Steve Fosset's Widow to be billed for search...

Started by Nomex Maximus, May 01, 2008, 07:45:17 PM

Nomex Maximus

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

JayT

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Tubacap

This was a mission that was partially state funded correct?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Hawk200

I hope the Air Force decides to write off our part. We don't need any of the negative publicity relating to this.

From the sounds of it, that state has some money issues. Almost a billion shortfall? Someones not keeping real good track of their greenbacks.

tribalelder

I was surprised the search went on as long as it did.  

Cynically (after 14 years in federal service and two years on federally funded NIH grants), I note that the end of the search corresponded with the end of the federal fiscal year.  My assumption was that the CAP part of the search sucked up every CAP training dollar that hadn't yet been spent for the fiscal year then closing.  

If the search had started in October, would it have gone more than a week ?
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

jimmydeanno

My state charges people for their rescue if it is something caused by their own stupidity or lack of planning - ie: taking a group of cub scouts hiking in the white mountains just before dark to scale a 4,500 ft peak in the rain during April without any equipment.

IIRC, it started from some lady calling 911 to save her pet parrot that she brough hiking because it flew into a tree...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Tubacap

^ We had a Boy Scout search that was fairly similar to the one you describe last year.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

RiverAux

Run away CAP, run away!!!

Do I recall correctly that the NG was actually using C-130s for this search at one point?  No wonder they spent so much money.

However, I do wonder what provisions there are in state law allowing someone to be billed for something like this outside of a hoax situation. 

capchiro

It would appear that the widow is a multimillionaire and this may be what is justifying the state doing what it is doing.  I doubt if the Air Force or CAP will be billing anybody for anything.  There may have been an unusual request from someone with money to continue the search when it would ahve been cancelled earlier.  If so, it amy ahve been with the promise or at least idea that there would be re-imbursement eventually.  I wouldn't worry about CAP losing any reputation over such.  That is why we volunteer, so people don't have to be able to afford us when they need us.  Sempre Vigilans
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

RiverAux

Well, having us mentioned in this particular story-line sure isn't going to help us any.  We don't want people to get any idea of us being a paid-for type of service like private air ambulance companies. 

DNall

The AF bills people for hoax/stupidity missions as well. I don't recall it ever being done, but it's certainly allowed if they want to.

It's not uncommon when a govt official or some prominent figure goes missing for someone to talk to a congressman about it, him talk to AF & the search go on longer than we may otherwise have taken it. You know if a congressman went missing we'd be searching for a month regardless of our POD. That's unfortunate, but welcome to democracy.

Quote from: RiverAux on May 01, 2008, 09:42:32 PM
Well, having us mentioned in this particular story-line sure isn't going to help us any.  We don't want people to get any idea of us being a paid-for type of service like private air ambulance companies. 
That's true... this is kinda in the like of what I've been trying to say on the PA element of IO & vice versa in that other thread. In this case, I hope NHQ will verify from AF that the fed govt is not charging, at least for our part, and make that clarification vocally to the media outlets.

RiverAux

Definetely.

Of course this was so far from a typical missing airplane search that the state might just learn a lesson and have to suck up the costs. 

RiverAux

And by that I meant that CAP did pretty much the same thing it would have done for any missing pilot, but the state decided to jump in the game with all their assets.  They should learn that you have to pay to play. 

Eagle400

Quote from: DNall on May 01, 2008, 09:51:07 PM
The AF bills people for hoax/stupidity missions as well. I don't recall it ever being done, but it's certainly allowed if they want to.

Then what makes anyone believe that the Air Force won't do the same to CAP as well? 

They don't value CAP enough to give the organization credit for all the man hours devoted to the Hurricane Katrina disaster relief, so what would stop them from NOT writing CAP off?

DNall

Quote from: CCSE on May 01, 2008, 10:09:32 PM
Quote from: DNall on May 01, 2008, 09:51:07 PM

Then what makes anyone believe that the Air Force won't do the same to CAP as well? 

They don't value CAP enough to give the organization credit for all the man hours devoted to the Hurricane Katrina disaster relief, so what would stop them from NOT writing CAP off?

What? AF pays for CAP missions. It has the ability to bill targets if the mission is a hoax or they were extremely negligent in creating the situation. The only time I've even heard rumor of this happening was for multiple negligent non-distress activations on a single ELT/owner. There's not a circumstance under which they could put the cost on CAP. It's their mission order. We're just doing the work.

And as far as Katrina... We like to hype our contribution, but it really was not a big deal. And, the AF history of the response talks about how people in the actual Air Force made significant contributions. It doesn't talk about every person or every unit, and there is no reason for CAP has to be mentioned there. Get over it.

RiverAux

We flew about 20% of all AF-related sorties during Katrina.  I think that at least rates a mention....but we already have a thread on that.

Johnny Yuma

This isn't really new, just the cost involved is making it an issue.

A Colorado county sent a Topeka man a $5,000 bill for pulling him out of the mountains a couple years ago. He was hiking with friends, went down a mismarked trail and sprained an ankle. He was "lost" about 16 hours before he was found in good shape, short the ankle.

It raised some eyebrows as the searchers involved were unpaid volunteers and seems the county's kinda selective who they send bills to.

He and his health insurance settled for $1600 or something.

UPDATE : Found the link http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_6922417
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Gunner C

The mission of the govt is to serve the people, not the other way around.  I think it's an abomination to charge the victims for rescue services.  Seems to me that the state is going to try to use the Fossett family to make up for their own lack of fiscal responsibility.

The length of a search is directly proportional to the social standing of the family.  Reference the Kennedy family - they had the freaking Navy searching for John-John.  Try to get that sort of assets if your plane goes down. 

The length & cost of the search isn't the fault of the survivors.  Stuff happens and we all band together to help.  That banding together is called the government.

GC

wingnut

The Coast Guard will send you a bill to tow you back to port, why not us for false ELTs, or just being stupid. I predict they will not get a dime from Mrs. Fossett. I mean we never found him?? Or is he Missing??

rjacobs

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on May 02, 2008, 12:25:05 AM
This isn't really new, just the cost involved is making it an issue.

A Colorado county sent a Topeka man a $5,000 bill for pulling him out of the mountains a couple years ago. He was hiking with friends, went down a mismarked trail and sprained an ankle. He was "lost" about 16 hours before he was found in good shape, short the ankle.

It raised some eyebrows as the searchers involved were unpaid volunteers and seems the county's kinda selective who they send bills to.

He and his health insurance settled for $1600 or something.

UPDATE : Found the link http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_6922417

Despite what the city of Golden did in the linked story, the Colorado Search and Rescue Board has quite a bit of information on their site (under Current Issues at http://www.coloradosarboard.org/) about why billing for searches is bad.
Ralph Jacobs, Maj, CAP
COWG