A possibility of more work for CAP?

Started by Texas Raiders, February 17, 2013, 03:00:56 PM

Texas Raiders

With budget cuts that would reduce US Coast Guard surface and air operations by 25%, CAP may see more work.  The DHS is slashing the budgets of the US Coast Guard as well as immigration, customs, and border protection starting March 1.  From The Day (a newspaper based in New London, CT, the home of the USCG Academy)- http://www.theday.com/article/20130214/NWS13/130219784/1047/NWS

The Coast Guard has a history of doing more with less and has surely demonstrated that ability in the wake of 9/11 and transfer under DHS.  As we say in the USCG, "Stand by for heavy rolls!" or more appropriately, "Semper Gumby."
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
399th Comp. Squadron,  Danbury, CT "Yankee Hatters"
IAFF Local 1567
USCG- 1998-2010   Boatswain's Mate
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

RiverAux

Well, even if the disruptions were this severe, which I sort of doubt, they're going to be pretty short term and I don't think that they would result in much increased use of CAP on behalf of the CG.  Most of these missions are not ones that CAP has either the legal ability or the equipment to perform. 

That being said, I'm still surprised that the AF and CG haven't gotten around to merging a lot of the CG Aux aviation activities into CAP.  While it would require some minor regulation changes to implement, it would save a lot of money and reduce redundancy. 

Woodsy

Quote from: RiverAux on February 17, 2013, 03:08:02 PM
That being said, I'm still surprised that the AF and CG haven't gotten around to merging a lot of the CG Aux aviation activities into CAP.  While it would require some minor regulation changes to implement, it would save a lot of money and reduce redundancy.

One of the major issues is the dominance of member-owned aircraft in CG Aux. aviation.  CAP, on the other hand, hates member-owned aircraft, and with the exception of a few emergencies or special requirements of HLS missions, doesn't use them, 

Eclipse

Quote from: Woodsy on February 17, 2013, 04:07:03 PMCAP, on the other hand, hates member-owned aircraft,

CAP doesn't need member-owned aircraft, there's a big difference, and frankly, seeing what some MOAs look like, and / or how some
of our members treat CAP's airplanes, I wouldn't be too inclined to want MOAs involved, either.

Not to mention that you can't depend on them being available.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on February 17, 2013, 04:51:54 PM
Quote from: Woodsy on February 17, 2013, 04:07:03 PMCAP, on the other hand, hates member-owned aircraft,

CAP doesn't need member-owned aircraft, there's a big difference, and frankly, seeing what some MOAs look like, and / or how some
of our members treat CAP's airplanes, I wouldn't be too inclined to want MOAs involved, either.

Not to mention that you can't depend on them being available.

Maybe I wasn't clear earlier, but I completely agree with everything you said. 

The only time I've seen a MOA used in FLWG since I've been around is during a large scale HLS mission.  They needed something with more speed for one of the evolutions and brought in a member owned twin just for that.  I can understand it for that situation, but for general operations, SAR, DR, O-rides, etc., there's no need. 

The CG Aux aviation units wouldn't "fit in" within the CAP culture. 

Eclipse

^ Fair enough, and your situation is precisely why the allowance for use of MOAs still exists.

But CAP doesn't "hate" them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Re: A possibility of more work for CAP?

To the OP: NO.

When I talk to new members they all expect we have Fossett, missing hiker, over due planes or space shuttle debris missions frequently.

All you can do is train and prepare and the day will come. But it might not be this month or this year. YMMV 

Texas Raiders

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 20, 2013, 10:03:22 AM

When I talk to new members they all expect we have Fossett, missing hiker, over due planes or space shuttle debris missions frequently.

All you can do is train and prepare and the day will come. But it might not be this month or this year. YMMV

Well, I'm not new to CAP, nor am I new to the USCG.  The purpose of this thread was to make an announcement about a subject that may possbily bring CAP some more missions as a result.  Notice the words "may", possibility", and "possibly".  Those words indicate variables.  You can't predict emergencies or other instances when CAP will be needed.  The same goes for the entire emergency services field.  You are 100% correct in your statement about training and preparation and the fact that you never know when or where the missions are going to come.  However, you should'nt answer, "NO" in regard to a subject with so many variables and so much uncertainty. 

Maybe I should have chosen a different name for the topic.  Let's call it, "DHS budget cuts may or may not affect Civil Air Patrol's amount of activity." 

Just inspiring a little conversation.  YMMV. 

SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

PHall

Quote from: Texas Raiders on February 20, 2013, 02:53:18 PM

Well, I'm not new to CAP, nor am I new to the USCG.  The purpose of this thread was to make an announcement about a subject that may possbily bring CAP some more missions as a result.  Notice the words "may", possibility", and "possibly".  Those words indicate variables.  You can't predict emergencies or other instances when CAP will be needed.  The same goes for the entire emergency services field.  You are 100% correct in your statement about training and preparation and the fact that you never know when or where the missions are going to come.  However, you should'nt answer, "NO" in regard to a subject with so many variables and so much uncertainty. 

Maybe I should have chosen a different name for the topic.  Let's call it, "DHS budget cuts may or may not affect Civil Air Patrol's amount of activity. 

But CAP's budget will feel the cuts too. So how will CAP be able to "pick up the slack" from the Coasties?

Texas Raiders

Quote from: PHall on February 20, 2013, 02:57:24 PM
Quote from: Texas Raiders on February 20, 2013, 02:53:18 PM

Maybe I should have chosen a different name for the topic.  Let's call it, "DHS budget cuts may or may not affect Civil Air Patrol's amount of activity. 

But CAP's budget will feel the cuts too. So how will CAP be able to "pick up the slack" from the Coasties?

That's a great question and I don't have a definitive answer for ya.  However, I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility for the DHS to turn to volunteer organizations like CAP or the USCG AUX for more assistance.  Those organizations are frequently referred to as "force mulipliers".  Good conversation.
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567