Beer Pong as a DDR Tool...

Started by BrandonKea, June 04, 2009, 04:51:40 AM

BrandonKea

In the latest issue of the DDR Newsletter (http://www.capnhq.gov/news/DDR_Apr_May_2009_Newsletter.pdf) there is an article that talks about how a squadron showed their members the dangers of playing Beer Pong by playing "several rounds of “Beer Pong”, using of course water instead of beer in the cups."

Does that strike anyone else as.... odd?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Westernslope

BrandonKea

Quote from: Westernslope on June 04, 2009, 05:16:49 AM
Not if you read the article.

I did read the article. I think it's a bit much to go so far as to teach the cadets how to play beer pong. There's a difference between that and doing something like having someone come in with those "beer goggles" that simulate what your vision becomes as you're intoxicated.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Always Ready

<rant>I can't believe a squadron would go as far as to teach a drinking game to underage cadets. This crosses a line IMO. While I think it is a fun game, and as the article pointed out so did the cadets, I don't think teaching anyone a fun way of doing something possibly dangerous and illegal is going to steer them away from it. If anything, it is going to steer them towards it.

Why do most college students who drink play beer pong and other drinking games? Not because they want a hangover in the morning, but because it is fun. Almost every high school and college student has had to sit through DARE and countless other classes that teach us the dangers of excessive alcohol consumption (which this article emphasized as the point of this exercise). How does teaching a fun method of doing something possibly dangerous to a bunch of 12-20 year olds help the solve the problem? Especially since most of them won't pay attention to the dangers part when they can focus on having fun. </rant>

BTW-Whenever I have played beer pong, the cups had water in them too...

Eclipse

Not to mention the fact that we now have a publicly available photo of a senior and cadet playing beer pong in uniform.

Kids don't need to be introduced to the culture of alcohol, they need to be steered away from it.

"Where'd you learn to play Beer Pong so great?"

"CAP!"

"That Others May Zoom"

BrandonKea

Quote from: Eclipse on June 04, 2009, 06:20:11 AM
Not to mention the fact that we now have a publicly available photo of a senior and cadet playing beer pong in uniform.

Kids don't need to be introduced to the culture of alcohol, they need to be steered away from it.

"Where'd you learn to play Beer Pong so great?"

"CAP!"

That was my very first thought. That picture doesn't show water in the cups, it shows a Cadet and a Senior Member, playing beer pong.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Gunner C

There is so much about DDR that is just plain strange.  I've been to several DDR activities.  The stuff is "cute" but not very relevant.  I think it's just a vehicle to use AF money. 

The DDR advisor at national has a full sized pickup truck with a "cadet wrap" paint job.  I believe she still tows a trailer and spends a GREAT DEAL of money going around the country. 

I don't see this as a program that's making a large impact on cadets.  Sure, they get to play with the beer goggles and see how they're impaired, but then they go downstairs to the SM area at the wing conference and watch their role models drinking beer.

Showing them how to play beer pong is just another strange DDR activity.

AlphaSigOU

What the...  ???

I guess Quarters, Thumper and Slush Fund are next... oy gevalt!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Pumbaa

We are planning on having a chug-a-lug demonstration.  Also Jell-O shots and of course we are bringing in some strippers so we can do belly button shots, with the Lime and salt lick too!

Of course we won't be using Vodka, Tequila, or beer... But I really want my cadets to have fun fun fun while learning DDR.

BrandonKea

Also included is a "Mocktail" recipe for an Arnold Palmer. That was before the Beer Pong Article

C'mon DDR...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 04, 2009, 12:01:12 PM
Also included is a "Mocktail" recipe for an Arnold Palmer. That was before the Beer Pong Article

C'mon DDR...

YGBSM! They musta run out of ideas...
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Big_Ed

I've always thought DDR in CAP was a bit redundant. 

Isn't the CAP a DDR program as a whole?

My $.02
Edgar R. Flick, Lt. Colonel, CAP
Emergency Services Training Officer,
Pennsylvania Wing/NERPA001
Member since 1977

Pumbaa

Another thing we plan to do when school is back in session for our DDR.

We have a local university that is know to hold GREAT drinking parties.  We are going to bring our cadets to the party and have them wear beer goggles.  They will walk around and participate in the party sans drinking. 

Of course the college students will be doing their thing.  You know the girls stripping off, the special displays and activities they are want to perform.

This way our cadets can get an idea of what it is like at a college party.

I mean they are learning about beer pong why not this?

Any objections?

a2capt

* a2capt feels left out.

.. I never played beer pong. Maybe I better read the article just to confirm it is what I think it is ..  the ball, if it goes on the floor, etc- and falls in a cup, you drink it?

I guess if you are drunk.. it doesn't matter. But.. yuck. ;-)

Pumbaa

To me there is a sanitary way to play beer pong.  Use water in the cups, you don't drink out of those (the ball goes in), but your own chugging cup.

We did the same thing with playing quarters.  The quarter cup was filled with water.  When someone had to chug, we filled their personal cup fresh and they chugged.

[Inappropriate content removed.]

DBlair

I just read the article an I'm still not really sure how it is possible to justify the idea of teaching them to play beer pong. Most of that newsletter seems to be misguided- beer pong? mocktails? This only promotes to them how tasty alcoholic beverages can be (re: mocktails) and how binge drinking (re: beer pong) is fun and what they have to look forward to in high school and college parties. No matter how they may try to justify this, it is a bad idea.

I get the idea that DDR is one of those programs in place just for the sake of saying that there is a DDR program and as a method of getting more money from the government, without much in regards to substance or results.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Pumbaa

DBlair you mean my parties, playing quarters and such is not such a good idea to do at squadron?

Darn, there goes the dorm parties atthe local university!

AlphaSigOU

If they can find a way to create a squadron bar and exclude cadinks and underage seniors...  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

I'd say this clearly falls into the "It seemed like a good idea at the time..." category.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Pumbaa on June 04, 2009, 11:58:51 AM
We are planning on having a chug-a-lug demonstration.  Also Jell-O shots and of course we are bringing in some strippers so we can do belly button shots, with the Lime and salt lick too!

Of course we won't be using Vodka, Tequila, or beer... But I really want my cadets to have fun fun fun while learning DDR.

Admit it: You got that from my squadron. 

I love being a trend setter!

(of course, my recruiting and retention secrets are out now!)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 04, 2009, 04:24:37 PM
If they can find a way to create a squadron bar and exclude cadinks and underage seniors...  ;D

We have one. You don't?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: NIN on June 04, 2009, 04:35:51 PM

We have one. You don't?

If you wanna count our obligatory apres-CAP watering hole at a local restaurant as our 'unofficial' o-club... ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Always Ready

So I sent this to one of my friends (former AF SP) who used to run DARE back before computers were in my first elementary school :o :D Anyways, his response was to immediately call me up and say a bunch of cusswords about DARE/DDR-type programs and how "they are trying hard to come up with new material to keep kids interested but failing on an epic scale". He was surprised CAP, as a whole, hasn't had a stand down or something because of this.

Fairly recently some of my former cadets had to sit through a DDR class put on by a friend of mine (who is very dull to begin with). They said the DDR class made them want to "Do Drugs Repeatedly!" :D

NIN

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 04, 2009, 05:00:05 PM
Quote from: NIN on June 04, 2009, 04:35:51 PM

We have one. You don't?

If you wanna count our obligatory apres-CAP watering hole at a local restaurant as our 'unofficial' o-club... ;D

We have three O-Clubs: The O-Club West (the Legion), the O-Club East (Dunkin's) and the O-Club Dining Room (Friendly's). :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Flying Pig

Where I am in Central CA, we have abandoned DARE.  We now do career days though out the grades showing kids at an early age, and up through High School what careers are out there, what the requirements are, and what you can do to screw yourself out of ever getting that job you want.  Everything from local businesses, to the military recruiters, to Fire, EMS and Law Enforcement, you name it.  I dont really see the Beer Pong thing as a good idea.  I think someone meant well but didn't use sound judgement.

EMT-83

Quote from: Always Ready on June 04, 2009, 06:33:08 PM
So I sent this to one of my friends (former AF SP) who used to run DARE back before computers were in my first elementary school :o :D Anyways, his response was to Fairly recently some of my former cadets had to sit through a DDR class put on by a friend of mine (who is very dull to begin with). They said the DDR class made them want to "Do Drugs Repeatedly!" :D

I was never any good at sexual harassment until I attended the mandatory training.

Flying Pig

HAAAAAAA....I just blew soda out of my nose! :clap:

JohnKachenmeister

When the police department sent me to "Sensitivity Training" I learned a whole bunch of new racial slurs that I had never heard before.

Thanks, Chief!
Another former CAP officer

notaNCO forever

I remember in a safety briefing having a senior member describe how to huff paint as part of his anti drug talk. CAP also had a poster about drugs that seemed to list all the benefits of doing them and not the negatives.

RiverAux

You guys missed the point entirely.  By learning the proper way to play and practicing at CAP meetings, our cadets are learning HOW TO WIN at beer pong, and those that win, don't drink!  So, we are reducing the overall amount of drinking done by our cadets.  Simple. 

Eclipse

I missed that, too!

That way they can be Pallbearers instead of passengers!

"That Others May Zoom"

MikeD

Quote from: a2capt on June 04, 2009, 02:51:02 PM
* a2capt feels left out.

.. I never played beer pong. Maybe I better read the article just to confirm it is what I think it is ..  the ball, if it goes on the floor, etc- and falls in a cup, you drink it?

Both teams have a full cup of water used to wash off the ball if it lands on the floor.
At least that's how I've always played it at school and how we play out here.  That said I'm amazed that a) they have the rules, complete with a diagram, and b) they have them slightly wrong (who plays with only one rerack?).

Even given that my last game was last weekend, I think doing this for cadets as a DDR activity is a really bad idea. 

What Flying Pig said about his squadron really makes a lot more sense then a typical DDR activity.

I'm almost wondering if it might be better to have a couple of SM's over 21 get super drunk in front of the cadets so they can see what kind of stupid stuff booze makes you do?  That at least can't be much worse then teaching them beer pong?

Can I get DDR funding to tour around and give my "There's a time and a place for everything and it's called college!" presentation? 

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 04, 2009, 04:51:40 AM
In the latest issue of the DDR Newsletter (http://www.capnhq.gov/news/DDR_Apr_May_2009_Newsletter.pdf) there is an article that talks about how a squadron showed their members the dangers of playing Beer Pong by playing "several rounds of "Beer Pong", using of course water instead of beer in the cups."

Does that strike anyone else as.... odd?

Yes that is odd. When encourage the game if you don't want them doing it in the first place?

Wright Brothers #13915

Rotorhead

Quote from: MikeD on June 05, 2009, 03:28:43 AM
Quote from: a2capt on June 04, 2009, 02:51:02 PM
* a2capt feels left out.

I'm almost wondering if it might be better to have a couple of SM's over 21 get super drunk in front of the cadets so they can see what kind of stupid stuff booze makes you do?  That at least can't be much worse then teaching them beer pong?

Nope, drunk people are frequently amusing to sober observers.

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

BrandonKea

Nobody is saying you can't amuse the Cadets in teaching them DDR, but this is straight up ENABLING them.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BTCS1*

Nothing more ammusing than seeing your command staff wasted! Don't forget the DDR officer! LOL
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 05, 2009, 04:55:04 AM
Nothing more ammusing than seeing your command staff wasted! Don't forget the DDR officer! LOL

That would be pretty funny.  ;D

Wright Brothers #13915

Chief2009

Nothing more amusing than seeing your command staff wasted!

WIWAC, I went to a wing conference and at the formal dinner, saw several higher ranking wing staff who were very inebriated. I have never understood why they even have bars at events where cadets will be attending when we're supposed to be teaching them not to use drugs/alcohol.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

NIN

Quote from: notaNCO forever on June 04, 2009, 09:41:48 PM
I remember in a safety briefing having a senior member describe how to huff paint as part of his anti drug talk. CAP also had a poster about drugs that seemed to list all the benefits of doing them and not the negatives.

Is it sad that I was 21 years old and in the Army before I understood what "huffing" was?

Guy I knew in the Army had a video of a roommate huffing glue. I'm watching this and I say to my buddy "What the hell is he doing?"  My buddy says "He's 'huffing' glue.."  I said "Really? That's how you do it? I had no clue!"  And I truly didn't.  I grew up in the era where our model airplane glue had to have that nasty "orange peel" smell added to it to discourage inhalation. I always envisioned people "sniffing glue" as jamming the tube up their nose or something. I didn't care: I just wanted to build my model kits w/o that nasty smell..

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

pixelwonk

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Chief2009 on June 06, 2009, 05:13:15 AM
Nothing more amusing than seeing your command staff wasted!

WIWAC, I went to a wing conference and at the formal dinner, saw several higher ranking wing staff who were very inebriated. I have never understood why they even have bars at events where cadets will be attending when we're supposed to be teaching them not to use drugs/alcohol.

DN

Advocating complete abstinence has been a spectacular failure on a number of fronts.  Cadets will absolutely be confronted with alcohol related decisions as they grow older.  Prepare them for that instead of a fantasy future free of alcohol.

We shouldn't glamorize alcohol use, but we shouldn't paint it as the worst evil since Satan either.  Cadets will eventually realize we made it look worse than it is, at which point they may disregard the entire DDR message.  Save the "though shalt not" statements for the really scary stuff and teach RESPONSIBILITY on everything else.  Of course DDR messages need to be age appropriate.  I have very different conversations with my 18 year old son as compared to my 13 year old daughter.

Practicing drinking games as a CAP activity?  FAIL.
Leaders getting drunk in view of cadets?  FAIL.  Bye bye CAP membership.
Teaching responsible behavior in the real world?  GOOD FOR YOU.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Climbnsink

There was some freshmen at Dartmouth last year practicing beer pong with water last year.  I guess there are stiff penalties for alcohol in the dorms so they were training in the dorms with water.  College made a big stink.  Whole thing is just sad/funny.

Spike

Quote from: Chief2009 on June 06, 2009, 05:13:15 AM
I have never understood why they even have bars at events where cadets will be attending when we're supposed to be teaching them not to use drugs/alcohol.

Is that what we are supposed to be getting across?  "Don't drink alcohol"

How about "Don't drink alcohol until you are old enough.....and then do it responsibly".  Our society is so bent on saying "don't drink until your 21", but we don't have anything about drinking responsibly when we turn 21.

Most if not all people learn about drinking responsibly from the "Surgeon Generals warning" on the back of the bottle of booze these days.  That is a huge FAIL on the part of Alcohol Education.

Alcohol is not the "BIG Evil" we are supposed to be telling our kids/ Cadets. 

As far as Beer Pong as a teaching tool for DDR..........Someone needs fired over that.

That is like passing around the crack pipe but telling them not to inhale.

Gunner C

Personally, I don't want anyone telling my kids that it's OK to drink alcohol after 21, either.  It's not CAP's job to teach lifestyle decisions to my children, or anyone else's for that matter - that's my job.

To say that exposing the cadets to drinking, responsibly or otherwise, teaches them that drinking responsibly after 21 is a good mentoring style is a good idea is just strange.  7.4 percent, or approximately 14 million Americans, experience alcohol abuse or alcohol dependence.  7 percent of those who wait to consume alcohol until 21 will become alcoholics. That's pretty crummy odds.

When we have booze at CAP functions, it tells the cadets that it's part of becoming successful.  In fact, in the RM, alcohol is being frowned upon - where getting a buzz on at a unit party was part of the deal before, it is now a no-no.  In fact, if you're seen having more than one drink, your commander will probably have a talk with you.  Sodas are now served at many functions.

jb512

I am sooo there....

flyerthom

Don't tell Colgan that Vegas has subverted all of CAP  >:D
TC

Eclipse

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:12:56 PM
Is that what we are supposed to be getting across?  "Don't drink alcohol"

How about "Don't drink alcohol until you are old enough.....and then do it responsibly".  Our society is so bent on saying "don't drink until your 21", but we don't have anything about drinking responsibly when we turn 21.

Most if not all people learn about drinking responsibly from the "Surgeon Generals warning" on the back of the bottle of booze these days.  That is a huge FAIL on the part of Alcohol Education.

Alcohol is not the "BIG Evil" we are supposed to be telling our kids/ Cadets. 

"Don't drink alcohol" is fine with me.  I watched two parents drink themselves into an early grave, and I'd just as soon as not have my kids drink.  Ever.

It is not necessary for socialization, "loosening up", or any part of life.  Period. 

The fact that many on this board are capable of moderation doesn't mean we should simply accept it as a "given" part of life.  I am personally a tea-totaler, but not a prude.  A big night for me is a shot of Bailey's or Kahlua in my coffee, and then only for the taste.  I have no issue with my friends drinking, and they all know its BYOB at my parties (if they feel they must).  Somehow I have managed to eek my way through life in this manner.

This is what my children will see - alcohol is not "evil" or "verboten", its just not "necessary", nor should underage drinking or binge drinking be tolerated in any way.

This is akin to our schools essentially collapsing on the subject of abstinence before marriage in the spirit of "well the kids are going to do it anyway, etc., etc..."

"That Others May Zoom"

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 07, 2009, 01:30:33 AM

I am sooo there....

Thats worth a $500 plane ticket to fly out to your squadron.  ::)

Wright Brothers #13915