Civilians in the civil air patrol.

Started by jgdeleon31, May 04, 2011, 03:35:14 AM

jgdeleon31

What is the deal with some of them!? geez, I've done my share in the military in the infantry and now as a drill sergeant and trust me when I say I'm a nice guy and relax but by the book, but seriously? Do some people out there need to act like if they are greater than God? I have noticed that most guys that have the almighty attitude have never served in the military. I had a freaking SM come to me with an attitude today and all I could do was laugh at him lol  I really thought it was funny as hell, but man, in my unit we got some SM that think they know it all and are uniform nazis ( and don't even know 39-1 )  and freaking scream at the cadets like if they were at parris island lol

You know the other day I had this LT Col tell me I couldn't wear my CIB ( Combat Infantry Badge ) , well thank God I always look everything on the regs before I do it lol and keep copies lol This person started going off and bla bla bla, you all should off seen her face when I pulled 39-1 lol then she goes " that must be new" lol then she wanted to pull rank on me and got even more pissed off when I told her that we both got the same pay grade lol 

Anyways even today this Rambo SM started going off on cadets and he goes, " I have never served in the military but got family members that have and KILLED PEOPLE, so I know what is like" oh my god I wanted to walk in there and slap him lol

Honestly no offense to some of you civilians that are helping with the program, I do know a lot that are great people, with great knowledge of many things but for all of you that wear the uniform and have an attitude of " Chuck Norris " in reality you are disrespecting the uniform and the program and other members, bite your tongue and leave all that yahoo chuck norris delta forces seal team six attitude for the house.  And people please!!! if you're going to wear the AF Style uniform! GET IN FREAKING SHAPE!!!! and that goes for pilots! I hate getting on a C172 with a 400 pound guy!! If you want to pretend that you're military then guess what! WE DO PT EVERY DAY IN THE MILITARY!! GET ON IT!

Now you all need to check fire and get with the program.

There I got it of my system now, now I feel better lol  ;D

Infantry leads the way.

mclarke

Um, where to start.
1. We are the civilian axillary.
2. Chuck Norris served in the Air Force (just thought I would point that out)
3. I can not agree more with you. I was an 11B, however, even when I use my experience in CAP to relate, I am not arrogant. I simply share my knowledge and move on. Sometimes it relates, other times no. My question is, why is a SM "yelling" at a cadet or anyone to begin with? We are not allowed to yell at anyone. Just a thought (maybe someone should be notified?)

jgdeleon31

Yeah we are the civilian aux, but we follow military bearings, but some SM think that being in the CAP gives them the rights to be [Attempted Filter Subversion]. excuse my french, and my favorite statement is " in the military people do it things like this" bla bla bla whatever.

And I do agree as a SM we should not be yelling at cadets or no one at all. We are more  mentors and instructors than anything else.

Oh forgot to mention lol  One of the SM in my unit filed a formal complaint against me today because I've been flying O-rides in the last week 1/2 to other squadrons and not ours, and supposedly that is against regulations!  Saying that before I fly anyone from another squadrons  that I needed to notified my squadron and fly our cadets first lol  and bla bla bla.

I thought Chuck Norris was a Navy Seal..... I mean they killed Bin Laden...

Infantry leads the way.

mclarke

Quote from: jgdeleon31 on May 04, 2011, 03:51:09 AM
Yeah we are the civilian aux, but we follow military bearings, but some SM think that being in the CAP gives them the rights to be D!cks. excuse my french, and my favorite statement is " in the military people do it things like this" bla bla bla whatever.

And I do agree as a SM we should not be yelling at cadets or no one at all. We are more  mentors and instructors than anything else.

Oh forgot to mention lol  One of the SM in my unit filed a formal complaint against me today because I've been flying O-rides in the last week 1/2 to other squadrons and not ours, and supposedly that is against regulations!  Saying that before I fly anyone from another squadrons  that I needed to notified my squadron and fly our cadets first lol  and bla bla bla.

I thought Chuck Norris was a Navy Seal..... I mean they killed Bin Laden...

SeAL 6? Naw, but I did read a book about team6 from the guy who formed the team way back. They put him in prison for his "tactics" that were at the time considered unorthodox (Um, hello, there called "special forces").

No, he was Air Force. If I remember correctly, he learned and started Tang Soo Do (Tae Kwon Do) in Korea actually, which is how he got started in the martial arts.

jgdeleon31

I honestly had no Idea he really served in the military.   That's pretty cool .

Infantry leads the way.

MIKE

Quote from: jgdeleon31 on May 04, 2011, 03:51:09 AMI thought Chuck Norris was a Navy Seal..... I mean they killed Bin Laden...

He was Air Force Security Forces... Got his start in Martial Arts while stationed in Korea.

Jesse Ventura was a SEAL. (UDT technically, IIRC.)
Mike Johnston

mclarke

Quote from: MIKE on May 04, 2011, 03:57:40 AM
Quote from: jgdeleon31 on May 04, 2011, 03:51:09 AMI thought Chuck Norris was a Navy Seal..... I mean they killed Bin Laden...

He was Air Force Security Forces... Got his start in Martial Arts while stationed in Korea.

I hear Mr. Rogers was a SeAL as well.

Woodsy

Quote from: mclarke on May 04, 2011, 04:01:50 AM
Quote from: MIKE on May 04, 2011, 03:57:40 AM

I hear Mr. Rogers was a SeAL as well.

That's been around a while, but it's just an urban myth...  He never served in the military. 

Eclipse

This isn't a "CAP issue", it is a "people issue" - go to a CERT team, ARC, the CGAux, ARES, RACES, Sea Cadets, Boy Scouts, local condo board, etc., and
you will find people who joined for the wrong reasons, don't understand the respective organization at a fundamental level, and make life difficult for
their fellow members as if that was one of the missions.

Speaking to your particular case, anything unusual that shows up on a CAP uniform is bound to raise eyebrows, and despite the realities of the world today, the CIB is still unusual enough as to be questioned by unit members who don't have much contact with the military.  There are also plenty of badges, devices, and other accoutrement which are not authorized, and plenty of people who wear them anyway (both innocently and on purpose).
One would like to think these things would be handled professionally and discreetly, but of that brings us back to the above.

Bear in mind that the average CAP member is non-military, non-LEA/FD, etc., who has little contact with the military and has gained most of his "knowledge" from hearsay and movies.  The NCO relationship, especially, is lost on the average member, just as it is lost on 99% of John Q. Public.
Further, though there has been an overt effort to raise the bar on professional development and promotions, there are still plenty of people in CAP
wearing clusters who got them through simply sitting in the right rooms with the right people, and really have no idea how to comport themselves
as either officers or even managers of process or people.

The best thing you can do is bide your time, be polite, professional, and arm yourself with the regs.  Nothing hacks off a blow hard more than being
told to go "salute yourself" in a calm, professional tone, with irrefutable verbiage to back up the salutation.  And bear in mind that even the PITA's
are volunteers, just like you, there on their own dime, trying to do the best they can with uneven training and inconsistent regulations.

"That Others May Zoom"

jgdeleon31

Oh yeah, every time someone opens their mouth, I pull the regs on them.  Yeah some people are sure are on a mission, and then again some other civilians SM are great, is just a hand full that give others a bad name.  I really tried to avoid them but sometimes you just can't help it lol .

Infantry leads the way.

EMT-83

Competent professionalism works both ways. Your comments about the "civilians" hint towards an attitude on your part as well.

If you constantly have to "pull the regs" whenever someone opens their mouth, just why are you getting into these confrontations?

DogCollar

Sgt., thank you for your service.  Especially thanks for your work as a DI.  My son graduated BT at Ft. Sill at the end of November, and I now have an informed respect for the DI job!

Many people in every place in society, (civilian, military, business, family, school, church...etc...) confuse authority with power.  Power involves lording over people because you can.  Power is the indiscriminate use of authority.  I like to point out that authority and authentic come from the same etymological root.  People respect authority that is authentic...and authenticity comes mainly (not solely) from experience.

I do hope that you will continue to have patience with us civilians who have not served in our nations military.  It is my hope that your authenticity will be recognized and respected by your CAP peers.  Once again, thanks for all you do. 
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Major Lord

While driving cadets back from Encampment a number of years ago in San Luis Obispo, one cadet told me that their Senior Member Tac had told them that Mr. Rogers was a Marine Sniper with 93 confirmed kills ( Sorry Carlos, for  they know not what they say) and had to wear sweaters to hide his tattoos. I had to pull over on the shoulder to keep from crashing because I was laughing so hard. If I would have had a glass of milk I would have spit it though my nose. Sweet mother of Buddha!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RiverAux

Wow, should we also start the thread on prior-service folks who think they are actually still in the military also?

For every single example you gave we could come up with counter examples of prior-service folks doing the exact same thing.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on May 04, 2011, 01:58:39 PM
Wow, should we also start the thread on prior-service folks who think they are actually still in the military also?

For every single example you gave we could come up with counter examples of prior-service folks doing the exact same thing.

Sadly true.  There are a lot of ex members who felt their military experience gave them the right to push people around, or imparted some "extra" abilities, when in fact CAP's loose interpretation of a paramilitary environment can actually make it harder for those with military experience.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

With 30K+ senior members in service now and with hundreds of thousands having served over the course of the CAP careers of many of those here, there are prime examples of just about every type of senior member doing something idiotic or against regulations.  Such folks come from every type of background imaginable. 

James Shaw

Quote from: Eclipse on May 04, 2011, 04:35:13 AM
This isn't a "CAP issue", it is a "people issue" - go to a CERT team, ARC, the CGAux, ARES, RACES, Sea Cadets, Boy Scouts, local condo board, etc., and
you will find people who joined for the wrong reasons, don't understand the respective organization at a fundamental level, and make life difficult for
their fellow members as if that was one of the missions.

Speaking to your particular case, anything unusual that shows up on a CAP uniform is bound to raise eyebrows, and despite the realities of the world today, the CIB is still unusual enough as to be questioned by unit members who don't have much contact with the military.  There are also plenty of badges, devices, and other accoutrement which are not authorized, and plenty of people who wear them anyway (both innocently and on purpose).
One would like to think these things would be handled professionally and discreetly, but of that brings us back to the above.

Bear in mind that the average CAP member is non-military, non-LEA/FD, etc., who has little contact with the military and has gained most of his "knowledge" from hearsay and movies.  The NCO relationship, especially, is lost on the average member, just as it is lost on 99% of John Q. Public.
Further, though there has been an overt effort to raise the bar on professional development and promotions, there are still plenty of people in CAP
wearing clusters who got them through simply sitting in the right rooms with the right people, and really have no idea how to comport themselves
as either officers or even managers of process or people.

The best thing you can do is bide your time, be polite, professional, and arm yourself with the regs.  Nothing hacks off a blow hard more than being
told to go "salute yourself" in a calm, professional tone, with irrefutable verbiage to back up the salutation.  And bear in mind that even the PITA's
are volunteers, just like you, there on their own dime, trying to do the best they can with uneven training and inconsistent regulations.

+1 -  I agree with Eclipse, Its a people issue.

I would also like to add that how you choose to deal with the person has just as much impact on the overall program. It you approach or respond to them as a DI than you are going to get a negative response. Instead of pulling out the regs everytime you have an occurance "make them" look it up if they question the validity. That way it will have a greater impact on them having to have searched for it. You stand firm on the regs and make them prove themselves wrong.

If you see a SM yelling at the cadets as you have described then it needs to be stopped immediately. Politely walk over there and ask to speak with the instructor alone and talk to them. Sometimes people are just blind to their own behaviors and do not realize what they are doing or how they are treating others.

Several years ago I had an instructor working for me at my DOJO. I had parents and kids coming to me when she wasnt their and complain about how she talked to the kids. She was calling them names such as idiot, lazy and the like. I talked to her about the concerns and she said she didnt do that. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt and told her to be mindful that these are kids and students. I received more complaints a few days later. This time I setup a camera in my office and recorded her bahavior while I was gone. When I returned I called her into the office and showed her the video and pointed out her behavior. She never did it again.

My point...she proved herself wrong.

BTW - Civil Air Patrol was started by Civilians, NHQ is primarily staffed by Civilians, we are a Civilian Auxiliary, and most importantly Volunteers.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Flying Pig

Yup.  Probably depends on your job.  As an infantryman in the Marines I PT'd pretty much every morning that we werent in the field.  If it was a black flag day, we PT'd in the evening before we secured. Mon-Fri without fail.  The entire Company.  Maybe not as a company, but each Plt PT'd.  Slightly different way of life when your a grunt and your ENTIRE unit lives in the barracks TOGETHER and everyone of them are single.
I can only think of a few times where it was cancelled for weather.  I remember many times at Camp Lejeune running in the rain, freezing cold singing cadences about the Chosin Resevoir.  In Korea in the mud and the pouring down rain, we still had to go hit the pull up bars in the make-shift PT area.

jgdeleon31

I agree with some of you were we got some prior services who  think they're playing a part in an action movie! But thank God we don't have any like that in my unit, actually in my squadron the more lay back personnel are the prior services guys, and still by the book, and yeah this is a civilian organization started by civilians but guess what, we wear the uniform and follow military bearings, and when we wear that uniform not only we're representing the CAP or USAF, we're representing our flag, country, and Americans,  and most people in the civilian world don't even know what CAP is, so we're also representing the US Military, and trust me when I say that there is always someone looking out there for our mistakes.  Be proud.

I agree with you Eclipse, anything abnormal in a uniform raises and eyebrow, but there is always a single sheet of paper that can fix that, a 214.  Plus there is also 39-1 that says what can and can't be wear. 

I'm a very relax person, but when I see a 50 year old acting like he's the [mess] and yelling at the cadets and obese and wearing the AF style uniform and you can see his gut hanging, that's a big no no for me.  Anyways I was just ranting and I feel good now, but also what I'm trying to say to civilians an prior guys, don't act like drill instructors with the cadets, that's not our job, teach them discipline but know were to draw the line.  Also enforce the height and weight regulation on uniforms,  I'm sure no one here wants anybody in their squadron looking like larry the cable guy in uniform.

Infantry leads the way.

jgdeleon31

When I was active duty we also pt'd every single day under rain, cold weather, even in iraq in 2003 in the middle of a 120deg temps, and now that I'm in the Army Reserve I'm in a unit that does a pt test every months and to pass you have to score 80% minimum on each event.

Infantry leads the way.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Sergeant Garcia:

Stand down for a moment, please.

First - we are ALL civilians in the CAP, uniformed civilians, with the exception of the CAP-USAF personnel and ANG/AFRES personnel assigned to "oversee" us.

Second - A senior member of any rank should NOT be yelling at cadets, or anyone yelling at anyone for that matter.  I have never tried to play Drill Sergeant in CAP and if someone were to do it to me, I would politely say, "Sir/Ma'am, when you can speak to me in a civilised manner, I will be happy to address your concerns."

Third - Eclipse is 100% right.  This is a PEOPLE issue.  Believe me, I've seen some bad actors in the actual military too...but they can be dealt with through the UCMJ.  Our disciplinary procedures are much different.

My father was in the United States Army - two years active, two years National Guard.  I have the utmost respect for the Army.  I served alongside a former Army Drill Sergeant and respected him greatly.  However, he knew - as you should - that the tactics of a Drill Sergeant, Drill Instructor, Military Training Instructor, Company Commander or Recruit Commander are not suitable for CAP.  What you can do in Basic Training can easily cross the line into hazing in CAP.

Also, I doubt a "400 pound guy" could pass an FAA flight physical, much less be a pilot in CAP.

There are those who do pretend they're in the military in CAP - and you will find them as well in the CGAUX, NSCC, etc.  Those are the ones who joined for the wrong reasons.  Usually the bad actors either adjust or find they don't go very far.

Weight is an issue in the CAP - just as it is in all of American society in general.  As a society, we are way too obese.  Some of it is due to bad diet/exercise, but some of it also has to do with hormones, thyroid issues, medication side-effects, etc.  And some of us are just getting older.  I know at 45 I'm not the slender beanpole I was at 25.

BTW, my unit CC is a retired Marine.

I echo what others have said...if you feel the need to be confrontational whenever someone "opens their mouth," you should not be surprised you are having issues in CAP.

Maybe this organisation is not right for you.  Maybe it is.  Only you can come to that conclusion.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

manfredvonrichthofen

I understand where you are coming from Garcia. Having been active as a cadet, then going into the Army and now a SM. When I was in the Army I went to a couple of meetings at the local squadron and watched the active duty Army soldiers that had been cadets interacting with the cadets. I talked with them about how they shouldn't be yelling at the cadets the way they were, and I did it with respect. It got me into some trouble being that one of them was an NCO in my battalion. I couldn't get through to them and decided not to join at that time and that I didn't want to be associated with them.

There is only one time to yell, and that is if someone is doing something dangerous and won't listen or if someone is in danger. Other than that no one should be yelling.

There are certain things that can come and cross over into CAP from the military and if you have that knowledge, share it, don't horde it so that you can be hot [mess]. I can understand that that is how you are, you share your knowledge with those that will listen, and for that I am grateful.

You know what they say, stay in your lane and watch your targets.

jgdeleon31

Well CyBorg, first of all yes a big man can pass a first class physical to be a pilot, go look at the regionals now days, we have a bunch of obese pilot, my point when it comes to that is that if you don't meet the height and weight, don't wear the uniform, and actually that's in the regs. 

Second at the squadron I sure don't bring my Drill mentality into play, I do know I'm dealing with kids, and around most of this civilians who act the part they don't need to be acting well I ignore them until they approach me with an attitude and then I try to handle it the best I can, now in front of cadets, trust me I will bite my tongue and handle it different.

Now is CAP not for me? well lets say joined back in 1994 as a cadet and I enjoy being in it. This is the first time I have express myself like this and I feel I should of done it a long time ago.  Everyone should follow the regs and there should be no exception to height and weight when it comes to uniform.

We do have a SM that yells at cadets, the one I was referring and he's statements last night were not appropriate, my cc was there and parents and no one complaint, good for him then. 

Infantry leads the way.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Sergeant Garcia:

I know what is in the regs at least as well as you do.  I have a Master rating in Administration, which goes all the way back to when I first joined CAP (1993) as an SMWOG in the hated berry boards era.  That included many hours of having The Big Blue Binder of Regulations and Manuals discombubulated on my living room floor with endless attachments and addenda inserted making sure that the regs were up-to-date, when you had to get them from National, not just go online and get them.  I have seen all the permutations of CAPR 39-1 ever since then...and I would be very surprised if there is ever a definitive 39-1 compiled.

The height/weight guidelines prescribed for CAP are in some ways even more restrictive than for the Air Force itself, because they do not take into account the issue of body mass/body fat.  I personally knew several ANG SNCO's who would not have been able to wear the AF uniform in CAP, because they fell outside the numbers.  There are guys who pump iron and have arms bigger around than my legs with probably .0000000000001% BMI and cannot wear the CAP AF uniform, because they fall outside the H/W numbers.

CAP tried to do a compromise uniform with the CSU, and it was very well received, but for reasons best known to them, because they won't divulge it to us, they dropped the blade on it.

You say that you "ignore" most of the "civilians" until they approach you "with an attitude" and then you try to "handle it the best you can."  I am just hypothesising here, but is there a chance that you are approaching them "with an attitude?"

I am not trying to antagonise you, Sergeant, but I am trying to ascertain how much of the problem is these "civilians" and how much may be you.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Flying Pig

One of the biggest issues I had was coming off deployment and 4 years active duty as an infantryman and joining the Reserves and being surrounded by people who had never been on active duty! Wheeeeeeew!

These issues will continue as long as we continue to recruit from the human race.  Anyone have an ideas?

lordmonar

I don't see it as a problem.

If you see it...correct it.

If that does not work contact your chain of command.

If that does not work contact the IG.

If after all that....it still does not work.....maybe you should ask "is it me?"

It is not a us vs them.....ex military vs never been military.  It is about individuals who don't know or wont follow the rules for what ever reason.

When I see it...I correct it and/or report it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyboy53

Quote from: jgdeleon31 on May 04, 2011, 03:35:14 AM
What is the deal with some of them!? geez, I've done my share in the military in the infantry and now as a drill sergeant and trust me when I say I'm a nice guy and relax but by the book, but seriously? Do some people out there need to act like if they are greater than God? I have noticed that most guys that have the almighty attitude have never served in the military. I had a freaking SM come to me with an attitude today and all I could do was laugh at him lol  I really thought it was funny as hell, but man, in my unit we got some SM that think they know it all and are uniform nazis ( and don't even know 39-1 )  and freaking scream at the cadets like if they were at parris island lol

You know the other day I had this LT Col tell me I couldn't wear my CIB ( Combat Infantry Badge ) , well thank God I always look everything on the regs before I do it lol and keep copies lol This person started going off and bla bla bla, you all should off seen her face when I pulled 39-1 lol then she goes " that must be new" lol then she wanted to pull rank on me and got even more pissed off when I told her that we both got the same pay grade lol 

Anyways even today this Rambo SM started going off on cadets and he goes, " I have never served in the military but got family members that have and KILLED PEOPLE, so I know what is like" oh my god I wanted to walk in there and slap him lol

Honestly no offense to some of you civilians that are helping with the program, I do know a lot that are great people, with great knowledge of many things but for all of you that wear the uniform and have an attitude of " Chuck Norris " in reality you are disrespecting the uniform and the program and other members, bite your tongue and leave all that yahoo chuck norris delta forces seal team six attitude for the house.  And people please!!! if you're going to wear the AF Style uniform! GET IN FREAKING SHAPE!!!! and that goes for pilots! I hate getting on a C172 with a 400 pound guy!! If you want to pretend that you're military then guess what! WE DO PT EVERY DAY IN THE MILITARY!! GET ON IT!

Now you all need to check fire and get with the program.

There I got it of my system now, now I feel better lol  ;D

OK, frankly, I want to say, you are the one who needs the attitude adjustment or get with the program. With the ribbon counter you have going (according to your signature box), you should know by now that it is your duty to lead and/or follow, or get out of the way and let someone else more concerned with mentoring others have a crack at modifying the behaviors/appearances/leadership skills of the senior members around you.

My point to you is venting....and venting is healthy...but it is you who has the responsiblity to be the example to the cadets who look up to you and the other senior members you serve with. Citing a regulation is a good thing; setting an example and mentoring the senior member is better. Afterall, you should know by now, as an Army junior NCO, that your leadership skills must have a positive reinforcing impact on those around you in order to achieve the missions/tasks/assignment/orders given to you.

One more thing. Perhaps you should take some leadership lessons from Chuck Norris instead of slamming him. He was after all in Air Force Security Forces, serving in Korea (you had to be there and it was probably before you were born), and the example he sets even today still shows excellence in all he does. Try to match it...and by the way, I'm former Air Force Security Forces, too.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: EMT-83 on May 04, 2011, 12:13:38 PM
Competent professionalism works both ways. Your comments about the "civilians" hint towards an attitude on your part as well.

If you constantly have to "pull the regs" whenever someone opens their mouth, just why are you getting into these confrontations?

Sometimes they come to you.   

I wear my specialty badge on the right side of my service coat above the nameplate (as authorized in 39-1).   I've been questioned on it -- a lot -- by higher ranking officers (including one Lt. Col who should have known better..)   When I show them 39-1, I get the same argument - "It must be new".   When I point out that 39-1 was last revised in 2006, I am met with utter silence.

I have observed one SM acting like DI Gungho with Cadets, and I pulled that unit's CC aside (I was on Group Staff at the time) and we had a discussion about where the line was and the relative position of that SM's actions.    He had been aware of it ("Him being him" explanation), but apparently lacked the backbone to bring it up lest (gasp!) the SM decide to quit.   He said he would talk to him...   Hopefully he did.

We have all sorts in CAP - uber-military types, no military bearings whatsoever types, and everything in between.   Sadly, extremes on either end are allowed to flourish and set that unit's "standard" and no one is typically held accountable.     

If we want to fix this across the board, then Unit CC's need to learn to not be afraid to lose a member who doesn't want to get with the program (either coming up to standards or "down" to them).   Incoming members will learn what is "normal" from those already in the unit; if the unit is not setting the proper example, the Unit CC should address and not worry about the number of members on paper.    Eventually, the unit's members will come around to the "new norm".

And (since it seems to be a point of contention), IWNITM (I was never in the military), but have worked alongside them professionally for years, including 13 months in the sandbox.   It probably would be a good idea for CAP and USAF to have some more interaction so that CAP members with no military experience get an idea of how things "really" work, and USAF could get a better understanding at the local level of what CAP does and its capabilities.    I think both would ultimately benefit - but it would take a while.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 05, 2011, 12:54:36 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on May 04, 2011, 12:13:38 PM

And (since it seems to be a point of contention), IWNITM (I was never in the military), but have worked alongside them professionally for years, including 13 months in the sandbox.   It probably would be a good idea for CAP and USAF to have some more interaction so that CAP members with no military experience get an idea of how things "really" work, and USAF could get a better understanding at the local level of what CAP does and its capabilities.    I think both would ultimately benefit - but it would take a while.
I don't see why any CAP member needs to take the time to have any interactions with AF personnel to see how things "really work"  --  Who cares :-\

The AF knows what our missions are and where units are on military installations the commander & his staff are aware of CAP.   Most Base Readiness Officers have now gone through the On Scene Commanders Course and are familiar with CAP capabilities and how to request support.
RM

Persona non grata

This is why when on AFB we should wear red colored flight caps and orange reflective vests that say CIVIL Air Patrol. >:D
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

cap235629

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 05, 2011, 03:22:10 AM
One of the biggest issues I had was coming off deployment and 4 years active duty as an infantryman and joining the Reserves and being surrounded by people who had never been on active duty! Wheeeeeeew!

These issues will continue as long as we continue to recruit from the human race.  Anyone have an ideas?

I think the answer lies in creating a cybernetic life form. We can use them for menial labor and to fight our wars for us. We can call them "Cylons" has a nice ring to it.

All of this has happened before.

So say we all.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

davidsinn

Quote from: cap235629 on May 07, 2011, 01:25:29 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on May 05, 2011, 03:22:10 AM

I think the answer lies in creating a cybernetic life form. We can use them for menial labor and to fight our wars for us. We can call them "Cylons" has a nice ring to it.

All of this has happened before.

So say we all.

We'll have to add some programming to them to protect human life. The required programming could probably be boiled down to three logical tests. We'll call them laws...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SARDOC

Quote from: davidsinn on May 07, 2011, 02:11:08 AM

We'll have to add some programming to them to protect human life. The required programming could probably be boiled down to three logical tests. We'll call them laws...

Or Prime Directives...if you will

davidsinn

Quote from: SARDOC on May 07, 2011, 03:02:54 AM

Naw. I like my three laws. "Three Laws Safe" could be the tagline to the ads...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JoeTomasone

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 07, 2011, 12:32:49 AM

I don't see why any CAP member needs to take the time to have any interactions with AF personnel to see how things "really work"  --  Who cares :-\

I wouldn't expect you to.

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 07, 2011, 12:32:49 AM
The AF knows what our missions are and where units are on military installations the commander & his staff are aware of CAP.   Most Base Readiness Officers have now gone through the On Scene Commanders Course and are familiar with CAP capabilities and how to request support.

Not in my experience.   The local base near me knows us well; we support an airshow every year, and a squadron meets on base (in their own building).   However, I have met lots of folks there who had no idea what CAP was - even amongst those tasked to work with us.     I'm not surprised when the SP at the gate has to confer with a supervisor to confirm the funny looking "USAF Auxiliary" ID card -- because he had no idea that USAF had an auxiliary.   

Don't get me wrong - it's bound to be that way; it's not like we actively and in a coordinated fashion market ourselves to USAF at any of the lower echelons.    But even on bases that have a CAP presence, the knowledge quotient amongst the AD folks remains quite low, again, in my experience.   

RVT

Quote from: SARDOC on May 07, 2011, 03:02:54 AM

BY YOUR COMMAND

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 07, 2011, 12:32:49 AMThe AF knows what our missions are and where units are on military installations the commander & his staff are aware of CAP.   Most Base Readiness Officers have now gone through the On Scene Commanders Course and are familiar with CAP capabilities and how to request support.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

In most cases CAP presence on a military base predates and outlives the base commander, who's tenure is usually 3-4 years.  We are (hopefully) a full tenant, but in some cases our presence is through the direct benevolence of a single person and the base commander may have no direct knowledge of anything but our basic authorization to be there.

Whether or not the base commander is aware we even have "capabilities", let alone how to request them, or the inclination to do so,
is usually a product of the unit commander and the State Director, and in all cases it is a relationship that has to be husbanded in the highest order, especially when random people wander on base from outside and mess around with relationships that have taken years to build.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 07, 2011, 03:29:37 AM
But even on bases that have a CAP presence, the knowledge quotient amongst the AD folks remains quite low, again, in my experience.

And much of that can be laid directly at the feet of the United States Air Force.

They do not educate Airmen about us.  It would take absolutely nothing away from BMT, except for maybe deletion of a marathon dorm cleaning/underwear folding activity, to educate these new E-1's about their Auxiliary.  They have to learn about the Guard and Reserve, so there is no excuse for not learning about us.

I have increasingly found that there are really only a few segments of the Air Force who do know about us:

• Former cadets
  • AF personnel with a CAP cadet in the family
  • Older SNCO's, especially ANG/AFRES
  • Officers O-4 and up
  • Those with dual AF/CAP membership
  • Those directly involved with supporting CAP; i.e., CAPRAP

Others tend to lump us into the following categories:

• Who the hell are they?
  • Why is that old geezer wearing a uniform with funny-looking grey insignia?  That's the oldest Lieutenant I've ever seen.
  • Oh, crap...they're the wannabe "officers" who try and give us a hard time for not saluting them.
  • Why is that little red-white-blue Cessna allowed to land here?

A lot of those impressions are based on rumour and hearsay passed around via stories like the recent CAP Major who wrongly chewed out an Airman for not saluting her, and the entire CAP gets tarred and feathered with it.

The thread about that topic on Military Times' website included a comment from an Airman who said "my TI said that if you meet CAP personnel, ignore them."  That is inexcusable and quite unprofessional from an MTI.

But I don't solely blame the Air Force...after all, there are segments of our membership who would like us to be just a flying ES group with no uniforms and no affiliation to the AF.

I wonder if a poster like this would be laughed out the door nowadays...

:(
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AirDX

Quote from: Eclipse on May 07, 2011, 05:01:46 AMIn most cases CAP presence on a military base predates and outlives the base commander, who's tenure is usually 3-4 years.  We are (hopefully) a full tenant, but in some cases our presence is through the direct benevolence of a single person and the base commander may have no direct knowledge of anything but our basic authorization to be there.

Whether or not the base commander is aware we even have "capabilities", let alone how to request them, or the inclination to do so,
is usually a product of the unit commander and the State Director, and in all cases it is a relationship that has to be husbanded in the highest order, especially when random people wander on base from outside and mess around with relationships that have taken years to build.
+1

A very accurate and succinct description of the most common situation.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on May 07, 2011, 05:01:46 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 07, 2011, 12:32:49 AMThe AF knows what our missions are and where units are on military installations the commander & his staff are aware of CAP.   Most Base Readiness Officers have now gone through the On Scene Commanders Course and are familiar with CAP capabilities and how to request support.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.
You are entitled to your opinion, based upon YOUR CAP experience -- In my wing CAP has specifically picked up some missions because the base was familiar with CAP's capabilities.  All new base commanders have to receive training as Incident Commanders (aka On Scene Commanders) and there is a CAP capabilities portion of that training.  Just as the readiness officers on each base go through that same training and are advisers to the Commander.  Additionally CAP unit PAO's (on that military base)  should send the military PAO office a copy of all press releases because some of these are briefed at weekly (military) wing staff meetings 

In most cases CAP presence on a military base predates and outlives the base commander, who's tenure is usually 3-4 years.  We are (hopefully) a full tenant, but in some cases our presence is through the direct benevolence of a single person and the base commander may have no direct knowledge of anything but our basic authorization to be there.
I would agree with you that some CAP units are actually the longest serving volunteer units on the military base (we've been on base about 50 years).  I would also agree with you that there are many changes in Wing & Base Commander's.   What we've done locally is usually to take up the Wing Deputy Commander for Operations, Vice Commander, or Commander in a CAP Cessna 182 for a local orientation, and this has been a win situation for CAP.  CAP units on military bases have formal agreements for use of buildings etc (that's one of the state directors' functions), a single military base commander just can't at his/her whim throw the unit off base.   

Whether or not the base commander is aware we even have "capabilities", let alone how to request them, or the inclination to do so, is usually a product of the unit commander and the State Director, and in all cases it is a relationship that has to be husbanded in the highest order, especially when random people wander on base from outside and mess around with relationships that have taken years to build.

Many state directors are overwhelmed (because the manning document uses square mileage as a basis for state directors manning versus total number of units/total personnel supported) and are restricted (even though on salary can't work very much overtime per HQ CAP-USAF policy -- even though some would work much longer) and primarily focus on logistical type support that CAP units may need from military base.  (Of course they also have audit responsibility on some aspects of AF missions flown)  In some instances tenant units on military bases may be allowed direct access to contact points on the base and the state director is just copied on everything going on

Again I think most of you have to remember that we are volunteer unpaid CIVILIANS and not paid military personnel in our roles as CAP members. So from a local operations planning perspective CAP MIGHT be included as a friendly force in the Disaster/Readiness Plans, BUT there is a reluctance to use volunteers (and that would include Red Cross Volunteers at military hospitals) as the primary critical support (versus and potential secondary source when things calm down), and when I use to write the ops plans and annexes it was a 'possible' source of assistance, not a given.       

The CyBorg is destroyed

RM:

I don't think there's a one of us in this organisation that doesn't know we are "volunteer, unpaid civilians."

You might want to check out AFI 10-2701, Organisation And Function Of The Civil Air Patrol, just to see the ways the AF can make use of us.

www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI10-2701.pdf

I keep a copy of it in my binder.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

Sir, remember, some of us can't become members of the military just yet  ;) .

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Littleguy on May 09, 2011, 01:42:42 AM

Or at all, like me (medically disqualified).

AngelWings

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 09, 2011, 02:04:31 AM

I'm sorry to hear that.

RADIOMAN015

And I might add that I do have the utmost respect for those individuals that I know would be very good military members but can't meet the medical standards.   Civil Air Patrol as an auxiliary of the USAF is also service to America and please consider staying in the program.
RM 

AngelWings

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 09, 2011, 02:11:26 AM

And I might add that I do have the utmost respect for those individuals that I know would be very good military members but can't meet the medical standards.   Civil Air Patrol as an auxiliary of the USAF is also service to America and please consider staying in the program.
RM
What some people lack medically gain in intelligence. I've experienced this first hand, except it was my fault. I've been overweight since the latter of my childhood, which I was underweight severely, and have been alienated from a lot of physcial things for a while. Up until recently, I only had intelligence and a great memory/brain. It will never leave me how I felt a lot of physical things could have used my intelligence and abilities. Just for good news about me, I've lost 30 pounds since march, and have a few more to go. I owe it to this organization for giving me the integrity and the will to change for the better. Anyways, I should stay on topic about the subject.