CAP Discount for Buds Police Supply

Started by KyCAP, July 30, 2011, 02:22:18 PM

KyCAP

All,

I know the owners of Bud'sGunshop.com which operates Budspolicesupply.com

They will allow Civil Air Patrol members to submit their current and valid CAP ID to use as a qualification for LE / Military discount on firearms.

LE / Discount information is here: http://go.hea.biz/capdiscount  Please click on the link to view so that they will know we are serious about the program.

Of course these items are for PERSONAL use and not for use during CAP activities.  Note that a Commercial Pilots license also qualifies.  The discounts are pretty substantial on firearms when you compare Smith and & Wesson LE to Civilian pricing.

Enjoy.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

lordmonar

Talk about timely Postings!

I just opened my account at BUD's and was getting set up to order a gun from him!

Thanks for the info!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JC004

Outstanding!  Of course, it looks like I'd be eligible through the sheriff's dept too, but still cool.  This is the kind of thing I'd love to see for the benefits stuff.  Did you initiate this?

I haven't ordered firearms from them before but I have heard good things.

Where do I find the LE pricing?  It'd be awesome if it could apply to Springfield firearms toooooooo!  HINT HINT!!  Sig, well, I WISH!

KyCAP

Quote from: JC004 on July 30, 2011, 03:57:42 PMDid you initiate this?

Yes - I know one of the owners and he's been around CAP in various forms for years.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

KyCAP

Quote from: JC004 on July 30, 2011, 03:57:42 PM
Where do I find the LE pricing?

All of the firearms are listed at LE pricing on that site.

Drop the "LE" from part number from Smith and Wesson M & P for example and compare to Budsgunshop.com pricing.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

CAP4117

I'm a little confused. Why do CAP members get a discount on firearms? We don't use them.

Edit: I'm sorry if that came across wrong. I'm not trying to start anything - I'm legitimately curious. What's the thinking behind that?

KyCAP

Quote from: CAP4117 on July 30, 2011, 04:06:16 PM
I'm a little confused. Why do CAP members get a discount on firearms? We don't use them.

Basically because they want to and can is the simplest response (it's not about what you do IN CAP per se), but CAP pilots can carry a firearm in their survival gear when required by law:

http://capmembers.com/media/cms/R900_003_506DC1944BAC9.pdf
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Eclipse

Quote from: KyCAP on July 30, 2011, 04:32:33 PM...because they want to and can is the simplest response...

And that should be the end of the debate.  It won't be, but it should.  I'm sure the busy-body machine is in full frustration mode on this
one because there's nothing they can do about it.

Thanks for making this happen.  I will definitely stop there first next time and advise my friends both in CAP and in the LE community.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP4117

Sorry sir. I didn't mean to touch a nerve.  :(

JC004

There's no reason to offer CAP members discounts for any number of things.  It's a thank-you for being a member, not just gear for doing CAP stuff.

It's expensive to be a CAP member.  VERY.  If CAP can get us a discount on cheeseburgers or suits (and they can - Brooks Brothers program would be no problem to set up and it'd be free), it should be done.  We should thank our volunteers at every opportunity.  Plus, the cost of being in CAP DIRECTLY impacts my ability to buy cheeseburgers or suits.

At my organization, among other things, I get my volunteers discounts at restaurants, a credit union membership, and discounts on clothing.  It's just a way of saying THANK YOU for all they do for us and all they give to us.

CAP4117

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I hadn't thought of it from that perspective...

JC004

It's goodwill too.  The one particular restaurant really appreciates all my volunteers who come in.  It's a win-win.  My volunteers appreciate the discounts on lunch and dinner too.  They don't think "this is a silly discount - I don't need a sandwich for my duties."

KyCAP

Quote from: JC004 on July 30, 2011, 03:57:42 PM
Where do I find the LE pricing?  It'd be awesome if it could apply to Springfield firearms toooooooo!  HINT HINT!!  Sig, well, I WISH!

Last year I compared a SIG P239 and it was $98 less on the Police Supply site than BudsGunshop.com.   Also, I believe that most of the LE part numbers come with 3 magazines for duty wear and most civilian packaging only includes 2 ($30 - $40) of additional savings in some instances.   I believe Springfield does have LE pricing, but I haven't been looking at those part numbers.

If in doubt give them a call about it though.   They're spooling up on the new discount.   If anyone seems unfamiliar with the discount when you call tell them to ask "JR" or "Rex".
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

JC004

Outstanding.  It says cash discount.  How do I calculate what it costs to pay by credit card?  I'd have to do that, I guess and have it sent to an FFL here.

KyCAP

Quote from: JC004 on July 30, 2011, 05:40:33 PM
Outstanding.  It says cash discount.  How do I calculate what it costs to pay by credit card?  I'd have to do that, I guess and have it sent to an FFL here.

I've got an email in to figure that out.   Never had to deal with that since I walk up to the counter at their store.   8)
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

JC004

KyCAP

To address the credit card issue...

"We can't accept debit card transactions due to the PIN requirement.  For our best cash discount price you can use E-check, regular check/MO by mail, or GE Money 25 day interest free."

Lots of workable options it appears.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Spaceman3750

Quote from: KyCAP on July 31, 2011, 12:50:13 AM
To address the credit card issue...

"We can't accept debit card transactions due to the PIN requirement.  For our best cash discount price you can use E-check, regular check/MO by mail, or GE Money 25 day interest free."

Lots of workable options it appears.

Hm. Most debit cards are credit-enabled, if they send them as credit they should go.

KyCAP

On credit though you change from ACH payment network to another and I believe that the cost per transaction is higher which is why the original question was raised.   The merchant usually is absorbing 2 - 3 percent on the purchase for the convenience...
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Spaceman3750

Quote from: KyCAP on July 31, 2011, 01:03:16 AM
On credit though you change from ACH payment network to another and I believe that the cost per transaction is higher which is why the original question was raised.   The merchant usually is absorbing 2 - 3 percent on the purchase for the convenience...

Ah. In any event, this is a great benefit and I hope our members take advantage of it? You might want to generate an email to NHQ to so that it can be added to the benefits section.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 31, 2011, 01:24:50 AM
Quote from: KyCAP on July 31, 2011, 01:03:16 AM

Ah. In any event, this is a great benefit and I hope our members take advantage of it? You might want to generate an email to NHQ to so that it can be added to the benefits section.
It is highly unlikely that CAP NHQ is going to specifically get & publish that CAP members can buy guns and weapon accessories as part of their membership benefits.   Our benefits should be geared to what our missions are--ain't too many "gun slinging" CAP members showing up at CAP activities ;D

Now if that company has chosen to do that for CAP members, that's their business decision and they could advertise on the internet and other means.
RM

Eclipse

^ so...

You called them to set them straight and they told you to mind your own business?

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2011, 07:27:14 PM
^ so...

You called them to set them straight and they told you to mind your own business?
I've never called anyone on any CAP benefit, I think you are the troll in this discussion >:(
RM

Major Lord

Those of us who carry firearms for a living appreciate the gesture of a discount, even if its only a token one. Those who buy firearms for self defense , recreation, or collectors, appreciate the offer just as much. I always try to support my brick and mortar gunshop in town, but they are such pirates on pricing I generally go to Gunbrokers.com and shop for the really good pricing. I suppose its a little unfair to the local dealer, but he can't compete against the Open Market for guns, and can't compete against Walmart for ammo, and times are tight.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

davidsinn

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 31, 2011, 07:16:57 PM
ain't too many "gun slinging" CAP members showing up at CAP activities ;D

You would really be surprised. Now all of the members that I know that carry do not do it in uniform but I know quite a few that have CCWs and do carry in civis.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JC004

Our benefits should be geared to what our missions are

Whatever you say.  I'm going to tell my volunteers that I best not see them eating a cheeseburger off duty or walking down the street wearing a pair of pants that they got a nice discount on.  I want them to keep giving me their time, energy, and vast amounts of money in tough economic times and I will show my appreciation with an award they have to buy.  Luckily CAP isn't expensive and doesn't take limited resources from people in a time with high unemployment and under employment. 

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JC004 on July 31, 2011, 11:58:38 PM
Our benefits should be geared to what our missions are

Whatever you say.  I'm going to tell my volunteers that I best not see them eating a cheeseburger off duty or walking down the street wearing a pair of pants that they got a nice discount on.  I want them to keep giving me their time, energy, and vast amounts of money in tough economic times and I will show my appreciation with an award they have to buy.  Luckily CAP isn't expensive and doesn't take limited resources from people in a time with high unemployment and under employment.
Well, perhaps I could modify my opinion a bit on this.    What one does locally regarding discounts (as an example short order type food) is up to the unit.  I just don't see CAP nationwide getting a "mcCAP burger" discounted.

IF it is costing the member too much money (in relation to their financial resources) to be in CAP they should find something less expensive to volunteer for OR CAP as an organization, needs to ensure that the overall cost of membership (dues, uniforms, and training) remains at the lowest cost possible to the member.  That is probably more important than any membership external benefit will ever be.
RM 

DakRadz

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 01, 2011, 12:15:25 AM
I just don't see CAP nationwide getting a "mcCAP burger" discounted.

RM 

It only sounds right if you say it as "micSeeAyePea burger."

Just saying. ;D

JC004

Cheeseburgers or something else non-duty-related, it's irrelevant.  It happens to be a restaurant that sells that sort of thing in my organization's case because I know the business owner.  I only have 150 volunteers for my local organization - so I don't attract the big benefit deals and I can't do one with cell phone discounts on personal accounts until we get some more corporate phones. 

We have other benefits that I set up at my organization (credit union, discounts at other stores, etc.) - that's just the example I picked because it's clearly not duty-related (although the owner does donate catering for our volunteer training - that's closer.  Good guy - won't even ACCEPT a donation letter or publicity for the catering at big events.). 

You are seriously saying that if CAP is too expensive, it's too [darn] bad?  They should go elsewhere?  Really?  Where I come from originally, I've known many parents especially who have struggled with the costs of CAP to help their kid(s).  Too [darn] bad?  I know Western MA has its share of low income people too.  Too [darn] bad for them?  Seems to me CAP can really help kids who are caught up in that cycle.  I've seen it myself and I can attest to it.

So what if that particular group wouldn't buy the product we're offering a discount on?  Others would and many people are struggling right now.  Why not offer a discount on clothing like my organization does?  CAP can offer the very same discount.  Why not, if we could secure them, offer discounts on computers?  Would they have to be for your official CAP duties only?  What about cell phones?  We are probably eligible to offer that on personal cell phone accounts RIGHT NOW.  Screw them if the phone doesn't meet your standard of being used often enough for CAP?

I see nothing wrong with offering CAP members discounts and deals as a thank-you for all they do, as well as a way to help them with the extraordinary cost of CAP.  In recent years, I've seen two universities offer discounts specifically for CAP.  Screw that!  College steals our cadets!  Horrible discount idea!  I'm all about offering discounts for all sorts of things - duty-related and NOT. 

Offer discounts to members AND reduce the overall cost of CAP where possible.  How about that?

Eclipse

Not to mention, but apparently lost here, is that a "discount" is a attractant for the business.  The proprietor might not make as much profit on
those particular sales, but they are getting the business, and just as important, their competition isn'tIn some spaces, who isn't getting the
business is as important as who is, which is why some companies will dump product at a loss to kill their competition.

I would never expect a retail (online or B&M) business to sell me anything at an actual loss, that's a bad idea for everyone.  But a little less profit as a combo "thank you for being someone who tries to help", and "please tell your friends" is a win for everyone.

Direct-buys from manufacturers are a different ball game.  Those $190 sunglasses cost about $10-20 to make and the rest is shipping and markup.  If
a manufacturer wants to sell me something as a "thank you" and "show your friends", good on them.  Cheap advertising and goodwill at little to any "real" cost to the manufacturer.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Not to mention that the buisness gets customers.

Someone out there in the market for a firearm....well now they may check out Bud's instead of his competetors.

AS for our "offical" benifits....we get deals on insurance, cell phones, magazine subscriptions, travel discounts (including cruise ships), a discount at officer max, computers....and aviation products.

So....National should not have cut these deals for us because the are not mission related?

Cynical a bit?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: KyCAP on July 30, 2011, 02:22:18 PM
All,

I know the owners of Bud'sGunshop.com which operates Budspolicesupply.com

They will allow Civil Air Patrol members to submit their current and valid CAP ID to use as a qualification for LE / Military discount on firearms.

LE / Discount information is here: http://go.hea.biz/capdiscount  Please click on the link to view so that they will know we are serious about the program.

Of course these items are for PERSONAL use and not for use during CAP activities.  Note that a Commercial Pilots license also qualifies.  The discounts are pretty substantial on firearms when you compare Smith and & Wesson LE to Civilian pricing.

Enjoy.

OUTFREAKINGSTANDING!!!

JC004

HARRIS.  HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST A MEMBER SHOULD GO ON A TRIP INSTEAD OF DO CAP THINGS!  WANNABES NEED TO BE HARD AT WORK 24/7!

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Lord

Since the lunch hour is upon us here in California, I started dwelling on what a "CAP Burger" would look like. Here are my thoughts:

Bun: Half-baked, for obvious reasons
Patty: Raw meat, for the Captalker's, Vegetarian for CAWG, missing entirely from NHQ
Veggies: A real pickle
Wrapper: Air Force Blue with Gray stripes for S/M's, Blue for Cadets, "paper or plastic" for CAWG, black for NHQ
Cheese: Extra Cheesy
Cost: Free- But you have to wait 365 days for it, and resubmit your request at least 22 times
Name: McCAP for most of America, but also available as a The" Royale Pineda Hamburgesa con Queso" for a select group of Lord Voldemorts' staff members

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

"Can I get fries with that?"

"Some stores have fries, lots of them, really delicious, too, but we don't have them here.  Too much work to make them
and it's too hard to get them in the wrapper."

"But I went to the store across the street, and the guys there showed me exactly how to make the fries,
and how simple it is to get them in the wrapper.  They said they've always had fries and couldn't figure out why anyone
would keep coming to this store if you didn't serve fries."

"Well, we tried to serve fries a few years ago, but the fry guy got sick, and the potatoes weren't delivered, and
then we got stuck paying for the oil because we lost the receipt from the distributor.  It's all their fault, anyway, since
they never do anything and they always expect us to pay for stuff."

"OK, whatever.  I'll be happy to show you how to make fries, I'll even come over on a free night and make some
for you..."

"Nah, we're good with just the burgers.  We prefer them plain and adding fries seems like a lot of work.  Hey, where are
you going?  Don't you want your burger? It's back here somewhere!"

Typical - you get a new customer and they stick around until they go to that other store, and then all they do is complain and
want more stuff.  I'm not telling anyone about those other stores anymore, they should just accept what we have here and be
happy.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JC004 on August 01, 2011, 03:43:36 AM

You are seriously saying that if CAP is too expensive, it's too [darn] bad?  They should go elsewhere?  Really?  Where I come from originally, I've known many parents especially who have struggled with the costs of CAP to help their kid(s).  Too [darn] bad?  I know Western MA has its share of low income people too.  Too [darn] bad for them?  Seems to me CAP can really help kids who are caught up in that cycle.  I've seen it myself and I can attest to it.

YES --- some people do not have adequate funds in order to participate satisfactorily in required CAP activities, in a proper uniform.  That's the way it is, unless someone wants to make some donations, so they can join and be able to wear a proper uniform.  HOWEVER, we can't save everybody, and for some kids it might be better for them just to join the local YMCA/YWCA or another youth activity that just has Tshirts with that organization's name on it for "uniforms"   

So what if that particular group wouldn't buy the product we're offering a discount on?  Others would and many people are struggling right now.  Why not offer a discount on clothing like my organization does?  CAP can offer the very same discount.  Why not, if we could secure them, offer discounts on computers?  Would they have to be for your official CAP duties only?  What about cell phones?  We are probably eligible to offer that on personal cell phone accounts RIGHT NOW.  Screw them if the phone doesn't meet your standard of being used often enough for CAP?

Most discounts offered by ANY membership associations usually can be gotten for about the same price by the general public.  It's always best to be skeptical on any benefit and check it out as a general consumer.  Hey, even the AF has that place down in Orlando FL which allegedly is cheaper for military personnel, BUT a travel agent might find something better for less costs.     

I see nothing wrong with offering CAP members discounts and deals as a thank-you for all they do, as well as a way to help them with the extraordinary cost of CAP.  In recent years, I've seen two universities offer discounts specifically for CAP.  Screw that!  College steals our cadets!  Horrible discount idea!  I'm all about offering discounts for all sorts of things - duty-related and NOT. 

I really don't know what the quality is on those colleges with the alleged discounts for CAP members, again as consumers, one would need to check that out carefully.

Offer discounts to members AND reduce the overall cost of CAP where possible.  How about that?

Discounts (locally and nationally) should be related to our missions (I'd like to see one for radio equipment, we use to have that).  That includes a discount for even simple food items like a pizza for a squadron activity.  I personally just can't get too excited about anything that National HQ would allegedly do for the members.  I would think that since CAP is more of a "local" activity, more success might be achieved..
RM

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 01, 2011, 10:01:29 PMDiscounts (locally and nationally) should be related to our missions (I'd like to see one for radio equipment, we use to have that).  That includes a discount for even simple food items like a pizza for a squadron activity.  I personally just can't get too excited about any that National HQ would allegedly do for the members.  I would think that since CAP is more of a "local" activity, more success might be achieved.

Excellent plan - instead of leveraging the buying power of 60,000 members, and a military-affiliated national organization with a  budget of >$25M a year, let's all negotiate our own discounts locally.

The CAP experience is largely local, I agree, however it isn't supposed to be that way.  We're supposed to function as if there are actually more people out there than the ones we can see in the room, yet a lot of commanders, at all echelons, forget that.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Well, since this doesn't make any sense, I am going to talk to make a special point of collecting as many non-mission-related discounts as possible.  It's late in the day, but I can get some tips from other national volunteer organizations some time this week.

Bob - could you help me with the CAP College Accreditation Program standards?  I've never vetted/accredited a college or university before.  I went to a university, though, and I've guest lectured at several for non-profit management programs, so I'm sure that I can judge whether a college or university is good enough to give a CAP member discount or be attended by our members.  If you can take half the alphabet for the majors/minors in undergrad, I will take the other.  We can accredit graduate programs later. 

On a side note, some "scholarships" that colleges/universities give are not actually scholarships, really - they're discounts.  In other words, no money is being moved around - they aren't taking a set of money from an alumni donation, for example.  They are charging you less for qualifying in some way - in this case, being a Wannabe.  Some give discounts for fire/EMS/police/military for real public service.

Eclipse

Yep - happy to help. 

Will be kinda DNI-I (Duties Not Involving Internet) tomorrow, but avail after that.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I think it's worth it.  CAPCAP would encourage Wannabes to think their services are actually valuable to the country and a legitimate form of service.  So would an expanded benefits program.  Silly Wannabes! 

Now for this benefit/discount...could I get a nice discount on HK?   >:D  Thaaaaat would be nice.  I guess that I should buy something before NHQ sends them a C&D letter for doing something irrelevant/annoying to RM.  CAP's Echelons Above Reality are well known for being razor-sharp focused on only what will directly improve the mission.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JC004 on August 02, 2011, 12:51:47 AM
I think it's worth it.  CAPCAP would encourage Wannabes to think their services are actually valuable to the country and a legitimate form of service.  So would an expanded benefits program.  Silly Wannabes! 

I don't think that most people that volunteer their services (time, talent, & treasure) to CAP are looking at the "membership benefits" page on the National website and this is what sways them to join   Hey I didn't even join the AF for the benefits. Again, perhaps CAP needs to look at benefits that specifically help the members in their CAP duties/performing missions as the priority.  IF others think that it's more important to get discounts from other non related vendors, that's your opinion, and I will retain my opinion :angel:
RM       

JC004

They won't.  That's good.  A good number of people have joined the military for benefits, but that is irrelevant.  Most of the information should be in e-Services anyway, so people don't swipe codes.  May National work out ALL SORTS of deals that are helpful to the things people need for CAP AND helpful to them in their lives as a thank-you for their dedication and bearing the great costs associated with CAP.

GroundHawg

Back on topic, Buds is a great business that I have dealt with for many years.
Regardless if you feel that they should or should not or if we should accept or not, they offer CAP a discount.
If you really want to get on my good side, look up Doublestar, quality firearms made right here in Kentucky at very good prices.  ;)

KyCAP

Maybe while some of you are here for the conference --- there is time for a side trip to Bud's.   It's an hour away and they have a $4 million indoor range less than 1 year old complete with full auto rentals by the hour..   >:D
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

abdsp51

They should be careful I have seen gunshops shut down for selling weapons at LE/MIL pricing for those not in those fields.

AirDX

Bud's is a good operation; I bought a rifle from them and the service (and price) was great.  I'm happy to see this discount being offered to us.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.