Beer Pong as a DDR Tool...

Started by BrandonKea, June 04, 2009, 04:51:40 AM

BrandonKea

In the latest issue of the DDR Newsletter (http://www.capnhq.gov/news/DDR_Apr_May_2009_Newsletter.pdf) there is an article that talks about how a squadron showed their members the dangers of playing Beer Pong by playing "several rounds of “Beer Pong”, using of course water instead of beer in the cups."

Does that strike anyone else as.... odd?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Westernslope

BrandonKea

Quote from: Westernslope on June 04, 2009, 05:16:49 AM
Not if you read the article.

I did read the article. I think it's a bit much to go so far as to teach the cadets how to play beer pong. There's a difference between that and doing something like having someone come in with those "beer goggles" that simulate what your vision becomes as you're intoxicated.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Always Ready

<rant>I can't believe a squadron would go as far as to teach a drinking game to underage cadets. This crosses a line IMO. While I think it is a fun game, and as the article pointed out so did the cadets, I don't think teaching anyone a fun way of doing something possibly dangerous and illegal is going to steer them away from it. If anything, it is going to steer them towards it.

Why do most college students who drink play beer pong and other drinking games? Not because they want a hangover in the morning, but because it is fun. Almost every high school and college student has had to sit through DARE and countless other classes that teach us the dangers of excessive alcohol consumption (which this article emphasized as the point of this exercise). How does teaching a fun method of doing something possibly dangerous to a bunch of 12-20 year olds help the solve the problem? Especially since most of them won't pay attention to the dangers part when they can focus on having fun. </rant>

BTW-Whenever I have played beer pong, the cups had water in them too...

Eclipse

Not to mention the fact that we now have a publicly available photo of a senior and cadet playing beer pong in uniform.

Kids don't need to be introduced to the culture of alcohol, they need to be steered away from it.

"Where'd you learn to play Beer Pong so great?"

"CAP!"

"That Others May Zoom"

BrandonKea

Quote from: Eclipse on June 04, 2009, 06:20:11 AM
Not to mention the fact that we now have a publicly available photo of a senior and cadet playing beer pong in uniform.

Kids don't need to be introduced to the culture of alcohol, they need to be steered away from it.

"Where'd you learn to play Beer Pong so great?"

"CAP!"

That was my very first thought. That picture doesn't show water in the cups, it shows a Cadet and a Senior Member, playing beer pong.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Gunner C

There is so much about DDR that is just plain strange.  I've been to several DDR activities.  The stuff is "cute" but not very relevant.  I think it's just a vehicle to use AF money. 

The DDR advisor at national has a full sized pickup truck with a "cadet wrap" paint job.  I believe she still tows a trailer and spends a GREAT DEAL of money going around the country. 

I don't see this as a program that's making a large impact on cadets.  Sure, they get to play with the beer goggles and see how they're impaired, but then they go downstairs to the SM area at the wing conference and watch their role models drinking beer.

Showing them how to play beer pong is just another strange DDR activity.

AlphaSigOU

What the...  ???

I guess Quarters, Thumper and Slush Fund are next... oy gevalt!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Pumbaa

We are planning on having a chug-a-lug demonstration.  Also Jell-O shots and of course we are bringing in some strippers so we can do belly button shots, with the Lime and salt lick too!

Of course we won't be using Vodka, Tequila, or beer... But I really want my cadets to have fun fun fun while learning DDR.

BrandonKea

Also included is a "Mocktail" recipe for an Arnold Palmer. That was before the Beer Pong Article

C'mon DDR...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 04, 2009, 12:01:12 PM
Also included is a "Mocktail" recipe for an Arnold Palmer. That was before the Beer Pong Article

C'mon DDR...

YGBSM! They musta run out of ideas...
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Big_Ed

I've always thought DDR in CAP was a bit redundant. 

Isn't the CAP a DDR program as a whole?

My $.02
Edgar R. Flick, Lt. Colonel, CAP
Emergency Services Training Officer,
Pennsylvania Wing/NERPA001
Member since 1977

Pumbaa

Another thing we plan to do when school is back in session for our DDR.

We have a local university that is know to hold GREAT drinking parties.  We are going to bring our cadets to the party and have them wear beer goggles.  They will walk around and participate in the party sans drinking. 

Of course the college students will be doing their thing.  You know the girls stripping off, the special displays and activities they are want to perform.

This way our cadets can get an idea of what it is like at a college party.

I mean they are learning about beer pong why not this?

Any objections?

a2capt

* a2capt feels left out.

.. I never played beer pong. Maybe I better read the article just to confirm it is what I think it is ..  the ball, if it goes on the floor, etc- and falls in a cup, you drink it?

I guess if you are drunk.. it doesn't matter. But.. yuck. ;-)

Pumbaa

To me there is a sanitary way to play beer pong.  Use water in the cups, you don't drink out of those (the ball goes in), but your own chugging cup.

We did the same thing with playing quarters.  The quarter cup was filled with water.  When someone had to chug, we filled their personal cup fresh and they chugged.

[Inappropriate content removed.]

DBlair

I just read the article an I'm still not really sure how it is possible to justify the idea of teaching them to play beer pong. Most of that newsletter seems to be misguided- beer pong? mocktails? This only promotes to them how tasty alcoholic beverages can be (re: mocktails) and how binge drinking (re: beer pong) is fun and what they have to look forward to in high school and college parties. No matter how they may try to justify this, it is a bad idea.

I get the idea that DDR is one of those programs in place just for the sake of saying that there is a DDR program and as a method of getting more money from the government, without much in regards to substance or results.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Pumbaa

DBlair you mean my parties, playing quarters and such is not such a good idea to do at squadron?

Darn, there goes the dorm parties atthe local university!

AlphaSigOU

If they can find a way to create a squadron bar and exclude cadinks and underage seniors...  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

I'd say this clearly falls into the "It seemed like a good idea at the time..." category.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Pumbaa on June 04, 2009, 11:58:51 AM
We are planning on having a chug-a-lug demonstration.  Also Jell-O shots and of course we are bringing in some strippers so we can do belly button shots, with the Lime and salt lick too!

Of course we won't be using Vodka, Tequila, or beer... But I really want my cadets to have fun fun fun while learning DDR.

Admit it: You got that from my squadron. 

I love being a trend setter!

(of course, my recruiting and retention secrets are out now!)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.