relationships with state government

Started by iowacap, April 26, 2006, 07:58:32 AM

iowacap

I started this thread to give everyone a heads up on what our wing has been doing. I am very proud to be a part of it as I have only been a member for about a year and a half. Take a look at this link http://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/2006/04/iowa_ag_shows_c.html I posted this somewhere else but I think it should be a heads up to other wings to possibly start looking at the possibilities with your state governments and see if this could be something that could help others. Like I said I'm proud to be a part of an awsome wing and possibly others could follow suit and would help CAP in other states become more of a role in state related missions.

Earhart1971

I agree with IOWA CAP and.......

This link for the CAP School Program has got some great information.

http://level2.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeID=5753

I went on a little interview today with a school official, and he just about started jumping up and down with joy as I explained the CAP Middle School Program.

He wants to create a Super Squadron.

mikeylikey

PA Wing has a model School Program in place in the Philadelphia School System right now.  It takes a lot of work and many volunteer hours to get the program up and running.  However, once it finally is in place, the teachers at the schools run the program, and it basically flies on its own.  From previous examples such as in Florida, they deviated from the plan and decided to match each school squadron with a "sister" squadron so that when summer rolls around, the cadets from the schools can still participate in activities. 
  In fact the School Initiative Officer, is paid by the City of Philadelphia to manage the program.  Right now, they are in the works to spread the school program to the other metro areas of the state as well.  I foresee the schools being a major player in the expansion of CAP in the very near future.
What's up monkeys?

fyrfitrmedic

A similar program was run on a trial basis in the city of Chester, Pennsylvania. The squadron was administered directly by PAWG and had no contact with other units in the area; as a result, students that were promoted out of middle school left CAP even though there was a viable squadron a short distance away within the city.

What are the plans for students in Philadelphia and elsewhere that are promoted out of middle school?
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

mikeylikey

Right now, plans are in the works to increase the number of Philadelphia High Schools carrying the program from 1 to 4 by next September.  Each cadet and their parents were given the name and contact information for the closest CAP squadron in the city.  They already have the "sister squadron" program up, and each "school cadet" is paired with a city squadron, and participates with them on weekend activities and such.  If I am not mistaken, around 45 or 50 percent of the "school cadets" have their encampment apps in.  BTW, the schools are paying for the cadets to go to encampment.  IT really is a neat program.  PA Wing is not just "ranger and hawk mountain" as most other posters have noted in previous threads.
What's up monkeys?

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 27, 2006, 06:35:20 PM
Right now, plans are in the works to increase the number of Philadelphia High Schools carrying the program from 1 to 4 by next September.  Each cadet and their parents were given the name and contact information for the closest CAP squadron in the city.  They already have the "sister squadron" program up, and each "school cadet" is paired with a city squadron, and participates with them on weekend activities and such.  If I am not mistaken, around 45 or 50 percent of the "school cadets" have their encampment apps in.  BTW, the schools are paying for the cadets to go to encampment.  IT really is a neat program.  PA Wing is not just "ranger and hawk mountain" as most other posters have noted in previous threads.

All of the above is good to hear; it seems that something was learned from past mistakes.

The PAWG-bashing and Hawk-bashing got old a long time ago, especially since the most prolific bashers seem to have little else to contribute.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Earhart1971

I have to say it, this program is moving at LIGHT SPEED.

It fills a huge need.

I really believe this will be the future for the Cadet Program, with several schools in local area, you could have 400 to 500 Cadets in the Program in a Metro area.

And that will draw Seniors back from burnout in a heartbeat.