How do you track your scanner/observer missions?

Started by cmoore, August 09, 2006, 11:23:14 PM

cmoore

I'm wondering what some of you experienced scanners and/or observers use
to keep track of your missions.  It looks like several of the awards are based
on number of missions flown or number of mission hours.  Are there any
standard forms that people are using for logging these?
1st Lt Chris Moore
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14

shorning

Pylon

I currently use a log book.  The CAP Observer/Scanner Log book.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jayleswo

Hey Chris,

I use a logbook as well. It is one of the old CAWG Scanner/Observer books (no longer available) with extracts from the old ES Manual (50-15) and grid references. It has logbook pages with columns for date, Mission#, Location, Aircraft Type/ID, MP Signature, Grid, Sortie Time and Remarks. So, every mission I fly as Observer, I have the MPS sign my logbook. I also keep an Excel spreadsheet with the same data (used to be FileMaker Pro but who uses that anymore!). The book also has the old BANDS form used for sortie planning, reference and to log sightings in grid. I'll show it to you at our next meeting if you like, maybe you would want to assemble something similar for your own use.

-- John
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Monty

Aside from these GREAT suggestions, there are a few other things out there to help.  (It's CAP, the land of double-double documentation!)

SIMS, should your unit use it, has a function inside that allows one to track these things as part of your master record (which is partnered from the CAPF 45 in the first place...of course folks document their stuff there also).

Last but not least...good 'ole MIMS isn't great for recording your time but, you surely know that the missions you fly for your rating(s) must be there too.

Good luck!  Getting scanner seemed to be fast for me.....everything for observer EXCEPT the individual search patterns for me has been easy.  Just need to either get rich and pay for the flights to do the search patterns as an observer or wait till the creek rises (been waiting since January.)

ande.boyer

Quote from: msmjr2003 on August 10, 2006, 06:43:20 PM
Getting scanner seemed to be fast for me.....everything for observer EXCEPT the individual search patterns for me has been easy.  Just need to either get rich and pay for the flights to do the search patterns as an observer or wait till the creek rises (been waiting since January.)

Its kinda late this year, but you can get everything for Scanner and Observer knocked out in a week at NESA.  I was MS qual'd when I went and had done nothing toward MO whwen I went.  I got all the bookwork done AND all the flights done in a week.  For the all inclusive $155, it's not a bad deal.  (btw, if you can afford it, I highly recommend staying off-site at a hotel.  The NESA provided lodging is old army barracks w/no air conditioning....not the most pleasent of sleeping quarters in the middle of the hot,  humid Indiana summer).

S!
-ande

cmoore

Quote from: Pylon on August 10, 2006, 05:12:51 AM

That sounds like what I'm looking for - where does one find one of those?

Chris
1st Lt Chris Moore
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14

Pylon

Quote from: cmoore on August 13, 2006, 06:29:53 PM
Quote from: Pylon on August 10, 2006, 05:12:51 AM

That sounds like what I'm looking for - where does one find one of those?

Chris

CAPMart used to carry them.  Vanguard doesn't list it on their online catalog, but I would call nonetheless.  Vanguard may have inhereited the leftover stock from CAPMart.

It's a great book, built the same way as a professional pilot's log book, with the observer wings and "Civil Air Patrol Scanner/Observer Log" hotfoil stamped into the red-ish cover.  Plenty of pages, lots of space, enough columns to do the job, and specifically designed for CAP scanners and observers.

Hopefully they're still around.  Someone must have made them, and the leftovers from CAPMart have to be somewhere.   Good luck!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP