 1st Lt (or C/A1C or C/SrAmn for cadets)  to an incoming member and they would exchange al contact info. Any questions the new person had would go through their mentor, who if they did not know the answer would look it up. This relationship would last until the new member had completed certain milestones, decided on in advance....such as their 1st promotion, earning their GES, etc etc. and it would be a formal responsibility. Not only would this give a new person a known POC for everything CAP, but the mentor would grow and learn too, not only by having to answer the newbie's questions, but also from the taste of leadeship they are getting with just one person under them. So far, I'm not actively meeting with resistance, more of an overall apathy.

Thoughts?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Psicorp

Quote from: floridacyclist on December 12, 2006, 06:59:53 PM
I'm trying to get the Squadron CC and DCC to institute a formal mentoring program so that incoming newbies can have someone to walk them through the confusing parts until they get a clue of their own. In my mind, such a program would formally assign a 2nd or 1st Lt (or C/A1C or C/SrAmn for cadets)  to an incoming member and they would exchange al contact info. Any questions the new person had would go through their mentor, who if they did not know the answer would look it up. This relationship would last until the new member had completed certain milestones, decided on in advance....such as their 1st promotion, earning their GES, etc etc. and it would be a formal responsibility. Not only would this give a new person a known POC for everything CAP, but the mentor would grow and learn too, not only by having to answer the newbie's questions, but also from the taste of leadeship they are getting with just one person under them. So far, I'm not actively meeting with resistance, more of an overall apathy.

Thoughts?

Excellent idea, sir.  Careful selection of your mentors would be essential, people who have been around a while and have their collective assets together.   I've found myself being one of our unofficial mentors.  I think it's needed and it definately helps alleviate some pressure off the upper staff members, they have other things to be concerned with.  I would like to see some sort of Officer Candidate School though.  I have a feeling that I passed it up through the chain the answer I'd get would be, "Sounds good, let me know what resources you need, Project Officer."
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Hawk200

Quote from: davedove on December 12, 2006, 05:37:58 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on December 12, 2006, 04:47:37 PM

Since I got a new position a few years ago and my commuting time was cut drastically (3 miles across town as opposed to 45 miles down the I270 parking lot into DC), I was looking for somewhere to volunteer some time.  I have been (and still am) associated with the military as first, Army enlisted, then Army civilian for over twenty years, so I liked the psuedo-military nature of CAP.  I checked it out online and connected with the Squadron Commander.

The only reason I asked is that you should have been helped far more. Personally, I consider it irresponsible for any unit to just dump a position on someone, and then let them be.

It sounds like your prior military and civil service probably helped you get up to speed a lot faster. Not to mention your willingness to volunteer in the first place.

I'm a personnel officer myself, and when I was first assigned as one, I thought it would be fairly simple. I realize now how complex the personnel system can be. It's not as easy as some people think.

davedove

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 12, 2006, 08:55:16 PM
The only reason I asked is that you should have been helped far more. Personally, I consider it irresponsible for any unit to just dump a position on someone, and then let them be.

It sounds like your prior military and civil service probably helped you get up to speed a lot faster. Not to mention your willingness to volunteer in the first place.

I'm a personnel officer myself, and when I was first assigned as one, I thought it would be fairly simple. I realize now how complex the personnel system can be. It's not as easy as some people think.

The only real training I got was what I pulled from the regs and manuals, plus helpful advice from boards such as this one.  You're right, my government experience did help a lot with the "military speak" of the regs.

I quickly discovered that if you want to get something out of CAP, you have to go after it yourself.  I'm trying to change that slowly in my squadron by doing such things as making the other members aware of training opportunities.

To be fair, we've got a pretty good Cadet Program, and Emergency Services Program.  It's just the senior member development that is (or was) haphazard.  I'm trying to improve that (hence my being "volunteered" to be Professional Development Officer as well.)  ::)
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

ZigZag911

Quote from: floridacyclist on December 12, 2006, 06:59:53 PM

Thoughts?

Have you tried a written proposal?  With details such as who'll oversee it, who'll pick the mentors, who will train them?

floridacyclist

No, maybe I should. I kind of thought that the DCC and CC agreeing that it would happen and telling the cadet Commander to make it so would have been sufficient.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

ZigZag911

Quote from: floridacyclist on December 12, 2006, 11:40:37 PM
No, maybe I should. I kind of thought that the DCC and CC agreeing that it would happen and telling the cadet Commander to make it so would have been sufficient.

Never, ever, ever assume!

TDHenderson

In Iowa, we have started to divide up the Officer Candidates in our 6-month OTS program into Flights.  Each Flight is assigned a Flight Commander, usually a 2d or 1st Lt who has been through the OTS program already, to be that mentor and guide for the first 6 months and after. 

So far it seems to be working out very well.

RogueLeader

One thing that looks like-in my opinoion- is to ensure that all new members- Cadets and Seniors alike, know the proper way to communicate with others in CAP.  I've had a new SM talk in a pretty negative way in an email to me.  I'm letting the sq/cc handel it, but I think it neesds to be addressed on the whole.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340