Main Menu

Application Done?

Started by KirkF22, July 13, 2012, 07:49:50 PM

Critical AOA

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 14, 2012, 10:21:45 PM
Thank you. How much do I right the checks out to be. And also I get the dress blues for free but I have to order the bdu from vanguard correct?

You write a check, not right one.

Also, I agree with those who say to visit more than one squadron and make a few visits to each.  They are not all the same and you will enjoy your CAP experience more if you find the one that is a better fit.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

KirkF22

Sorry about the spelling error. And I am too far away from the other squadrons. But could someone still answer my last question about the BDUs and Dress Blues.

rustyjeeper

Dress uniform does come from NHQ (if monies and availability allow). There is a module in e-services that you order it from- your unit should teach you how to do that. The BDU uniform you can order from vanguard or obtain at an army navy store or find on e-bay (which is usually cheaper than vanguard) and yes you pay for the BDU's out of pocket. Once you are in a while it is likley you will need two sets of BDU's for encampment or other activities but dont go crazy until you are sure you are staying.

Eclipse

BDU.COM or AAFES is your best best for a field uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

I'd like to know what AAFES Eclipse finds BDUs at. The few I've seen haven't had BDUs for over a year
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pylon

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 14, 2012, 10:21:45 PM
Thank you. How much do I right the checks out to be. And also I get the dress blues for free but I have to order the bdu from vanguard correct?

Your squadron commander can tell you best how much to write the checks for.  Some squadrons have membership dues (which would likely go on a separate check from National/Wing dues).

Correct on getting most of the dress blues after you join.  You'll (eventually) get: the shirt-sleeve blues shirt, pants, belt, and flight cap.  You will not get black dress shoes, or any of the required insignia (collar "cutouts", nameplate, flight cap device at minimum).  You will have to find your own shoes and order the minimum insignia from Vanguard.

Optional items will you also not get include: a tie and tie tack or bar, a long-sleeve shirt, a service coat, and outerwear (raincoat, overcoat, or lightweight jacket).  But also understand that the FCU (Free Cadet Uniform) can take several months to arrive after you've joined.

The BDUs are indeed a privately-procured item.  But don't run out and buy some right now.  Some CAP units (like mine) keep a robust stock of BDU uniforms on hand and issue BDUs, boots, and field jackets to every cadet.  Those items ultimately belong to the unit should our cadets leave the program, but that could save you over $100.  Wait to see what your unit has in stock, if anything, to lend its cadets.

You also may want to wait on ordering insignia from Vanguard.  My squadron streamlines the process for cadets and orders a "new cadet package" of uniform items for a flat-fee.  The squadron takes advantage of multiple-person orders and absorbs shipping costs, and takes the confusion out of it for new cadets — this way we know all our cadets will get the correct insignia (not end up with a SM nameplate or the wrong cutouts ("US") or something) and will receive them in a timely manner.   Your unit may have something similar or may have a squadron supply box they can sell you items from.

So as with all the other questions above:  your squadron can give you the best answers.  You have good questions.  But write them down and wait until your next meeting to ask them there.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Garibaldi

Black Rothco jungle boots...uspatriottactical.com. look at the closeouts. $15 per pair and they have a pretty good stock of sizes.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

KirkF22

Thanks everyone for all of the info.

SarDragon

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 15, 2012, 01:09:56 AM
Black Rothco jungle boots...uspatriottactical.com. look at the closeouts. $15 per pair and they have a pretty good stock of sizes.

YGBSM!

What a waste of money. IMHO, Rothco is just another way to spell crap. At $15/pair, you get what you pay for. Spend a bit more, and get a better, more durable, more comfortable boots.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

KirkF22

Could someone list the things I need that won't come with the dress blues?

Pylon

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 15, 2012, 03:01:54 AM
Could someone list the things I need that won't come with the dress blues?

I already did in my post above.  TL;DR?

Mandatory things (stuff that you will need, at minimum, to wear the blues) that will not come with Free Cadet Uniform (FCU):  blue 3-line nameplate, "CAP" cutouts pair for collar, flight cap device, black dress shoes, black dress socks, v-neck white undershirt.

Optional things (things you do NOT have to own) which will not come with FCU:  tie, tie tack or tie bar, shirt stays, long-sleeve shirt, service jacket, outerwear (raincoat, overcoat, lightweight jacket), sweater.

KirkF22

Ok thank you. And what about for the bdu?

Pylon

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 15, 2012, 03:20:34 AM
Ok thank you. And what about for the bdu?

Minimum you will need:  BDU coat, BDU trousers.  They should match (winter-weight or summer/ripstop weight).  BDU patrol cap.  One set of metal "CAP" collar devices/cutouts (same as for blues).  One white-on-blue nametape with your last name; one white-on-blue "Civil Air Patrol" tape.  One reverse, full-color American flag patch.  Black or brown crew-neck t-shirt.  Blue web belt with subdued tip and buckle.  Boot socks.  Black leather combat boots. 

Option items include: squadron patch (if your unit has one); wing patch; blousing bands.

Again, I urge you to not run out and buy everything right now.  Wait until you talk to your unit to see what they might be able to issue you or loan you.

rustyjeeper

name tape,
c.a.p. tape
wing patch
revese flag patch
unit patch(???)
cap cutouts
cover
blousing bands
combat boots
bdu belt
brown or black t shirt

skivvies are type of your choice :-X

I suggest you google capr 39-1 and do some reading thru the uniform manual before buying anything so you get a good idea before spending money
No one should expect a cedet to have it all when they first join; usually it takes a few months before a cadet has the full uniform and all the paraphenelia associated with it-- give it time and slow down- as others have said it takes time and thre is a reason for the 3 meeting rule
you will soon learn CAP stands for COME AND PAY as things add up

KirkF22

Thanks I'm not going to buy anything for a while. But I live in florida, so I probably won't be getting the winter coat correct?

Eclipse

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 15, 2012, 02:03:58 PM
Thanks I'm not going to buy anything for a while. But I live in florida, so I probably won't be getting the winter coat correct?

Do you own a winter civilian coat?

"That Others May Zoom"

rustyjeeper

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 15, 2012, 02:03:58 PM

Not unless you buy one.

The USAF cadet uniform you get thru NHQ does not include a jacket. That you buy. You get a pair of pants, shirt, belt and flight cap I beleive issued with the iniitial uniform issue- if that is what you are asking.

Again, your unit may have things to issue out as well. Oftern people leave the program and sometimes they donate uniforms to the unit on the way out. It's good to ask and be knowledgeable, but slow down there are lots of things to spend money on in CAP as you will soon find out ::)

KirkF22

I mean like I should by the summer coat not the winter one since its summer 365 days a year.

BillB

Kirk,   Read 39-1.  There is no such things as a "winter coat" and "summer coat". There is an overcoat which you will not need. A service coat that you will need later on and the windbreaker. If you live south of I-4 you would not need the liner for the windbreaker unless you go to a winter encampment. It can get cool in north Florida.(I'm to lazy to see where FL-152 is) Many cadets get the raincoat, but chances are you'll only wear it maybe twice a year. Best advise, see what your Squadron might have to loan you.  And if your Squadron is on the ball, they may have checked with the local AFJROTC for surplus uniform items at the end of the last semester. AFJROTC can only issue uniforms to CAP or ship to DRMO per letter from AFROTC at Maxwell..
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

spacecommand

I suggest the original poster actually attend a few meetings first before worrying about uniform items etc!

I don't know anything about the unit you are visiting, but if you were visiting my unit then became a member, we have many uniform items that we can give to you for FREE (like a set of BDUs!).  We usually get many donations and cadets also recycle uniform items as well that you can get (jackets, sweaters etc).  Though some items like personalized nametags you need to purchase yourself. 

Each unit is different, attend the unit meetings first, and see how things are, ask questions about the uniform etc, you might find out that the unit or though other sources like group or wing you can get many items without paying for them.  Talk with the other cadets, they also might have stuff at home they no longer use etc. 

It all starts first with attending meetings!