Civilians in the civil air patrol.

Started by jgdeleon31, May 04, 2011, 03:35:14 AM

AirDX

Quote from: Eclipse on May 07, 2011, 05:01:46 AMIn most cases CAP presence on a military base predates and outlives the base commander, who's tenure is usually 3-4 years.  We are (hopefully) a full tenant, but in some cases our presence is through the direct benevolence of a single person and the base commander may have no direct knowledge of anything but our basic authorization to be there.

Whether or not the base commander is aware we even have "capabilities", let alone how to request them, or the inclination to do so,
is usually a product of the unit commander and the State Director, and in all cases it is a relationship that has to be husbanded in the highest order, especially when random people wander on base from outside and mess around with relationships that have taken years to build.
+1

A very accurate and succinct description of the most common situation.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on May 07, 2011, 05:01:46 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 07, 2011, 12:32:49 AMThe AF knows what our missions are and where units are on military installations the commander & his staff are aware of CAP.   Most Base Readiness Officers have now gone through the On Scene Commanders Course and are familiar with CAP capabilities and how to request support.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.
You are entitled to your opinion, based upon YOUR CAP experience -- In my wing CAP has specifically picked up some missions because the base was familiar with CAP's capabilities.  All new base commanders have to receive training as Incident Commanders (aka On Scene Commanders) and there is a CAP capabilities portion of that training.  Just as the readiness officers on each base go through that same training and are advisers to the Commander.  Additionally CAP unit PAO's (on that military base)  should send the military PAO office a copy of all press releases because some of these are briefed at weekly (military) wing staff meetings 

In most cases CAP presence on a military base predates and outlives the base commander, who's tenure is usually 3-4 years.  We are (hopefully) a full tenant, but in some cases our presence is through the direct benevolence of a single person and the base commander may have no direct knowledge of anything but our basic authorization to be there.
I would agree with you that some CAP units are actually the longest serving volunteer units on the military base (we've been on base about 50 years).  I would also agree with you that there are many changes in Wing & Base Commander's.   What we've done locally is usually to take up the Wing Deputy Commander for Operations, Vice Commander, or Commander in a CAP Cessna 182 for a local orientation, and this has been a win situation for CAP.  CAP units on military bases have formal agreements for use of buildings etc (that's one of the state directors' functions), a single military base commander just can't at his/her whim throw the unit off base.   

Whether or not the base commander is aware we even have "capabilities", let alone how to request them, or the inclination to do so, is usually a product of the unit commander and the State Director, and in all cases it is a relationship that has to be husbanded in the highest order, especially when random people wander on base from outside and mess around with relationships that have taken years to build.

Many state directors are overwhelmed (because the manning document uses square mileage as a basis for state directors manning versus total number of units/total personnel supported) and are restricted (even though on salary can't work very much overtime per HQ CAP-USAF policy -- even though some would work much longer) and primarily focus on logistical type support that CAP units may need from military base.  (Of course they also have audit responsibility on some aspects of AF missions flown)  In some instances tenant units on military bases may be allowed direct access to contact points on the base and the state director is just copied on everything going on

Again I think most of you have to remember that we are volunteer unpaid CIVILIANS and not paid military personnel in our roles as CAP members. So from a local operations planning perspective CAP MIGHT be included as a friendly force in the Disaster/Readiness Plans, BUT there is a reluctance to use volunteers (and that would include Red Cross Volunteers at military hospitals) as the primary critical support (versus and potential secondary source when things calm down), and when I use to write the ops plans and annexes it was a 'possible' source of assistance, not a given.       

The CyBorg is destroyed

RM:

I don't think there's a one of us in this organisation that doesn't know we are "volunteer, unpaid civilians."

You might want to check out AFI 10-2701, Organisation And Function Of The Civil Air Patrol, just to see the ways the AF can make use of us.

www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI10-2701.pdf

I keep a copy of it in my binder.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

Sir, remember, some of us can't become members of the military just yet  ;) .

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Littleguy on May 09, 2011, 01:42:42 AM

Or at all, like me (medically disqualified).

AngelWings

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 09, 2011, 02:04:31 AM

I'm sorry to hear that.

RADIOMAN015

And I might add that I do have the utmost respect for those individuals that I know would be very good military members but can't meet the medical standards.   Civil Air Patrol as an auxiliary of the USAF is also service to America and please consider staying in the program.
RM 

AngelWings

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 09, 2011, 02:11:26 AM

And I might add that I do have the utmost respect for those individuals that I know would be very good military members but can't meet the medical standards.   Civil Air Patrol as an auxiliary of the USAF is also service to America and please consider staying in the program.
RM
What some people lack medically gain in intelligence. I've experienced this first hand, except it was my fault. I've been overweight since the latter of my childhood, which I was underweight severely, and have been alienated from a lot of physcial things for a while. Up until recently, I only had intelligence and a great memory/brain. It will never leave me how I felt a lot of physical things could have used my intelligence and abilities. Just for good news about me, I've lost 30 pounds since march, and have a few more to go. I owe it to this organization for giving me the integrity and the will to change for the better. Anyways, I should stay on topic about the subject.