Has CAP service ever been a factor in a political campaign?

Started by RiverAux, September 10, 2008, 11:59:13 PM

RiverAux

As the very, very, very long presidential campaign has gone on I've often wondered whether or not candidates for elective office at any level have included their current or prior CAP service as part of their official biographies or campaign literature and whether or not it helped or hurt their campaign.

Well, my news alert caught this blog http://www.crosscut.com/blog/mossback/17550/When+Burner+was+Palin/ that discusses a 2006 Congressional candiate that included a photo of herself as a CAP cadet in her campaign literature and apparently was critisized by her opponents for making it seem like she was a veteran of some sort.  The candidate, Darcy Burner, is apparently a former Spaatz cadet and was national cadet of the year in 1989. 

While those aren't accomplishments to sneeze at, I'm not sure I would include such youth accomplishments in my campaign literature, though its not uncommon to hear of candidates being former Eagle Scouts. 

I was intrigued to see an interview (linked from the blog) done with Burner at the time in which she was quoted as saying:
QuoteI had some incredible opportunities as a Cadet that went far beyond what I (or anyone) would get at that age.

I was the executive officer of the Nebraska wing, which, as far as I know is an unprecedented thing, to have a Cadet fill a wing staff command position.
The only place I have heard of "Executive Officer" being used in association with CAP is at some wing cadet encampments.  I suppose having a cadet fill that position isn't totally outside the realm of possibility, though would definetely be unusual.  I can only assume that she didn't mean Wing Vice Commander.   

DC

Quote from: RiverAux on September 10, 2008, 11:59:13 PM
As the very, very, very long presidential campaign has gone on I've often wondered whether or not candidates for elective office at any level have included their current or prior CAP service as part of their official biographies or campaign literature and whether or not it helped or hurt their campaign.

Well, my news alert caught this blog http://www.crosscut.com/blog/mossback/17550/When+Burner+was+Palin/ that discusses a 2006 Congressional candiate that included a photo of herself as a CAP cadet in her campaign literature and apparently was critisized by her opponents for making it seem like she was a veteran of some sort.  The candidate, Darcy Burner, is apparently a former Spaatz cadet and was national cadet of the year in 1989. 

While those aren't accomplishments to sneeze at, I'm not sure I would include such youth accomplishments in my campaign literature, though its not uncommon to hear of candidates being former Eagle Scouts. 

I was intrigued to see an interview (linked from the blog) done with Burner at the time in which she was quoted as saying:
QuoteI had some incredible opportunities as a Cadet that went far beyond what I (or anyone) would get at that age.

I was the executive officer of the Nebraska wing, which, as far as I know is an unprecedented thing, to have a Cadet fill a wing staff command position.
The only place I have heard of "Executive Officer" being used in association with CAP is at some wing cadet encampments.  I suppose having a cadet fill that position isn't totally outside the realm of possibility, though would definetely be unusual.  I can only assume that she didn't mean Wing Vice Commander.   
It would depend on what the bio was for. If I were running for an office, probably not. Everyone knows what an Eagle Scout is, and what it entails, whereas very few people have any idea what a Spaatz Cadet is. To put that there would necessitate and additional explaination...

Executive officer is a squadron level cadet position, an assistant to the Cadet Commander that manages the support staff. It is also often used at Encampments to do the same thing. I have never heard of it being used on Wing level, but I don't see why it could not be used....

Major Carrales

You know, I am proud of my service in CAP.  I don't mind who knows, but I would mind if it was being made to be "veteran" service. 

I do not like nor will condone CAP service being represented as something it is not.  As I am fond of saying, "be more proud of what you are than ashamed of what you are not."

I would, however, like to see more people regarding CAP SERVICE highly for what it is, not what it is not.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Capt Rivera

people know what eagle scouts are because people talk about being one. If we want people to know what a Spaatz cadet is, we need to talk about it... By this I mean in public, on resumes, whatever else. Let people ask, when you explain what it means to be a Spaatz cadet thats when people will respect what you did and want the same for the kids around them.

Many people don't know what it means to be a eagle scout besides that its the highest award in the boy scouts....  This was not always known... Learn from them and others and market what we are....

We also need to learn how to pronounce Spaatz, I've heard at least 2 versions said equally as often....

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

RiverAux

Quote, but I would mind if it was being made to be "veteran" service. 
Does putting a photo of someone in their CAP uniform in their literature or on their campaign web page go to far? 

Capt Rivera

Quote from: RiverAux on September 11, 2008, 01:31:28 AM
Quote, but I would mind if it was being made to be "veteran" service. 
Does putting a photo of someone in their CAP uniform in their literature or on their campaign web page go to far? 

no. not as long as it says Civil Air Patrol on it.... no different then a former boyscout doing the same.... As a CAP member you are doing a service to your country... even as a cadet.... so it is pertinent... As long as it is clear that its a CAP pic and not USAF etc... no problem with me... in fact, I'm proud of the use....
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

dogboy

Here's a Darcey Burner Bio Spot from You Tube

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4241327417063143793&ei=Sp7ISPrMDpzYqAOHsLWtAg&q=Darcy+Burner+&vt=lf&hl=en

I do not know whether this "Bio Spot" was authorized by her, or even by her opposition as a "dirty trick".

However, it does imply that Burner is an Air Force Veteran. Some unidentified persons appear in a Vietnam- era Air Force or CAP uniform and the words "Air Force Veteran" appear on the screen. Subsequently there are at least two photos of Burner wearing her CAP blue uniform but there's no wording on the screen to indicate this is CAP and not the Air Force.

A sophisticated viewer would notice that she quite a rack of ribbons for one so young and therefore she must be a cadet of some type but most viewers would not pick up on this.

DC

Quote from: dogboy on September 11, 2008, 04:46:24 AM
Here's a Darcey Burner Bio Spot from You Tube

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4241327417063143793&ei=Sp7ISPrMDpzYqAOHsLWtAg&q=Darcy+Burner+&vt=lf&hl=en

I do not know whether this "Bio Spot" was authorized by her, or even by her opposition as a "dirty trick".

However, it does imply that Burner is an Air Force Veteran. Some unidentified persons appear in a Vietnam- era Air Force or CAP uniform and the words "Air Force Veteran" appear on the screen. Subsequently there are at least two photos of Burner wearing her CAP blue uniform but there's no wording on the screen to indicate this is CAP and not the Air Force.

A sophisticated viewer would notice that she quite a rack of ribbons for one so young and therefore she must be a cadet of some type but most viewers would not pick up on this.

The words 'Air Force Veteran' appear on the screen, but the narration clearly says that she is the daughter of an Air Force Veteran. And I would presume it is an authorized video, since she speaks at the end, and does the typical "I'm Politician X, and I approved this message" at the end.

DNall

yeah a guy here did a few years back, got his pants beat off. he didn't claim to be in the military.  didn't mention CAP, just a pic on his webpage in flight suit. Was no longer a member at this point. It's a little jacked up, but talking about service to country and community is fine, just so they aren't in CAP anymore.

Same deal applies to pics in military uniform. It's a little shady, but passable if they're not still in service. I don't know about guard/reserve, I'm not always real comfortable with it.

I got no problem with someone claiming CAP service as part of their record. No more than military service. The issue is the military can't be seen to be endorsing any particular party, candidate, position, etc. That's a big deal.

Smithsonia

A fellow in my squadron -- Hank Eng -- is running for congress as a Democrat for the Colorado 6th District. He mentions his affiliation with CAP in his campaign literature. We are quite proud of Hank. Hank is proud of the CAP. We like Hank. Go Hank GO! SEE HERE: http://www.hankeng.com/
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Capt Rivera

i have no problem with that video.... She did not say CAP or the RM supported her...

The picture of veterans were probably family members, she stated she was the daughter of a veteran....  She also said she was married to one and showed her family...

The picture of her dad I assume, did not have her in it, and the caption said veterans which was accurate...

She was obviously a young kid when she is shown receiving an award in a mil style uniform.... this was also at the time she was talking about her younger years. (schools etc)

I have no idea who she is or what she represents... but I have NO problem with her ad at all.... I don't believe it was looking to mislead anyone... The "other side" always looks to find something actually or that could be spun to look wrong... They gave their opinion of the add which of course might sway people if the hear that opinion before watching the add.... keep an open mind when you watch it and you shouldn't have issues with it... but of course... YMMV

by the way "the other side" is any side that is not the side currently being spoken of..... no agenda here....
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

Flying Pig

I could only see it being a problem if something you did as a kid was listed in your areas of major accomplishments.  If I am looking for a political candidate, one that puts a lot of weight on youth activities that had occurred 20+ years earlier may give the impression that you havnt done much since.

From the articles it seems more like the media seized on it and blew it out of proportion in this case.  Other than that, I cant think of a time when CAP has ever been a campaign issue where I am.  In the grand scheme of things, I would certainly hope there are other things to talk about.

Auxpilot

Somewhat related to this topic - it appears that we have a chance of seeing a lot of pilots in the White House soon, which can only be a help to CAP.

John McCain is a pilot (as we all know), his wife Cindy is a pilot.

I have heard, but have been unable to verify that Sarah Palin is a pilot. Might be rumor based on her husband owning a plane.

Her husband, Todd Palin is a pilot and owns a Super Cub.

Can't hurt our cause..............

Flying Pig

I could only see it being a problem if something you did as a kid was listed in your areas of major accomplishments.  If I am looking for a political candidate, one that puts a lot of weight on youth activities that had occurred 20+ years earlier may give the impression that you havnt done much since.

From the articles it seems more like the media seized on it and blew it out of proportion in this case.  Other than that, I cant think of a time when CAP has ever been a campaign issue where I am.  In the grand scheme of things, I would certainly hope there are other things to talk about.

The only thing I thought was a little on the poor thinking side was when it showed her in uniform and talked about her dad being in the military, the words "military veteran" flashed briefly on the screen.  Eeeeeeeh....Big deal, No. But I think someone new what they were trying to do ::)

Capt Rivera

1 secound in the video... it showed "Air Force Veteran"  and the first thing said was the daughter of a af veteran..... blabla... darcy learned early [implying she was young when she learned] at this point... we are @ 7 nsecounds and it shows her in CAP uniform.... 

the AF pic was the 1st pic... during the 1st second of the video
the CAP pic was the 4th pic....

the 2 pics in between showed her as a baby and her as a young child with her family.....  again the 4 th pic shows her in CAP uniform as a preteen/teen.

immedialty befor showing the CAP pic it says:

"darcy learned early that...

while showing her CAP pic... it says "in america with hard work, anything is possible....

during the next CAP pic it says:

grew up in military towns and attended public schools [again something that depicts the age she was at the time of the pic]

it goes on to continue the timeline showing school awards, more family stuff, college graduation, work @ MS, family today.... etc...

again.... unless you WANT it to show something, how is this trying to trick anyone?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

alamrcn

QuoteWe are quite proud of Hank. Hank is proud of the CAP. We like Hank. Go Hank GO!

Ohhhh, I almost fell out of my chair - THAT was funny!

I vote for a person and not a party platform, so membership in the same organization as myself would be a very big influence. And if I were in a position to vote for someone in CAP, that would definitely be a hard swing their way. Potentionally, but not certainly, I could know what kind of person they are just from that aspect alone.

If I ran for local office - which I've fantasied about - I would definitely point out my CURRENT membership, but not any of my accomplishments. If any one had any questions about CAP, I'd be happy to answer them... and then hand them a recruiting brosure!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Flying Pig

Quote from: RiveraJ on September 11, 2008, 03:44:20 PM
1 secound in the video... it showed "Air Force Veteran"  and the first thing said was the daughter of a af veteran..... blabla... darcy learned early [implying she was young when she learned] at this point... we are @ 7 nsecounds and it shows her in CAP uniform.... 

the AF pic was the 1st pic... during the 1st second of the video
the CAP pic was the 4th pic....

the 2 pics in between showed her as a baby and her as a young child with her family.....  again the 4 th pic shows her in CAP uniform as a preteen/teen.

immedialty befor showing the CAP pic it says:

"darcy learned early that...

while showing her CAP pic... it says "in america with hard work, anything is possible....

during the next CAP pic it says:

grew up in military towns and attended public schools [again something that depicts the age she was at the time of the pic]

it goes on to continue the timeline showing school awards, more family stuff, college graduation, work @ MS, family today.... etc...

again.... unless you WANT it to show something, how is this trying to trick anyone?

Give me a break.  She is obviously going for the veteran crowd.  Since when does a political candidate run an ad showing them receiving awards as a kid.   She is using the words "veteran" and innocently showing herself in an "Air Force"uniform accepting awards.  Please.  It looks to me that her whole foundation for running is that she was the daughter of a vet, married to a vet, and was a CAP Cadet.  She is not campaigning to CAP, she is campaigning to people who only see her in a military uniform.  Please tell me she has more to offer her community than being a member of the Spaatz Club.

Capt Rivera

i take it as saying... here is my military related background... based on this... vets and those who will be, and parents of current and soon to be mil members.... etc, find comfort in my appreciation & understanding of what you "do", have done and will do...  I've grown up with family members gone, i am married to someone who is concerned with vet benefits and I grew up being instilled with the things that make you proud to be a vet....

FlyingPig are you saying our cadets get nothing from our relationship with the AF/mil in general?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

Flying Pig

What Im saying is that if your a politician running for office, and the majority of your campaign add is pictures of you in a youth organization and talking about your dad and your husband.....you need to do a serious reassessment.

SilverEagle2

I look at it this way.

As an Eagle Scout and an Eaker recipient, I put both on my Resume along with my other personal achievements in life. It demonstrates a pattern of consistant reliability, dependability, and responsibility. It shows that I was a contributor to society from my youth and not a reformed bully.

I think that any noteworthy achievement and service should be used in listing experience and qualifications in important offices. I would like to know that my candidate has always been one striving to make a difference from the beginning and not just in the last bit of their life.

I may have to explain the Eaker more than the Eagle, but both are just as important.

I am also an Air Force Brat. Does that mean I understand Veteran affairs better than non brats? I'd like to think so. I helped teach a few USAFA cadets in my youth and have actively lived in an around the Air Force most of my life.

If used in the proper context, it should be allowed. If part of a larger FISH story, then no.

My 2 Cents.

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman