Main Menu

Beer Pong as a DDR Tool...

Started by BrandonKea, June 04, 2009, 04:51:40 AM

NIN

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 04, 2009, 04:24:37 PM
If they can find a way to create a squadron bar and exclude cadinks and underage seniors...  ;D

We have one. You don't?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: NIN on June 04, 2009, 04:35:51 PM

We have one. You don't?

If you wanna count our obligatory apres-CAP watering hole at a local restaurant as our 'unofficial' o-club... ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Always Ready

So I sent this to one of my friends (former AF SP) who used to run DARE back before computers were in my first elementary school :o :D Anyways, his response was to immediately call me up and say a bunch of cusswords about DARE/DDR-type programs and how "they are trying hard to come up with new material to keep kids interested but failing on an epic scale". He was surprised CAP, as a whole, hasn't had a stand down or something because of this.

Fairly recently some of my former cadets had to sit through a DDR class put on by a friend of mine (who is very dull to begin with). They said the DDR class made them want to "Do Drugs Repeatedly!" :D

NIN

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 04, 2009, 05:00:05 PM
Quote from: NIN on June 04, 2009, 04:35:51 PM

We have one. You don't?

If you wanna count our obligatory apres-CAP watering hole at a local restaurant as our 'unofficial' o-club... ;D

We have three O-Clubs: The O-Club West (the Legion), the O-Club East (Dunkin's) and the O-Club Dining Room (Friendly's). :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

Where I am in Central CA, we have abandoned DARE.  We now do career days though out the grades showing kids at an early age, and up through High School what careers are out there, what the requirements are, and what you can do to screw yourself out of ever getting that job you want.  Everything from local businesses, to the military recruiters, to Fire, EMS and Law Enforcement, you name it.  I dont really see the Beer Pong thing as a good idea.  I think someone meant well but didn't use sound judgement.

EMT-83

Quote from: Always Ready on June 04, 2009, 06:33:08 PM
So I sent this to one of my friends (former AF SP) who used to run DARE back before computers were in my first elementary school :o :D Anyways, his response was to Fairly recently some of my former cadets had to sit through a DDR class put on by a friend of mine (who is very dull to begin with). They said the DDR class made them want to "Do Drugs Repeatedly!" :D

I was never any good at sexual harassment until I attended the mandatory training.

Flying Pig

HAAAAAAA....I just blew soda out of my nose! :clap:

JohnKachenmeister

When the police department sent me to "Sensitivity Training" I learned a whole bunch of new racial slurs that I had never heard before.

Thanks, Chief!
Another former CAP officer

notaNCO forever

I remember in a safety briefing having a senior member describe how to huff paint as part of his anti drug talk. CAP also had a poster about drugs that seemed to list all the benefits of doing them and not the negatives.

RiverAux

You guys missed the point entirely.  By learning the proper way to play and practicing at CAP meetings, our cadets are learning HOW TO WIN at beer pong, and those that win, don't drink!  So, we are reducing the overall amount of drinking done by our cadets.  Simple. 

Eclipse

I missed that, too!

That way they can be Pallbearers instead of passengers!

"That Others May Zoom"

MikeD

Quote from: a2capt on June 04, 2009, 02:51:02 PM
* a2capt feels left out.

.. I never played beer pong. Maybe I better read the article just to confirm it is what I think it is ..  the ball, if it goes on the floor, etc- and falls in a cup, you drink it?

I guess if you are drunk.. it doesn't matter. But.. yuck. ;-)

Both teams have a full cup of water used to wash off the ball if it lands on the floor.
At least that's how I've always played it at school and how we play out here.  That said I'm amazed that a) they have the rules, complete with a diagram, and b) they have them slightly wrong (who plays with only one rerack?).

Even given that my last game was last weekend, I think doing this for cadets as a DDR activity is a really bad idea. 

What Flying Pig said about his squadron really makes a lot more sense then a typical DDR activity.

I'm almost wondering if it might be better to have a couple of SM's over 21 get super drunk in front of the cadets so they can see what kind of stupid stuff booze makes you do?  That at least can't be much worse then teaching them beer pong?

Can I get DDR funding to tour around and give my "There's a time and a place for everything and it's called college!" presentation? 

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 04, 2009, 04:51:40 AM
In the latest issue of the DDR Newsletter (http://www.capnhq.gov/news/DDR_Apr_May_2009_Newsletter.pdf) there is an article that talks about how a squadron showed their members the dangers of playing Beer Pong by playing "several rounds of "Beer Pong", using of course water instead of beer in the cups."

Does that strike anyone else as.... odd?

Yes that is odd. When encourage the game if you don't want them doing it in the first place?

Wright Brothers #13915

Rotorhead

Quote from: MikeD on June 05, 2009, 03:28:43 AM
Quote from: a2capt on June 04, 2009, 02:51:02 PM
* a2capt feels left out.

.. I never played beer pong. Maybe I better read the article just to confirm it is what I think it is ..  the ball, if it goes on the floor, etc- and falls in a cup, you drink it?

I guess if you are drunk.. it doesn't matter. But.. yuck. ;-)
I'm almost wondering if it might be better to have a couple of SM's over 21 get super drunk in front of the cadets so they can see what kind of stupid stuff booze makes you do?  That at least can't be much worse then teaching them beer pong?

Nope, drunk people are frequently amusing to sober observers.

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

BrandonKea

Nobody is saying you can't amuse the Cadets in teaching them DDR, but this is straight up ENABLING them.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BTCS1*

Nothing more ammusing than seeing your command staff wasted! Don't forget the DDR officer! LOL
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 05, 2009, 04:55:04 AM
Nothing more ammusing than seeing your command staff wasted! Don't forget the DDR officer! LOL

That would be pretty funny.  ;D

Wright Brothers #13915

Chief2009

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 05, 2009, 04:55:04 AM
Nothing more amusing than seeing your command staff wasted!

WIWAC, I went to a wing conference and at the formal dinner, saw several higher ranking wing staff who were very inebriated. I have never understood why they even have bars at events where cadets will be attending when we're supposed to be teaching them not to use drugs/alcohol.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

NIN

Quote from: notaNCO forever on June 04, 2009, 09:41:48 PM
I remember in a safety briefing having a senior member describe how to huff paint as part of his anti drug talk. CAP also had a poster about drugs that seemed to list all the benefits of doing them and not the negatives.

Is it sad that I was 21 years old and in the Army before I understood what "huffing" was?

Guy I knew in the Army had a video of a roommate huffing glue. I'm watching this and I say to my buddy "What the hell is he doing?"  My buddy says "He's 'huffing' glue.."  I said "Really? That's how you do it? I had no clue!"  And I truly didn't.  I grew up in the era where our model airplane glue had to have that nasty "orange peel" smell added to it to discourage inhalation. I always envisioned people "sniffing glue" as jamming the tube up their nose or something. I didn't care: I just wanted to build my model kits w/o that nasty smell..

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

pixelwonk