Main Menu

Application Done?

Started by KirkF22, July 13, 2012, 07:49:50 PM

KirkF22

?I completed the CAP application that i downloaded from the website. I havent gone to a meeting yet but can i bring the application to my first meeting and have the commander sign it and i can mail it in right after the first meeting? Im already possitive im joining, i dont need any more convincing from the squadron. So would it be fine to have her sign the application the first night im there.

EMT-83

That's a question for the commander; the folks here can't speak for him

arajca

Many units like to have prospective members attend three meetings before joining. This enables both the unit and the prospective member to ensure it's a good fit on both sides. But, ultimately, it's up to the unit.

Pylon

You can certainly hand-in your application to the unit when you go to the next meeting.  As everyone else has stated, the chain of command at that unit will better be able to tell you what to expect as far as the joining process goes.  The application will generally be mailed to National Headquarters by the unit, not the recruit, after it has been reviewed and accepted by the Squadron Commander.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

KirkF22

Ok so she will mail it in not me. And also I found this application on the cap website but I've seen different versions on other websites. Is there more than one version of the application?

Eclipse

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 14, 2012, 01:33:28 AM
Ok so she will mail it in not me. And also I found this application on the cap website but I've seen different versions on other websites. Is there more than one version of the application?

Only the most current one should be used, and the unit will hand you one, so just wait until they do.  Many units have pre-printed applications
with the unit specifics already completed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

KirkF22, that is the correct one. Do visit the Squadron 3 times. If possible you should visit 3 different Squadrons.

My son had a choice of a Composite or two different Cadet Squadrons. He picked the Composite because they had a CAP plane. One Cadet Squadron was more like a boy scout troop and just did 'stuff' to keep busy, if you know what I mean. The other was closer to an 'after school' program. 

Have fun with it   8)

KirkF22

Well there's only one close to me, the others are far away. But for my first meeting should I hand her the application and she can sign it and mail it in when she wants? Or would that get me off to a bad start with her?

Pylon

I personally think it shows initiative to bring an application (a good thing).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

KirkF22

Ok because most people say go to three meetings to make sure you are interested in joining. But I'm already positive I want to join.

MIKE

If I were the squadron commander I would still make you attend 3 meetings before I'd sign the CAPF 15... then I start the pool on if you make it a year.  >:D  You're so sure you are joining, but you haven't even seen the inside of your local squadron yet.
Mike Johnston

KirkF22

What do you mean you start a pool?

Private Investigator

When I was Squadron Commander I wanted the applicant to see three different meetings. Once a quarter we will have the 5th Tuesday night which was casual night, a movie and pizza. Everybody thinks, wow this is cool. Next meeting we have physical fitness test and now it sucks! Or that Staff member's personality really is annoying, but you will have to put up with it because we are not changing Staff because you can not get along with somebody.

Remember their will be a 14 year old Cadet Staff Sergeant that will be going "Full Metal Jacket" on you and you will have to deal with it. Later the Senior Staff will correct her but at the 'moment' you will have to deal with it.   >:D

KirkF22

I know ill have to go to 3 meeting first, but do you think its fine for me to give her the application the first meeting?

Private Investigator

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 14, 2012, 04:17:54 PM
What do you mean you start a pool?

On how long you will last. We do the same with Senior Members. Cadets tend to have high attrition rates. The first couple of months it is all new and interesting but after a while some people get tired of the regimentation. The 1st Monday of every month is the same, just like the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Monday of every month. If you just look forward to the 5th Monday, that comes once a quarter, to do fun stuff. You might not make it.

Also other activities come up, like the opposite sex, driver's license, fishing, et cetera.

Good luck   :angel:

KirkF22

well ive already got my license and im not interested in a relationship currently because im focusing on school.

Dad2-4

Yes, it's absolutely OK for you to hand in an application at your first meeting. Like others have said, take your time to get to know how things run. Talk with the Squadron Commander about what you would like to get out of CAP and listen to what the commander tells you about what is expected of you.
You shouldn't have a cadet Staff Sergeant going "full metal jacket" on anyone, but sometimes people think it's OK to treat new cadets like real military recruits. That just shows their inexperience in leadership.
Hope you have a long and prosperous CAP career.

spacecommand

Personally, if it were me, I would take the application, hang onto it, and ask that you still attend at least three meetings to get a feel of it.  I'll usually assign a new prospective cadet with one of our senior cadets to guide them around.

At the end of the second meeting, I'll see how you are liking things and if things are good, I'll remind you to bring a check to pay for the application at your next meeting and hand it in.  Also if you haven't already, I'll need to see some sort of official documentation to prove your identity.  If you parents have any questions I would like to speak with them too (parent's usually do have a lot of questions, pertaining to uniform items, promotions and activities etc).

KirkF22

Thank you. How much do I right the checks out to be. And also I get the dress blues for free but I have to order the bdu from vanguard correct?