Main Menu

New Look for Website

Started by EMT-83, January 03, 2011, 08:39:31 PM

ProdigalJim

Whether a work in progress or not...you don't go live when it's that far from being finished. :o
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

brasda91

Have any of you sent your comments up the chain?  I see alot of of good comments on how it needs to be changed, but unless you voice your comments with your higher command, these comments here are in vain.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

A.Member

Quote from: ProdigalJim on January 06, 2011, 02:53:40 AM
Whether a work in progress or not...you don't go live when it's that far from being finished. :o
QFT!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Pylon

Quote from: brasda91 on January 06, 2011, 03:58:32 PM
Have any of you sent your comments up the chain?  I see alot of of good comments on how it needs to be changed, but unless you voice your comments with your higher command, these comments here are in vain.

Yes and no.  The website is an initiative of the NHQ staff, which reports to the Executive Director.  They do not report to Maj Gen Courter or anybody in the volunteer chain of command.  The Executive Director and Maj Courter are on equal footing in the org chart and both report to the BOG.  Parallel structures, really.  As far as I understand it, volunteer members may contact NHQ staffers directly without having violated any chain of command — since the NHQ staffers are not in our chain of command.

Also, I have a feeling one or two people from NHQ's staff and the national volunteer leadership browse this site from time to time.  Voicing concerns here can have (and, on occasion, has made) impact.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

I see submission of ideas related to the web site dying quickly in the chain.  For instance, auto-detect on RSS feed (like CAPTalk has) - that'll get lost/ignored somewhere.  They need a company that uses a comprehensive process.  They could even just hire or get pro bono work from a company like mine and focuses heavily on process and industry standards - simply have them do a bunch of the little things as upgrades more or less to the site.  All that little stuff matters - especially when the site lacks any real implementation of industry standards.  Heck, I'd consider still doing my long-ago offer of having my company do it for free.

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on January 07, 2011, 09:15:20 PM
I see submission of ideas related to the web site dying quickly in the chain.  For instance, auto-detect on RSS feed (like CAPTalk has) - that'll get lost/ignored somewhere.

I brought that up around my parts and was told "no one uses RSS"...

((*sigh*))

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2011, 09:57:27 PM
I see submission of ideas related to the web site dying quickly in the chain.  For instance, auto-detect on RSS feed (like CAPTalk has) - that'll get lost/ignored somewhere.

((*sigh*))

Heh. 

Which translates roughly to: "I haven't personally been able to figure it out, therefore it's not important.  We can completely disregard the millions of people who read blogs, forums, and news streams solely through RSS and things like Google Reader.  We don't need them anyhow... humbug..."
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2011, 09:57:27 PM

((*sigh*))

Thanks for telling me.  I can remove the feed from Pylon's site and take it off my web development checklist. 

meganite

Quote from: sardak on January 04, 2011, 05:26:41 AM
The biggest problem I see is that our three missions have been relegated to stamp sized images with titles in a lower corner

This. These at LEAST need to be the main link from that badly-photoshopped-and-hopefully-soon-to-be-improved image on the homepage. Actually at a first glance, the image looked ok. But it took me about 30 seconds to realize how badly photoshopped it was >_<

Also... the heart... CAPCares... I actually didn't believe they could have possibly put that on the site until I followed the links. Yikes.

Functionality/load times seem to have been improved, and content seems to be in the process of being updated... guess I'll wait a bit longer before making any other complaints :)