Has CAP service ever been a factor in a political campaign?

Started by RiverAux, September 10, 2008, 11:59:13 PM

alamrcn

Quote from: Flying PigWhat Im saying is that if your a politician running for office, and the majority of your campaign add is pictures of you in a youth organization and talking about your dad and your husband.....you need to do a serious reassessment.

It looked to be a Patriotic theme ad, of which her CAP affiliation fit in well. If she was a farmer's daughter, grew up on a farm, married a farmer... Then created a political ad to appeal to the farming communittee, would you have the same opinion?

This was much better than the standard shots of Johnny Fencesitter speaking to a group of senior citizens (medicare and prescriptions), some old guys with VFW hats (vets, military), and a couple minority kids (education, welfare). Although, there was some of that in the last half of the commercial.

The three VERY QUICK photos were something different, and they would catch my attention as a patriot even if I wasn't in CAP - or even knew what it was.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

DNall

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on September 11, 2008, 05:13:43 PM
I look at it this way.

As an Eagle Scout and an Eaker recipient, I put both on my Resume along with my other personal achievements in life. It demonstrates a pattern of consistant reliability, dependability, and responsibility. It shows that I was a contributor to society from my youth and not a reformed bully.

Entirely appropriate on a resume!! I don't think anyone questions that. I have all kinds of CAP related stuff on my military resume. It helped me get my flight slot. That's absolutely related and legit.

Intentionally giving a false impression you're a real mil veteran when you're not is not cool. Citing cadet experience or eagle scout/etc from decades ago is more meaningless than bad form. Continued active involvement is a valid thing to mention. I doubt very much that many candidates do as much on a volunteer basis to serve their country/community as many CAP members. That's certainly worth noting, and is a valid campaign issue. It shouldn't be a cornerstone of your candidacy though.

SilverEagle2

So you are saying that as a current Senior Member as well as current Scoutmaster is more legit because it shows continued involvement.

So her credability is better if she continued after Spaatz and was a current participating SM?

I could buy into that.

Like I said, if part of a bigger FISH story, then I do not feel it is appropriate.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Flying Pig

CAP is fine on a resume.  It is on my resume, but its doesn't say anything about being a cadet.  I have a part where it mentions my flying and ES related training because it directly relates and I continue to be involved.  At this point in my life, nobody is concerned about what youth activities I was involved in 15 years ago.  If its all you have, then put it on, or if its relevant to your position your going for.  But when I look at a 30 something candidate/applicant for anything whether it be politics or a job, and I see youth activities you participated in many years earlier listed, Im going to really start scrutinizing your record.  Since its standard practice to NOT have your resume go beyond 2 pages, Its going to be looked at as padding you resume with fluff.  This woman we are discussing seems to be lagit.  And she went on to be a Microsoft Exec so Im sure CAP Cadet life in reality is either way down on her list if it is even mentioned on her professional resume.

Again, it needs to be time appropriate.  If your 20 years old, and left CAP at 18, then yes, it applies.  If your applying for National Commander, it applies.  But the farther behind you it gets, the less relevant your youth activities become.  A mid 30's political candidate/applicant, Id like to see a little more substance. Maybe its only here in CA.  But lately we seem to have A LOT of younger local politicians running on the coat tails of their parents/spouses accomplishments and its being noticed by the media out here.   Probably because they went on to college after High School and then spent the next 10 years as a paid staffer in Dad's office, now they want daddy's seat when he retires.

DNall

Again, my real concern with CAP members doing this is they don't understand the written and unwritten rules about the military doing this, nor are they subject to the negative societal pressures from the military community (other than lost votes) when they do it wrong. And with the uniform it's an issue.

It really is a very big constitutional issue for us that we not give the impression of the military - or by extension, anyone in the military - endorsing any candidate/position/party at any time for any reason.

As far as resumes... I think it's always appropriate to mention CAP for a couple key reasons. One is you want to cite some community/volunteer involvement just in general. But the other is you're probably going to have some times when you'd like to take off work for CAP related missions/activities/etc. It's good to be up front about that in the employment process. If the employer knows what they're getting into with it, a lot of times they'll be much more supportive down the road. Plus, if that whole conversation comes up it probably helps you get the job in most cases too.

D2SK

Don't ya'll have jobs, or lives or something even a little more important to do?

Sheesh.
Lighten up, Francis.

Flying Pig

I am happy to announce that yesterday I started 10 days of vacation.  So NO!  I dont have anything better to do.

DNall

I just signed papers to sell my house & waiting for the less than cheap labor to finish cutting back the trees as a freakin hurricane progresses toward rolling directly over my new place. I was thinking I'd save some energy for the next couple weeks of work  :P

Cecil DP

I recall meeting Darcy a few times. Once when she received the Cadet of the Year Award and later when she took her SLS in Massachusetts while she attended Harvard. She impressed me both times and if I lived in Seattle I would vote for her.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Major Carrales

Some of you folks are too much...

Today we operated a COMM center at CAP Station Corpus Christi in support of Hurricane IKE, we worked with other agencies and we had a cadet on the radio for a while and relaying info to those organizations.

That cadet did outstandingly well and was praised.  He represented CAP, and the value of the Cadet Program, very well.  If you folks can't see the potential of a well trained CADET that meets a higher standard or can't see that the CADET PROGRAM is meaningful enough to play a major role in the lives of the CADETS; then I think some of you have a low opinion of the CADETS.

After what I saw today...a cadet (under supervision, of course) making a difference; I think I am going to take any "put downs" of the CADET PROGRAM and treatment of CADETS as "second class in every way and just snot nosed kids" as an insult.

If this candidate was a shining example of what CAP can do for a person's development, why not place that on a resume? 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

NEBoom

Quote from: RiverAux on September 10, 2008, 11:59:13 PM
<snip> 

I was intrigued to see an interview (linked from the blog) done with Burner at the time in which she was quoted as saying:
QuoteI had some incredible opportunities as a Cadet that went far beyond what I (or anyone) would get at that age.

I was the executive officer of the Nebraska wing, which, as far as I know is an unprecedented thing, to have a Cadet fill a wing staff command position.
The only place I have heard of "Executive Officer" being used in association with CAP is at some wing cadet encampments.  I suppose having a cadet fill that position isn't totally outside the realm of possibility, though would definetely be unusual.  I can only assume that she didn't mean Wing Vice Commander.   

I can shed some light on this aspect of the discussion.  I was around the wing back in those days, and I remember Darcy well.  She did, in fact, serve as the "Wing Executive Officer" under (then) Colonel Rich Anderson who was the NEWG Commander at the time.  She was not the Vice Commander.

As to the video, the picture of the Air Force veteran toward the beginning is her father Ralph.  He is still an active member in CAP.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Johnny Yuma

OMFG, Darcy Gibbons.  Spaatz cadet outta NEWG. Been a long time since that name's been mentioned around NCR. She ran around with another blonde female cadet officer in NEWG practically everywhere I saw her/them.

I knew her from KSWG 88 encampment, IAWG Winter Rangers, a couple NCR activities. I thought then she was brilliant intellectually, but nuttier than a squirrel in a Planter's warehouse . From the looks of her campaign website nothing's changed.

That's right, she was NEWG XO for awhile.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

NEBoom

Edit -- The rest of the gang here probably doesn't want to read about NEWG/NCR Old Home Week.  Taking it to PM.  Sorry for the diversion.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

DNall

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 12, 2008, 02:03:35 AM
Some of you folks are too much...

Today we operated a COMM center at CAP Station Corpus Christi in support of Hurricane IKE, we worked with other agencies and we had a cadet on the radio for a while and relaying info to those organizations.

That cadet did outstandingly well and was praised.  He represented CAP, and the value of the Cadet Program, very well.  If you folks can't see the potential of a well trained CADET that meets a higher standard or can't see that the CADET PROGRAM is meaningful enough to play a major role in the lives of the CADETS; then I think some of you have a low opinion of the CADETS.

After what I saw today...a cadet (under supervision, of course) making a difference; I think I am going to take any "put downs" of the CADET PROGRAM and treatment of CADETS as "second class in every way and just snot nosed kids" as an insult.

If this candidate was a shining example of what CAP can do for a person's development, why not place that on a resume? 

I think you'll find everyone here has a very positive view of cadets & the program. However, that experience from 20 years ago is not germane as a qualification for public office as an adult. It has nothing to do with the cadet program being good or bad. Just like being a cop doesn't mean much 20 years after you quit doing it. Or being in the military in other than a time of war for that matter. A long military career &/or combat service is meaningful for a lifetime & does bear on qualification for office, as does long-term & continued service in CAP, though obviously less so.

notaNCO forever

As a cadet officer you can get good leadership experience and it teaches integrity, something most politicians need more of.

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on September 12, 2008, 07:55:44 PM
I think you'll find everyone here has a very positive view of cadets & the program. However, that experience from 20 years ago is not germane as a qualification for public office as an adult.

On the contrary, how one spends the developmental years is very germane to their service in public office.   Having obtained the SPAATZ Award is nothing to sneeze at.  It means that, even as a youth, the individual was, instead of playing videogames and taging building, was dedicated to a culture of community service.

Also, that they developed in an envrionment where they took an oath to "advance their education and training rapidly to prepare themselves to be of service to their Community, State and Nation."  Having completed the program to its end means that they accomplished that goal.  Placing a photo of them as a cadet in uniform on a slide show says much, much more than you people give it credit for.

QuoteJust like being a cop doesn't mean much 20 years after you quit doing it. Or being in the military in other than a time of war for that matter. A long military career &/or combat service is meaningful for a lifetime & does bear on qualification for office, as does long-term & continued service in CAP, though obviously less so.

That series of statmensts is so full of disingenuous twists and turns its left me dizzy.  Having been a policeman, placing ones life on the line to serve and protect, is a profound experience.  It most definately shapes ones life.  Ask any police officer here of their worth.

Your comments on peace time military service are somewhat insulting.  Simply put, dismissing service to make a point in such a cavelier manner is demeaning.  Putting down peacetime service, CAP service or Fire/Police Service is a mistake.    

Commander
SWR-TX-454

notaNCO forever

I don't think it would be a good idea to put a picture of yourself in a C.A.P. uniform when you are running for a political position because your opponent will try and twist it into something its not. I would however say something about it and the leadership skills you can gain if you go through the hole program.

Major Carrales

Quote from: NCO forever on September 12, 2008, 08:14:32 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea to put a picture of yourself in a C.A.P. uniform when you are running for a political position because your opponent will try and twist it into something its not. I would however say something about it and the leadership skills you can gain if you go through the hole program.

That is when you take the opportunity to educate the people in your constituency on what CAP is and what is its not.  There is no need to 'hide" CAP service because of the "identity crisis" some of us on this forum prepetuate. 

I think the time has come to really make a name, the proper name, for CAP.  That was the crux of the PAO academy I went to in Atlanta, Georgia.  However, instead of taking that message to the masses, people here instead chose to ridicule the new tag line and were far to caught up in the last major scandal to thing rationally.  However, that has past...maybe now you are all free to promote CAP for what it is?

Be more proud of what you are than ashamed of what you are not!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Could you Nebraska types please explain what the Nebraska Wing Executive Officer was if it wasn't the Vice Commander? 

DNall

Joe, I don't care what someone did in their youth. If we can dismiss college drug use by presidential candidates, and we should, then why does something like eagle scout or spaatz award really matter. It's nice, but it doesn't make them more capable than someone else. It doesn't say anything about their character NOW.

You can take it for what it's worth with the long ago police or non-war mil service. Again, it's nice, but it was a job you had one time back in the day. It may well shape a bit of who you are, but it's who you are, not how you got there, that makes the difference. Actually taking fire, maybe bleeding/killing/losing friends in the defense of your country is a whole different level. That's a sacrifice that remains relevant. It doesn't matter the degree to which it shaped you into what you are, it matters that you made a greater sacrifice than most people will ever do.