CAP Officer...nothing more, nothing less and DoD Stickers/Base Access

Started by Major Carrales, April 09, 2007, 07:44:53 PM

LtCol White

IN my CAP Career, I have always enjoyed excellent relations with all branches of military. With both GAWG and LAWG we rec'd outsanding support and cooperation. They have always been courteous and respectful. Always willing to show their toys to the cadets and have them on base for activities. Even got airlift for a groundteam to the moutains once from the army for an ELT coming from their area at Camp Merrill. The Rangers used to let us hold activities at Camp Merrill when they didnt have class up there. The RI's would teach field skills for the cadets as well as run rappelling training for them.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

AlphaSigOU

Many memories from my days WIWAC going to Camp Merrill and rappelling off the boards and doing the slide for life! (That was in the days of the late and legendary Ron Bradford.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jimmydeanno

Quote from: AlaskanCFI on April 10, 2007, 10:44:47 PM
QuoteOnly military members and their dependents, contractors (temporary and permanent), retirees and DOD employees are issued CAC (common access card) cards

Now that I am retired it is still a problem with some of the new civilian gate guards.  30 days after I went into the retired ready reserves, they took away my CAC (has a bar code on it for door and computer access) and gave me an old style lamented ID card with a bad photo.  It is a yucky pink color.  Now they think I am some sort of dependant.

Add in a retired NCO car sticker from my wife and me wearing Captains bars on my flight suit, while supposedly being retired and things get very confusing.

You should have seen what happened back before I retired as a State Law Dog.  I was staying on the base one night and they decided that my vehicle was the lucky one to be searched.  I mentioned they might find a few guns and some ammo.  The person leading that confused exercise  was not grasping the Police end of things, just a car full of guns, ammo, tear gas, body armor and other assorted things.  Later after things calmed down I pointed out that they should have searched me as well.  Then I opened my jacket.  

Remember, being sent to the gate is not a reward.

I can feel you there...

Military Guard Dependent (pinkish colored card), Base Enlisted Sticker on vehicle, Veteran Plates (vehicle is in wifes name), and wearing Captains bars...you should see the guards faces some days...  ???
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RogueLeader

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 11, 2007, 07:29:19 PM
Quote from: AlaskanCFI on April 10, 2007, 10:44:47 PM
QuoteOnly military members and their dependents, contractors (temporary and permanent), retirees and DOD employees are issued CAC (common access card) cards

Now that I am retired it is still a problem with some of the new civilian gate guards.  30 days after I went into the retired ready reserves, they took away my CAC (has a bar code on it for door and computer access) and gave me an old style lamented ID card with a bad photo.  It is a yucky pink color.  Now they think I am some sort of dependant.

Add in a retired NCO car sticker from my wife and me wearing Captains bars on my flight suit, while supposedly being retired and things get very confusing.

You should have seen what happened back before I retired as a State Law Dog.  I was staying on the base one night and they decided that my vehicle was the lucky one to be searched.  I mentioned they might find a few guns and some ammo.  The person leading that confused exercise  was not grasping the Police end of things, just a car full of guns, ammo, tear gas, body armor and other assorted things.  Later after things calmed down I pointed out that they should have searched me as well.  Then I opened my jacket.  

Remember, being sent to the gate is not a reward.

I can feel you there...

Military Guard Dependent (pinkish colored card), Base Enlisted Sticker on vehicle, Veteran Plates (vehicle is in wifes name), and wearing Captains bars...you should see the guards faces some days...  ???
Am suprised that you weren't denied entry, at least not with out an explnation as long as this post. ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jimmydeanno

Honestly, I have never had an issue gaining entrance to any base.  The actual military dependant ID card usually trumps the other stuff.  CAPIDs I've had trouble with because the guard doesn't know what they are, has to call the command post, the supervisor comes out, he calls his supervisor, he looks up what CAP is, calls the supervisor, who tells the gate guard that we're good...

But the attitudes from the military personnel have never been anything but accomodating.  So many times have military personnel bent over backwards to make something happen for my cadets, and I truly appreciate them. 

I have heard the horror stories about CAP members getting into arguments with base enlisted personnel about not saluting, or not getting a DV spot on the tarmac when the CAP Wing Commander arrives, etc.  But as posted above, one bad apple...

I vary my uniform depending on what I'm doing.  If I am attending a soley "senior" function, I wear my polo combo.  If I'm working with the cadets, I wear what they do.  I don't really care what I am in CAP, there isn't anything that I am able to do as a Capt that I couldn't do as a 2d Lt.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Grumpy

At Camp Pendleton, they're still using the DOD stickers.  I have an NCO sticker on my vehicle that expires in '08 and my retired military ID (just in case) but most of the time they don't even look at it.  They wave me through almost every time.  If they do check my ID they get a little confused with the gold leaves on my shoulder and the MSGT rank on the ID card but a little explanation does the job.  I usually joke with them by telling them to add the Major's grade and MSGT rank together and make me a "Sergeant Major".

Major Brian Billing, CAP
Deputy Cmdr for Seniors
Sqdrn 47, Oceanside, CA

mikeylikey

Quote from: Grumpy on May 17, 2007, 04:31:33 PM
At Camp Pendleton, they're still using the DOD stickers.  I have an NCO sticker on my vehicle that expires in '08 and my retired military ID (just in case) but most of the time they don't even look at it.  They wave me through almost every time.  If they do check my ID they get a little confused with the gold leaves on my shoulder and the MSGT rank on the ID card but a little explanation does the job.  I usually joke with them by telling them to add the Major's grade and MSGT rank together and make me a "Sergeant Major".

Major Brian Billing, CAP
Deputy Cmdr for Seniors
Sqdrn 47, Oceanside, CA

Quantico is the exact same way.  Everywhere I have been there is a 100% ID Check.  At Quantico, they see the DOD Decal and either wave you on, or salute and wave you on.  Hell......for all they know a terrorist killed me, stole my car, put some bombs in it and is intent on blowing up the Commissary.  Quantico sucks by the way!
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 17, 2007, 05:29:17 PMQuantico is the exact same way.  Everywhere I have been there is a 100% ID Check.  At Quantico, they see the DOD Decal and either wave you on, or salute and wave you on.  Hell......for all they know a terrorist killed me, stole my car, put some bombs in it and is intent on blowing up the Commissary.  Quantico sucks by the way!

I love Quantico.  What sucks about it?  We did tons of training there when I was in NATCAP and I even spent some time training there in the Army.  In fact, my shooting team won a rifle competition there.  Quantico Arms is a great gear/gun store too.
Serving since 1987.

Eeyore

Quote from: Grumpy on May 17, 2007, 04:31:33 PM

Major Brian Billing, CAP
Deputy Cmdr for Seniors
Sqdrn 47, Oceanside, CA

Good 'ole SQ 47, that's where I started my CAP career back in '97. Hope you are all doing well over there in sunny California.