Is It Possible To Be A Member In Two Squadrons ?

Started by exFlight Officer, October 04, 2010, 06:15:56 AM

Eclipse

Cadets do not "start" or "run" squadrons.

If they are allowed to have the impression of either, the seniors involved are doing it wrong.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Yes, I am a cadet.
Eclipse: No, but a Lt Col who also lives in my area and also has to drive a goodly number of miles to the nearest squadron would certainly help me. And the big metal '30' on one of his ribbons contributes to the assumption he knows what he's doing; plus, I know him personally and he does.

I could easily get two more seniors. There are just a number of complications. I'm not sure if it's worth it or not- no reason to waste people's money and have it die.

I know I can't start the squadron, but I can certainly contribute, drive, and push to help make it happen. Cadets are kinda valuable when they get a fire lit under their six about something :D

Anyway, glad we cleared up the OP.

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on October 11, 2010, 08:12:42 PM
Cadets are kinda valuable when they get a fire lit under their six about something :D
This also applies to activities outside of CAP.  ;)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

a2capt

A cadet was very instrumental in starting a unit in this local area too. Certainly not unheard of.

In a sense, the unit may not have existed without that fire lit under someones posterior, driven either by themselves or externally, thats what it takes and it certainly can be said that if that person had not stood up to the task and kept that ball rolling, that unit might not exist. Sure, someone would/could have- but thats the point. Someone. Could be a cadet, could be a senior member. Sure, it takes senior members to sign for it. But cadets can do an awful lot of the footwork too.

Eclipse

There is nothing wrong with a cadet being the impetus of a new unit, the issue is that if a cadet is defacto in charge and is dragging 3 seniors kicking and screaming to fulfill the charter requirements, then the guidance, leadership, and occasional leash needed on "spirit" will be non-existent, leading to what we refer to as a "problem".

The likelihood of the unit living on past the initial cadre is slim as well.

Cadets are, by design, supposed to be immersed in the learning and experience of followership, not the minutia and pressure of running a unit.  They should be able to show up and "do" for most, if not all, of their cadet careers.  If that can't be provided locally, perhaps CAP is not the best choice in that area.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Lt Col was the one who actually suggested it... I want to do it, with his support, but I don't know that it will be viable. Multitudes of reasons- therefor, I am not pursuing it.

Erm... Lt Col would definitely be in charge.

I think that covers it- I don't think you were specifically addressing my situation, but just to clear the air.